Notifications
Clear all

goat milk?

MemberMember
(@mike_wf)

Posted : 12/17/2007 6:42 pm

I know dairy is a common acne trigger. Would goats milk products (like cheese or protein powder) also be bad for acne?

MemberMember
(@pixxekurlz222)

Posted : 12/17/2007 6:56 pm

I have goat's milk yogurt (Redwood Hill Farm brand) everyday and it does not break me out. If your lactose intolerant (which I am) it is okay to have. It will not upset your digestion. Just make sure whatever goat's milk product you choose that it is free of antibiotics and added hormones.

MemberMember
(@happy-face)

Posted : 12/18/2007 1:16 pm

I have recently started my switch from cow milk to goat milk. The brand that I drink is Meyenberg. They also make goat cheese and goat butter which I am also interested in trying. I didn't make this switch because of acne but I saw that this has much better health benefits in general than cow milk. The taste is a lot different than cow milk, and for me this is going to take some getting used to. Right now I am mixing cow milk with goat milk just to make the switch a little easier. Pretty soon I am going to drink the goat milk just by itself. It's not a bad taste... just a little unusual. Here is the Meyenberg goat milk ad:

Think you can't drink real milk?

Think Again!

MEYENBERG Goat Milk is a natural choice if you have difficulty drinking cow milk or soy products, or if you just prefer a healthy alternative.

Worldwide, more people drink goat milk than any other milk. Today more Americans are discovering the benefits of goat milk for a variety of reasons:

. Easier to digest

. Higher in many vitamins and minerals than cow milk

. Delicious, creamy taste

Try some today on cereal, in coffee, with cookies, in your favorite recipe, or anywhere else you enjoy milk.

MEYENBERG Goat Milk is all natural and contains no growth hormones or preservatives

Contains:

13% more Calcium

25% more Vitamin B6

47% more Vitamin A

34% more Potassium

than cow milk

For complete nutritional information, visit our website at www.meyenberg.com or call us at 1-800-891-GOAT

MEYENBERG

Goat Milk

The Other Real Milk

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 12/18/2007 1:32 pm

goat cheese and milk is fine for me

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/28/2012 11:38 pm

Personally, I break out from goat's milk products.

I previously had not been consuming any dairy for 5 years because cow's milk gave me terrible acne.

I reintroduced some goat milk yogurt, ate it for 3 days straight, and developed 4-5 small inflamed pimples. My menstrual period was almost over, too, which is when my skin usually clears up, so that was not a factor. I also had some unusual/uncomfortable gas from it.

Pretty much convinced that the hormones naturally present in any animal's milk can still act as a trigger for acne in susceptible individuals. Also, it still contains some lactose, and therefore can be problematic in terms of digestion for some people.

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 03/02/2012 1:08 am

What about the hormones naturally present in humans?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 03/02/2012 11:49 am

i know this was just an old post resurrected by mistake, but i have info to add something anyways about goats milk, its 3x higher in octanoic acid then cows milk. octanoic acid can be converted within the mitochondira of many human cells to form lipoic acid which is a powerful antioxidant, protecting from excess free radical damage to dna some of the longest lived cultures have ingested goats milk, for example inhabitants of the island of sardinia, where pecorino romano cheese was supposedly popularized/originated from, their cheese is sought after around the world, and it is made from goats milk.

octanoic acid is also found in coconut oil, and human milk is higher in octanoic acid, then cows milk, therefore, this is one dimension whereby goats milk is closer to human breast milk.

MemberMember
(@timetoheal2)

Posted : 10/04/2017 6:06 am

I have personally become ill multiple times from Meyenberg's goat milk / Meyenberg goat milk (refrigerated, full fat, purple-pink and white printed cardboard containers). The cardboard containers are frequently (as in every week or every other week) 'puffed out' in the grocery store, before the the expeiration date. I kept trying it as there was no other source I knew of. I have now given up on it. Getting a pathogen or contaminant or whatever they are placing in their milk that is getting me ill (it is not every carton that does this, and I never, ever drink from a 'puffy'-looking carton) could damage my health worse than the horrid experience of being poisoned few months from the stuff (it's happened 6 times in 1.5 years). This was what I read about Meyenberg's in another forum. It seems to explain why I see the puffiness and why Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other places I've bought it from continue to get puffy and toxic product from them. Internet search these words to see the source of the quote:

"I can't drink the stuff. That brand was the first goats milk I had ever tried and I nearly puked. It turned me off goats for years. After tasting some raw goat milk I decided goats weren't so bad. And now I love them and their milk.

Having been in and around commercial dairy goat farms I can tell you some of the many reasons the milk taste so different from the milk you will get from a backyard farm.

#1. Over pasteurization. They cook the heck out of it.
#2. Mastitis. Many of the farms do not treat mastitis until it gets bad or sometimes not at all unless the goat is bleeding into the milk. 
#3. Heavy use of Swiss breeds. Many Toggenburg and some Alpines have strong milk.
#4. Deficiencies. Many animals just can't get what they need out of a one size fits all mineral.
#5. Dirty conditions. You simply can't keep a pen clean enough when you have hundreds of goats in it.
#6. They are unhappy. A stressed goat isn't going to give you its best.

I have seen one time where one of the does teats rotted off and the whole half of the udder was on its way out but they still milked the other side since it wasn't bleeding or spitting chunks into the milk. You could smell it from feet away. That's not going to make the batch of milk taste good I can tell you that much. As long as the cell counts in the bulk tank are low enough and there is no contaminants in the pasteurized milk they are A-Ok to sell."

987cbdbd-f2fe-4351-85d8-f37b1e2437ca_1.a1ba47b74ac0c0cba0a00b6b5a858b85.jpeg