Notifications
Clear all

My 30 Day Challenge

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 11/11/2012 10:39 pm

Here goes, I'm trying again to stop picking or squeezing whatever bumps appear on my body. I don't have that many new pimples that form daily, but when they do, I tend to make them very inflamed. I have two remnants on my neck that I'd like to get rid of, and one behind my ear I've antagonized too many times. My cousin is getting married in a month, and I'm spending Christmas with my sisters, so I don't want to go visit them with scabs or huge inflamed spots.

Here goes. Trying to replace it with more constructive things; playing my guitar, playing Go, and reading. Slap my wrist if I catch myself, and if I really keep going for them, go put my work gloves on so it makes it much harder to pick.

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 11/12/2012 10:44 pm

Day 1

Made it 24 hours without scratching, squeezing, or antagonizing anything. Yay! I had to slap myself a couple of times when I realized I was about to start touching them. The sore spot behind my ear that I had antagonized Saturday hasn't bothered me all day. It's nice to see some former spots fading away. The big spot on my neck was flaking, but I managed to leave it alone until my shower a few minutes ago, where the flaky stuff washed off. On to another day.

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 11/13/2012 9:44 am

Day 2

Oh man, today is going to be hard. The spots are not red and inflamed, but they are starting to flake off and they itch. It's going to be a long day. Just call me "slap happy". Aside from the itchy spots, the one on my neck is looking much better, and it's not raised anymore.

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 11/14/2012 10:30 am

Day 3

So pleased with myself. I had a sore spot forming on my cheek. One that I would have been tempted to go at. Despite still being a little sore, it never looked like much. Just treating it with BP gel and it seems to be going away quietly.

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 11/15/2012 9:09 am

Day 4

My face is looking much better. The spot on my neck is going away nicely. I'm starting to wonder if the 10% BP gel I was using was causing more problems than fixing; I was running low and bought Neutrogena's 2.5% gel, which seems to be working much better. I just wish I could use it on the sore one on my scalp, but my hair is in the way.

Seems like such a simple idea; don't pick and they (usually) don't get to be nasty, red spots. Wish I had figured that out 20 years ago. At least I've figured out it's a nervous habit, instead of fidgeting I pick at bumps.

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 11/22/2012 4:29 pm

sounds like your really making progress :)

its always difficult at the start but just got to plough through it.

Its so hard not to squeeze and get rid of pimples but in the long run its best to let them run their course.

keep up the good work buddy

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 4:31 pm

I, too, have a problem with messing with my skin. This is good inspiration!

MemberMember
(@daveoh)

Posted : 11/26/2012 11:05 am

Ugh, major setback last week. I had a huge cyst on my temple, and I went after it. Big mistake. Big mistake number 2, a bump above my ear. I went after that one, making the top of my ear very sore. A little stressed because a play I'm co-directing lost one of our cast members last week, and the only one who is somewhat familiar with his lines, knows his blocking and can replace him is me. We open in less than two weeks, and that's how long I have to memorize his lines. Now that's another reason I have to not pick, I'm going to be on stage. I hope the huge red spot on my temple is gone, although I have stage makeup I can cover it with.

Thanks fadejay for the encouragement. Looks like I'm back to day 1.