Notifications
Clear all

Adventures In Skin Picking

MemberMember
(@rasine)

Posted : 12/20/2013 12:39 am

Hi everyone,

Even though I know no one will judge me, I'm kind of embarrassed to be back here again. I've been struggling with skin picking since I was 16 and for a while there I thought it was gone for good. Silly me!

I struggle with depression and anxiety, like a lot of people with CSPD. I was on Lexapro for a good 3 years and it did a fine and dandy job until one day it just... stopped. I was six hours away from home at school, no psychiatrist had an appointment for weeks, and I was in a really bad place. Long story short, I attempted suicide, it didn't work, I was in a psychiatric hospital for a week, and then I decided to come back home and take a semester off from school to get better. Luckily, I'm a year ahead.

I started a new medication, Zoloft, in October. It does a pretty good job with my depression, but not so much with my anxiety. And my anxiety leads to picking. I sit in front of the mirror for hours "getting out the bad stuff" and making a horrible mess of my face. It soothes me in the moment, even though after I hate myself and destroy my appearance.

I've broadened my horizons to pick at my chest too, which had previously been clear. Now it breaks out from me messing with it.

I'm so, so tired of struggling with this. I really want to stop picking. I'm going to chronicle my "adventures" here. I'm going to post a picture of my face every day and try to stop picking.

I could really use some support... or if you just want to tell me about your experiences, tips, tricks, etc... that would be greatly welcomed. smile.png

Let's begin.

post-118640-0-82343400-1387518672.jpg

post-118640-0-82343400-1387518672.jpg

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 12/20/2013 5:16 am

Well, I could help you by not getting acne any more. When you find the cause of your acne and eliminate it, it just help you with that other stuff you got going on.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 12/20/2013 8:03 am

Hello! I also have anxiety-induced compulsive picking! It's honestly one of the largest contributors to my bad (but getting better!) skin.

The first thing that made me realize something had to change was realizing that sitting on the bathroom sink for hours picking out all the "stuff" from every pore was not normal. I honestly had never talked to anyone about it before, so I figured it was just something I did that wouldn't ever stop. However, I came across the word "dermatillomania," searched it on tumblr, found a TON of people describing experiences just like mine-- not being able to stop, leaving wounds, feeling painfully guilty after a "picking binge"(that's what I call it when I over pick and go into a trance-like state).

Anyway, I prefer the phrase "compulsive skin picking" over "dermatillomania," but it's just a matter of preference. So! I've stopped picking before (about 2-3 years ago) and my skin cleared up nicely. But, of course, I relapsed-- but I'm on my way to being a non-picker again!

The best advice I can give you is to eliminate the environment in which you pick. You can't just delete anxiety from your life, so just saying "well! don't be anxious!" won't work. I know that I pick in my bathroom when the light is bright and I can see my pores. So, I taped over the bright light in the bathroom and just use the dimmer one that's over the shower. Sometimes, I just light a candle. It has helped me tremendously-- and my self-esteem is improving as well!

Anyway, good luck! I started a thread of my own a while back and it has really helped, so good for you for documenting your progress! Rooting for you!

Here's my thread which I am still active in because it's really an ongoing fight for me to stop picking!

MemberMember
(@rasine)

Posted : 12/20/2013 4:30 pm

Hello! I also have anxiety-induced compulsive picking! It's honestly one of the largest contributors to my bad (but getting better!) skin.

The first thing that made me realize something had to change was realizing that sitting on the bathroom sink for hours picking out all the "stuff" from every pore was not normal. I honestly had never talked to anyone about it before, so I figured it was just something I did that wouldn't ever stop. However, I came across the word "dermatillomania," searched it on tumblr, found a TON of people describing experiences just like mine-- not being able to stop, leaving wounds, feeling painfully guilty after a "picking binge"(that's what I call it when I over pick and go into a trance-like state).

Anyway, I prefer the phrase "compulsive skin picking" over "dermatillomania," but it's just a matter of preference. So! I've stopped picking before (about 2-3 years ago) and my skin cleared up nicely. But, of course, I relapsed-- but I'm on my way to being a non-picker again!

The best advice I can give you is to eliminate the environment in which you pick. You can't just delete anxiety from your life, so just saying "well! don't be anxious!" won't work. I know that I pick in my bathroom when the light is bright and I can see my pores. So, I taped over the bright light in the bathroom and just use the dimmer one that's over the shower. Sometimes, I just light a candle. It has helped me tremendously-- and my self-esteem is improving as well!

Anyway, good luck! I started a thread of my own a while back and it has really helped, so good for you for documenting your progress! Rooting for you!

Here's my thread which I am still active in because it's really an ongoing fight for me to stop picking!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/332912-i-need-no-picking-buddies/

Hi Heitea!

I prefer the term compulsive skin picking too, dermatillomania just sounds unsavory.

The candle idea is a fabulous suggestion, I just got some big candles from Costco so I'll put one to use in the bathroom.

Thank you so much for your reply... it's so nice to know that there are people out there like me! I'll definitely check into your thread, I'm rooting for you too!

MemberMember
(@rasine)

Posted : 12/20/2013 11:46 pm

Well, I'm sitting right now with an ice pack on my face because I picked the crap out of it. I'm so horribly ashamed with myself, I'm not going to post a picture until it has calmed down a bit.

I'm starting to think that my antidepressant dose is too low... when Lexapro was working for me I barely felt the urge to pick, and I wasn't depressed or anxious like I am now.

I'm due for an appointment with the psychiatrist. Maybe an increase in dosage will help. It certainly did last time!

I feel as though I don't have control over myself... my acne is so light and I make it a million times worse. And yet I will sit for 30 mins and pick, pick away.

Face as of today is posted below. Support is welcome!

post-118640-0-10368400-1387603878.jpg

Worst areas are my forehead and chin. Sorry for the grossness, everyone. blush.png

post-118640-0-10368400-1387603878.jpg

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 12/22/2013 6:54 pm

Hey you!

I was reading your first post and thinking you simply must join us on Heitea's 'no picking buddies' thread, but I see she already found you! I am a compulsive picker too. Right now I have it under control quite a bit, but I have had my moments, believe me! I had a recent return of acne that had been gone for years, and it REALLY has been testing my no-pick strength. I opted for Accutane (really helped before), but have been getting such weird outbreaks in this first month of the drugs, it takes all my power not to mess with them. A few times I have, and the feeling afterward has been worse than everything else to do with this damn acne.

Reading the experiences of others and sharing my own, I think, is a piece of how I have been able to hold it together a bit better this time. You should totally come on down to the no-picking buddies thread. The picking WANTS you to be lonely in it - that's how it thrives. Talking about it with other people exposes it and makes it cower in fear.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@rasine)

Posted : 12/24/2013 4:29 pm

I checked it out and posted, thank you so much for reminding me. It is so, so hard not to pick and most people don't understand that. Thank you for the support, I'm so happy for you that you have it under control right now! That's awesome, I hope to get to that point!

MemberMember
(@rasine)

Posted : 12/24/2013 5:55 pm

I've been really good about not picking the past few days. I'm quite proud of myself. cheer.gif

post-118640-0-23072200-1387925685.jpg

post-118640-0-23072200-1387925685.jpg

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 12/26/2013 10:01 pm

Yay! Good for you! It's so nice to feel proud of yourself :D It's the best motivator. Keep at it and remember this feeling!