Witch Hazel reviews

4.3/5 - 239 reviews

T.N. Dickinson's All Natural Astringent For Face and Body, 16 oz
updated: 11/28/2015 19:45 UTC
Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera Formula Toner, Rose Petal, 12 fl oz
updated: 11/28/2015 19:45 UTC

Reviewed on November 12, 2015

I really like witch hazel.

I mix it in the cleanser I make at home and spritz it on my face and cotton swab .

Clean and refreshing.

It might work for you
Reviewed on September 22, 2015

I have mixed feelings about witch hazel. At first I bought the thayers alcohol free aloe Vera toner and it cleared my mild acne up wonderfully. I kept using it and my skin got super oily (it's already oily enough...) and my breakouts came back worse. So I stopped using it and my skin got less oily and calmed down a bit. I decided to try the dickonsons distilled witch hazel to see if it would work better. It cleared my skin a lot and made my red marks pretty much disappear, but my forehead was still constantly broken out in little pimples. I kept using it for weeks and then I was washing my face in the shower and it felt so...rough... And bumpy. I think it might've been the alcohol. its been a few months since then and I decided to try it again. Same thing happened. I would suggest using this maybe only a few times a week and not religiously like i was. I love the smell of witch hazel and it has great healing properties so just give it a try if you feel like you've done everything. But I have purchased a new thayers

product (alcohol free rose scented) and it's working a lot better.

Used it for a month - it doesn't really do much.
Reviewed on September 15, 2015

Unlike most people who leave reviews after 2 days, I decided to try drug store witch hazel for 3-4 weeks to see if it legitimately makes a difference. The answer is "kind of, but not really".

When you use it, it feels really nice. You get used to the smell, and it does feel refreshing. Its also cheap. However: a) it contains alcohol, which, for acne prone skin, is even more drying/irritating; b) it doesnt actually reduce pimple size much.

How do I know this? Because since I started using WH, I had to deal with about 2 large whiteheads, none of which were "reduced" in size due to WH like many other people claim.

This is not a negative review; rather its meant to tell people that for the love of god, do not take a review at face value when the person has only tried a product for 2 days.

Witchhazel is good as a"refresher" - as a toner, I'd probably recommend something without alcohol that will do the exact same job.

Try it..
Reviewed on July 23, 2015

So I decided to use this product after the lady who did my eyebrows recommended it to me. I guess she saw how bad I was breaking out and told me that it helped with the inflammation. I decided to pick one up at my local drug store and used it that night. I didn't see a big difference the first day but after two or three days my skin got way better. It doesn't totally get rid of all my pimples but it does make it look less gross and less red.

Reviewed on July 17, 2015

this stuff is really amazing. i bought it a few weeks ago and i can already notice a difference in my skin and my scars are slightly diminishing. i use the skin care line by obagi and it came with a toner, but i figured i would try this out instead because the toner provided wasn't doing anything spectacular. not only does this take off the remainder of my makeup after i wash my face, but it leaves my skin feeling nice and soft. the only thing that REALLY bugged me in the beginning was the smell, i don't even know how to describe it, (almost like bacon) but i'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me nearly as much. I've been struggling with acne for about 6 years now and this is one of the only things that has really worked for me, and quickly!!! AND, it's only about $5 from the drugstore! everything about it is wonderful.

Not for acne
Reviewed on July 13, 2015

This product is great at temporarily shrinking pores and adding a glow to skin. However based upon the reviews I tried using this to help with my black heads and it didn't really do anything. At first it seemed they were clearing up but it was just an illusion from the pore shrinking quality of the product. I used for 3-4 weeks and my blackheads continued to get worse with new white heads as well. I wouldn't recommend this product for acne but it's a good toner and will make your skin glow.

