Notifications
Clear all

Minocycline stopped working...now what

MemberMember
(@kuzko101)

Posted : 08/20/2017 11:24 am

I feel hopeless. After 8 months of 100mg minocycline daily, I can unfortunately conclude that the antibiotic has stopped working to clear up my skin. For 2 months my acne has gotten worse, nd every  morning I wake up to new postules and inflamed whiteheads...to the point where it's making me not want to get out of bed. I am unable to go on accutane because I leave for college this week and insurance won't cover it, so i am left with only my tretinoin and BP/clindamycin topical prescribed by my derm to clear up my skin. Since I can't schedule an appointment with my derm (again, I leave to go 8 hours away in 2 days), my questions are...

1) are there any natural ways  control acne? I'm afraid my case is too severe to totally clear up without accutane, but I have been eating healthy is past week  and cutting out dairy in hopes to control it.. keep in mind I start college next week :/

2) how do I quit the minocycline? Since I know it stopped working (I'm afraid it's even making me break out more...) do I wean off it or just go cold turkey

3) what do I tell myself to get out of bed? I know acne is temporary but it's wrecking my self esteem and I don't want it to control me anymore..especially while at university 

feel we to answer all, some, or none of the questions above. Thank you

MemberMember
(@mboat)

Posted : 08/20/2017 5:20 pm

I would suggest you to go for the accutane... just make it possible, Eating healthy did not helped me much. I did the same mistake, now I have scarring as well. If you control it at the right time you can safe it from scarring. I know without insurance is very expensive perhaps. However, if you can afford it or someone can financially support you I strongly suggest you to go for a dermatologist/accutane.

1. If everything fails, yes controling junk and dairy food is your best friend although quite slow to act (so no pizza, no cheese etc) ... perhaps might not even act and hard to follow such a strict diet in college life. Would suggest a sulphur bar soap(helped me alot) specially if u have oily skin.
Silver Serum might also help. (Not suggesting any natural works because they don't really worked for me specially if u have severe)

2. Its definitely not cold turkey. You need some antibiotics to control ur acne. Dermatologist would tell you best.

3. Hardest to answer. I feel you ! It just shattered me at university. Finally I went to the rescue of accutane.