Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Attractiveness Level

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/09/2013 10:54 am

This may sound like a silly question, but can someone with acne still be considered attractive?

Or does having a poor complexion override other nice features such as nice eyes, wearing pretty clothes, slim figure etc?

In my experience it seems that the skin on your face is the first thing people notice about you. It is very upsetting that despite being attractive in other ways, it seems like having a face full of spots really lets you down :(

All the bullying from family and friends over the years has really got me down. My sisters for example really picked on me, I remember when we all used to apply our make up before work/college in the same room, and they'd say how awful my skin was, then be nasty to me for applying too much foundation to cover it up. They'd say I caked it on and wore way too much and the wrong colour, but in such a nasty and snarling way. then they'd look down their nose at me and give me haughty body language for having ugly skin whilst they had no spots at all. More recently they call me fake, for supposedly liking the 'fake' make up look, even though I apply it really well these days. That's just one example, but my family and friends bullied me constantly and made me feel hideous. I just didn't want to go out and became reclusive. Years later it's still affecting me and I still like to hide away at times when my skin gets angry.

MemberMember
(@basedgod)

Posted : 04/09/2013 11:19 am

Back in my final year of high school, there was this girl that had moderate acne on her cheeks. From the looks of it she didn't apply makeup seeing that her face was always bright red. I ended up having a crush on her because of her confidence and how she presented herself. If you let acne get the best of you, people will see that and will associate who you are with acne. If you present yourself in the opposite manner, you will be associated with your personality and other features. In my situation, I suffer from sever hyper-pigmentation but I try to be myself at all times, and people remember me as that "awesome and funny guy who dresses well".

In my opinion, an attractive person will always be attractive. I'm not going to lie, having acne can weigh down other nice features that you pointed out but in the end, that person retains those attractive qualities.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/09/2013 1:06 pm

am sorry that u faced such people.

am sorry again,but those people are immature,stupid, and have what i'd call is 'mentality issues'!

u should just retort back once in a while and ask them to grow up or have a life!

how dumb and useless of them.

coming to ur question,i personally dont think it matters much for a real mature person.may be more some ,it does.

when i was younger..may be 13-14..acne or skin issues would matter to me.a lil' though.(i never looked down on ppl bt).

but now a guy with real qualities attracts me not just good looks.

i've a feeling most girls(not the barbie dolls!) go for stable,mature and fun guys rather than the ones who try to look like innerwear models.

also,i am asking u a simple question to help u make up ur mind.

do u really wanna be liked for just the way u look?!

really?

well,if that happens,all u have to do is pray all ur life that u dnt change at all..cause otherwise u'll naturally be ditched.wont u?

am sorry again..if i was a lil' rude earlier but things like this(especially from family members) irritate me.

family is one place where u need not pretend to be anyone else.be yourself.u'll be cared for whatever happens.=)

dnt worry.

have a great personality and u'll win.

love,

aana

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 04/09/2013 4:53 pm

I recently started posting here because my acne had really gotten me down for very superficial reasons. I'm a college senior and I've always seen myself as a decently attractive guy (decide for yourself - I attached an acne free picture) who isn't afraid to approach girls or be in social situations. I'm an extreme extrovert by nature - I go out a lot, party, drink, work out, play sports, etc. I feel uncomfortable when I'm alone and usually slip into a depressed state within a week or two. Recently, I experienced a moderate breakout and got really down about it. I headed over to the dermatologist about a month ago and got on Solodyn and Ziana in hopes of becoming clear as soon as possible. My acne was killing me (and still is, to an extent). Although my situation is better, disastrous scenarios always kept running through my head - "No one will find me attractive with my face in this state, I look horrible." "I'm nothing like I used to be." "All the girls I see will just immediately be turned off and disregard me." All of these things hurt me deeply and I felt like I had to alter a lifestyle that I've become so accustomed to because of the way I felt other people perceived me in my current state. I haven't convinced myself that girls can really look past acne and still find me very attractive but I've definitely read enough about it to be more encouraged. If you let acne take over your mind, everything about you will seem off and people will be turned off by your overall demeanor. If you are radiating confidence and you are naturally an attractive person, you will come off as magnetic to the opposite sex.

