Saw Palmetto reviews

3.9/5 - 25 reviews

Saw results in a few weeks
Reviewed on November 4, 2014

I had a really bad breakout that wouldn't go away for months after I stupidly tried the oil cleansing method. I went to an esthetician who specializes in getting rid of acne. My skin started getting better with the chemical peels she would give me twice a month and using benzoyl peroxide and mandelic acid at home, but I was still not completely clear on my cheeks. She then told me about how saw palmetto can be very effective against acne because it is a DHT inhibitor. I was curious and I did some research on it, and this has been confirmed by several independent studies over the past few decades. I'm still not exactly sure how this happens, but testosterone can be converted to DHT and this can lead to hair loss and acne. Since both of those run in my family, I am taking this for the rest of my life! I take about 900 mg/day. It's been about three weeks and I am completely clear. I just have red marks on my cheeks now.

Good stuff
Reviewed on October 18, 2014

I am a 51 yr old female and have suffered acne since I was 12. It has waxed and waned over the yrs but is now waxing with the onset of menopause. 2 yrs ago I started taking sp along with DIM, and my acne cleared and everything was great. Then this past summer I stopped taking everything and I am experiencing one of the worst breakouts ever. Very resistant to treatment. I think I am going to up my dosage fr 160 to 480 and see if that helps. Also it's necessary to watch your sugar and dairy intake, and get some excercise and keep your stress levels in check.

Great for controlling breakouts when quitting smoking
Reviewed on June 9, 2014

Great to use while giving up smoking to regulate the de-tox effects on the skin. I used this along side agnus castus for a couple of months and it really helped clam down my breakouts.

Excellent for those with PCOS
Reviewed on April 20, 2014

At 25, I have tried everything to clear my acne, which has predominantly been on my chin/jawline. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 11 after irregular periods, weight gain, and bad acne, which was also confirmed by blood tests. I've seen an endocrinologist for years and have been on birth control since my diagnosis (I was on Dianette and then switched to Marvalon 28 when the studies on Dianne came out). Over the past two years, I have been using a variation of Dan's regimen (cleanser, bp, and moisturizer- Cetaphil and Persagel 5). However, although following this same routine, this year my acne has been constant- always 4-5 + pimples, mostly cystic on my chin and jawline. I started researching natural remedies and revisited Acne.org. I read some interesting posts on Saw Palmetto. I know that my acne is hormonal because of the PCOS and remembered that my testosterone was always high while I was off the bcp because my endocrinologist mentioned it during a few visits. I started taking Saw P. once a day on March 23rd (160 mg standardized 85-95% Webber Naturals brand from Walmart). The first time I took it I had a bad headache, so I now take it with food. Within a week, I noticed that I had no new deep pimples, only surface whiteheads, and that my old pimples were drying up. I also noticed that my skin was less oily. After a few wks, I doubled my dosage to two pills a day (320 mg total) because I had a breakout while off bcp during my period. **Note: saw. p is said to reduce the effectiveness of birth control, so if you are sexually active right now, you should use another form of protection**. Now, it is April 20th and my skin is entirely clear. I know it's only been a month, but I plant on continuing with Saw P and I hope that I've beat this acne for good! Definitely give this a try.

Excellent for adult male acne/ oily skin
Reviewed on April 19, 2014

I am an adult male in mid 30s. I have suffered from acne for 25 years and tried everything from laser, antibiotics, retinoids, topicals, red/ blue light, tanning etc.

I have been on 5 courses of roaccutane/ isotretinoin and while this works for adult acne even at low doses (10-15mg /day) oily skin returns for me if I stop using it and the forehead spots and folliculitis follow inevitably.

Saw palmetto has been discussed at length on acne forums as an anti-androgen and supposedly has the ability to reduce testosterone production. This in turn reduces oil and the spots that follow.

I have been using this for approx 11 weeks having come off another medium term low dose course of roaccutane. The oil came back quickly so I tried saw palmetto as a herbal/ supposedly safe alternative to isotretinoin without the side effects.

I am taking 320mg per day x 2 capsules with food. After approx 10 days use the oil production was normalised and no new spots formed.

