Notifications
Clear all

My bf made comments about my acne

MemberMember
(@marika0710lgmail-com)

Posted : 04/27/2020 1:18 am

Hi everyone :)

I made this topic because I need an advice. 

Some time ago my boyfriend commented on my acne. I have been fighting acne for 10 years and have already tried everything. Now things have improved a little. He said that it certainly bothers me as a woman and suggested a visit to a dermatologist (he even wanted to squeeze my pimples...). We were at his family's wedding that day, and I had very little time to get makeup and hair done. I felt hurt but I tried to forget about it. 

After some time, he mentioned my acne once again and said we should go to see a dermatologist (because it would help me to feel better with myself). He said it must be some kind of bacteria because he also has skin problems. He literally said he has pimples because we kiss and touch and because of that he has pimples around his mouth. I felt even more hurt and said I don't want to go to the dermatologist because I've already tried and it didn't help me. He said he didn't mean to hurt me but he literally said he has an acne because of me, so.. I know that acne is not contagious but maybe I'm stupid and it is contagious?

Once again, I tried to forget about it and do my thing. But then, his mom said we should go to a dermatologist together ... I felt even worse. 

I think my acne is not that bad anymore and I hate those advices from others. 

Please tell me what do you think about that whole situation because it bothers me a lot. Should I feel hurt?

MemberMember
(@bryan-trejos)

Posted : 04/28/2020 11:30 pm

Quizas dijo los comentarios sin intencion de herirte aunque no fueron apropiados y aparte, claro que no eres culpable, el acne no es una enfermedad contagiosa, creo que es un poco ignorante tu novio ...

Por el tiempo que ha tenido acne, supongo que probastes muchos tratamientos pero ... Probastes todos? .....

MemberMember
(@pia-z)

Posted : 05/07/2020 2:19 pm

Acne is not contagious. I have acne but my husband has super clear skin. I think your boyfriend just wants to help. Tell him to stop bringing it up sinceit clearly bothers you. You have to tell him it makes youfeel bad when he brings it up. Hecan't read minds.Every faceis different and there is no one cure all. I've suffered with acne for years so I feel you. The acne.org regime, specifically the benzoyl treatment is helping me. No, I don't work for them.

MemberMember
(@angel-jmena2011hotmail-com)

Posted : 05/08/2020 5:33 am

You shouldint let that stuff get to you man, i've been struggling with acne for practically all my teenage life and it certainly has gotten better and I remember that everyone used to mention my acne like if I had no clue I had it, i learned that I shouuld just ignore those comments and give passive-aggresive remarks and if that doesnt get through their skull then I straight up tell them "hey man you're sort of being a dick" and acne is definetly not contagious, that's not how acne works, and if you think you look better than before now then you should be happy, i dont think that you should feel ashamed because of your acne, even more I dont think your own boyfriend should be the one making you feel ashamed. I know how it feels like to be recommended a dermatologist, believe me I do. I used to go to my friends house every week or so and their family would be like "yknow theres creams and stuff u can buy for that" and no shit there is i've tried almost every single one of them, and of course im aware that shit exist, they act like if I have a choice to have this acne, it's even more painful when I dont have the finances to get rid of my acne. Dermatologist are expensive and I dont believe people are aware of how expensive they are, and depending on your treatment it could get alot worse. I know how you feel and I believe that u should just confront your boyfriend about this, acne can be very devestating and bad for your mental health and reading this topic made me make an account because I relate to this very much, i'm sorry that you have to go through this too I know how painful it feels, just please try to set up boundaries with your boyfriend concerning your acne situation.

Anna_1912 liked
MemberMember
(@marika0710lgmail-com)

Posted : 05/09/2020 4:19 am

22 hours ago, Angel_2000 said:

You shouldint let that stuff get to you man, i've been struggling with acne for practically all my teenage life and it certainly has gotten better and I remember that everyone used to mention my acne like if I had no clue I had it, i learned that I shouuld just ignore those comments and give passive-aggresive remarks and if that doesnt get through their skull then I straight up tell them "hey man you're sort of being a dick" and acne is definetly not contagious, that's not how acne works, and if you think you look better than before now then you should be happy, i dont think that you should feel ashamed because of your acne, even more I dont think your own boyfriend should be the one making you feel ashamed. I know how it feels like to be recommended a dermatologist, believe me I do. I used to go to my friends house every week or so and their family would be like "yknow theres creams and stuff u can buy for that" and no shit there is i've tried almost every single one of them, and of course im aware that shit exist, they act like if I have a choice to have this acne, it's even more painful when I dont have the finances to get rid of my acne. Dermatologist are expensive and I dont believe people are aware of how expensive they are, and depending on your treatment it could get alot worse. I know how you feel and I believe that u should just confront your boyfriend about this, acne can be very devestating and bad for your mental health and reading this topic made me make an account because I relate to this very much, i'm sorry that you have to go through this too I know how painful it feels, just please try to set up boundaries with your boyfriend concerning your acne situation.

