Notifications
Clear all

Acne Has Ruined My Life

MemberMember
(@jsm1894)

Posted : 07/08/2014 7:48 pm

Nobody understands. Finally getting off accutane next month and my face is just full of scars and red marks. Hopefully I can start scar treatment 6 months after that. I really don't see myself ever being happy again unless my skin sees noticeable improvement. Sometimes I wonder what there is to live for, or if god would forgive me if I just gave up.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/09/2014 10:20 am

It may seem hopeless now but its not. Think back to a few months ago when you thought acne would never go away and now it has! The red marks will fade since you won't be breaking out on the regular anymore and there are always options for scarring. I thin scarring on a man gives depth and character.

On another note, you can't base your happiness on external things, only on the internal.

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 07/09/2014 1:22 pm

I agree scaring looks good on men, and the redness will fade away..at least your acne is treated. You can always try all the other options for scar...don't wait for any thing to be happy...cause then the wait never ends, its on thing after the other...so good luck

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 07/09/2014 3:53 pm

Scarring looks good on men? This is a first..

MemberMember
(@oneproudmumma)

Posted : 07/10/2014 3:19 am

Hey Jordan, just wanted to say hang in there buddy¦ you have conquered the acne, congrats on that ..now the next stage, you can do this, just think how far you have come. A strong mind and body will pull you through, your not alone :)

MemberMember
(@thedarkknight)

Posted : 07/10/2014 11:37 pm

Stay positive man, you are not alone. The marks can improve or heal with time and the right treatment.

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 08/11/2014 1:26 am

I know what you are going through completely. I had depression because of my acne. It sucks. And it's solely genetics. A part of it is truly accepting that you have acne and scars and just have to deal with it. The way I view having the skin condition is this: we can't trade our skin with anyone else, you are given the skin you are given and you have to work with it. Now, clearing up acne and getting rid of scarring is completely possible, so there is a reason to still have hope. Unfortunately, it takes time. But it is a lesson in itself. Great things are achieved with time, and having the wait for something makes you appreciate what you have even more.

I have read that you had to stop taking Accutane for bowel issues, which is understandable. It is a hard drug. If your body is having complications with the drug being in your system, it is bet to think of other options. Our skin is the first line of defence in our immune system, but unfortunately the main reason people suffer with acne is due to hormonal issues which is linked to genetics. If you would like, you may cut out dairy from your diet, as that helped me when I had acne. And consuming a healthier diet does help your skin, but keep in mind skin cell turnover happens every 30 days, so in a months time we can all notice differences in our skin.

I would highly recommend you heck out the subreddit on reddit called 'skincareaddiction'. It has been very helpful for me.

Some pointers I would have for you to stick to in order to help your skin would be:

1. Sleep on a clean pillow case, chanign it every week. You do not have to change it every other day (I used to do that) because you should be sleeping with a clean face every time and preferably sleeping on your back.
  2. Wash your fcae every morning and every night. Using the right products (right pH, no alcohol or fragrance) is CRUCIAL. I recommend CeraVe's foaming cleanser and use a moisturizer. Here is a website with a list of veyr good cleansers & moisturizers: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/best-skin-care-products/Skin-Care/Cleansers-including-Cleansing-Cloths http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/best-products/
  3. Use sunscreen. Just use it. Sun worsens hyperpigmentation and scarring A LOT. Trust me.
  4. DO NOT TOUCH OR PICK YOUR FACE EVER. ALWAYS BE GENTLE WITH YOUR FACE WHEN CLEANSING AND APPLYING PRODUCTS.
  5. Either do not use hair products or make sure they don't get on your skin.
  6. Stop smoking if you do.
  7. Decrease alcohol and caffeine (dehydrators, everr ell in our body requires water and consuming these beverages is depriving our cells from working efficiently, including creating healthy skin cells).
  8. Drink tons of water, 3L or more a day.
  9. Get good sleep. Try your best. Human growth hormone is secreted in higher amounts when we sleep amongst other hormones and is related to skin production.
  10. You need to be using an antioxidant product for your face to promote healthy skin repair. I use the vitamin C serum by Paula's Choice.
  11. Don' stress about things in your life you can't control. What is the point? Stress affects the body in many ways that smoking affects the body.
  12. Be hopeful. Because, you know what? Things DO get better. And you have to believe in yourself, because if you don't, who will?
  13. Lastly, it can depend on your age of course regarding acne. Teens have it really bad if they get acne. Daily showers preferalby at night are the best option. Time heals everything.

I hope I helped somewhat.