I purchased the saw palmetto from Healthspan.

I plan to stick with this as a daily routine long term as it is the only solution I have found other than roaccutane and that drug has potentially serious side effects.

For women, spironolactone would achieve a similar result and seems to work but it is not recommended for men.

I do not know what the long term side effects of saw palmetto use are but studies seem to be favourable.

I am writing this to offer help to other male adults with very oily skin / forehead acne who are at a loss with standard therapies. It really is working for me and I had given up hope prior.

It's alright.
Reviewed on February 1, 2014

I started taking this after having an awful breakout after stopping the birth control pill. It's been almost a year that I have been taking saw palmetto and although my face isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, it's still not as great as it was when I was on the pill. Overall, it was ok, but I'm probably going to go back on the birth control pill. It didn't do much for my breast tissue, either. All in all, I had high hopes but I probably wasn't being as realistic as I should have been.

by kc068930 on 12/13/2014 16:21
I would suggest Maca Root. Do some research on it but I had the same problem, and after two-three months of taking it, my acne on the jaw and chin COMPLETELY cleared up. I just wish I knew about it earlier so I didn't have scars.
Definitely worth trying.
Reviewed on January 3, 2014

After completing a regime of isotretinoin, I was assaulted by a sudden outbreak of acne on my face, back, and neck. I became a nervous wreck because I knew a second course was out of the question. After hours of online research, I stumbled upon a forum member mentioning saw palmetto and how it affected hormonal reactions. I was convinced that my acne was hormonal, so I did even more research, mostly focusing on this supplement. To my surprise, it seemed like this extract's effects on testosterone made perfect sense. Enzymes synthesize DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) in the hair follicles, and this is known to increase the activity of the sebaceous glands. If your face is oily and you have a lot of facial hair, your body may be producing too much of this sex hormone. That was the case with me. After a week of supplementing with saw palmetto extract (standardized - 85% fatty acids), I received amazing results. Over the past few months, I have gotten only two small pustules. I still take this supplement and will probably continue to do so for a few more years.

Saw Palmetto Walmart brand
Reviewed on November 28, 2013

I use the 900mg. It's hit or miss with this brand though. Sometimes I feel it works and sometimes not. I noticed taking more than 900mg/day didn't work but just one to two a day did. I have severe acne. the huge big cysts. This prevented them, but the best prevention was staying away from processed foods, sugar, milk, and caffeine...and eating apples with more water.

It works
Reviewed on November 24, 2013

I have never posted on a forum like before but I had such a good experience with saw palmetto that I wanted to share it with other acne sufferers. I've had acne since being a teen and it's continued into my 30's. After coming off the pill (Dianette) I had very oily skin and lots of spots. I'm talking about huge, lumpy cysts with throbbing whiteheads. I decided to try saw palmetto (GNC standardised version) and I've been surprised and delighted with the results. My skin is so much less oily in the past 2 weeks that I've been taking the tablets and I've had almost no new spots. It's a huge relief! If you have hormone-related acne, I definitey recommend giving this a try. But look for a good brand with at least 85% active ingredient.

by smoze on 11/28/2013 06:19
How much did it cost and how much do you take...
amazed
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

So after researching forever on the internet aboutthis supplement, skeptical because it is used for prostate cancer, out of desperation due to all the cystic hormonal acne I had on my chin, I decided to give it a try. I have been using the standardized kind for under a week now, 1 pill at breakfast and one before bed, and almost all my acne is clear. I am actually so amazed my skin feels as soft as a babies bum, and I havent had skin this clear since....before I started puberty. I am 22 years old now. Even people are complimenting me on how nice my skin looks. The only side effects I had on this though are the feeling of extreme hunger even though I eat with the pill. Also slight constipation. I am going to take this for maybe another week, then ween myself off of it. I dont like that there is little research on it so you never know if there might be long term effects. I am really hoping my acne doesnt come back after I do so. But if you are frustrated with your skin and youre a female, I highly reccommend trying this.

by smoze on 11/28/2013 06:19
where did you buy it from and how much mg/day do you take...brand?