Notifications
Clear all

Moving City, Lonely And Depressed

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 05/31/2013 9:20 am

hi everyone

i have recently moved to Bath, Somerset from London ( im originally from yorkshire). Its been a few months now and the novelty of moving city has worn off and ive started to feel so isolated as i have no friends in the area and i work with people who are 10 + years older than me and i find it hard to relate to them plus the fact im shy due to my acne anyway.

I've suffered from depression for several years in my mid teens and im starting to slip back into that cycle once again.

Im terrible when it comes to meeting new people and whenever i do my skin is always on my mind and it becomes a big distraction. i was almost clear a year ago but my acne has worsened ever since.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it.

thanks

oli

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 05/31/2013 9:36 am

Hi there, I totally know where you're coming from with this. I have moved around quite a bit in my life, most recently from UK - USA which of course has been the biggest transition.

Not sure I can offer any helpful advice on how to get through it as I am currently going through a similar thing - afraid to meet new people due to feeling so uncomfortable in my own skin and paranoia that I'm being judged on my bad skin behind my back, not only that but the culture is different to ours out here in ways I never imagined - for example, the people find different things funny and don't actually get the Brit humour at all! Also etiquette over here is all different which makes me feel self conscious also.

Maybe look into getting your own hobbies/interests such as joining the gym? Get a dog? Just bear in mind that forming new friendships does take time so please try not to worry.

MemberMember
(@ruweyda)

Posted : 05/31/2013 2:44 pm

I still live with my family so I don't kno how it feels like to live alone, but I feel your paincomfort.gif just go out and try not to think about yur skin that much coz yu no one was born with acne it will clear up sooner or later, and don't give a toss about wat people might say. live your life and be happy some people don't even have the basic health God blessed yu with :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/02/2013 7:53 am

I am moving once again in less than a month and i have acne so i can somehwat relate to that feeling of isolation. I would second the idea of getting a pet and getting out and doing things that keep you active (gym, hiking). Also, try like a meet up group for things that you like (hobbies and such) or for social anxiety. Lastly, why not see who else on this website is in your neck of the woods. It would be a great idea to connect with other acne.org users.

Good Luck and keep us posted

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 06/02/2013 10:01 am

thanks for the reply's guys. i guess im just going to have to push myself to be more proactive ( no reference to the product i've tried it and its shit lol) when it comes to talking to people.

i checked and im not allowed pets in my building which is pretty annoying ive always wanted a dog :(. I am a member of a gym its just so hard to chat to people because they all have headphones on but I'll keep trying.

overall i still feel lonely and time seems to drag when im at home. im looking forward to going back up north in two weeks to visit my parents and also to meet up with old friends so im hoping that that will build up my confidence and mood again.

Sasch83 thats a great idea about trying to connect with other acne.org users, i'll look into it. they should definitely put a feature on the site to set up meetings/ days out in your area

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 06/02/2013 5:08 pm

hey, I'm sure moving like you did would be hard on anyone not just because you have acne. the whole unfamiliarity of it all could be nerve racking I imagine. seems like you have stuff going for you tho, hitting the gym is def a good thing and you said you have old friends back home so apparently having acne hasn't stopped you from having a social life or wanting to take care of yourself. give it time im sure you'll meet cool people and make new friends in your new surroundings. like I said it would be hard for anyone. dont slip back into that depression man!

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 06/03/2013 2:56 am

Hi there, I totally know where you're coming from with this. I have moved around quite a bit in my life, most recently from UK - USA which of course has been the biggest transition.

Not sure I can offer any helpful advice on how to get through it as I am currently going through a similar thing - afraid to meet new people due to feeling so uncomfortable in my own skin and paranoia that I'm being judged on my bad skin behind my back, not only that but the culture is different to ours out here in ways I never imagined - for example, the people find different things funny and don't actually get the Brit humour at all! Also etiquette over here is all different which makes me feel self conscious also.

Maybe look into getting your own hobbies/interests such as joining the gym? Get a dog? Just bear in mind that forming new friendships does take time so please try not to worry.

Go on Accutane.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 06/03/2013 6:44 am

Go on Accutane.

Huh? Where the hell did THAT come from on a thread that was about moving towns?

Anyway, been there done that and it didn't work for me, I relapsed. Going on a second course is not an option for me, at least not for a while as I want to try for a family in the next year or two - the drug causes severe birth defects.