Vinegar (as a topical) reviews

4.4/5 - 412 reviews

Made from select sun-ripened grain, diluted with water to a uniform pickling and table strength of 5%(50 grains) acidity.

On the process...
Reviewed on January 10, 2015

I started using White Vinegar (because it's the only available to our house) last Monday as my final battle to acne. I've been an acne warrior since I was 13 and until now that I am 21 years old, I still has them. my case is different because instead of the common red bumpy, with a liquidy content pimple, I have a white, grain-like whiteheads that always bugs me to be pick up causing my face to scar. I've tried many products from the expensive to the cheap one but still no effect. My friend, suggested that I should try the natural approach and that's the time that I explore the wonders of vinegar.

During 6 days of using, regular pimples (red one) appear. It made me nervous that the vinegar treatment is a hoax but my friend says that it's just the start. That the vinegar actually clean the innermost part of my skin until it runs out of dirt. So even though I have a really bad skin as of now, I still try using this. I'll just update you guys on my progress.

by anabelr525 on 01/23/2015 01:36
you should try it with witch hazel
CHEAP + EFFECTIVE
Reviewed on December 29, 2014

At first I was scared to try this but after reading the positive reviews I decided to give it a try. I've been suffering from acne since I was 13. At first I would only get pimples on my forehead but then it spread on my cheeks thanks to poor diet and stress. I started using ACV as a toner for 2 months now and I saw a HUGE difference! My acne started to go away, my post acne scars started to lighten up, and it also made my skin smooth and less oily. I usually get cystic pimples but I barely get it anymore. I only use ACV toner at night and in the morning I use Paula's Choice 2% Liquid Exfoliant. I know most people find ACV gross because of the smell but it's not that bad.

FINALLY
Reviewed on December 28, 2014

I have finally found something that has worked for my acne scars that would usually go away after many months. Mix APV, water, and some aloe vera gel for a DIY toner and it works wonders on scars. I am also using benzoyl peroxide and adapalene gel after i use this natural toner and Olay moisturizer with an SPF of 15. It started working within 1-3 days. For my active acne, the gel, along with this toner caused drying which was okay because after a few days, my acne started to go away. I am only a week into this routine and my skin has improved more than it had with all the other expensive treatments I had tried for years.

BE WARY IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN
Reviewed on December 27, 2014

I tried ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) mixed with water for a good two weeks, but my pimples only got redder and bigger and my face was left significantly more irritated than before.

Mmm yeah, it works a little.
Reviewed on September 11, 2014

It works for tiny pimples but sadly i have big ones so...

Progress finally!
Reviewed on October 23, 2014

I have had mild to moderate skin coloured spots on my forehead plus chin and extremely oily skin since the age of 11 & it has had a negative impact on my confidence ever since. I have tried countless skin care products over the years and nothing had seemed to work - I even resorted to visiting my gp who prescribed me an ointment that manage to control my acne but not reduce or clear it.

I am now 15 years old and my mother has only recently introduced me to the wonders of applying ACV topically to my face in order to reduce my acne and I have never felt more confident and happy with the progress my skin is making. I have been applying it topically to my face for about a month now and although at first my skin did seem to purge & large red cyst like pimples began to appear on my forehead - i had read all the reviews on this site that advised me to stick with it and i'm happy i did because the purging only lasted about a week and from then on its been nothing but slow progress!

My skin is much less oily - whereas my face used to be extremely shiny in the past (I now realise my oily skin was the main reason for my spots). I also have much less spots on my forehead, only tiny skin coloured ones here and there and my chin is still slightly spotty but improving.

For my skin care routine, I wash my face in the morning with Dove moisturising bar soap (because it helps my skin to not dry out as i do not moisturise during the day) I then apply equal parts diluted ACV on my face with a cotton pad. The smell isn't too bad and it dissapears once your face absorbs it so its not a problem for me. I then apply light powder makeup ontop to cover old pimple scars and go about my day. Before I go to bed I wash my face again to get rid of dirt and oils and use clean and clear exfoliating face wash in order to unclog my pores, I then apply diluted ACV all over.

To conclude, I am extremely happy with the progress my face is making and I hope this review does not jinx anything :( All I know is that it has been a refreshing change from buying chemical products that have not had an effect on my face at all all these years. One tip I will give anyone willing to start using the ACV method is that no matter what happens STICK WITH IT, it may seem bad if you ourge at firt but trust me it gets worse before it gets better!

finally found something that works.
Reviewed on October 21, 2014

I had tried everything and no matter what still had bumps on my face and chest. I heard about ACV and been doing it for a month. My acne is almost all the way gone.

