Notifications
Clear all

Hurt

MemberMember
(@girlathome)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:25 pm

My parents refuse to understand how much acne effects me. When I tell my mom I don't think my medicince is working she threatens to stop buying it, and she threatens to ground me for getting upset over how I look and crying.Most days it's a struggle for me to leave the house, and I really don't think they appreciate that and they think I should just ignore it but It's not that simple. As prviosly mentioned, my dad thinks I have a "loser mentality", and a minute ago my mother said she was disgusted with me. I feel so ugly; it never stops and it feels like I'm being punished. It would help if they understood, but they're so mean about it. I just want to feel okay about myself.

MemberMember
(@fare-thee-well)

Posted : 01/08/2014 10:34 pm

Sometimes they will never understand, i have acne which makes me fall into depression and it sucks really bad at times but i dont let it get the best of me. And not alot of people in my house or job know what i go thru and think throughout the day but you gonna think positive. I know somewhere in the world someone is suffering with something more worst than acne. So i try not to stress out about my acne. I knew this girl personally with a disease called Lupus (Lupus is an autoimmune disease where the body's immune system becomes hyperactive and attacks normal, healthy tissue. This results in symptoms such as inflammation, swelling, and damage to joints, skin, kidneys, blood, the heart, and lungs). She has it really bad i mean REALLY BAD and she has to live with that disease in her for the rest of her life and has to be homeschooled because of her condition. She also has two different types of diseases besides lupus called Rheumation Arthritis (RA) & Angioedema. So take it one day at a time. Try to get yourself esteem up by eating healthy, drink plenty of water and try jogging, thats what i'm trying to do but i love junk food lol especially mcds, taco bell and wawa's cheesesteaks.

I just order the regiment in high hopes that it will work. Hopefully it does lol. So have faith yourself, you can overcome anything in life with your mind and body. =D

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:02 pm

well that stinks, no doubt about it...but if you really want some honest input, send us a picture of your skin....the very worst part, no make up....

we will honestly tell you if you are over reacting about mild acne or if you have a serious problem and perhaps should find a different way to communicate with your parents about options

MemberMember
(@nicolacat)

Posted : 01/13/2014 3:32 pm

Twenty five years ago when I first started getting acne my mum used to tell me to wash my face properly! She didn't mean to be cruel it was just that she didn't understand because she has never suffered from it.Also for most people it isn't an issue. When my face cleared up in my late teens I stopped noticing acne on others. I can honestly say I never ever noticed spots on anyone because I was too busy thinking about other things.When you are acne ridden you are tuned in to do with anything to do with skin so you are hyper aware..I have started to get some acne again at the grand old age of 40 so I have come on here to really to talk to other oldies with spots! But when I see someone young and hurting like you it makes my heart break because I truly do understand how it feels. It will get better, if the medication you are taking is not working in about 3 months then play holy hell and get back to the docs. You absolutely do not have to put up with it. You are a beautiful girl and you should not be hiding away. Get out there and stick your chin the air and live. Don't teach yourself that you are 'ugly' and start getting anxiety issues. Trust me nobody cares about your acne but you. Please try. Remember all the celebrities and models and if you are honest pretty girls you see around you with spots that have acne.. are they all ugly?? Of course not! Take care sweetie xx

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 01/15/2014 6:22 pm

I'm sorry that ur parents don't understand . We all have people around us that just don't get it.

But if u see that they don't want to hear any more about ur skin issue than is best to just try not to talk too much with them about it unless u have to. And try to stay positive . I understand ur pain it hurts when u try to open up to people and they just don't get it ..

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 01/16/2014 8:47 am

My parents refuse to understand how much acne effects me. When I tell my mom I don't think my medicince is working she threatens to stop buying it, and she threatens to ground me for getting upset over how I look and crying.Most days it's a struggle for me to leave the house, and I really don't think they appreciate that and they think I should just ignore it but It's not that simple. As prviosly mentioned, my dad thinks I have a "loser mentality", and a minute ago my mother said she was disgusted with me. I feel so ugly; it never stops and it feels like I'm being punished. It would help if they understood, but they're so mean about it. I just want to feel okay about myself.

Your words here are almost mortifying, that parents speak/threaten their children the way they do. Teens, despite their age, have feelings too. Im sure Im old enough to be your dad.

Is there anyone at your school you could talk to (a nurse or counselor or a teacher)? They may be able to direct you to some other avenues that can help you.

I dont mean to be blunt, but you seem very distressed in this post, and it may only get worse if you are unable to get some relief from the feelings you are getting from your parents, on top of what appears to be depression re: your acne. Im no pyschiatrist but please try to reach out to someone that is able to offer support, lend an ear, etc. And you can always come here to vent to, but there's no comparison when you are talking to a real live person rather than a computer screen. Do you have best friend to confide in? Sometimes it helps to just let it all out. Depression, at this age, or any age, shouldnt be taken lightly, which seems to be what your parents are doing.

Best wishes.

And re: the request above to post pics, what would that do? She is obviously feeling the way she feels for a reason. Whether it looks mild or moderate or severe to us is not the issue.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/16/2014 3:25 pm

you need to talk to them on a serious note and tell them its affecting you emotionally on how it makes you feel when you people at look and in the inside

MemberMember
(@monicalovesben)

Posted : 02/16/2014 9:07 am

Hey girl, I know how you feel. Just stay strong. I'm 18 as well, my acne just started clearing out of no where. I'm not using anything. Maybe you'll be like me.. Give it a few months and stay strong. I know how hard it is, but there's hope. I still get a couple zits here and there but nothing like before.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/16/2014 10:04 am

I'm sorry your family is not being supportive of you. Feeling stressed, depressed, and unloved by those around us certainly affects our health. Daily, you should affirm yourself in the mirror: "I am a beautiful person, inside and out. I love and I deserve love. I am caring, kind, and I love myself. I have value and worth. I am important" Do this whether you feel like it or not. You do not have to do this exact affirmation. My mother wrote it for me when I was at the height of my acne depression at age 17 and pasted it to my bathroom mirror. I do think it's a good one, though. Anything you can say to yourself to remind yourself that you are beautiful, good, and have value is a good thing. Often we get caught up in what others think of us and we forget to value ourselves. Loving yourself is not vain. It is necessary to be a whole person with a bubble of self-esteem protection. Those who aim to tear us down sense when we are weak. Some people hurt us unintentionally, like your parents might (though I am sure they love you). If you surround yourself with love, you will be protected from the negative energy of others.

My dad was relatively insensitive about acne, thinking incorrectly that mine was caused from not washing my face properly, when in fact, my acne is personally caused by dairy, sugars, and too much carbohydrate. If only I had known then what I know now. How much suffering I could have saved myself! I only can look back at the whole experience as an experiment in self-growth and self-reflection.