Vinegar (as a topical) reviews

4.4/5 - 415 reviews

Made from select sun-ripened grain, diluted with water to a uniform pickling and table strength of 5%(50 grains) acidity.

It really does work!
Reviewed on February 18, 2015

I'm a 43 year old woman with moderate acne - white heads, black heads and cystic pimples. I use to control them with proactiv. It worked really well for 8 years then I've decided to go natural for health reasons. As soon as I weaned off Proctiv my skin went crazy! After numerous Internet research I came across ACV (Bragg brand) toner. So I used 50/50 mix with filtered water, religiously morning and night (do not wash off. Leave them on as a toner). As I have an olive skin the strong mix didn't irritate my skin at all. 1st week, It improved the texture of my skin with less oil. I've noticed existing pimples were dying but I would get new pimples in different areas I guess My skin was purging. by end of 2nd week all the acne died off leaving marks. 3rd week scars started to fade.. I would get tiny pimple but it would go away within hours. I'm on my 4th week, I feel so confident with my skin now. I stop worrying about new acne forming every morning. Also ACV toner does get rid off those stubborn black heads. The smell does linger a little. I also drink ACV once a day. 1 tablespoon with a cup of water. Be patient and give it a go.

by 2and2m5 on 02/24/2015 03:57
How do u apply it?
by 2and2m5 on 02/24/2015 04:07
How do u apply it?
by jessiemoo on 02/25/2015 11:35
So in a little container mix 50/50 of ACV/filtered water. Depends if your skin is sensitive. I have an olive complexion so 50/50 mix works well on my skin without redness or irritation. Make sure you mix well before use and wet it on a makeup pad or cotton ball and gently wipe it on your skin. If you have stubborn acne get a cotton bud dampen it with a full strength ACV and dab it on the area.
Is it working?
Reviewed on January 29, 2015

I'm 16 now, and have had acne since I was about 13. It has only gotten worse over the years. I don't know why, but it's always worst in the winter (I live in Norway btw) In the summer I tend to clear up. Especially if I go to the beach a lot.

I've haven't really tried that many different products. First I tried tea tree, but it stopped working. Then I used BP, which worked for a while and then stopped working too. I started to get really into natural skincare so I tried the "caveman regimen" for 2 weeks (during christmas so I didn't go to school and didn't wear makeup). It kinda worked. I didn't get any new zits just a lot of lumps around my chin and dry skin. When I stopped "the caveman regimen" those lumps turned in to acne ( I've never had a lot of acne on my chin or my cheeks but after the caveman regimen I did) Then I tried using saltwater, it didn't make it any worse but it didn't help either..

So I read a lot on ACV and decided to give it a try. I use apply a 50/50 mixture of water and ACV with a cotton pad in the evening (I use jojoba oil as a moisturizer and i wear mineral makeup) I'm two weeks in now and my acne is worse than ever. I guess my skin is purging? . My skin is really soft though and it seems to glow a lot more. Should I keep going? I really want it to work.

by chizzyxiena on 01/31/2015 02:29
I had the same case as you. I'm on more than 2 mos. now of using acv. On the 1st mo. I purged like crazy. I still continued using it. Right now, my cheeks & chin are 96% smooth, only scars left. But my forehead still on the process of healing. I don't know why it takes so long to heal. I'm using 1:4 mixture of acv to distilled water respectively. Don't forget to moisturize.
by Sunniz98 on 01/31/2015 11:08
Thank you for answering:) it's so good to hear that it gets better.
by chizzyxiena on 01/31/2015 13:32
Ur welcome! Maybe a 50/50 mixture is harsh on ur skin. U might want to dilute it a little bit more. I only use it once a day, in the evening, coz I have sensitive skin. Hope it works for you as well. :)
by Sunniz98 on 02/05/2015 09:39
So i tried your method, and my skin is doing so much better. It's not as red as it was and I really feel like my acne is going away:) thanks a lot, again, haha;)
by ceklis on 02/07/2015 21:31
Hey, the reason your acne disappear in summer might be the Vitamin D. If I were you I would search for the connection between Vit D and acne. Maybe you can solve your acne problem by supplementing with Vit D3.
by Ameliox on 02/17/2015 16:28
always worst in the winter --> lack of vitamin D. Try to take vitamin D.
Average
Reviewed on January 28, 2015

Didn't really work for me. Irritating and yet didn't seem to reduce cystic acne significantly. Only for the lightest of cases of acne.

by 2and2m5 on 02/24/2015 03:59
The only thing that really helps is sun bathing.
FINALLY
Reviewed on December 28, 2014

I have finally found something that has worked for my acne scars that would usually go away after many months. Mix APV, water, and some aloe vera gel for a DIY toner and it works wonders on scars. I am also using benzoyl peroxide and adapalene gel after i use this natural toner and Olay moisturizer with an SPF of 15. It started working within 1-3 days. For my active acne, the gel, along with this toner caused drying which was okay because after a few days, my acne started to go away. I am only a week into this routine and my skin has improved more than it had with all the other expensive treatments I had tried for years.

