Notifications
Clear all

Does Anyone Here Notice Ppl With Acne Seem To Type The Same?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/02/2013 5:11 pm

When i look at this forum especially the emotional and psychological effects on acne, it seems like everyone seems to write the same thing. And by that im not talking about how old they are and how long they had acne for, but its like the way its written. For example, if someone who doesn't have acne or problems read stuff like this, they would probably go wow almost everyone seems to be obsessed about it and how everyones story seems to be the same thing.

Like when im reading this forum, it sounds so similar to other forums like socialanxiety.org and depression.org. And the thing is many of those ppl in those forums, many of them don't have acne but just very few.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/02/2013 5:20 pm

yea I guess because acne makes us depressed and feeling down. kinda like a gateway type thing it leads to mental issures. I've been to socialanxietysupport.com and it pisses me off because there are a bunch of regular acne free good looking people there who just merely have mental problems and are beating themselves up. this site kind of gets me mad too because I see a bunch of beautiful people whose lives are being ruined by acne.

like I see the dudes who post here who have pics up and they are all good looking despite the acne but they claim their lives are ruined and they cant get a date/girls or have a social life. i feel like shaking them and telling them wake up man! get a hold of yourself its not that bad!

and ofcourse all the beautiful girls on here. same story there are a lot of beautiful people on here but this freakin disease causes us to have mental problems. its a mess. I hate it.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 06/02/2013 11:02 pm

i'v read a few post's on social anxiety, but acne.org much better fits my situation. i don't know about anyone else here, but i can tell you i went through and in fact am still going through some messed up s**t. All because of my acne & unfortunately i know for a fact that im not the problem, you see i know acne is relatively normal. it's the people around me they either don't understand or just don't care to, as a result im left feeling bad about myself because of what other people say. can you blame me? who wouldn't be obsessed after hearing nothing but horrible comments from shallow & just plain mean people for years.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 06/03/2013 2:54 am

yea I guess because acne makes us depressed and feeling down. kinda like a gateway type thing it leads to mental issures. I've been to socialanxietysupport.com and it pisses me off because there are a bunch of regular acne free good looking people there who just merely have mental problems and are beating themselves up. this site kind of gets me mad too because I see a bunch of beautiful people whose lives are being ruined by acne.

like I see the dudes who post here who have pics up and they are all good looking despite the acne but they claim their lives are ruined and they cant get a date/girls or have a social life. i feel like shaking them and telling them wake up man! get a hold of yourself its not that bad!

and ofcourse all the beautiful girls on here. same story there are a lot of beautiful people on here but this freakin disease causes us to have mental problems. its a mess. I hate it.

Acne is very normal - it's definitely not the worst skin condition a person can have and it's very common. It is not really a "disease" either more than it is a temporary condition of the pore. What we see as "Acne" is the infection under the skin from an extremely blocked pore more than likely from a massive amount of sebum. This can easily be remedied by taking Accutane (if you were up for it) which would shut off and shrink the oil glands so the pore could no longer be blocked and exfoliate normally so there would be no infection.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/03/2013 4:40 pm

Acne is very normal - it's definitely not the worst skin condition a person can have and it's very common. It is not really a "disease" either more than it is a temporary condition of the pore. What we see as "Acne" is the infection under the skin from an extremely blocked pore more than likely from a massive amount of sebum. This can easily be remedied by taking Accutane (if you were up for it) which would shut off and shrink the oil glands so the pore could no longer be blocked and exfoliate normally so there would be no infection.

I thought technically acne is a disease? well anyway people have treated me like a leper because of it.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 06/03/2013 5:48 pm

I thought technically acne is a disease? well anyway people have treated me like a leper because of it.

It is actually seen as a very contagious form of deadly cancer. People think they get it when they see you.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/03/2013 10:36 pm

wow, I can't help but notice that you've been around some pretty bad people in your life :(

but to treat you like a leper?! That's too whack, man...

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 06/03/2013 11:10 pm

I've often thought that perhaps acne is caused by self-consciousness.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:24 pm

wow, I can't help but notice that you've been around some pretty bad people in your life sad.png

but to treat you like a leper?! That's too whack, man...

yea I'm sure we have all been through a lot thats why we post on the emo section. being treated like a leper is probably being over dramatic but I've been shunned by people and talked sh*t to in my face about my acne in the past. theres been cool people in my life but all the negative stuff is what sticks with me. and yea its whack!

dude explain because I kind of think I know what you are saying but I'm still not sure.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:33 pm

I guess you get so self-conscious and you stress about it so much and the stress is causing the acne?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:11 am

Yeah, maybe stress, but maybe more of a direct mind-body connection.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/13/2013 1:40 am

When i look at this forum especially the emotional and psychological effects on acne, it seems like everyone seems to write the same thing. And by that im not talking about how old they are and how long they had acne for, but its like the way its written. For example, if someone who doesn't have acne or problems read stuff like this, they would probably go wow almost everyone seems to be obsessed about it and how everyones story seems to be the same thing.

Like when im reading this forum, it sounds so similar to other forums like socialanxiety.org and depression.org. And the thing is many of those ppl in those forums, many of them don't have acne but just very few.

Well, I kinda feel like the "outsider" you described when I read this emotional/psych forum (which isn't very often). I have had more severe acne than most of these people, but I never got as depressed and OCD about it as many do...so I really think it comes down to a link between depression and health problems. I don't believe that acne alone, even severe cystic pizza face acne like mine, causes the debilitating anxiety that people describe. Acne is just another symptom of an underlying problem. And sometimes it's the scapegoat for the anxiety someone feels.

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:12 am

Well, I kinda feel like the "outsider" you described when I read this emotional/psych forum (which isn't very often). I have had more severe acne than most of these people, but I never got as depressed and OCD about it as many do...so I really think it comes down to a link between depression and health problems. I don't believe that acne alone, even severe cystic pizza face acne like mine, causes the debilitating anxiety that people describe. Acne is just another symptom of an underlying problem. And sometimes it's the scapegoat for the anxiety someone feels.

I completely agree with this...some people are just better at coping with acne than others regardless of the severity of their acne. I seriously admire people with severe acne who don't let it affect their lives so much. There's also been times my skin was totally clear but I still got moody/ depressed/ unsociable/ demotivated. For me acne was the trigger or 'scapegoat' but I quickly realised I'm just not as comfortable as the average person when it comes to social situations. The only thing that helps me is the fact I'm a bit of a control freak, so even though acne makes me feel like not leaving the house, I've realised that I have limited control over my skin but I can take back some of that control by not letting it hold me back.

On the other hand, I am definitely one of the people writing in a very similar way, and I guess outsiders would be a bit concerned by the type of things we write. I guess that's the good thing about this site, most people say things we wouldn't feel comfortable telling our friends/ families so we have an outlet to express it - for me it's quite therapeutic and knowing other people are going through the same thing makes me feel stronger.