Notifications
Clear all

Cooped Up In The House

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 12/21/2014 5:59 pm

Have any of you just stopped leaving your home because of your skin? What's the longest period of time you stayed inside?

I haven't left my house in a couple weeks. I'm just over people staring and the anxiety I get because of it. I stayed inside for a few months once in high school when my acne was at its nightmarish peak. Now it's just the scars that keep me inside, but that scares me more honestly. At least with acne, there's hope for it to clear up. These scars are permanent, and make up makes them look worse.

So here I remain, stuck in my house. I know a positive attitude would help, and some self-esteem to overcome the negativity from the outside world. It's just that after a decade of dealing with this my spirit is drained. I feel like a deformed freak of nature. I've really hit an all-time low, and I feel like such a fool being this torn up about skin. I've been crying all day, realizing I will likely never work, date again, or enjoy life. I know it's not just my skin, because others have bad skin and live to the fullest. Just that my face is scarred to hell and so is my spirit.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/21/2014 6:38 pm

Hey thanks for replying to me on my thread! Knowing people that have completely gotten rid of their acne scars or at least a huge improvement is what keeps me going physically and emotionally. Life is an adventure... BUT if it was certain that my face would be plagued with scars my whole life life and there was no possibility for improvement I certainly would have completely shut down every aspect of my life. BUT that's not the case. Like I mentioned, seeing people that have improved their scarring keeps me going as well as reading successful case studies and things alike is very meaningful to me. Also seeing your skin improve, even if it's slow, by getting treatments done professionally or even DIY is also very satisfactory. And that shit drives me to strive for success. Witch is scar revision (90-100% scar correction). I've seen it happen! I don't need any troll to tell me that's not possible

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@acnefighter2014)

Posted : 12/21/2014 9:18 pm

I am guilty of not leaving my house because of acne I feel depressed so I can relate to you in some ways.

People don't seem to understand what it feels like to have this I always end up making excuses not to leave my house because I feel horrible being out and anxiety overwhat people are thinking when they look at me.

I'm just trying to stay positive as hard as it is it's good to talk to people that know what you're going through. Do you wear foundation?

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 12/21/2014 9:21 pm

I got a dui and had my license suspended for 60 days 2 weeks ago. I had to quit my job of delivery driving, and Ive been in the house since.

My dui was for marijuana, no alcohol. I had been feeling suicidal for the majority of the year, and weed was the only thing keeping me alive while still going out in the world with my bad acne scarring. I worked my ass off during that time saving money for laser treatments, and had my first fraxel the day my license was taken. I would say there has been a slight improvement so far and am optimistic to see how it heals over the next couple months. I also got back on retin-a and ambi fade cream which have made a nice difference in the skin tone.

I have also been sober for two weeks now, and have been feeling and looking more like myself a little bit each day. When I get my license back, I will be through 2 fraxels and 2 months of completely letting my skin rest from makeup, sun, and stress. I plan to get my job back at that point and give life another shot.

Edit: I will be 25 in a couple months, and have been dealing with acne since I was about 13. My skin is definitely looking better today than it has since I was 12. Ive come a looong way, and still have a ways to go as these lasers take months to fully regenerate the collagen. I have the money for the treatments, a competent physician to do the procedures, and the determination to stick to my regimen every day for the rest of my life. Im hoping that I can enjoy clear skin in my 30s and 40s.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/23/2014 2:30 pm

I got a dui and had my license suspended for 60 days 2 weeks ago. I had to quit my job of delivery driving, and Ive been in the house since.

My dui was for marijuana, no alcohol. I had been feeling suicidal for the majority of the year, and weed was the only thing keeping me alive while still going out in the world with my bad acne scarring. I worked my ass off during that time saving money for laser treatments, and had my first fraxel the day my license was taken. I would say there has been a slight improvement so far and am optimistic to see how it heals over the next couple months. I also got back on retin-a and ambi fade cream which have made a nice difference in the skin tone.

I have also been sober for two weeks now, and have been feeling and looking more like myself a little bit each day. When I get my license back, I will be through 2 fraxels and 2 months of completely letting my skin rest from makeup, sun, and stress. I plan to get my job back at that point and give life another shot.

Edit: I will be 25 in a couple months, and have been dealing with acne since I was about 13. My skin is definitely looking better today than it has since I was 12. Ive come a looong way, and still have a ways to go as these lasers take months to fully regenerate the collagen. I have the money for the treatments, a competent physician to do the procedures, and the determination to stick to my regimen every day for the rest of my life. Im hoping that I can enjoy clear skin in my 30s and 40s.

That sucks to hear. I've had to force myself out of the house most days because I'm more independent since my mom kicked me out. I used to stay in a lot growing up because of my acne. I felt more comfy where no one could see me. I splurged on videogames and youtube and tried to make some cash if I was skipping school.

My question to QuanHenry, I've been going through some shit, too, recently. I've been homeless this year, but I'm "housed" now. How are you able to stay financially stable after you lost your job, and are stuck in the house? I'm just curious. I completely understand the situation though cuz I went through shit like that too.