Even in this picture, though the lighting does not reveal it, I have a few spots around my chin. Smiling is something that I have to get used to once more after these last few weeks.

545155_4100461913708_1399885029_n.jpg

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 04/09/2013 5:30 pm

Don't just focus on the skin. Wear nice clothes, do your hair nice. Make sure you smell great, shine your shoes, brush your teeth.... etc.

But most importantly, smile when you're out and about. Don't be a afraid to have a bit of swagger about yourself. Seriously, the more positive you are about yourself, the more positivity you'll attract into your life.

The more you think about things like acne and scars, the more stressed out, anxious and depressed you'll become. And that certainly won't do your skin any favours. So don't worry so much, just look the best you possibly can look, then you can't go wrong.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/09/2013 9:02 pm

Just want to thank you all for these words. God knows how down I have been these days.

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 04/10/2013 4:08 am

The thing that bothers me about these kinds of threads is that people often make out that the only way to 'compensate' for acne is to be confident, outgoing, extrovert, sociable, etc. etc. - especially if you're male. It's as if there's only one definition of a good personality.

But even if I'd never had acne I think I would still be naturally introverted and somewhat quiet.

Do people think you can still be attractive even if you're not the loud, outgoing guy?

I don't mean that I'm depressive, rude, unfriendly - I mean that I have, and would like to develop, more of a quiet confidence. I'm not a withdrawn loser - I've achieved a lot (a published writer who teaches and gives talk across the country).

I know that ultra-confident, dominant men will always get most of the female attention, but are there girls out there who'd be drawn to the more quiet (but kind and intelligent) type - even if he has a bit of acne? Or does acne mean that you have to try harder to be more outgoing?

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 04/10/2013 6:14 am

The thing that bothers me about these kinds of threads is that people often make out that the only way to 'compensate' for acne is to be confident, outgoing, extrovert, sociable, etc. etc. - especially if you're male. It's as if there's only one definition of a good personality.

But even if I'd never had acne I think I would still be naturally introverted and somewhat quiet.

Do people think you can still be attractive even if you're not the loud, outgoing guy?

I don't mean that I'm depressive, rude, unfriendly - I mean that I have, and would like to develop, more of a quiet confidence. I'm not a withdrawn loser - I've achieved a lot (a published writer who teaches and gives talk across the country).

I know that ultra-confident, dominant men will always get most of the female attention, but are there girls out there who'd be drawn to the more quiet (but kind and intelligent) type - even if he has a bit of acne? Or does acne mean that you have to try harder to be more outgoing?

It bothers me too.

It's offensive as Hell when someone discriminates based on "confidence". I've heard some people "explain themselves" though and it's not always an objectionable way of thinking that people have...but sometimes it is. It's just horrible to me. How some women look for "a confident guy" instead of having a dignified relationship with an idividual. For some people relationships really are a recreational sport and it's just wrong.

Priest: Sasha, do you take this confident guy to be your lawfully wedded husband?

Sasha: Oh yeah. hifive.gif

Priest: Confident guy, do you take Sasha to be your wedded wife?

Confident guy: lol

Priest: Then I now pronouce you husband and wife!

eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@simonukox)

Posted : 04/10/2013 11:26 am

Acne on other people doesn't bother me at all, its only when I see it on my own face that I find it abhorrent.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/10/2013 12:52 pm

am sorry that u faced such people.

am sorry again,but those people are immature,stupid, and have what i'd call is 'mentality issues'!

u should just retort back once in a while and ask them to grow up or have a life!

how dumb and useless of them.

coming to ur question,i personally dont think it matters much for a real mature person.may be more some ,it does.

when i was younger..may be 13-14..acne or skin issues would matter to me.a lil' though.(i never looked down on ppl bt).

but now a guy with real qualities attracts me not just good looks.

i've a feeling most girls(not the barbie dolls!) go for stable,mature and fun guys rather than the ones who try to look like innerwear models.

also,i am asking u a simple question to help u make up ur mind.

do u really wanna be liked for just the way u look?!

really?

well,if that happens,all u have to do is pray all ur life that u dnt change at all..cause otherwise u'll naturally be ditched.wont u?

am sorry again..if i was a lil' rude earlier but things like this(especially from family members) irritate me.

family is one place where u need not pretend to be anyone else.be yourself.u'll be cared for whatever happens.=)

dnt worry.

have a great personality and u'll win.

love,

aana

Hi Aana,

No don't worry you were not rude at all, my family have made me feel so bad about having acne amongst other things, your comments were an understatement!