My routine:

Wash with African black soap.

Apply ACV on face and chest

Wait to dry then put a mix of powder and cornstarch on

Use tooth paste as a spot treatment for large pimples

Do this every night before bed

I had bad acne it was depressing now I've been getting hit on a lot , and can see my real skin not all those bumps

by Smilesgurl on 12/02/2014 00:14
what does the powder and cornstarch mix consist of?
by Smilesgurl on 12/02/2014 00:14
what does the powder and cornstarch mix consist of?
Best acne treatment I've used in years... maybe ever.
Reviewed on October 20, 2014

2-3 weeks ago I started using Apple Cider Vinegar with the 'mother' for acne treatment (I've been using Bragg's, easily found in the natural food section of my local Kroger for about $6). I was not convinced that this would work, as I've attempted to use vinegar for dandruff in the past and did not get good results. Also, I didn't want to smell like vinegar. I eventually decided to give it a try due to the low cost and science behind it (soap/cleanser makes your skin more alkaline, and vinegar helps to restore it to its natural acidic PH).

Let me tell you, I'm truly glad I gave this a try and have been sticking with it. I am 28 and have suffered with acne of various severity since I was 11. The only thing that has given me skin this clear in the past was Yaz birth control used in conjunction with Proactiv. I went off Yaz about 4 years ago because my insurance did not cover it (also, it seemed be be becoming less effective). Proactiv stopped doing much for my acne around the same time, but whenever I would try to stop it my face would become even worse. I also read about the damaging effects of benzoyl peroxide, in that it can make your skin less able to naturally heal itself. I have suffered from cystic acne, white heads, black heads, backne, and when one would get better the others would seem to get worse.

2-3 weeks ago I began applying a solution of 1/2 filtered or distilled water mixed with 1/2 Bragg's ACV. I apply it 1-2 times a day, especially making sure to do so after washing my face with unscented Dove Soap... sometimes I apply it before I shower, but I always make sure to do so after cleansing so as to restore the acidity to my skin. I will sometimes use a witch hazel based toner (with lavender, rose water, or Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner) after applying the ACV to assist with the healing of developed acne and mask the ACV smell if I'm going out (I have already gotten used to the smell, but sometimes you don't wanna smell like a salad, and the witch hazel really masks it while also being beneficial for existing blemishes).

Additionally, I have been successfully tapering off the Proactiv, having used the repairing treatment cream only a handful of times, mixing it with my moisturizer or as a spot treatment. I do not use the Proactiv toner, and have used the cleanser only twice since starting ACV. I have found the ACV does a decent job of exfoliating without being too harsh. You will likely find that it is drying at first, and you should always follow the toner with a facial moisturizer. I currently use Alba aloe and green tea moisturizer and though I used to feel that it sometimes clogged my pores, since using ACV it hasn't seemed to cause any new blemishes.

Be warned, however, that I did experience a period of about a week where my acne did not appear to be getting better. In my case it didn't necessarily appear to be getting any worse (as my acne has always fluctuated on a near daily basis), but I was experiencing more white heads and under the skin blemishes that I think was part of the healing process. STICK WITH IT! The first week, the smell will annoy you and you might not be seeing results, but if you're looking for more balanced, healthy skin, and if you've tried so many products that you're afraid your skin may never be clear(ish), I highly recommend giving this a try for a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure my skin was so damaged and confused from all the products over the years that even out of puberty it could not heal itself. If you feel the same way, you've got nothing to lose. Also, when it comes to the smell, you can purchase rose water to mix with the ACV instead of regular water. I have been using my witch hazel toners because I had them on hand, but I will likely try a rose water or a rose water/glycerin mixture in the future (glycerin = better moisturizing in the upcoming winter months).

I never write reviews, let alone with such detail so I've been extremely impressed!

by cameliajulia on 12/16/2014 13:06
What brand of Witch hazel based toner do you use? Thanks!
Didnt work so well!
Reviewed on October 14, 2014

Vinegar didnt work so well for me..It caused my acne become redder and more breakouts started appearing. I wouldnt recommend it.

Cystic Acne, OMG!!
Reviewed on October 11, 2014

After I read about how ACV can help cystic acne, I went and washed my face. I applied the ACV diluted with water last using a q-tip on 3 cystic pimples. A few minutes later they turned to heads and popped SO easily. No, they didn't pop..they exploded. Literally! It was so disgusting but I was really happy that they were finally gone in less than 5 minutes. I also had one of those under skin pimples for about 3 days. I put ACV on it the 3rd day and it when I woke up the next morning, it turned to a while head.