by Brooke36 on 02/09/2015 23:18
Is APV Apple Cider Vinegar?
On the process...
Reviewed on January 10, 2015

I started using White Vinegar (because it's the only available to our house) last Monday as my final battle to acne. I've been an acne warrior since I was 13 and until now that I am 21 years old, I still has them. my case is different because instead of the common red bumpy, with a liquidy content pimple, I have a white, grain-like whiteheads that always bugs me to be pick up causing my face to scar. I've tried many products from the expensive to the cheap one but still no effect. My friend, suggested that I should try the natural approach and that's the time that I explore the wonders of vinegar.

During 6 days of using, regular pimples (red one) appear. It made me nervous that the vinegar treatment is a hoax but my friend says that it's just the start. That the vinegar actually clean the innermost part of my skin until it runs out of dirt. So even though I have a really bad skin as of now, I still try using this. I'll just update you guys on my progress.

by anabelr525 on 01/23/2015 01:36
you should try it with witch hazel
by mlsscue on 01/26/2015 09:40
ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar is better than regular. Bonus you can also use it on your hair as a rinse!
CHEAP + EFFECTIVE
Reviewed on December 29, 2014

At first I was scared to try this but after reading the positive reviews I decided to give it a try. I've been suffering from acne since I was 13. At first I would only get pimples on my forehead but then it spread on my cheeks thanks to poor diet and stress. I started using ACV as a toner for 2 months now and I saw a HUGE difference! My acne started to go away, my post acne scars started to lighten up, and it also made my skin smooth and less oily. I usually get cystic pimples but I barely get it anymore. I only use ACV toner at night and in the morning I use Paula's Choice 2% Liquid Exfoliant. I know most people find ACV gross because of the smell but it's not that bad.

by Sunniz98 on 01/30/2015 07:14
Did you experience any purging?
BE WARY IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN
Reviewed on December 27, 2014

I tried ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) mixed with water for a good two weeks, but my pimples only got redder and bigger and my face was left significantly more irritated than before.

Mmm yeah, it works a little.
Reviewed on September 11, 2014

It works for tiny pimples but sadly i have big ones so...

Progress finally!
Reviewed on October 23, 2014

I have had mild to moderate skin coloured spots on my forehead plus chin and extremely oily skin since the age of 11 & it has had a negative impact on my confidence ever since. I have tried countless skin care products over the years and nothing had seemed to work - I even resorted to visiting my gp who prescribed me an ointment that manage to control my acne but not reduce or clear it.

I am now 15 years old and my mother has only recently introduced me to the wonders of applying ACV topically to my face in order to reduce my acne and I have never felt more confident and happy with the progress my skin is making. I have been applying it topically to my face for about a month now and although at first my skin did seem to purge & large red cyst like pimples began to appear on my forehead - i had read all the reviews on this site that advised me to stick with it and i'm happy i did because the purging only lasted about a week and from then on its been nothing but slow progress!

My skin is much less oily - whereas my face used to be extremely shiny in the past (I now realise my oily skin was the main reason for my spots). I also have much less spots on my forehead, only tiny skin coloured ones here and there and my chin is still slightly spotty but improving.

For my skin care routine, I wash my face in the morning with Dove moisturising bar soap (because it helps my skin to not dry out as i do not moisturise during the day) I then apply equal parts diluted ACV on my face with a cotton pad. The smell isn't too bad and it dissapears once your face absorbs it so its not a problem for me. I then apply light powder makeup ontop to cover old pimple scars and go about my day. Before I go to bed I wash my face again to get rid of dirt and oils and use clean and clear exfoliating face wash in order to unclog my pores, I then apply diluted ACV all over.

To conclude, I am extremely happy with the progress my face is making and I hope this review does not jinx anything :( All I know is that it has been a refreshing change from buying chemical products that have not had an effect on my face at all all these years. One tip I will give anyone willing to start using the ACV method is that no matter what happens STICK WITH IT, it may seem bad if you ourge at firt but trust me it gets worse before it gets better!

finally found something that works.
Reviewed on October 21, 2014

I had tried everything and no matter what still had bumps on my face and chest. I heard about ACV and been doing it for a month. My acne is almost all the way gone.

My routine:

Wash with African black soap.

Apply ACV on face and chest

Wait to dry then put a mix of powder and cornstarch on

Use tooth paste as a spot treatment for large pimples

Do this every night before bed

I had bad acne it was depressing now I've been getting hit on a lot , and can see my real skin not all those bumps

by Smilesgurl on 12/02/2014 00:14
what does the powder and cornstarch mix consist of?
by Smilesgurl on 12/02/2014 00:14
what does the powder and cornstarch mix consist of?