Notifications
Clear all

struggling with adult acne and confidence

MemberMember
(@spencerk16)

Posted : 02/27/2019 2:49 pm

I grew up with pretty clear skin and no issues with face acne in high school. When I turned 18, acne started to become pretty prevalent on my face and continued to spread up my face to my cheeks and under my jawline. Now, 23, acne has become a daily struggle (acne, scarring, redness, irritation)and I've been riding this emotional roller coaster every day. It has caused me to have severe depression and self esteem issues, which is the worst part about this skin condition. I would choose not to hang out with friends or go to class in college due to my acne. There's always a feeling of being judged by random people.It's good to know that we did not cause this to happen to ourselves, but it's very defeating try several different antibiotics and topical treatments that continue to produce zero results. My girlfriend and close friends have very good skin and have not struggled with this and I hate to complain about these issues that I've been experiencing for the past five years. I feel like I'm not 100% taken seriously at work due to my acne, which I feel might hurt me in the long run with promotion opportunities, presentations, etc. I want to take my life back and not let some red bumps on my face determine my mood, my confidence, and, ultimately, how I live my life. What have any of you done to lessen the emotional impact acne has had on your life/find acceptance with who you are and how your skin is? Any feedback is appreciated and would love to hear your thoughts/stories.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 03/04/2019 2:39 pm

I am in a depression due to my skin. I had good skin until @7/8 months ago and it is now disgusting. I am a 44 year old woman and trying desperately to fix this and regain my self esteem. This has been traumatic and devastating to me. I am on antidepressants for the first in my life. I used to be such a happy and positive woman. I pray daily for strength and healing.

MemberMember
(@meeners)

Posted : 03/06/2019 11:28 am

what helped me was to cut out looking at photos of celebrity culture. The illusion of perfect skin is crazy in hollywood! so no more celebrity websites, instagram, etc. A lot of my anxiety went away when I cut out social media and other celebrity-related stuff from my life. but the every day battles...I wish I had more to say about that. Unfortunately that's a lot tougher. you might consider visiting a dermatologist first, and if that doesn't help, maybe some sort of counseling. Are you a student? there is usually free counseling in high school and college campuses. and sometimes community health centers offer free resources (or at least information) as well.

MemberMember
(@tanner94)

Posted : 03/07/2019 7:13 am

literally reading your story, felt like I read my own! I am still and havesuffered from 18 till now 25.

MemberMember
(@spencerk16)

Posted : 03/08/2019 11:14 am

On 3/4/2019 at 2:39 PM, KarenM said:

I am in a depression due to my skin. I had good skin until @7/8 months ago and it is now disgusting. I am a 44 year old woman and trying desperately to fix this and regain my self esteem. This has been traumatic and devastating to me. I am on antidepressants for the first in my life. I used to be such a happy and positive woman. I pray daily for strength and healing.

I hope your situation improves. It really is a battle that I feel like no one understands except the people who are actually experiencing it. Hang in there.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:13 AM, tanner94 said:

literally reading your story, felt like I read my own! I am still and havesuffered from 18 till now 25.

It's the most bizarre thing. Dermatologists are even confused by my skin. They always say you are supposed to grow out if and it just goes away on it's own. It's weird seeing pictures of myself in high school with clear skin, but that just hurts my self esteem even worse. Good luck with your situation and let me know if anything helps!

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 03/08/2019 2:53 pm

I will keep you posted. It's as it every time I think I'm improving,  it just gets bad again. I only eat like 10 things now (no gluten,  no dairy,  no eggs, no sugar, no processed foods, no chocolate). I take zinc, vitamin d, immune support vitamin,  allergy medicine,  probiotics, lysine, omega 3, ... it is so frustrating.  :(

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 03/19/2019 9:53 am

It started around 19, slowely transgormed into cysts, with better periods when I had no cysts just irritatation to 20+ inflammations in one time. Before 30 all meds poss without result. From 30 Roaccutane 5 courses with problem returning... clear from 37-8 with purbreaks after the scars treatments which didnot help.. realized that scars are permanent...now at 45 understand the perspective... this disease destroyed my life and scars will always re,ind about it destroying the rest of it.. can not go put without make up, have to wear the fringe all the time covering the forehead scars(20+)...every day is a srtruggle..

MemberMember
(@charliesangel7)

Posted : 03/19/2019 10:52 am

I feel this. I'm 21 and know this struggle. I'll tell you what I've learned:

-A shift in my thinking and focus on God and the good things in my life has done wonders. Feeding into an obsession with my skin has lot led me to balance or health or better skin, ironically. Instead, I focus on diet, exercise, and taking care holistically. I swear by gluten free dairy free foods,fish oil supplements, and green tea. (just my experience). enter at your own risk~ consult a doctor if you need to

-The BP regimen is more effective on my skin than pricey dermatologist appointments and treatments. For a while i did Retin A which made my skin so sensitive it would literally rub off when I was kissing! ew lol!

- Lastly there are literally so many high profile people I can think of off the top of my head that have acne and aren't ashamed. Lorde, Billie Eilish, Justin Bieber, Kendall J, the list could go on and on. In the end, nobody is perfect.

don't make acne make you feel any lesser. take care of yourself and let go and let God

mas316 liked
MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 03/19/2019 2:47 pm

3 hours ago, charliesangel7 said:

I feel this. I'm 21 and know this struggle. I'll tell you what I've learned:

-A shift in my thinking and focus on God and the good things in my life has done wonders. Feeding into an obsession with my skin has lot led me to balance or health or better skin, ironically. Instead, I focus on diet, exercise, and taking care holistically. I swear by gluten free dairy free foods,fish oil supplements, and green tea. (just my experience). enter at your own risk~ consult a doctor if you need to

-The BP regimen is more effective on my skin than pricey dermatologist appointments and treatments. For a while i did Retin A which made my skin so sensitive it would literally rub off when I was kissing! ew lol!

- Lastly there are literally so many high profile people I can think of off the top of my head that have acne and aren't ashamed. Lorde, Billie Eilish, Justin Bieber, Kendall J, the list could go on and on. In the end, nobody is perfect.

don't make acne make you feel any lesser. take care of yourself and let go and let God

Beautifully said. I have started meditating 3 times a day. I think that's helped.

MemberMember
(@ify01)

Posted : 03/19/2019 4:14 pm

I also have go down that dark road, but I believe time heals all...