Notifications
Clear all

This is Not "Life", but is Simply "Living"

MemberMember
(@eastjune)

Posted : 11/16/2015 10:03 pm

Hi Friends,

I am June. I'm 20, and I have been suffering from severe acne since the age of 12. This is my story:

I grew up in a quaint town in Canada, next to the big city. Entering high-school I remember myself as being the "quiet kid", people would call me, but my demeanor did not illustrate a child of depression, but one simply expecting it. I was, and suppose still am, a sensitive individual - but at the time, an individual with ideas and lingering thoughts more positive than the pessimistic barrier I carry to this day.

I rememberas being the "cool kid", I would have called myself. An individual with an intense ego to compensate for the fact that my life is all but grateful. A life where I am grateful enough to have two parentsin the same house - while my friends'parents were allseparating. Two parents that loveand care for me, yet - the three simplest words I could never muster up the courage to say was "I love you",had I only been able to at least look each of them in the eye - I could have done so, and as the days go by, and the sun sets at the horizon I realize that as my hours pass - it is becoming increasingly difficult to do so. I became incredibly more insecure and found myself distancing from my friends, teachers, and family to the point of total and complete isolation from society; deleting my social mediaand remaining cooped upin my own home for more than eight months each time,apart from carrying out my responsibilities. From this, as my body grew - my mind stayed the the same, trying to reminiscence and re-create the past during a period of my life in which I was able to even look myself in the mirror, butbecame a depressed "has-been".

This is not "life", but is simply "living".

What began as a genuine response that my loneliness meant "savoring my solitude" when asked "Why do notyou come out with us anymore?" and "Where have you been?" - soon became an excuse to mask the thought that perhaps this is the only way to protect myself from the hardships I encounter on a regular basis, in the past, present, and future. The times of emotional turmoil that rendered me speechless: from the time I found drawings of myself covered in blemishes illustrated by my bestfriend, to the number of times people have asked me "Do you even wash your face?"; From the time I made a presentation in class and realized that people were whispering about my cysts, to the number of times people have tried to touch my face. And throughout, to have the hideousness of my skin, due to my acne, be immortalized on camera by people taking pictures of me as if ironically I were the one who didn't seem "human". However strangely, these were not bullies; but friends who simply did not understand - who didn't understand that the measurement of emotional trauma is a subjective process, and not alwayscommunal as it is not always mutually experienced. Because of my new found understandings, I can confidently say that if I could turn back time - I would do so, not to change the past, but simply feel the pain I had felt once before during my darkest days - if it meant ensuring that people would not have to walk in my shoes.

I found myself constantly having to work in clearing my skin, despite exercising daily, eating a clean diet, taking antibiotics, and doing all else necessary - knowingly that my acne would continue to relapse itself soon after.However,from all that I had accomplished during the times where my skin was clear for a brief couple of months, the achievements would soon wither away in the darkness of my dimly-lit room as I shield myself from society for the foreseeable four-to-eight months. Then, having to rebuild my life - once again.

As someone who has suffered from severe acne and depression for a long time now, I hope my experiences may help you realize - that although I amstill climbing out from thisrut, it isnot too late for change. Don't waste your life, nor your youth, losing sleep over the opinions of those whosimply don't understand. Only then, will you be truly free.

Best regards and support,
- June

MemberMember
(@vinhchoet)

Posted : 11/18/2015 8:10 pm

Hi girl,

I'm on the same situation as you. I'm 23 years old girl who suffered acne for 4 years since the second year of university. I've try everything but my acne still came back and really bad. I feel so alone because noone beside me have acne, even my family: my grandparents, parents, sister,... I used to be famous as pretty girl with white skin, study well,... And acne totally ruined my life. I can't hang out with my friends anymore and now i 'm so alone. Yesterday when I came back to my hometown, my cousin smiled at me and said: why your body's skin is so white and smooth, your face's skin is...... ; My grandmother said out loud to everyone know: Don't pick up at your face; your face's skin looks digusting! Others said: you must flirt with boys, noone want to marry you ! look at Trang( she is at the same age as me, she isn't that beautiful but has beautiful skin); so many boys chase her( Sorry I am not good at english).

I'm really depressed. It's not my false; It depends on many factors: the change of the water; the hormon imbalance,...

I try so bad to get out of this ; but how I can while there is noone at the same situation as me in this town ( i must work here for the rest of my life)

MemberMember
(@user194470)

Posted : 11/30/2015 8:40 am

I Love You EastJune. Seriously.

EastJune liked