Notifications
Clear all

Man... Had My Worst Acne Moment Today

MemberMember
(@megelizab)

Posted : 05/25/2013 2:21 pm

Man, I can't even describe how I'm feeling right now. For the past month or so my acne has gotten to a point which I never thought it would. It's always been bad, but right now it's nearly unbearable. I have painful cysts and scabs all over my face and looking in the mirror every morning makes me want to cry. However, the bright spot in my life has always been my boyfriend. We've been together for over five years, and he always tells me a look beautiful no matter what. He's the only person besides my family I've ever felt comfortable not slathering my face with make-up around. Today I realized that even he can't look past my acne, though. I was dropping him off at work and he said "make sure you don't drink any soda or anything today". It was a random comment for him to make. I asked why, and he said "because it's really bad for your skin". I didn't even know what to say. I mean, I'm not surprised he's getting tired of seeing my face like this but dang, to just put it out there like that. I have noticed lately he doesn't mind waiting when I don't wanna leave the house without make-up whereas he used to say "don't worry about it. You look fine". He knows what a sensitive issue my skin is for me and that I'm trying to get back of accutane. Ugh! I just thought he was the one person I could count on to see me for me. I don't know where to go from here. I guess I'll start caking on the make-up again.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 05/25/2013 2:54 pm

Keep your head up. Im sure he didnt mean to hurt you. One thing people with clear skin dont understand is how hard it is for us to treat this shit.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 05/25/2013 2:57 pm

It's not your skin, this is just what happens in relationships after a while. If it wasn't your skin it'd be something else. You might even do similar things to him without realizing it. I know that's not exactly good news, but at least it's not your skin's fault!

MemberMember
(@megelizab)

Posted : 05/25/2013 3:24 pm

Thanks guys, that actually does make me feel better. I mean, I do feel bad cause I know I didn't always look like this. I think he just doesn't realize how bad my skin is bothering me lately so him saying that was like the icing on the cake.

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 05/25/2013 5:05 pm

I understand what your feeling. my skin has been getting worst lately also. and my boy friend has also made comments lately about my skin. you should drink more water or one day he told me I should try proactive . I was so embarrassed angry and hurt all at the same time. He knows im seeing a dermatologist . why would he say something like that . im used to getting comments about my skin from people im a waitress I get it all the time. but to get comments like that from people you love and already know your trying to fix your skin it just makes it harder .. so here I am avoiding my bf my skin is worst than the last time I saw him and to be honest I cant handle any more comments about my skin today..

MemberMember
(@megelizab)

Posted : 05/25/2013 7:07 pm

Hey hope, that's exactly how I was feeling about this situation. I've always been the one making negative comments about my skin, and he's always the one to tell me not to worry about it. He ended up texting me later telling me how much he loved me because I think he could tell I was feeling bad. I think they really just don't understand the emotional toll acne takes on you.

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 05/27/2013 7:24 pm

I know they don't get how hard it is. my bf also texted me saying why I didn't want to see him the past few days . I told him I was sick and didn't feel well . he asked me If I was mad at him for something . I said no . I don't think my bf realized how his comments hurt me . he told me he loved me and that he missed me that he hopes I get better soon. at least your man realized he hurt you. mine just didn't I guess.. I guess when he told me I just try to ignore it and didn't make a big deal of it , until I got home and cryed . maybe I just took it 2 personal and was just trying to help I am really emotional lately .

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 05/28/2013 4:03 am

Hey, I know how you feel...in fairness my boyfriend is the same and it's ridiculously hard for someone without acne to understand what we are going through. He probably didn't think about how the comment would affect you - he has probably been researching acne, found somewhere about fizzy drinks causing it and was just trying to be helpful...give him the benefit of the doubt this time around.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 05/28/2013 9:56 pm

Man, I can't even describe how I'm feeling right now. For the past month or so my acne has gotten to a point which I never thought it would. It's always been bad, but right now it's nearly unbearable. I have painful cysts and scabs all over my face and looking in the mirror every morning makes me want to cry. However, the bright spot in my life has always been my boyfriend. We've been together for over five years, and he always tells me a look beautiful no matter what. He's the only person besides my family I've ever felt comfortable not slathering my face with make-up around. Today I realized that even he can't look past my acne, though. I was dropping him off at work and he said "make sure you don't drink any soda or anything today". It was a random comment for him to make. I asked why, and he said "because it's really bad for your skin". I didn't even know what to say. I mean, I'm not surprised he's getting tired of seeing my face like this but dang, to just put it out there like that. I have noticed lately he doesn't mind waiting when I don't wanna leave the house without make-up whereas he used to say "don't worry about it. You look fine". He knows what a sensitive issue my skin is for me and that I'm trying to get back of accutane. Ugh! I just thought he was the one person I could count on to see me for me. I don't know where to go from here. I guess I'll start caking on the make-up again.

