Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else going thought emotional heck due to their worstening acne or am i the only one?

MemberMember
(@tgiles17hotmail-com)

Posted : 05/02/2016 4:26 pm

My acne has gotten progressively worse since October of 2015 until now. Now its the worst its ever been in my life! I started having acne at 15 or 16 and now im 20 and its the worst its ever been! What happened and am I the only one? No matter what i do i cant get it under control. But more than that, its taking its toll on me emotionally. Ive had acne for years now, but never like this and it makes me anxious depressed and scared. Any tips? I hate the stress.

MemberMember
(@alex9945)

Posted : 05/02/2016 5:03 pm

- Cut out all dairy products from your diet
- eat less fruit and more vegetables
- use a lot of coconut oil and olive oil
- eat eggs on a daily basis (good vitamins for skin)
- buy some strong probiotics, for instance from Udo's choice
- you can buy the oil too from Udo's choice for skin benefits

Do lactic acid peels weekly. Thank me later :)

MemberMember
(@bellamartin)

Posted : 05/02/2016 8:33 pm

me tooI am 15...freaking out over my skin I feel so helpless I want to stop it in its tracks! Also annoyed because I too started a topic seeking help and no one is... what skin type are you?

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/03/2016 8:54 am

I know how you feel.

When I am feeling really down about my skin I always have to have a mental pep-talk with myself because I know that to me, my acne is 100x worse that how other people see it. When you are constantly looking at your face, touching your face, and glancing around to see if people are looking at your face it makes you obsess about your skin, and then that's all you can see/think about. Most of it is all in your head. When I go out in public without any make-up on, sometimes I get super self-conscious about my skin and then I snap myself out of it. People might notice that you have acne, but so what? At most they will notice it and then move back on to whatever they were doing. It's human nature to initially be drawn to anything different about a person (and that's true for everything not just acne), but it doesn't mean they are looking at you in a mean, hateful way. No one is going to stare at you, people are still going to treat you the same, planes are not going to fall from the sky and people aren't going to run away screaming because you have acne. 

One time I went to a party without any makeup and my acne was very red and inflamed that night. Of course people could see my acne, but did they point or laugh or look at me any differently? No. We all laughed, joked and played games and had a fun time. Once I stopped worrying about my skin and let myself have a good time, it was so much better. I think it really helps to bring things to perspective when you are feeling very depressed about your skin. You need to remember that your acne is going to seem like the end of the world in your eyes, but really insignificant to to other people. 

Also, you should remember that it IS going to get better! Lots of people have acne and lots of people have cleared their acne. You aren't alone and you won't be doomed to suffering forever. Some tips:

- Talk to your doctor and your dermatologist. Don't be afraid to ask them all your questions and tell them how you are feeling. If they are a good doctor they will listen to you.
- Do your own research on acne, but try not to obsess over it so much that your spending hours a day on the internet reading about acne. 
- Don't change up your skin routine too much as it can cause your skin to become irritated, pick something and stick with it. 
- Don't obsess too much over your skin products. A lot of people start using something, get a new breakout and think that it must have been caused by the product. Acne comes from the inside, so it's very unlikely that any one product is going to make or break your skin. Unless it's burning or irritating your skin, just give it time.
- Be patient. I know it'a hard but realistically nothing you try is going to be an overnight miracle. Whether it be an over the counter product or a prescription, it is going to take time - sometimes weeks or months.

Sorry this was so long! This is just the type of thinking that really helps me on the days that I get myself down. Haha :)

3mrd, QuanHenry and Lore91 liked
MemberMember
(@elee92)

Posted : 05/03/2016 5:59 pm

You're not alone - I know exactly how you feel  I more or less stopped making plans to go out because of my acne and I have no idea how to use concealer/foundation. It's so incredibly frustrating to see my peers with flawless, blemish-free skin and here I am, feeling like I'm still going through puberty with all this red on my face. I'm always too paranoid and anxious to try new foods, try new products, change my shampoos or body wash, detergent, etc. because I'm afraid I'm going to break out. Just today, I contemplated asking my professor if I could take my exam in a separate room because I was/am so embarrassed by my acne....