Buy yeah I guess you're right, it is shallow to want to be liked jut for being attractive, however it seems that if you have some sort of shortcoming in the looks department you have to really try extra hard to be smart, funny, outgoing, kind to others etc. But when someone is gorgeous it's like they don't even need to try, they just attract people anyway. Maybe that's why so many 'eleven out of ten' girls have no personality, because their looks alone have been enough to get them plenty of friends and attention.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/10/2013 1:15 pm

It bothers me too.

It's offensive as Hell when someone discriminates based on "confidence". I've heard some people "explain themselves" though and it's not always an objectionable way of thinking that people have...but sometimes it is. It's just horrible to me. How some women look for "a confident guy" instead of having a dignified relationship with an idividual. For some people relationships really are a recreational sport and it's just wrong.

Priest: Sasha, do you take this confident guy to be your lawfully wedded husband?

Sasha: Oh yeah. hifive.gif

Priest: Confident guy, do you take Sasha to be your wedded wife?

Confident guy: lol

Priest: Then I now pronouce you husband and wife!

eusa_wall.gif

hey!

i did notice such conversations (not just here!) and yes,sometimes i do feel some people doesnt know what 'personality' stands for.

it's not just about being able to talk girls or act cool.

be a party-stopper or a centre of attraction.

now what mostly happens is the cheerful and suave guy who walks up to a kittie group and cracks the funniest joke becomes the centre of attraction.

but personally i dnt like such men.

personality for me is more about how the person thinks and may be how he expresses.he needn't be all funny all the time(infact,men to try to up the laughter quotient all the time irritates me!they sound like a stand-up comedian 24x7) but a warm smart and thoughtful(yes,intelligent!) talk will remain with me forever.

plus what matters the most is 'mentality'.

hardly anyone seems to talk abt that here or anywhere.

outward doesnt mean attractive or confident.

(i speak for myself..i have no idea what girls in general think is hot)

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/10/2013 1:18 pm

I recently started posting here because my acne had really gotten me down for very superficial reasons. I'm a college senior and I've always seen myself as a decently attractive guy (decide for yourself - I attached an acne free picture) who isn't afraid to approach girls or be in social situations. I'm an extreme extrovert by nature - I go out a lot, party, drink, work out, play sports, etc. I feel uncomfortable when I'm alone and usually slip into a depressed state within a week or two. Recently, I experienced a moderate breakout and got really down about it. I headed over to the dermatologist about a month ago and got on Solodyn and Ziana in hopes of becoming clear as soon as possible. My acne was killing me (and still is, to an extent). Although my situation is better, disastrous scenarios always kept running through my head - "No one will find me attractive with my face in this state, I look horrible." "I'm nothing like I used to be." "All the girls I see will just immediately be turned off and disregard me." All of these things hurt me deeply and I felt like I had to alter a lifestyle that I've become so accustomed to because of the way I felt other people perceived me in my current state. I haven't convinced myself that girls can really look past acne and still find me very attractive but I've definitely read enough about it to be more encouraged. If you let acne take over your mind, everything about you will seem off and people will be turned off by your overall demeanor. If you are radiating confidence and you are naturally an attractive person, you will come off as magnetic to the opposite sex.

Even in this picture, though the lighting does not reveal it, I have a few spots around my chin. Smiling is something that I have to get used to once more after these last few weeks.

