Notifications
Clear all

I Just Need Someone To Tell Me It Will Be Alright

MemberMember
(@otherguy)

Posted : 04/21/2013 8:39 pm

I never worried about acne in high school. But after one year at college, it came and has not left. Four years later, I still suffer from severe acne. I have tried Proactiv and so many other regimens out there, but nothing works. The best result I have had was the 19 day cure from acnedied.com, but it was maybe a 30% improvement. After the diet, my acne came back with a vengeance. I cannot look at myself in a mirror without getting depressed. About a year ago, just for fun, I decided to count how many white heads I had on my face. I counted 28. I just want to be normal.

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/21/2013 10:47 pm

It'll be alright dude you still have your health. I know you don't want to hear that but its true. Your alive and breathing bro dont let acne control you. Sure you probably will never be a model but whatever you can still lead a normal life. If it makes you feel any better I'm 31, no kids never been married, have a shit job, little money and have severe acne scars. My life is shit. I'm sure you'res is better by a long shot. Your going to college dude! I grew up poor as hell and college wasn't even a option. My 20's were spent popping zits and working shit minimum wage jobs.

Look I dont know you but I'm sure your life is better than you think. I'm sure you have a family that loves you and have a much more privileged life than a vast majority of people living on this planet. Yea acne sucks. I fucking hate it and wonder why it even exsists. but whatever dont let it define who you are. I'm sure you are an awesome person. I'ts gonna be alright for sure! Keep studying and keep trying to find a way to control your acne. Thats all I can say.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/21/2013 10:59 pm

Hey, you're not alone. I feel the same way when I look in the mirror. I don't think I could ever count the number of scars I have 'cause that'll just tear me apart. I also feel like I'm the only one in the world with a fucked up face like mine. When I go to school, in the city bus, in the subway, I see NO ONE with a face as bad as mine. If I had to count the number of people with bad skin I encountered during one day, I can assure you that number would be close to zero. i dunno, maybe they're really good with makeup or maybe I unconsciously learned not to pay attention to people's skin.

However, I am very slowly trying to accept my skin by seeing myself as a whole human being, and not just as my skin if that makes sense. I know it's hard since the face is the first thing people look at. I suggest you browse and read through this forum. It really helped me a lot with dealing with this.

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 04/22/2013 12:27 am

Hey, you're not alone. I feel the same way when I look in the mirror. I don't think I could ever count the number of scars I have 'cause that'll just tear me apart. I also feel like I'm the only one in the world with a fucked up face like mine. When I go to school, in the city bus, in the subway, I see NO ONE with a face as bad as mine. If I had to count the number of people with bad skin I encountered during one day, I can assure you that number would be close to zero. i dunno, maybe they're really good with makeup or maybe I unconsciously learned not to pay attention to people's skin.

However, I am very slowly trying to accept my skin by seeing myself as a whole human being, and not just as my skin if that makes sense. I know it's hard since the face is the first thing people look at. I suggest you browse and read through this forum. It really helped me a lot with dealing with this.

Honestly, you look gorgeous from what I can see in your profile picture. I can't imagine acne ruining your natural beauty. So cheer up :) I am a college senior currently and, in the midst of a moderate breakout, I've definitely gotten pretty depressed and am indeed more conscious of people's skin when I talk to them. I get really uncomfortable when I converse with people who have no skin issues, as I'm under the impression that they are judging me based on my acne. The fact that we are so conscious of our own skin makes us hypersensitive to other people's faces who we perceive to have less issues than we do. Realistically, acne and skin problems, in general, are really, really common.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 04/22/2013 2:27 am

I never worried about acne in high school. But after one year at college, it came and has not left. Four years later, I still suffer from severe acne. I have tried Proactiv and so many other regimens out there, but nothing works. The best result I have had was the 19 day cure from acnedied.com, but it was maybe a 30% improvement. After the diet, my acne came back with a vengeance. I cannot look at myself in a mirror without getting depressed. About a year ago, just for fun, I decided to count how many white heads I had on my face. I counted 28. I just want to be normal.

You ARE normal. There are more people out there with the same problems as you have. Let me ask you a question. Have you been to the doctor with your acne?

MemberMember
(@yellowbellow35)

Posted : 04/23/2013 3:34 pm

Everything will be alright. I think that it was very healthy of you to come to this forum for advice; as Stella the diver said, I think this forum has helped me get through some really low points. I would suggest that if you have not been to a dermatologist that you make an appointment with one. Some people's acne does not respond to over the counter treatments. I know how hard acne can be. Just remember that if you can get through life with acne, you can get through so much more! You are a strong and valuable person smile.png

MemberMember
(@thatwillnotfly)

Posted : 04/25/2013 12:46 am

Yes yes yes x 1000. "Whole human being" is the magic phrase. This is sort of off topic, but one of the key reasons I compulsively pick at my skin is a little voice that says, "clear skin is beautiful, acne is disgusting, and you have this on your face--that makes you disgusting." I am trying so hard to stop picking, and I know that in order to do that I have to stop looking at my face as somehow representative of my worth. Acne/scarring is a nuisance, it is unpleasant, and it is hard to get rid of, but that's all it is.

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 04/26/2013 12:00 am

Hey guys. I'm 28 and suffered (actually I should say ALLOWED myself to suffer) from acne for many many years in the past. I think the title of this thread is great. "Wake up" is a great way of putting it cause in a way, metaphorically and literally, we are still asleep. A little acceptance goes a long way. As a matter of fact, by learning to accept your "condition" and letting go - you've taken the first and most crucial step in recovery, aka awakening. I'm not talking about anything spiritual or mystical. The proof shows in your physical appearance as well as in your mental state. Make the choice! No one else can do it for you. The sooner you realize that there is no such product or piece of information out there that can make you deeply satisfied with yourself, the better.

Following your passion is by far the best way to "heal". Whatever damage you think you may have done already or whatever time you think you've wasted, leave it behind. DROP IT! Look at what you've gained through the suffering. I repeat: LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE GAINED THROUGH THE SUFFERING.

The lessons you've learned through dealing with your condition are priceless. You've gained wisdom, or whatever you want to call it. Emotional intelligence, the ability to look deeply within yourself and others. These characteristics, and many others which you've learned, will serve you well. We all know how shallow and ignorant and selfish and etc people can be, esp those who haven't had a taste of suffering like we have. But we mustn't wish suffering on them. That doesn't solve the problem. The "problem " is our own perception. simple. our own perception.

Here is the highlight of my post: Once we learn to shift our perception of ourselves, the result will be a shift in perception towards everyone and everything else. Nothing at all, esp some silly skin flaw, can take away at all from the joy of having control of yourself, your thoughts, and your emotions.

THIS IS YOUR LIFE PEOPLE. NO ONE ELSE'S!!!! smile.pngsmile.png :smile.png good luck