Notifications
Clear all

Discrimination Against People With Acne In Jobs!? Please Help 🙂

MemberMember
(@macqwerty)

Posted : 04/06/2012 2:51 am

Hey all!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this! But I will make it short and sweet.

I am currently turning 20.

I have mildish acne and I have been on Accutane a few times. It did not really do to much though :(

I am applying for the police force and I live in Australia.

I have one particular question. Which is¦

"Can I not be accepted because I have acne, even though I have/will pass every other aspect of my medical?"

In other words, can they not allow me to join because of my acne.

I thought if I was not accepted this would be a case of discrimination, is this the case?

A reply would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 04/06/2012 5:42 am

No that would be discrimination. Acne is a skin disorder and will not prevent you from fulfilling the role of a Police Officer. A lot of twenty year olds have acne. Adults have acne. i'm 26 and i'm on accutane for a second course. They cannot stop you from becoming a police officer because of the colour (or unclear complexion) that is your your skin.

Good Luck with your application!

JB

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/06/2012 6:04 am

Hey - another Aussie! :)

This is something that I've been thinking about too lately. I actually posted something along these lines yesterday but I was more concerned with acne affecting my confidence for job interviews and the idea that employers may not hire me for public-facing jobs because someone with acne might not fit their 'image' etc - hopefully you'll see what I mean...

I don't think acne should effect your application to the police force. It wouldn't impact on your medical assessment unless your acne had severely taken it's toll on your emotional/mental health.

It would be a form of discrimination to not be accepted because of your acne. The issue then would be proving that your acne was the reason you weren't accepted.

Hopefully it won't be an issue at all! Good luck with it all :)

MemberMember
(@rjavi10)

Posted : 04/06/2012 10:08 am

Having acne, especially mild acne, should not prevent you from becoming a police officer. Like the above users pointed out, it will in no way set you back in fulfilling your role as a police officer. However, the oral board are humans, and humans have a tendency to be biased. Just like they may tend to hire tall, handsome, and muscular individuals over short, skinny, and not-so-handsome. That being said, what they really are looking for in a person above all else is someone who comes off as confident, well-mannered, and educated. If you perform well in your interviews, I'm sure they will hire you-acne or not.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/06/2012 11:06 am

No that would be discrimination. Acne is a skin disorder and will not prevent you from fulfilling the role of a Police Officer. A lot of twenty year olds have acne. Adults have acne. i'm 26 and i'm on accutane for a second course. They cannot stop you from becoming a police officer because of the colour (or unclear complexion) that is your your skin.

JB

the government doesnt govern very much,they cannot control the natural world and how it works, nor watch everyone all the time. you may have the "right" to work any job you like, but it isnt an open right. manipulation cannot be proven in court, the subtle social cues will tell you if you are welcome or not, you will have to feel it out. if you can prove they are discriminating for the above stated reasons -good luck proving that!!, then try it and win big in court. do you really want to work for people who are manipulating you to leave the job because you are not welcome? probably not, but this is how the real world works, in a free country, there is no laws saying people have to like you and accept you, they are free to dislike you for any reason they want.

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 04/07/2012 7:11 am

JB

the government doesnt govern very much,they cannot control the natural world and how it works, nor watch everyone all the time. you may have the "right" to work any job you like, but it isnt an open right. manipulation cannot be proven in court, the subtle social cues will tell you if you are welcome or not, you will have to feel it out. if you can prove they are discriminating for the above stated reasons -good luck proving that!!, then try it and win big in court. do you really want to work for people who are manipulating you to leave the job because you are not welcome? probably not, but this is how the real world works, in a free country, there is no laws saying people have to like you and accept you, they are free to dislike you for any reason they want.

they aren't going to discriminate against him in a employment screening because of his acne. that is ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/07/2012 10:44 am

JB

they aren't going to discriminate against him in a employment screening because of his acne. that is ridiculous.

sorry. wasnt trying to be negative, but to prepare people for how life can sometimes be, and not how we wish it were or how we want it to be. we can talk about ideals some other time, i wanted to touch on all possibilitys and likelihoods, the good and ideal is also a possibility too. but it truly is a box of chocolate you never really certain what you are going to get. i want to say that sometimes, you get a bad situation, that is all, and thats how bad of a situation it can be, but sometimes it can be good too.

JB

sorry. wasnt trying to be negative, but to prepare people for how life can sometimes be, and not how we wish it were or how we want it to be. we can talk about ideals some other time, i wanted to touch on all possibilitys and likelihoods, the good and ideal is also a possibility too. but it truly is a box of chocolate you never really certain what you are going to get. i want to say that sometimes, you get a bad situation, that is all, and thats how bad of a situation it can be, but sometimes it can be good too, you would be a fool to sit there and say to yourself that life is always good, and nothing that horrible can ever happen to me.

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 04/08/2012 12:44 am

JB

sorry. wasnt trying to be negative, but to prepare people for how life can sometimes be, and not how we wish it were or how we want it to be. we can talk about ideals some other time, i wanted to touch on all possibilitys and likelihoods, the good and ideal is also a possibility too. but it truly is a box of chocolate you never really certain what you are going to get. i want to say that sometimes, you get a bad situation, that is all, and thats how bad of a situation it can be, but sometimes it can be good too.

JB

sorry. wasnt trying to be negative, but to prepare people for how life can sometimes be, and not how we wish it were or how we want it to be. we can talk about ideals some other time, i wanted to touch on all possibilitys and likelihoods, the good and ideal is also a possibility too. but it truly is a box of chocolate you never really certain what you are going to get. i want to say that sometimes, you get a bad situation, that is all, and thats how bad of a situation it can be, but sometimes it can be good too, you would be a fool to sit there and say to yourself that life is always good, and nothing that horrible can ever happen to me.

i think i understand where you coming from, and sure life is full of bad times. However the direct question at hand was whether or not a police induction would discriminate or be less likely to take on a recruit because of acne. That is the same as saying they would be less likely to take someone who had red hair. It has no affect on there career potential whatsoever. The only way acne would prevent someone from getting a job in the police force specifically, is if it made then so self conscious they didn't let their true selves show through in the interview. If the the person showed up and was confident and a strong candidate, the judging panel wouldn't pay two seconds notice to the persons skin.

we are our own worse critics.

MemberMember
(@macqwerty)

Posted : 04/08/2012 4:45 am

Thanks everyone for your replies! I agree whole heartedly!

On my medical from it states "Is the applicant medically and physically able to perform all the duties required?". None of the suites required states "Must have clear skin".

So thinking about it more, they would have no reason to not accept me. The only grounds they would have is that maybe police need to appear clean shaven and presentable, but still then, its not like i choose to have acne.

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/06/2012 10:59 pm

Unfortunately discrimination happens all the time and here in the U.S an employer is not legally obligated to inform you as to why you were not chosen. Fortunately, I whole heartedly agree with the positive slant of what people have said here, particularly for a career in law enforcement. I wish you all the best, and thank you for valiantly choosing to protect citizens, very selfless and brave career choice.

MemberMember
(@ericgaults)

Posted : 11/12/2012 5:47 am

Don't let acne be a hindrance for your goal, in fact it doesn't matter if an applicant has an acne in police force, but if an individual is applying as a model, that is another story.