Notifications
Clear all

Has Acne Made You Feel Worse About Yourself?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 08/08/2013 8:47 pm

Obviously it has, but what I mean by that is has it made you feel not so good about other parts of you? Let me explain. Because I am feeling extremely low about my face full of acne, I start not really feeling good about other parts of me. My self confidence is just not existant it seems.

What I'm asking is can acne make you feel worse about other parts of your body because the acne itself is already making you feel worse?

I have image issues before acne that is, but it's only now that I'm getting really fed up and down with my acne am I worrying again. I have no idea what's brought it on.

Is anyone else the same?

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 08/08/2013 8:49 pm

I don't think my acne has made me feel worse about any other particular things, just the usual making me feel like crap overall.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/08/2013 9:05 pm

I completely understand how you feel. Because I'm feeling so insecure about my face, I am over examining other parts of my body, which is never a good idea. Whenever you look to closely at something, you will ALWAYS find something to dislike. It's so hard and painful dealing with acne and troubles with appearance in general, but no matter what you can always prevail over these difficulties.

I struggled with Anorexia for 6 years and now that I'm doing slightly better, the perception of my face has gotten soooo much worse. I also find that I'm judging my body more since I started obsessing about my face. I honestly don't think there's anything you can pinpoint this lapse in worrying to, but are there any new stressors in your life? I know my relapse is pertaining to some difficult changes in my life that I'm trying to cope with. I know it seems like your acne is the worst thing in the world, but I guarantee that you're the only one who thinks it's as bad as you're perceiving. The road to finding self acceptance is always bumpy, difficult, and easy to get lost on...but it always ends if you work hard enough!

I hope you feel better soon! Xo

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 08/08/2013 9:18 pm

I completely understand how you feel. Because I'm feeling so insecure about my face, I am over examining other parts of my body, which is never a good idea. Whenever you look to closely at something, you will ALWAYS find something to dislike. It's so hard and painful dealing with acne and troubles with appearance in general, but no matter what you can always prevail over these difficulties.

I struggled with Anorexia for 6 years and now that I'm doing slightly better, the perception of my face has gotten soooo much worse. I also find that I'm judging my body more since I started obsessing about my face. I honestly don't think there's anything you can pinpoint this lapse in worrying to, but are there any new stressors in your life? I know my relapse is pertaining to some difficult changes in my life that I'm trying to cope with. I know it seems like your acne is the worst thing in the world, but I guarantee that you're the only one who thinks it's as bad as you're perceiving. The road to finding self acceptance is always bumpy, difficult, and easy to get lost on...but it always ends if you work hard enough!

Not really any new stressors except from worrying to much. I've only ever started to worry about so many things because of my acne. It's made me super cautious about what I eat, touch or do every day. And I'm just worrying about my jaw line and how defined it is. It's probably hard to tell with acne covering it, though.

I'm just in a position where I am worrying about my acne AND my jawline now and well, it's to much. I'm trying a cream which has helped get rid of a lot of active acne, but the redness is incredibly noticable and I feel like I need something strong like accutane, but that is a few months away.

So do you think I'm really only worrying about something like that because I already feel bad about my face 'cause of the acne? :( I don't want another mental relapse.

Thanks for the reply x

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/08/2013 9:38 pm

Not really any new stressors except from worrying to much. I've only ever started to worry about so many things because of my acne. It's made me super cautious about what I eat, touch or do every day. And I'm just worrying about my jaw line and how defined it is. It's probably hard to tell with acne covering it, though.

I'm just in a position where I am worrying about my acne AND my jawline now and well, it's to much. I'm trying a cream which has helped get rid of a lot of active acne, but the redness is incredibly noticable and I feel like I need something strong like accutane, but that is a few months away.

So do you think I'm really only worrying about something like that because I already feel bad about my face 'cause of the acne? sad.png I don't want another mental relapse.

Thanks for the reply x

Obviously I'm not a professional, I'm just someone with major experience, but I think your mind is playing tricks on you. You definitely are having difficulties with you jaw line because you're already obsessing about the acne on your face. Unless you deal with the underlying problems, there will always be something new to worry about pertaining to your appearance. When it comes to extremes (like obsessive worrying and insecurity) the problem is never really what's on the surface. Meaning that you may be focusing on your face, but there's something inside that's causing this emotional turmoil for you.

I completely know how you feel wanting to go on accutane... If my dermatologist would ever even mention the name to me, I would go on it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I seem to be the only one that thinks my face is bad. But i really hope you can find alternative ways to correct the underlying problems of your acne AND your insecurity/obsessing.

You can always message me if you want to talk :)

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/08/2013 9:54 pm

Yes definitely.

