Notifications
Clear all

How do you deal with the rudeness....

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/17/2015 8:17 pm

Today I realized that people with skin diseases face alot of discrimination. People are often ignorant and rude. This morning I decided to treat myself today a healthy breakfast wrap. The cashier at Fresh and Company seemed friendly enough. However I noticed that she immediately washed her hands after she handed me back my debit card. I noticed a worker at a bagel shop did the same thing to me about a month ago. Also when I went to purchase a new cell phone. I had to use the in store phone to speak to customer service. The sales person vigorously wiped off the phone before she used it after me. Not only that she proceeded to practically scrub the phone down with Chlorox Wipes. Now if I looked homeless I could understand that. Im tired of people doing that to me. I think its rude and disrespectful. How do I address this type of rudeness ? Lord only know what they do at work to my station after I leave for the evening. The assumption is that people with acne are dirty. Im not the least bit dirty. Im tired of being punished for having acne.

MemberMember
(@rosaceasingapore)

Posted : 12/18/2015 12:17 am

Ignore ignorant people. They don't understand because they have not been diagnosed with this condition. Stay cheerful!

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/18/2015 10:08 am

I try to ignore the ignorant people. It is hard to ignore especially since there is no reason to be so ignorant. If I sneezed in my hand and handed you my card I could see you washing your hands right away because I was being gross. Thanks for responding. I am a cheerful person and this is why it does bother me. All my life Ive wanted to have a lot of friends but my skin has made people shun me.

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 12/18/2015 10:47 am

Bumpee: When the people did those things, did you have active acne that they could easily see? Or did you have mainly just acne scarring?

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@jaures)

Posted : 12/18/2015 11:04 am

Possibly they do this with every customer, some places have strict hygiene rules.

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/18/2015 12:38 pm

@IchhasseAkneRight now its both. UGH. Normally its just the hideous scarring. After doing the glycolic acid treatment, my skin purged and has been looking horrible ever since. So I have a lovely combination of teenage looking acne outbreaks and scarring. Im sure they dont do this with every customer. Just like when the sales clerk in the Sprint Store made it a point to wipe down the phone. Its happened too many times to me before.

People look at me like Im down right nasty. Im hoping this medication my Primary Care Provider gave me will soon start working. Then Im hoping to be able to report back to you all with "see it was not all in my head"

MemberMember
(@sailoruranus)

Posted : 12/18/2015 8:11 pm

@bumpeeI have very low tolerance for rude individuals (next to ignorance)- If someone questions or makes a comment about my acne(regardless of their good/bad intentions) Iwillproceed to ask if they have beeneducated enough to make such a comment on the biological nature of my skin.

As a woman of science, I take pride in educating others. Anyone making a comment about my skin is in big trouble.

Nobody has the authority to make any comments aboutyour skin excludinga professional in the medicalfieldor a magical skin wizard.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/18/2015 8:20 pm

9 minutes ago, SailorUranus said:

@bumpeeI have very low tolerance for rude individuals (next to ignorance)- If someone questions or makes a comment about my acne(regardless of their good/bad intentions) Iwillproceed to ask if they have beeneducated enough to make such a comment on the biological nature of my skin.

As a woman of science, I take pride in educating others. Anyone making a comment about my skin is in big trouble.

Nobody has the authority to make any comments aboutyour skin excludinga professional in the medicalfieldor a magical skin wizard.

Lol, magical skin wizard 😛

MemberMember
(@bumpee)

Posted : 12/19/2015 10:31 pm

Should I be concerned about Site Watch ? LOL

MemberMember
(@wizard17)

Posted : 12/31/2015 5:53 am

Sometimes these people get into my head especially when they START POINTING OUT my skin in front of someone and I would just start crying and bedepressed about it when I get home (btw not the right thing to do).It's just the way I release my anger and frustration. I hope that someday they get to feel what they do to other people.

bumpee liked