Notifications
Clear all

My indented acne scars are taking a toll on my self esteem

MemberMember
(@shiningrstar)

Posted : 07/22/2018 10:29 am

Im a female in my thirties who had cystic acne 15 years ago and has been plagued with indented acne scars since then. The kind of acne scars that are permanent and can never be hidden with makeup. I used to have very clear skin before that that I didnt have to wear makeup. Its affecting my self esteem so badly, especially when some rude people comment on them like this one time when someone told me that she knows that Im insecure about them and that she wants me to meet her plastic surgeon to fix them. I can feel some people stare at my face and I know theyre looking at them. There are times when I avoid looking in the mirror or go out so that I wont see them and others wont notice them. They can look really bad under strong lighting. I feel like a freak when I see other peoples perfect skin. This is so unfair, especially that people tell me that Im pretty. The scarring is moderate and I have some pigmentation. I tried laser treatments, peels and microneedling but I know that nothing will make them go away. I dont want to sound shallow, but looks matter to me and I would find a guy with acne scars unattractive, well maybe because I hate them so much on myself. I feel disfigured because of them. I even went to therapy because of them, but nothing is working to raise my self esteem. Why did it have to be me?

Tarisai liked
MemberMember
(@yungbludcuh)

Posted : 07/22/2018 3:30 pm

We are our biggest critics.. even though you think that people are judging you based on your acne scars, some of them dont even notice them. If you do have scars that are noticeable and controversial from a distance and are bothered by them, you may want to consider investing in a good treatment, there are many treatments out there, some different than others and some may work better than others, there isnt much you can do about acne scars other than take the time in looking for the appropriate treatment with the right dermatologist. You can also try and accept the fact that you have acne scars and try to be comfortable and happy with who you are. Time may not heal acne scars but it may help with you with overcoming the negative thoughts they bring.

Tarisai liked
MemberMember
(@shiningrstar)

Posted : 07/23/2018 10:58 am

Thank you. Ill try.

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 07/30/2018 5:06 pm

I have acne scars (as does my husband - his much worse than mine) and we're currently using the AMP roller from Rodan and Fields. My husband's skin has improved so much that he actually is shaving his beard now, because he doesn't feel like he has to cover it up. It's a derma-roller with microneedles on it that stimulate collagen production.

MemberMember
(@tarisai)

Posted : 08/06/2018 6:44 am

On 7/22/2018 at 5:29 PM, shiningRstar said:

Im a female in my thirties who had cystic acne 15 years ago and has been plagued with indented acne scars since then. The kind of acne scars that are permanent and can never be hidden with makeup. I used to have very clear skin before that that I didnt have to wear makeup. Its affecting my self esteem so badly, especially when some rude people comment on them like this one time when someone told me that she knows that Im insecure about them and that she wants me to meet her plastic surgeon to fix them. I can feel some people stare at my face and I know theyre looking at them. There are times when I avoid looking in the mirror or go out so that I wont see them and others wont notice them. They can look really bad under strong lighting. I feel like a freak when I see other peoples perfect skin. This is so unfair, especially that people tell me that Im pretty. The scarring is moderate and I have some pigmentation. I tried laser treatments, peels and microneedling but I know that nothing will make them go away. I dont want to sound shallow, but looks matter to me and I would find a guy with acne scars unattractive, well maybe because I hate them so much on myself. I feel disfigured because of them. I even went to therapy because of them, but nothing is working to raise my self esteem. Why did it have to be me?

Im can feel you pain and shame cause im going through the same and instead of the problem disappearing its actually getting worse. Have changed my diet and have googled DIY but im afraid of trying any cause don't know how my skin will react. At work people look at me and I know they are busy talking about how nasty I look but don't have a choice but to come to work and face them no matter what. My public life is none existent. I read somewhere that you should focus on the positive side ofyou but how can I with the black scars and pigmentation always takingthe from row sit in my life.