Hi there,

Wow, you are anything but negative! What a lovely looking guy you are, even with a moderate outbreak I'm sure you are still very popular with girls with those looks. It's easy for me to tell you not to worry and to continue going out and enjoying being around your friends but I know exactly how you feel. Having acne really ruins your self image and it sucks, chances are that due to your age there are probably loads of others with the same skin problem in your social circle though. Hopefully your treatment will work for you soon :)

I know what you mean about avoiding going out for fear people will judge you on our skin, I have been like that for years. Well, when I was a younger teenager saying no wasn't even an issue for me anyway as no one invited me anywhere anyway, but now I am aged 31 and still get outbreaks plus very oily skin and also a few holes in my cheeks - sometimes I feel so miserable about my appearance that I avoid social situations. It's a shame that we live in a society where everyone judges each other :( Like you I am an extroverted person but my confidence issues seem to suffocate me and the outgoing girl in me often feels trapped if that makes sense? (my problems run a lot deeper than my skin though!). When on top form I can be the life and soul of the party - I've got a great sense of humour and love being around people, but often feel I'm not doing myself justice due to my self image. Some people who don't know me well even assume I'm shy and quiet which couldn't be further from the truth! Again, being judged by others even on personality traits. It's a shame also that people with acne or any other shortcoming in the looks department seem to have to make up for it with a 'good personality', when the truth is this is a time where you feel anything but confident. Also, what makes acne even harder to deal with is its association with poor diet which is upsetting to me because I enjoy sport/fitness and eating well yet it doesn't show in my complexion.

Hang in there, I feel your pain and if you ever wanna talk I'm here, but try not to feel so bad about yourself - you are wonderful and have excellent qualities :)

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 04/10/2013 3:31 pm

i did notice such conversations (not just here!) and yes,sometimes i do feel some people doesnt know what 'personality' stands for.

now what mostly happens is the cheerful and suave guy who walks up to a kittie group and cracks the funniest joke becomes the centre of attraction.

personality for me is more about how the person thinks and may be how he expresses.he needn't be all funny all the time(infact,men to try to up the laughter quotient all the time irritates me!they sound like a stand-up comedian 24x7) but a warm smart and thoughtful(yes,intelligent!) talk will remain with me forever.

I love your post!

"Outward doesn't mean attractive or confident"

So true! eusa_clap.gif

MemberMember
(@mrnegative)

Posted : 04/10/2013 4:35 pm

Hi there,

Wow, you are anything but negative! What a lovely looking guy you are, even with a moderate outbreak I'm sure you are still very popular with girls with those looks. It's easy for me to tell you not to worry and to continue going out and enjoying being around your friends but I know exactly how you feel. Having acne really ruins your self image and it sucks, chances are that due to your age there are probably loads of others with the same skin problem in your social circle though. Hopefully your treatment will work for you soon smile.png

I know what you mean about avoiding going out for fear people will judge you on our skin, I have been like that for years. Well, when I was a younger teenager saying no wasn't even an issue for me anyway as no one invited me anywhere anyway, but now I am aged 31 and still get outbreaks plus very oily skin and also a few holes in my cheeks - sometimes I feel so miserable about my appearance that I avoid social situations. It's a shame that we live in a society where everyone judges each other sad.png Like you I am an extroverted person but my confidence issues seem to suffocate me and the outgoing girl in me often feels trapped if that makes sense? (my problems run a lot deeper than my skin though!). When on top form I can be the life and soul of the party - I've got a great sense of humour and love being around people, but often feel I'm not doing myself justice due to my self image. Some people who don't know me well even assume I'm shy and quiet which couldn't be further from the truth! Again, being judged by others even on personality traits. It's a shame also that people with acne or any other shortcoming in the looks department seem to have to make up for it with a 'good personality', when the truth is this is a time where you feel anything but confident. Also, what makes acne even harder to deal with is its association with poor diet which is upsetting to me because I enjoy sport/fitness and eating well yet it doesn't show in my complexion.

