Vinegar (as a topical) reviews

4.4/5 - 408 reviews

Made from select sun-ripened grain, diluted with water to a uniform pickling and table strength of 5%(50 grains) acidity.

Mmm yeah, it works a little.
Reviewed on September 11, 2014

It works for tiny pimples but sadly i have big ones so...

Progress finally!
Reviewed on October 23, 2014

I have had mild to moderate skin coloured spots on my forehead plus chin and extremely oily skin since the age of 11 & it has had a negative impact on my confidence ever since. I have tried countless skin care products over the years and nothing had seemed to work - I even resorted to visiting my gp who prescribed me an ointment that manage to control my acne but not reduce or clear it.

I am now 15 years old and my mother has only recently introduced me to the wonders of applying ACV topically to my face in order to reduce my acne and I have never felt more confident and happy with the progress my skin is making. I have been applying it topically to my face for about a month now and although at first my skin did seem to purge & large red cyst like pimples began to appear on my forehead - i had read all the reviews on this site that advised me to stick with it and i'm happy i did because the purging only lasted about a week and from then on its been nothing but slow progress!

My skin is much less oily - whereas my face used to be extremely shiny in the past (I now realise my oily skin was the main reason for my spots). I also have much less spots on my forehead, only tiny skin coloured ones here and there and my chin is still slightly spotty but improving.

For my skin care routine, I wash my face in the morning with Dove moisturising bar soap (because it helps my skin to not dry out as i do not moisturise during the day) I then apply equal parts diluted ACV on my face with a cotton pad. The smell isn't too bad and it dissapears once your face absorbs it so its not a problem for me. I then apply light powder makeup ontop to cover old pimple scars and go about my day. Before I go to bed I wash my face again to get rid of dirt and oils and use clean and clear exfoliating face wash in order to unclog my pores, I then apply diluted ACV all over.

To conclude, I am extremely happy with the progress my face is making and I hope this review does not jinx anything :( All I know is that it has been a refreshing change from buying chemical products that have not had an effect on my face at all all these years. One tip I will give anyone willing to start using the ACV method is that no matter what happens STICK WITH IT, it may seem bad if you ourge at firt but trust me it gets worse before it gets better!

finally found something that works.
Reviewed on October 21, 2014

I had tried everything and no matter what still had bumps on my face and chest. I heard about ACV and been doing it for a month. My acne is almost all the way gone.

My routine:

Wash with African black soap.

Apply ACV on face and chest

Wait to dry then put a mix of powder and cornstarch on

Use tooth paste as a spot treatment for large pimples

Do this every night before bed

I had bad acne it was depressing now I've been getting hit on a lot , and can see my real skin not all those bumps

Best acne treatment I've used in years... maybe ever.
Reviewed on October 20, 2014

2-3 weeks ago I started using Apple Cider Vinegar with the 'mother' for acne treatment (I've been using Bragg's, easily found in the natural food section of my local Kroger for about $6). I was not convinced that this would work, as I've attempted to use vinegar for dandruff in the past and did not get good results. Also, I didn't want to smell like vinegar. I eventually decided to give it a try due to the low cost and science behind it (soap/cleanser makes your skin more alkaline, and vinegar helps to restore it to its natural acidic PH).

Let me tell you, I'm truly glad I gave this a try and have been sticking with it. I am 28 and have suffered with acne of various severity since I was 11. The only thing that has given me skin this clear in the past was Yaz birth control used in conjunction with Proactiv. I went off Yaz about 4 years ago because my insurance did not cover it (also, it seemed be be becoming less effective). Proactiv stopped doing much for my acne around the same time, but whenever I would try to stop it my face would become even worse. I also read about the damaging effects of benzoyl peroxide, in that it can make your skin less able to naturally heal itself. I have suffered from cystic acne, white heads, black heads, backne, and when one would get better the others would seem to get worse.

2-3 weeks ago I began applying a solution of 1/2 filtered or distilled water mixed with 1/2 Bragg's ACV. I apply it 1-2 times a day, especially making sure to do so after washing my face with unscented Dove Soap... sometimes I apply it before I shower, but I always make sure to do so after cleansing so as to restore the acidity to my skin. I will sometimes use a witch hazel based toner (with lavender, rose water, or Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner) after applying the ACV to assist with the healing of developed acne and mask the ACV smell if I'm going out (I have already gotten used to the smell, but sometimes you don't wanna smell like a salad, and the witch hazel really masks it while also being beneficial for existing blemishes).

Additionally, I have been successfully tapering off the Proactiv, having used the repairing treatment cream only a handful of times, mixing it with my moisturizer or as a spot treatment. I do not use the Proactiv toner, and have used the cleanser only twice since starting ACV. I have found the ACV does a decent job of exfoliating without being too harsh. You will likely find that it is drying at first, and you should always follow the toner with a facial moisturizer. I currently use Alba aloe and green tea moisturizer and though I used to feel that it sometimes clogged my pores, since using ACV it hasn't seemed to cause any new blemishes.