Reviewed on June 11, 2015

I am female and 25 years I have absurdly oily skin I'm talking 2-3 hours from now I could take a paper napkin wipe my face and you can see through it kinda oily skin. Needless to say A) I have hated it for most my life and B) it helps my more hormonal based acne flare ups flourish into vicious patches on my jawline and near my ears / neck that make me want to put my face in a paper sack when I go out. I have tried every major brand over the years with minimal improvement ( my doctor finally put me on birth control which helped enormously) recently I've been going through a bad break out patch like I haven't seen since like the 7-8th grade *ugh* however I took a stack of paper towels cut them in half and put them in 2 old grocery store celery Tupperwares I added a cup of distiller water, 1/2 - 3/4ths a thing of dickinsons witch hazel a splash of tea tree oil and let this all absorb. I leave one on my desk for when I am doing hw, gaming, Netflix, etc. the other is in the bathroom every couple hours I reach over open it up grab a towel and wipe my face, neck, cleavage, and shoulders ....basically whatever I can reach. I find this to have helped immensely the redness has gone down and the pimples shrank my skin looks much nicer. Something to be aware of though it is going to bring pimples underneath your skin to head so to speak... so sometimes it look a little bad before it gets better but it will clear it up / make it less bad or at least it did for me and my extremely oily skin. I didn't find it to be overdrying nor the smell to be offensive.

by Sukibear612 on 08/21/2015 22:54
I seem to have the same skin type and problem areas as you do. Screw those oil blotter sheets I could go through a whole pack of those things in a day, so I know what you mean when you say you can take a napkin to your face and have it turn see through. I love the Tupperware idea and definitely have to try it with your homemade concoction. Thanks so much for the tips!
Reviewed on April 29, 2015

Okay so I picked up witch hazel yesterday night and put it on three times before bed. When I woke up my skin was so smooth and clear I cried! I was breaking out on my forehead and it left odd small bumbs, but they had completely vanished, also my skin was super smooth. Yes there were still some red spots in other areas of my face (I have a little bit of acne on my nose and a zit on my chin.) But the redness had gone down very very much. I recommend this to anyone whether it's to smoothen your skin or to clear up acne. Can't wait for long term results.

by name02 on 05/13/2015 16:55
Hi, Thanks for your review. Which brand of witch hazel did u pick? Is it still working for u?
Give it a try!
Reviewed on April 15, 2015

Im 16 years old and I work at a fast food restauraunt and I deal with a lot of grease and messy stuff and I have to wear a hat that constantly rubs against my skin which causes bumbs and a whole lot of acne to appear. At first I was only using St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub (Target $3) for my face every day, it would somewhat help. So I went to Walgreen and I bought some Witch Hazel ( 16 FL. OZ, $6) and only used that but that didnt help either. My skin is bery sensitive so I was kind of afraid to use both at once. Considering my prom is coming up I went for the risk. I completely washed my face with the St. Ives Apricot Facial Scrub let it sit for 2 minutes wsshed that off, I pat dry my face and I put some Witch Hazel on my face just about 3 times. When I woke up my face was pretty clear and obviously had some blemishes here and there but it looked SO much better then before. I totally recommend St Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub with T.N Witch Hazel they both work great together.

Reviewed on March 31, 2015

The cure to my acne is this: Wash my face with baby mild Dr. Bronner's bar soap. Add to a bottle of T.N. Dickinson's witch hazel with 5 drops of tea tree oil (astringent and scar healing), 3 drops of eucalyptus oil (to open pores), 8 drops of lavender oil (to calm redness and promote healing), 3 drops of lemon oil (natural toner) USE QUALITY ESSENTIAL OILS the kind that is sold for scented potpourri is full of harmful chemicals. Sometimes I put argon oil or coconut oil (which has antibacterial properties) on the dry areas as moisturizer but do not use too much. This takes time, sometimes a month to see results because it will purge your skin of the bacteria and toxins beneath the skin and at first it will seem like it's getting worse. If this doesn't work for you then maybe your diet is unbalanced or you need more water. DO NOT use silicic acid, it will not permanently fix your acne problem it could burn your skin and cause your pores to stop producing their own oils and be dependent on it.