QuanHenry liked
MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 12/23/2014 6:16 pm

That sucks to hear. I've had to force myself out of the house most days because I'm more independent since my mom kicked me out. I used to stay in a lot growing up because of my acne. I felt more comfy where no one could see me. I splurged on videogames and youtube and tried to make some cash if I was skipping school.

My question to QuanHenry, I've been going through some shit, too, recently. I've been homeless this year, but I'm "housed" now. How are you able to stay financially stable after you lost your job, and are stuck in the house? I'm just curious. I completely understand the situation though cuz I went through shit like that too.

Damn I know the struggle, my best friend is currently homeless. I was arrested on a night my parents kicked me out in 2 feet of snow, and my tire blew out as I drove past a cop. Just my luck. Fortunately, my parents finally saw how terrible of a situation I was in because of my acne scars, and they took me back in.

Im not exactly financially stable. I knew that this unemployment situation was coming, so I literally worked delivering pizzas all day every day, and hustled every night for months. I slept about 3 or 4 hours a night, if at all. I hated doing all of that but it was the only way I was going to save enough money to pay my fine, and get the laser treatments I feel like my life depended on, and to save money for daily necessities. I payed my student loans and car payment in advance so I dont have to worry about it. I started a "mad money" fund that consisted of adding dollar bills and change that ended up being about $250 that I buy food, razors, shampoo, etc with. I won $150 in my fantasy football league and got a $100 check from my grandfather for xmas. I lent a friend $130 in september when she really needed it and I had it. She payed me back about a week ago. I have some left over cash in my savings account as well. I dont make any stupid purchases anymore and Im saving a fortune by having quit smoking.

When it comes to finances, Ive learned that planning is everything. Spread your money around in to different accounts and investments. I made sure to leave my job at dominos on good terms so I can have that to fall back on if I need money when I get my license back. Im living fairly comfortable right now because I planned ahead, and thanks to a little help from my parents.

fouzi94 and Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/24/2014 9:23 pm

Damn I know the struggle, my best friend is currently homeless. I was arrested on a night my parents kicked me out in 2 feet of snow, and my tire blew out as I drove past a cop. Just my luck. Fortunately, my parents finally saw how terrible of a situation I was in because of my acne scars, and they took me back in.

Im not exactly financially stable. I knew that this unemployment situation was coming, so I literally worked delivering pizzas all day every day, and hustled every night for months. I slept about 3 or 4 hours a night, if at all. I hated doing all of that but it was the only way I was going to save enough money to pay my fine, and get the laser treatments I feel like my life depended on, and to save money for daily necessities. I payed my student loans and car payment in advance so I dont have to worry about it. I started a "mad money" fund that consisted of adding dollar bills and change that ended up being about $250 that I buy food, razors, shampoo, etc with. I won $150 in my fantasy football league and got a $100 check from my grandfather for xmas. I lent a friend $130 in september when she really needed it and I had it. She payed me back about a week ago. I have some left over cash in my savings account as well. I dont make any stupid purchases anymore and Im saving a fortune by having quit smoking.

When it comes to finances, Ive learned that planning is everything. Spread your money around in to different accounts and investments. I made sure to leave my job at dominos on good terms so I can have that to fall back on if I need money when I get my license back. Im living fairly comfortable right now because I planned ahead, and thanks to a little help from my parents.

So Glad to see you made it. I've been hoarding cash for my facial situation, too. How did the treatment go for your scars? Is it better now?

Oh and good luck to your friend. That reminds me when my mom kicked me out last winter! That was a bad ass winter! Like -12!

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 12/24/2014 11:31 pm

I first went to my laser doc a few years ago and got a series of smoothbeam/perfecta treatments that completely healed my red marks. I went for my first fraxel december 9th, and he surprised me with a free partial treatment over the area where my scarring is at its worst. They say results take up take up to a couple months to become noticeable as the collagen rebuilds, but I do think the scars seem slightly tighter already. I go back January 20th for my first full face treatment which costs 1,000. My doctor also threw me a free smoothbeam/perfecta treatment a few years back as well, a value of about 600. He and his staff are awesome, they seem to actually care and take pride in being able to actually help my situation. I honestly dont know what I would do if I didnt find them.

Assuming the treatments work, Ill be posting my full before/after photos on this site, but that is still probably at least a year away.

MemberMember
(@scooobidoobidooo)

Posted : 03/30/2015 5:36 pm

I'm in the same boat, I've gone months without leaving the house. Hang in there though, buddy... You're not alone in this.

Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 04/14/2015 8:52 pm

Kay I feel the same. Every word of your post...I'm on the verge of tearing up. I want to write more details but I am just so mentally/spiritually drained too. I am so sorry. It is ok I am not forcing myself to feel hopeful today either. I am just letting myself be sad. Continuing to look at options but I can't help but be sad. My social life has suffered so much because of this. I miss that side of me...i don't even remember her anymore. I will write more soon...hopefully..i don't even have the energy to type..ugh.

Kay24 liked