Hang in there, I feel your pain and if you ever wanna talk I'm here, but try not to feel so bad about yourself - you are wonderful and have excellent qualities smile.png

Hi there,

Wow, you are anything but negative! What a lovely looking guy you are, even with a moderate outbreak I'm sure you are still very popular with girls with those looks. It's easy for me to tell you not to worry and to continue going out and enjoying being around your friends but I know exactly how you feel. Having acne really ruins your self image and it sucks, chances are that due to your age there are probably loads of others with the same skin problem in your social circle though. Hopefully your treatment will work for you soon smile.png

I know what you mean about avoiding going out for fear people will judge you on our skin, I have been like that for years. Well, when I was a younger teenager saying no wasn't even an issue for me anyway as no one invited me anywhere anyway, but now I am aged 31 and still get outbreaks plus very oily skin and also a few holes in my cheeks - sometimes I feel so miserable about my appearance that I avoid social situations. It's a shame that we live in a society where everyone judges each other sad.png Like you I am an extroverted person but my confidence issues seem to suffocate me and the outgoing girl in me often feels trapped if that makes sense? (my problems run a lot deeper than my skin though!). When on top form I can be the life and soul of the party - I've got a great sense of humour and love being around people, but often feel I'm not doing myself justice due to my self image. Some people who don't know me well even assume I'm shy and quiet which couldn't be further from the truth! Again, being judged by others even on personality traits. It's a shame also that people with acne or any other shortcoming in the looks department seem to have to make up for it with a 'good personality', when the truth is this is a time where you feel anything but confident. Also, what makes acne even harder to deal with is its association with poor diet which is upsetting to me because I enjoy sport/fitness and eating well yet it doesn't show in my complexion.

Hang in there, I feel your pain and if you ever wanna talk I'm here, but try not to feel so bad about yourself - you are wonderful and have excellent qualities smile.png

You are awesome! Thank you very much for your kind words. It's always so difficult to understand how others really see us and that is why we get so down and confused. Often, confidence problems run deeper than just our skin, even when we fail to realize it. Working to better ourselves in every department, even when skin problems seem to be the priority, can benefit us in unimaginable ways. It would even be possible to forget about acne and let it heal if we could focus on something else for the time being. That's what I'm working on. I'm sure you are a beautiful person no matter how harshly you judge yourself. Don't get down on yourself - you deserve better.

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 04/10/2013 7:03 pm

You don't have to be loud and out going to be attractive, but you'll be far less noticed if you don't put yourself out there.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/11/2013 4:59 am

I love your post!

"Outward doesn't mean attractive or confident"

So true! eusa_clap.gif

thank u very much.rolleyes.gif

i'm in a medical student and there's one man who i feel is almost perfect on the blue planet(as of now!) =p

he's a neurosurgeon who's a guest lecturer.

i've never seen him talk loud or try to grab any attention except for when someone gropes the wrong nerve!

but i know for sure that all the eyes in the room are always on him..not because he's the most handsome man with flawless skin and best sense of humour but he's good at his work(which is an understatement..he's the bloody best if u ask me!) and he's confident.

he's got amazing level of understanding people from every genre of life even though he himself belongs to the extreme level.

he's warm and modest.

i can go on n on.

but then sadly he's way too older! ;P:Pgrinwink.gif

anyway,what i mean to say is that to dont have to 'put yourself out there' to let know u r there.

u can be good at other fields(any aspect of life other than looks i mean...which also includes the way u think.) and u can make the heads turn.(personally speaking a man who thinks or says a game or match is more important than a serious issue of child abuse somehere in africa(miles and miles away from happy home) does need to grow up)

let me also add that one doesnt be as perfect and great at work for appreciation.

u can be a daily worker and even a unemployed writer and still fetch some good reviews.

am sorry for a longgg post.

i've a bad habit of making it endless.i just cant make it shorter.neutral.gif

aana

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 04/11/2013 6:30 am

i'm in a medical student and there's one man who i feel is almost perfect on the blue planet(as of now!) =p

i've never seen him talk loud or try to grab any attention except for when someone gropes the wrong nerve!

but i know for sure that all the eyes in the room are always on him..not because he's the most handsome man with flawless skin and best sense of humour but he's good at his work(which is an understatement..he's the bloody best if u ask me!) and he's confident.

he's got amazing level of understanding people from every genre of life even though he himself belongs to the extreme level.

he's warm and modest.

i can go on n on.

