Notifications
Clear all

How To Deal With The Emotional Impact Of Acne

MemberMember
(@clearupacne)

Posted : 04/04/2013 7:09 pm

Acne is just as much a mental disease, as it is a physical disease. The scarring on the face reflects the scarring on the mind. The inflammation in the cheeks inflame your bits of self-confidence. Simply put, acne just wears on the mind.

Before I get started on how to deal with mental acne issues, I want to tell a little bit about myself. I am currently on day 10 of accutane, during my worst acne breakout ever. This isn't a looking back at the past, you can do it, be strong thing; this is a now thing. As I type this I can say people constantly scan my face (I don't blame them I have several cysts and 50+ pimples.) and sometimes ask what's wrong.

But you know what? I absolutely love my life. I love every minute of it. I can honestly say I do and I came to this mindset with one thing. It's called Realization.

You must realize what's really going on! You yourself is the thing worrying about your acne. If you know that you are you, and the acne comes with it, so be it! Let people stare, its natural of them. Thank people for their concern. When someone looks at you with that disgusted look, don't think "Oh my god I need to fix this," instead look into that person and think, "Wow. What a smug person for judging someone so easily just by their skin."

You are what you say you are. If you say you'll be happy when your acne clears, I'm sure that's true, but if you say you're going to be happy no matter what, it will be just as valid. You control your mindset, not the ones judging you. You must realize this.

Some may read this, follow what I'm saying, and take it in logically, yet get nothing out of it. It's because you must actually feel the way I'm describing! You must keep thinking how happy you are until you actually feel it. Fake it 'til you make it! You live in the reality you allow your mind to create. Make a conscious effort to flip the switch and get ahold of yourself. Why wait for clear skin to be happy? Why not try? But hey, if being depressed and anxious and pissed all the time is your thing, keep doing what you're doing.

micky22 and Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/04/2013 10:47 pm

Powerful post. Your 100% right, but you have to admit its hard to just turn that switch on and be all positive all of a sudden. I've been in some deep dark places in my life but I'm still here at the age of 30 soon to be 31 so I guess I still want to be here ya know. I'm trying to forget about what gives me extreme anxiety and self hate and create my own reality or whatever..its just a process. And its hard. It'll take a while and its tough but I'm gonna try to get through this sh*t. Love ya bro.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/05/2013 2:34 am

This is the sort of thing I've been trying to do lately. Just accept myself as I am, acne and all. Acne might be a part of my life forever and as much as I hate that idea I don't want to be 'holding myself back' or letting myself be miserable and not enjoy life etc because of it. I want to be happier and more confident and accepting myself and accepting the fact that I have acne will help me with all that.

And I say that I've been 'trying' to do this because that's all I can do is try. I can't make myself think like this all the time - I still have days where I end up being 'focused' on having acne and I'm miserable because of it. I still have 'down days' and I think that's normal - healthy even. I just don't want to make a habit of that if I can help it..

So yeah, I agree with what you're saying. The mind is pretty powerful. And there's no reason why I should let acne make me unhappy - I think I can be happy and enjoy life even with acne - I just need to keep working at accepting myself more/completely. :)

MemberMember
(@clearupacne)

Posted : 04/05/2013 4:06 pm

Powerful post. Your 100% right, but you have to admit its hard to just turn that switch on and be all positive all of a sudden. I've been in some deep dark places in my life but I'm still here at the age of 30 soon to be 31 so I guess I still want to be here ya know. I'm trying to forget about what gives me extreme anxiety and self hate and create my own reality or whatever..its just a process. And its hard. It'll take a while and its tough but I'm gonna try to get through this sh*t. Love ya bro.

Yes. There's no magical way to flip the switch. It takes time. But I can promise it will be worth it. Just keep at it!

This is the sort of thing I've been trying to do lately. Just accept myself as I am, acne and all. Acne might be a part of my life forever and as much as I hate that idea I don't want to be 'holding myself back' or letting myself be miserable and not enjoy life etc because of it. I want to be happier and more confident and accepting myself and accepting the fact that I have acne will help me with all that.

And I say that I've been 'trying' to do this because that's all I can do is try. I can't make myself think like this all the time - I still have days where I end up being 'focused' on having acne and I'm miserable because of it. I still have 'down days' and I think that's normal - healthy even. I just don't want to make a habit of that if I can help it..

