Notifications
Clear all

Experiences with therapy?

MemberMember
(@avalati)

Posted : 11/08/2017 10:21 pm

My acne has been increasingly destroying me physchologically and making me super depressed I'mthinking about if I should get a therapist or no... I've been avoiding it so far because 1)money 2)time 3)I feel kinda dumb going into therapy about skin :/? is that normal?

I have hormonal acne and Im pretty sure it appears based on my period cycle or stress. and I am a VERY stressed out person. I'm a student and I'm constantly working on homework and worrying about my grades to keep my scholarship. And I have a lot of hobbies I really want to keep up with too... I'm just a very stressed and anxiety filled person in general all the time which is definitely not good for my skin.
And as my skin has gotten horrendously worse over the past few years, it added a major source of stress. I have breakdowns over my skin pretty frequently, It's always on my mind, I'm always concious and stressed about it. It's making me very depressed constantly..

Since I'm so busy with school and stuff I only want to do therapy is it's really worth my time.... Venting about acne online and venting about it to someone who is physically looking at my face are very different... I'm very shy and anxious about that too..
I'm okay with being stressed and sad but I'm not okay with my skin because it's destroying me..
Have any of you gone to therapy and had it help with acne? Do you think therapy would genuinely help with my stress enough to a level that would physically actually lessen my acne?? Is it worth it??

MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 11/08/2017 10:49 pm

I love my therapist, but the state pays for my therapy since I'm so poor. Also, finding a good therapist can be time consuming. It's completely normal to want to vent about your skin, but I can't say for sure if it would have an actual physical effect on your body. You said your acne was hormonal, are there any treatments for that? I have a friend with hormonal acne who was told she just needed to take birth control meds to control it.

avalati liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 11/09/2017 4:38 pm

I've had therapy twice, both times were pretty bad experiences. The first one asked me what I would do if I could do anything with my life. I gave the honest answer, that I didn't know, and she became frustrated and accused me of not trying hard enough. The second one just seemed disinterested in what I was saying. If I had unlimited funds I would probably keep trying on the off chance it might work, but I'm not hopeful. From what I can tell you need the right therapist to get anywhere with it, but you can't try before you buy unfortunately.

avalati liked
MemberMember
(@acnelondon)

Posted : 11/10/2017 9:11 am

Hi,

In my opinion seeing a therapist would be very worthwhile - I've been once before and I started off with feeling like my problem was silly or insignificant but we got to a lot of deeper stuff about how I deal poorly with stress (which sounds similar to yourself) and am very harsh on myself in many areas of my life. I don't think we can really take care of ourselves physically, our workloads and our happiness if we are constantly anxious, worries and stressed on the inside and so for that reason I would seriously prioritise finding a good therapist and making it work rather than simply if it fits into your schedule.
Therapy will probably not cure your acne but reducing stress will help. It also should help you to stay calm when you have a breakout - but I would also advise going on combined pill (NOT PROGESTERONE ONLY) for your hormonal acne.

avalati liked
MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 11/14/2017 7:44 pm

The best thing about therapy is that at no point will the therapist say to you, "ya know, some people have it way worse".

avalati and jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@avalati)

Posted : 11/21/2017 9:11 pm

thanks everyone for this advice ;;;!! I'll see if I can try out therapy and see if it makes me feel better.
also yeah, I seriously need to try birth control. I've just been avoiding it b/c I'm kinda wary of the side effects... and also I'm still young & dependent on my parents so I'd have to ask them about it and I don't think they'd like the idea...

ailaeshiz liked