Notifications
Clear all

Why do I have it when my parents didn't?

MemberMember
(@edwardhopper)

Posted : 09/20/2009 11:01 am

Okay, acne makes no sense. Neither of my parents had it. As far as I am aware, there is no family history of it. My siblings (all older) never had anything more than minor breakouts, a couple pimples here and there. Why do I have it so bad?

I never even had it bad until my sophomore year of high school. All through middle school, when everyone was breaking out, I had no troubles. Then I just got it, and I still have it, and I hate it. Weird thing about my acne is that it's like all just white heads, and all around my mouth. I never got the severe types. But it's pervasive.

I've been on the regimen on and off, but I stuck to it really closely last summer and got virtually 100% clear. Then I went to college. A couple days after I got here, I just stopped doing it because I got tired of making time for it and I didn't want other people to think I was obsessed with my looks (spending so much time in front of the mirror). I also figured, hey maybe my skin will stay clear because I have no family history of acne.

Nope. It's been a few weeks now and I'm breaking out worse than ever. I hate my skin, I hate myself, I hate my society that says I have to be perfect in every way. Now I have to walk around crowds of people every day with all This on my face. Not to mention that I have this huge presentation tomorrow. I want to curl up into a ball and disappear.

Why do I have acne? Why does the regimen have to be 3 steps instead of 1 or 2 easy ones? How am I going to get through this?

MemberMember
(@brandish)

Posted : 09/20/2009 11:07 am

genes are not just past down solely from your parents

i know you said no family history, but i bet grandparents or great grandparents or someone had it

also sometimes we just get screwed over

but really, if you found something that works like you said the regime, you should just do it

im sure you'd rather clear skin and people thinking you're vain, than having tones of pimples

and for those people that think you're vain, just explain your skin problem

MemberMember
(@pinks831yahoo-com)

Posted : 09/20/2009 11:07 am

Acne is NOT genetic..it can happen to anybody, at any age. There are several reasons for acne like Hormonal Changes, indigestion, blood sugar, stress, tension etc..

MemberMember
(@nauticus)

Posted : 09/20/2009 11:41 am

@yahoo.com" data-cite="pinks831@yahoo.com">

Acne is NOT genetic..it can happen to anybody, at any age. There are several reasons for acne like Hormonal Changes, indigestion, blood sugar, stress, tension etc..

It's not necessarily genetic, but it would be idiotic to insist that someone would have severe acne when their whole bloodline has never experienced it before.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 09/20/2009 3:19 pm

Dude, get back on the Regimen. You said you were clear while on it, so it apparently was working well for you.

I know it's frustrating and time consuming, but it's so much better than dealing with the hassle of daily breakouts and the insecurity that comes with them.

Sometimes we never know why we get acne, it just happens. Sometimes there is a familial component, sometimes there isn't. But it can be managed.

MemberMember
(@edwardhopper)

Posted : 09/21/2009 12:38 am

Thanks guys... yeah, I'm going to get back on the regimen now. That was stupid of me to have ever stopped it because now I basically have to start from the beginning. Oh well, live and learn.

MemberMember
(@colleenwilson)

Posted : 07/16/2021 12:32 pm

Ive been breaking out badly on my chin mostly probably from wearing a mask all day long. I am using dermalmd acne serum andI can already feel the coolness of the tea tree within the product. Praying this works as all other reviews claim! So far so good.

MemberMember
(@milkysweet)

Posted : 08/06/2021 8:43 pm

On 7/17/2021 at 1:32 AM, ColleenWilson said:

Ive been breaking out badly on my chin mostly probably from wearing a mask all day long. I am using dermalmd acne serum andI can already feel the coolness of the tea tree within the product. Praying this works as all other reviews claim! So far so good.

Wow, thanks for sharing your experienced that was helpful. Yeah, it's true sometimes maskcan cause skin irritation and can causepimples.

MemberMember
(@tellurium)

Posted : 08/10/2021 1:31 am

I experienced that a long time ago, the mask really makes my face irritates.