So yeah, I agree with what you're saying. The mind is pretty powerful. And there's no reason why I should let acne make me unhappy - I think I can be happy and enjoy life even with acne - I just need to keep working at accepting myself more/completely. smile.png

I think you have a great understanding of what I'm trying to convey. I'm glad there are people like you who understand what's really going on. :)

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/05/2013 10:36 pm

Indeed a powerful post :)! Thank you so much for sharing :)

MemberMember
(@ninjawizard)

Posted : 04/06/2013 12:56 am

It truly is a mental disease, like it comes with having acne, but the ability to stay positive is so important you do not want to go on that downward spiral. There are always gonna be ups and down but worrying and being concerned about acne is such a waste of time even though it comes naturally to everyone. Everyone just has to battle through it and think about the future and how to effectively combat this gahd damn disease. Honestly It's not easy to be happy with acne I mean if people with acne really loved their life they wouldn't even try accutane/dkr/or any other treatments, everyone here that has managed to get clear I bet are 100 percent happier with themselves and how they look then their acne. Keep fighting the good fight and it all starts with attitude. And guys that stare at you smugly are assholes, they'll never be as great as you bro. In the end maybe we can all say that acne has made us stronger more positive people we just gotta take it in as it is. I hope you get great results on accutane because your personality is great already man.

A true honest post bro

MemberMember
(@clearupacne)

Posted : 04/06/2013 4:19 pm

It truly is a mental disease, like it comes with having acne, but the ability to stay positive is so important you do not want to go on that downward spiral. There are always gonna be ups and down but worrying and being concerned about acne is such a waste of time even though it comes naturally to everyone. Everyone just has to battle through it and think about the future and how to effectively combat this gahd damn disease. Honestly It's not easy to be happy with acne I mean if people with acne really loved their life they wouldn't even try accutane/dkr/or any other treatments, everyone here that has managed to get clear I bet are 100 percent happier with themselves and how they look then their acne. Keep fighting the good fight and it all starts with attitude. And guys that stare at you smugly are assholes, they'll never be as great as you bro. In the end maybe we can all say that acne has made us stronger more positive people we just gotta take it in as it is. I hope you get great results on accutane because your personality is great already man.

A true honest post bro

Great way to think about things my friend. I know this sounds ludicrous but if we can harness the effects of acne and see it as an opportunity to make ourselves stronger, then acne isn't a bad thing at all! Just keep on keepin on. In the end, that's all you can do and that's all that matters.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:19 pm

Some may read this, follow what I'm saying, and take it in logically, yet get nothing out of it. It's because you must actually feel the way I'm describing! You must keep thinking how happy you are until you actually feel it. Fake it 'til you make it! You live in the reality you allow your mind to create. Make a conscious effort to flip the switch and get ahold of yourself. Why wait for clear skin to be happy? Why not try? But hey, if being depressed and anxious and pissed all the time is your thing, keep doing what you're doing.

That switch...kept getting jammed for me whenever i'd see people without acne. And whenever i'd look in a mirror. And whenever someone would point it out to me. And whenever method after method failed. And whenever i'd get my hopes up, only to realize i was right back where i started.

Really love this idea, but...is it applicable? How easy is it really? Truthfully?

It's incredibly difficult, if not impossible. Unless you live in isolation. We are the only body we've known, and the only sense of self we've ever known. Or are currently conscious of... and we're stuck with it for life. Our appearance is the first thing people take note of. I HATE this about human nature btw. I honestly wish humans had a choice over what they looked like, because when it comes down to it, good looking people have it 1000x easier. It's a painful truth, that again, i hate. Fuck human nature

Thankfully, i believe everyone can find the solution to their acne. Cliche, but seriously, never give up

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/06/2013 11:58 pm

That switch...kept getting jammed for me whenever i'd see people without acne. And whenever i'd look in a mirror. And whenever someone would point it out to me. And whenever method after method failed. And whenever i'd get my hopes up, only to realize i was right back where i started.

Really love this idea, but...is it applicable? How easy is it really? Truthfully?

It's incredibly difficult, if not impossible. Unless you live in isolation. We are the only body we've known, and the only sense of self we've ever known. Or are currently conscious of... and we're stuck with it for life. Our appearance is the first thing people take note of. I HATE this about human nature btw. I honestly wish humans had a choice over what they looked like, because when it comes down to it, good looking people have it 1000x easier. It's a painful truth, that again, i hate. Fuck human nature

Thankfully, i believe everyone can find the solution to their acne. Cliche, but seriously, never give up

You're right. It's not easy at all. But I think it's applicable enough for someone who really wants to try it.

I find the fact that I don't live in isolation and that I do have to go out in public and deal with human nature sometimes helps me with this. I can't avoid interaction with people completely. Whether it's just being around people on public transport, or interacting with people at uni or at the shops etc. I just have to get on with it and go about my day regardless of having acne. And if it's a good day, where I can make myself feel more confident or I'm feeling good/happy in general, then that's even better. It really helps when other people treat you 'normally' and at least appear to not notice your skin though.

And even though I'm trying to just accept acne, I don't mean that I'm giving up on finding my cure at all - I'm just trying to make the effort to not let acne bug me so much or dictate my mood and how I go about life. I could be miserable everyday if I focused on it a lot or I can think about it less, try and accept myself completely and then enjoy life more. I think it's also about picking yourself up and getting out of a 'funk' when you've had a bad day or are just so sick of acne and dealing with it. Try and see the positives I guess.

All of these sorts of things are SO much easier said than done but I always think that they're worth a try.

All just my opinion though...