Thank you for the answer and support! It hurt me deeply when he said he has an ance because of me. He also metioned I should change my hairstyle (He said she'll bring me to a stylist). I like wearing my hair simple and natural and I said to him I like to wear my hair down. Idk, maybe I'm too sensitive but it also hurt me. His momalso said we should go to see a dermatologist together. I felt hurt once again. I perfectly know I have an acne .. She also said she'll do my hair one day. I've been struggling with low self esteem for my whole life and now I feel even worse.

MemberMember
(@angel-jmena2011hotmail-com)

Posted : 05/10/2020 5:20 am

On 5/9/2020 at 4:19 AM, Anna_1912 said:

Thank you for the answer and support! It hurt me deeply when he said he has an ance because of me. He also metioned I should change my hairstyle (He said she'll bring me to a stylist). I like wearing my hair simple and natural and I said to him I like to wear my hair down. Idk, maybe I'm too sensitive but it also hurt me. His momalso said we should go to see a dermatologist together. I felt hurt once again. I perfectly know I have an acne .. She also said she'll do my hair one day. I've been struggling with low self esteem for my whole life and now I feel even worse.

I dont think you're being sensitive i believe that your boyfriend and his mother are being quiet inconsiderate of your feelings, I believe you should feel free on how you want to look like and you should be happy being in your own body. And yeah I know that feelings I absolutely hate when people make comments or mention my acne as if I would respond with "Oh I have acne? no way fr? damn didint think that one through thanks for telling me im going to use this information to cure this acne in a snap of my fingers because I WANT this acne". I struggle with self esteem too, i've struggled with it ever since middleschool when people kept telling me about my self and I didint want to hear it anymore, it from "get braces" to "crater head" and I've always absolutely despised it and even if I tried ignoring it, it always etched it self deep within me, scarring my self esteem for practically my whole life.I dont think its fair that him & his mother should be saying that stuff to you instead I feel like they should be encouraging your self confidence and helping you get through this dark moment in your life, I feel like you should let them know your perspective and how you feel about your acne and how much it bothers you that they mention it so much, I also believe you should continue to shape your hair however you want too! I dont think anyone should stop you from being yourself and if you're perfectly happy with how your hair looks like, then keep it that way :D!

Anna_1912 liked
MemberMember
(@marika0710lgmail-com)

Posted : 05/10/2020 10:01 am

4 hours ago, Angel_2000 said:

I dont think you're being sensitive i believe that your boyfriend and his mother are being quiet inconsiderate of your feelings, I believe you should feel free on how you want to look like and you should be happy being in your own body. And yeah I know that feelings I absolutely hate when people make comments or mention my acne as if I would respond with "Oh I have acne? no way fr? damn didint think that one through thanks for telling me im going to use this information to cure this acne in a snap of my fingers because I WANT this acne". I struggle with self esteem too, i've struggled with it ever since middleschool when people kept telling me about my self and I didint want to hear it anymore, it from "get braces" to "crater head" and I've always absolutely despised it and even if I tried ignoring it, it always etched it self deep within me, scarring my self esteem for practically my whole life.I dont think its fair that him & his mother should be saying that stuff to you instead I feel like they should be encouraging your self confidence and helping you get through this dark moment in your life, I feel like you should let them know your perspective and how you feel about your acne and how much it bothers you that they mention it so much, I also believe you should continue to shape your hair however you want too! I dont think anyone should stop you from being yourself and if you're perfectly happy with how your hair looks like, then keep it that way :D!

Your words really make me feel better. It's good to know that someone understands me. And I feel very sorry he heard those comments from people. I'm sure you're a beautiful person inside and outside.

I feel bad because of their words and it bothers me a lot. I feel like he also compares me to his sister. He said she also went to a dermatologist and it helped her. Yeah, but I also tried it and it didn't help me. He said she also went to stylist to change her hairstyle and he annoyed me so much with his words because I don't want to go and I feel pretty good with my hair.