Be warned, however, that I did experience a period of about a week where my acne did not appear to be getting better. In my case it didn't necessarily appear to be getting any worse (as my acne has always fluctuated on a near daily basis), but I was experiencing more white heads and under the skin blemishes that I think was part of the healing process. STICK WITH IT! The first week, the smell will annoy you and you might not be seeing results, but if you're looking for more balanced, healthy skin, and if you've tried so many products that you're afraid your skin may never be clear(ish), I highly recommend giving this a try for a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure my skin was so damaged and confused from all the products over the years that even out of puberty it could not heal itself. If you feel the same way, you've got nothing to lose. Also, when it comes to the smell, you can purchase rose water to mix with the ACV instead of regular water. I have been using my witch hazel toners because I had them on hand, but I will likely try a rose water or a rose water/glycerin mixture in the future (glycerin = better moisturizing in the upcoming winter months).

I never write reviews, let alone with such detail so I've been extremely impressed!

Didnt work so well!
Reviewed on October 14, 2014

Vinegar didnt work so well for me..It caused my acne become redder and more breakouts started appearing. I wouldnt recommend it.

Cystic Acne, OMG!!
Reviewed on October 11, 2014

After I read about how ACV can help cystic acne, I went and washed my face. I applied the ACV diluted with water last using a q-tip on 3 cystic pimples. A few minutes later they turned to heads and popped SO easily. No, they didn't pop..they exploded. Literally! It was so disgusting but I was really happy that they were finally gone in less than 5 minutes. I also had one of those under skin pimples for about 3 days. I put ACV on it the 3rd day and it when I woke up the next morning, it turned to a while head.

Mircle Toner
Reviewed on October 7, 2014

I am 37 and last month I went through some sort of hormonal change maybe due to stress but I developed horrible cystic acne and my hair began to fall out. I am not the type that likes to take medicine but I went to the dermatologist because it had gotten to the point I didn't even want to come out side it was ugly and painful. After doing extensive research on the internet I found that ACV could be used as a toner and after reading other health benefits I began just a little over a week ago to take 2tbs a day and I use it at night and in the morning the smell doesn't bother me but I must say I will never stop using this I took myself of the spiro and bc's and this is all I need. This has done wonders for my skin the bigger cyst are almost gone I have a few white heads but they don't last long and I think it's just my skin purging but I am so thankful for this toner who knew. I know in a month my skin will be flawless with the way it has worked in just a week.

by Beeyin on 10/21/2014 04:17
Can you please teach me how to do this toner? 2tbs of AVC mix with how many ML of water?
ACV works wonders
Reviewed on September 25, 2014

I started using Acv less than a week and i am seeing results...clear skin and lightening..i am a very darkiskin woman and i can see the results...smiling again

Amazing!
Reviewed on September 21, 2014

I've had acne since I was 11-12 (I'm 19 now) & I've tried all sorts of over the counter cleansers, astringents etc. I started going to the dermatologist a few years ago & was put on tetracycline tablets & deriva c gel. They controlled my acne a little but I still got some pretty bad breakouts from time to time.

I got taken off the tablets (but I am currently still on deriva c) about a year ago & after a while my acne came back. No matter what I tried, my face always had at least 3-4 stubborn & painful pimples. I tried using lemon juice for a bit & it did help with some scars & controlled some acne but then I couldn't find any real lemons where I live so I went back to just the deriva c.

Anyway, flash forward to months later, I realised I was starting university & didn't want to have to meet new people & have the first thing they thought about me being about my horrible acne. I started looking up different remedies & came across so many positive reviews about apple cider vinegar. I was a bit skeptical at first since everything I'd tried in the past only kind of worked for me & still left me with pimples. I gave it a try thinking I had nothing to lose. I mixed about half water, half acv (I use the Heinz filtered brand) in a bowl & used a cotton ball to rub it on my face. After 5 days, I saw a huge difference in my skin! My acne was going down & my skin was glowing. I decided to up the ante & I started drinking 2-3 tbs diluted in a glass of water twice a day. I've been doing this for almost a month now & I am so impressed with the good results! I currently only have 1 pimple on my face (it was sort of a cyst & took around a week to finally go down) but I consider that a win compared to the 3+ huge red ones I usually had. Also, I have been doing a brown sugar scrub almost every night (I get lazy with it sometimes) but it has helped in making my skin really soft & getting rid of the dry patches I sometimes get from acv.

I still have really bad red marks on my face that I'm trying to get rid of, but I do highly recommend using this as a toner & drinking as a tonic to anyone desperate to get rid of acne. It may not work for all but it's worth trying.

Using apple cider
Reviewed on September 4, 2014

Hi guys.

I've had really bad acne for a few years now. Tried prescriptions from doctors and various over the counter washes and pills with no luck. Being using acv for about 3 weeks now and the results are very good. I've noticed that my break out has lessened and even when I do breakout the pimple is gone in 2 days. My skin has improved greatly. Now I need something for the marks...

by lesslietrese on 11/10/2014 05:01
What brand of ACV do you use? TIA! :)