Notifications
Clear all

I'm an singer-songwriter with acne.

MemberMember
(@vavier)

Posted : 11/15/2017 7:02 pm

Boy it is truly a weird time for me. I'm 23, moved to new city/country to pursue music. I'm in the mist of recording my new songs that I'm extremely proud of. Except..acne is getting in the way.

As some of you know, these days, it's not about just having good music, you need the image, THE BRANDING especially. You ARE the product and face of your music.

I really think the music part is almost set. I'm also not a person who cares too much about image/branding but ITS COMPLETELY necessary to have good music AND branding. So I'm working on my image. And It's frustrating! I know there's photoshop and stuff like that but I don't even want to look in the mirror anymore. I just want to vent ahhhh.

Little backstory

I have had mild/mod acne on and off for about 8 years now. But now it's crucial to be clear, but in fact, it's the worse it's ever been. I tried so many things. Diets/meds/creams/washes. Stupid Oily skin is stubborn and so pathetic.

MemberMember
(@draci)

Posted : 11/15/2017 8:40 pm

1 hour ago, vavier said:

Boy it is truly a weird time for me. I'm 23, moved to new city/country to pursue music. I'm in the mist of recording my new songs that I'm extremely proud of. Except..acne is getting in the way. 

As some of you know, these days, it's not about just having good music, you need the image, THE BRANDING especially. You ARE the product and face of your music. 

I really think the music part is almost set. I'm also not a person who cares too much about image/branding but ITS COMPLETELY necessary to have good music AND branding. So I'm working on my image. And It's frustrating! I know there's photoshop and stuff like that but I don't even want to look in the mirror anymore. I just want to vent ahhhh. 

Little backstory

I have had mild/mod acne on and off for about 8 years now. But now it's crucial to be clear, but in fact, it's the worse it's ever been. I tried so many things. Diets/meds/creams/washes. Stupid Oily skin is stubborn and so pathetic. 

Hey vavier, your are completely right that our society is obsessed with beauty and perfection. But increasingly our society admires self-esteem, authenticity and strength. If you make authentic music about how you feel and make societies obsession with perfect looks a theme in your music you might be able to touch peoples "authenticity nerves". this might be a lot more impressive and impactful than just being another perfect looking mainstream musician. It would also be more inspiring.

That said when I was a teenager I wanted to become a rapper and I was actually really good. People told me that even mainstream rappers have nothing on me... ( rapping is not that hard lol :) )

Sooooo, I really suffered with my acne and took accutane. I suffered many long term side effects: daily nausea and chronic fatigue for years. These side effects alone made me incapable of living a normal life. I wont list all the side effects I suffered, but one of them, dry vocal chords, made rapping impossible.

I would not risk any long term side effects, especially if music is your passion you shouldn't risk damaging your voice. Accutane does this by permanently drying out your body...

vavier liked
MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 12/14/2017 3:34 am

I totally agree. We live in a world where clear skin, a sexy body and a beautiful face have become standards. It makes me really sad. :(