Girl, I have come to the conclusion that people with crystal clear skin do not understand what we are going through. Do not let his comment get to you dear. He sounds like a caring guy! Do not let this incident affect your beautiful relationship with him!

XOXO

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/29/2013 12:42 am

I'm so sorry for your hurt!!! I'm afraid I will end up alone largely in part because my bad skin makes me feel so vulnerable and unloveable. Ugh... I'm so over it

MemberMember
(@lewi)

Posted : 05/29/2013 1:46 am

Reading posts like this kinda make me want to date a girl with acne/scarring, people with clear skin can be so insensitive.

But your partner is genuinely trying to help, they just don't understand how difficult to treat it can be.

MemberMember
(@megelizab)

Posted : 05/30/2013 8:28 pm

Yeah, I know you guys are all right. Thanks everyone for the kind words! He actually ended up making ANOTHER comment about my skin yesterday. I totally broke down again and told him everything I was feeling/wept uncontrollably. It was embarrassing, but I'm glad it happened. I think he finally gets it now haha. He was super supportive and said some really nice stuff. I'm definitely lucky to have him. I still feel bad that he puts up with my skin looking this way. It's all the more motivation for me to get clear though.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 05/30/2013 11:05 pm

Yeah, I know you guys are all right. Thanks everyone for the kind words! He actually ended up making ANOTHER comment about my skin yesterday. I totally broke down again and told him everything I was feeling/wept uncontrollably. It was embarrassing, but I'm glad it happened. I think he finally gets it now haha. He was super supportive and said some really nice stuff. I'm definitely lucky to have him. I still feel bad that he puts up with my skin looking this way. It's all the more motivation for me to get clear though.

Don't feel bad hun. I wish we could have a magic wand and just make our acne disappear! Obviously he loves you unconditionally :)! Glad everything was sorted out! XOXO!

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 05/30/2013 11:37 pm

I'm so sorry for your hurt!!! I'm afraid I will end up alone largely in part because my bad skin makes me feel so vulnerable and unloveable. Ugh... I'm so over it

I know it's easy to feel that way but you just have to keep trying and never give up, it will clear eventually. The only thing it really has an effect on is meeting someone because first impressions are so important and when you don't feel good about how you look, it definitely comes through in your personality, at least it does for me which is why I'm taking some time to focus on improving myself inside and out before I try to start a relationship. I hate to see that you feel unloveable, nobody should ever feel that way for such a stupid reason like acne but at the same time I get where it comes from. I don't know you at all but I do know for certain that you're not unloveable.

I hope this helped at least a little bit.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/31/2013 3:01 pm

I know it's easy to feel that way but you just have to keep trying and never give up, it will clear eventually. The only thing it really has an effect on is meeting someone because first impressions are so important and when you don't feel good about how you look, it definitely comes through in your personality, at least it does for me which is why I'm taking some time to focus on improving myself inside and out before I try to start a relationship. I hate to see that you feel unloveable, nobody should ever feel that way for such a stupid reason like acne but at the same time I get where it comes from. I don't know you at all but I do know for certain that you're not unloveable.

It did help actually. I much appreciate your kind and supportive words. I've been on such a wave of emotion with this lately. I know I am lovable, but I feel so old and gross because of my skin. I'm only 29, but feel like my youthful beauty is just gone. Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting...

Still a hard pill to swallow.

MemberMember
(@megelizab)

Posted : 05/31/2013 8:26 pm

It did help actually. I much appreciate your kind and supportive words. I've been on such a wave of emotion with this lately. I know I am lovable, but I feel so old and gross because of my skin. I'm only 29, but feel like my youthful beauty is just gone. Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting...

Still a hard pill to swallow.

Oh, I know exactly how you feel! I actually had pretty moderate acne/scarring when I met my boyfriend, but it didn't bother me so much back then. For the first few years we were together I wouldn't be seen by him without make-up though. However the past few months or so have been very emotional for me. I'm just at my wit's end with acne. I seriously think the emotional damage it causes is far worse than what it does to your skin.