It's really difficult to walk around in your 20s with acne all over your face and it's even more difficult when people say "don't focus on it" or "it's not that bad." All I can tell you is to stay strong and don't let this beat you down too much (because I'm sure the stress of the acne is causing more acne in a vicious stupid cycle). Drink some tea, take a bath, get lots of rest.Take solace in knowing that you're not theonly one going through this and you're not crazy, vain, etc. for feeling emotional over this (I know I dd and sometimes still do). I know that won't make your acne go away but hopefully knowing that other people are struggling will help bring down your stress.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 05/04/2016 8:32 pm

On 3 May 2016 at 10:54 PM, kelbell812 said:

I know how you feel.

When I am feeling really down about my skin I always have to have a mental pep-talk with myself because I know that to me, my acne is 100x worse that how other people see it. When you are constantly looking at your face, touching your face, and glancing around to see if people are looking at your face it makes you obsess about your skin, and then that's all you can see/think about. Most of it is all in your head. When I go out in public without any make-up on, sometimes I get super self-conscious about my skin and then I snap myself out of it. People might notice that you have acne, but so what? At most they will notice it and then move back on to whatever they were doing. It's human nature to initially be drawn to anything different about a person (and that's true for everything not just acne), but it doesn't mean they are looking at you in a mean, hateful way. No one is going to stare at you, people are still going to treat you the same, planes are not going to fall from the sky and people aren't going to run away screaming because you have acne. 

One time I went to a party without any makeup and my acne was very red and inflamed that night. Of course people could see my acne, but did they point or laugh or look at me any differently? No. We all laughed, joked and played games and had a fun time. Once I stopped worrying about my skin and let myself have a good time, it was so much better. I think it really helps to bring things to perspective when you are feeling very depressed about your skin. You need to remember that your acne is going to seem like the end of the world in your eyes, but really insignificant to to other people. 

Also, you should remember that it IS going to get better! Lots of people have acne and lots of people have cleared their acne. You aren't alone and you won't be doomed to suffering forever. Some tips:

- Talk to your doctor and your dermatologist. Don't be afraid to ask them all your questions and tell them how you are feeling. If they are a good doctor they will listen to you.
- Do your own research on acne, but try not to obsess over it so much that your spending hours a day on the internet reading about acne. 
- Don't change up your skin routine too much as it can cause your skin to become irritated, pick something and stick with it. 
- Don't obsess too much over your skin products. A lot of people start using something, get a new breakout and think that it must have been caused by the product. Acne comes from the inside, so it's very unlikely that any one product is going to make or break your skin. Unless it's burning or irritating your skin, just give it time.
- Be patient. I know it'a hard but realistically nothing you try is going to be an overnight miracle. Whether it be an over the counter product or a prescription, it is going to take time - sometimes weeks or months.

Sorry this was so long! This is just the type of thinking that really helps me on the days that I get myself down. Haha :)

I can't get over just how supportive this is. Everything you say is so true.

i'm going through a tough time where im crying everyday because of my acne, and even considering leaving my job due to the stress it places on my skin. This post is very helpful

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/05/2016 8:11 pm

I get it! When i first started getting acne, it never affected me as much as a teenager as it does as an adult. It's very frustrating and the sad truth of the matter is, there is no clear cut solution. But with that said, while you can't control your skin, you can control your attitude around it. Keep being a people person, keep striving to reach your goals, keep living life. My biggest regret is holding off on so many experiences until my acne cleared. Well guess what, acne is still here and still crappy so i've decided to keep going with my goals and if my acne wants to tag along, it can because it's not going to get the opportunity to stop me a second time.

Chin up luv. You're not alone

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 1:12 pm

Pretty much all of us on this site feel that way!
Those who don't either don't have bad acne, haven't had it very long or are on some good Meds.