but then sadly he's way too older! ;Ptongue.pnggrinwink.gif

anyway,what i mean to say is that to dont have to 'put yourself out there' to let know u r there.

u can be good at other fields(any aspect of life other than looks i mean...which also includes the way u think.) and u can make the heads turn.(personally speaking a man who thinks or says a game or match is more important than a serious issue of child abuse somehere in africa(miles and miles away from happy home) does need to grow up)

let me also add that one doesnt be as perfect and great at work for appreciation.

u can be a daily worker and even a unemployed writer and still fetch some good reviews.

aana

It doesn't matter that it's long as it's interesting reading! ^_^

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/11/2013 7:23 am

he's warm and modest.

i can go on n on.

but then sadly he's way too older! ;Ptongue.pnggrinwink.gif

aana

It doesn't matter that it's long as it's interesting reading! amused.gif

i'm horribly sorry for the typos.

there are so many!

crazy.gif

MemberMember
(@breakthehabit8)

Posted : 04/15/2013 1:59 pm

I understand what you guys are saying about being bothered by people who think confidence is what makes you attractive even if you have acne. I can see where you're coming from, but I also think that there's something to having confidence that I think people might not have phrased correctly in other posts...

It's not necessarily being outgoing, it's not being cocky, it's not being arrogant, not necessrily even confidence. It's more of acceptance and contentment. I am a very quiet person. I used to be shy but have come out of my shell since I graduated college. I will never be an outgoing or loud person. But I think my contentment with who I am (and maybe what people misnamed confidence) is what has really made me happy and able to live life in spite of hating my skin.

I realized that why would anyone be happy around me if I couldn't even be happy with myself? Even if I had perfectly clear skin, there would be something else about me that I'd hate. There would be something else that other people would point out to me. There would be something else... I could not let something (even as frustating and painful and hurtful) as acne take away my one and only life.

Believe me, guys... I know it's easier said than done. I had people say that to me, and I hated them for it. But contentment and happiness doesn't lie in whether your skin is clear or not. You can't let acne determine whether you can be happy.

As to the original post.... yes! It is absolutely true that you can be attractive with acne. I have liked guys with acne, and guys have liked me even when my acne was at its worst. In fact, in college my friend told me of a burn website that listed the hottest girls in the school and I (embarassingly) made the list... That's not to brag but to show you that that happened when my acne was at it's worst!

The people who will have a problem with you don't care whether acne is what they make fun of you for... they will find whatever they want and use it to bring you down. Surround yourself with people who will love and care for you in spite of your flaws. Everyone has flaws that need to be overlooked. No one is the exception to that. My boyfriend fell in love with me when my acne was awful. I couldn't believe that someone so handsome and amazing could look past my horrible skin.... And not only looked past it but found me irresistably attractive in spite of it.

All this to say, I don't think it's confidence necessarily that makes someone attractive in spite of physical flaws (whatever they may be). I think the most beautiful people are the ones who are always thinking of others before themselves. Because acne made me self-conscious, it was so easy to turn in a little shell and think about me... Because I was hurting. I was in such emotional pain that it was nearly impossible to think about anyone but myself. But once I was able to break out of that, I have been so much happier since....

Whoa, this is long... Sorry for rambling!

MemberMember
(@okaythen)

Posted : 04/15/2013 4:30 pm

This thread is so full of such wonderful, positive posts. This is exactly what I needed.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 04/16/2013 1:18 am

I have to confess there's a guy in my Psychology class that I stare at all the time, even though his cheeks are covered with acne and red remarks, I still find him really attractive.

MemberMember
(@bsdetector)

Posted : 04/16/2013 8:32 am

One of the hottest chicks I've ever seen in my life had pretty significant acne...

For some reason, acne on an otherwise hot woman/girl has no effect on how I perceive her looks.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/16/2013 10:23 am

One of the hottest chicks I've ever seen in my life had pretty significant acne...

For some reason, acne on an otherwise hot woman/girl has no effect on how I perceive her looks.

That's very encouraging to hear, thank you! Apart from having acne I am otherwise attractive but have always thought my skin lets me down and that it's the first thing people notice and judge me on.