Although I've had acne for 8 years, it's really only been in the last 3 or 4 years that it's really impacted me (as far as I can remember anyway). I've always been conscious of my skin because of acne but in these recent years, it's made me more self-conscious of how I look - it's moved from just looking at how bad my skin might be to how 'ugly' I think other parts of my face are or how I would change things about how I look if I could. My 'concerns' or anxiety I guess, is mostly focused on my face but if I start to think about my appearance a lot, then I could easily think of things that I'd change about my body too... which is sad. I wish I didn't worry so much about this stuff and could be happy with how I am. I used to be. And I need to get back to that point because there's nothing I can really do to change it anyway... no use moping around right? That's just going to make me feel worse

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/08/2013 11:24 pm

Yes, I'm a fairly short girl, only 4'11" and people like to tease me (not to be mean, but funny) about how I'm a midget and all. I've grown to like my height, but sometimes I think man, not only am I short, but I'm ugly! It's a bad feeling to have acne, since it seems to amplify other insecurities. I've cleared my skin up now, so I don't think about it much. From my experience, I think because you look at your face everyday, acne is something you notice right away. I see a lot of people that try to make their bodies look great, dress sharply and try and ramp up other areas of themselves, simply to overcompensate for the acne.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:45 am

So the acne you had made you feel insecure about other parts as well? Now that you're clear, are you feeling ok now?

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/09/2013 7:24 am

So the acne you had made you feel insecure about other parts as well? Now that you're clear, are you feeling ok now?

For me, acne made other "flaws" worse. I felt that instead of people looking at me and thinking I'm short, they would also think I have bad skin. It seemed like I had two bad things going for me at the same time. And yes, now that I'm clear I don't think of anything different about me as being a flaw. 2 Years ago when my skin broke-out, I had totally taken my good skin for granted. Now, I don't take anything on my body for granted, even my height.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/09/2013 8:49 pm

For me, acne made other "flaws" worse. I felt that instead of people looking at me and thinking I'm short, they would also think I have bad skin. It seemed like I had two bad things going for me at the same time. And yes, now that I'm clear I don't think of anything different about me as being a flaw. 2 Years ago when my skin broke-out, I had totally taken my good skin for granted. Now, I don't take anything on my body for granted, even my height.

^^ Definitely a good mindset to be in! To accept yourself the way you are, but to make sure you take good care of what you have.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 08/10/2013 12:51 am

I think acne has for sure made me a more insecure person about other parts of my body. Since I'm so OCD about my skin, it translates to other physical attributes; I feel insecure about my freckles, the scar on my shoulder, cellulite, the several grey hairs I get per month on my head...I feel like they're all so noticeable and all add up to make me a generally ugly, or weird, person.

In reality, nearly everyone has their own imperfections; no one is flawless. But when you're criticizing yourself, you're always the harshest critic.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 1:02 pm

^^ Definitely a good mindset to be in! To accept yourself the way you are, but to make sure you take good care of what you have.

Yes, I agree Rosalie324! If I let everything different about me make me depressed, then that would be an awful world to live in.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/11/2013 6:11 pm

Yes, I agree Rosalie324! If I let everything different about me make me depressed, then that would be an awful world to live in.

Hopefully I'll actually take my own advice one of these days haha

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 6:37 pm

You look so beautiful in your profile picture, acne can't ruin such a pretty face as yours. If everyone lets acne tear them apart, then who are they really? Are we all just people who are meaningless unless we have flawless skin?

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/11/2013 9:24 pm

You look so beautiful in your profile picture, acne can't ruin such a pretty face as yours. If everyone lets acne tear them apart, then who are they really? Are we all just people who are meaningless unless we have flawless skin?

Thank you. I seriously wish with all my might that I could perceive myself the way others do. It's like looking in a funhouse mirror 24/7... I definitely do not think that acne defines anyone else's self worth besides my own. I would never judge someone or think differently of someone with acne, but for some reason those rules don't apply to me...

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 10:50 pm

Thank you. I seriously wish with all my might that I could perceive myself the way others do. It's like looking in a funhouse mirror 24/7... I definitely do not think that acne defines anyone else's self worth besides my own. I would never judge someone or think differently of someone with acne, but for some reason those rules don't apply to me...

It's interesting isn't it, that we all judge ourselves the hardest? If it makes you feel any better, I know that when people see you, they don't see the acne. And try and let those rules apply to you, you may find that the advice you give is really the advice you need.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:02 am

its made me want to end my life, the thought crosses my mind daily its hard to ignore it. it really does fuck you up inside, the person i was 9 years ago no longer exsist.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/12/2013 10:17 am

It's interesting isn't it, that we all judge ourselves the hardest? If it makes you feel any better, I know that when people see you, they don't see the acne. And try and let those rules apply to you, you may find that the advice you give is really the advice you need.

I'm sure it it is. Hopefully with time I can come to believe that I am worth it.

its made me want to end my life, the thought crosses my mind daily its hard to ignore it. it really does fuck you up inside, the person i was 9 years ago no longer exsist.

Are you in any sort of treatment for these horrible thoughts?

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 08/12/2013 10:29 am

the question isn't if it's made you feel bad about yourself, imo that's a given. the real question is if it's ever made you feel good about yourself & i'm willing to bet bet the answer will always be no.... for everyone.