Saw Palmetto reviews

3.9/5 - 36 reviews

Saw no difference
Reviewed on October 23, 2016

Oily, hormonal acne skin. I have taken it off and on for about eight months now and daily for two, and I am not sure if it helps my skin. It did not make a difference before I took vitex, but I'll take anything that helps regulate hormones.

Just over a week in...
Reviewed on May 2, 2016

I highly recommend taking saw palmetto and have 3 or more Nettle Teas a day! If you havent heard about Nettle Tea you should research. Its just been over a week and my skin is the best it has been- it could be down to the time of the month and im just going through a 'good phase' however i never am this clear i am sure. If your trying to treat your hormonal acne herbally then i have read many times its best to do 2 methods, which is why i have encourporated nettle tea!

Saw results within days!!!
Reviewed on April 24, 2016

Okay so I never had horrible acne but it wasn't low key either. my skin was just rough and bumpy and I got lots of white heads mostly on my cheeks and forehead and the odd big sore pimple. At that time of the month this would get like 10x worse. I had become so upset with my appearance that I just cried and cried and didn't want to go out anywhere, so my mum did some research and found Saw Palmetto. I thought I'd give it a shot and it was the best decision I've ever made! On just day 2 of taking Saw Palmetto my acne decreased dramatically, it was even that time of the month and my horrible breakout decreased to just 3 or 4 white heads. By day 6 (today) I have only 1 new pimple, my skin is so much smoother only a couple of small bumps on one cheek. I'm not saying everyone is going to have the same results as me or as quickly because I know for some people it took a month or more before they noticed an improvement. It also might depend on how bad your acne is, since mine wasn't major it seemed to work faster. I would definitely recommend this to any women out there who know their acne is hormonal and want to try a cheap, natural method to clearing their skin. I got one with 60 320mg softgels, and I take 1 per night. Feel free to comment any questions and I will be re-updating after 1 month to let you know how it's going for me.

by adelawright on 08/02/2016 12:31
Any update?
Stopped hormonal break out
Reviewed on March 7, 2016

Since I turned 23 I started getting deep inflamed pimples/cysts on my chin. Not always; in waves. Particularly around the time of the month or if I consumed too much cheese which is my favorite food. I am healthy the majority of the time with a good clean diet and lots and lots of water/tea. I got it under control with birth control but recently when I stopped drinking alcohol as much I broke out all over not just my chin but my cheeks. Deep pimples that developed in clusters. One would go away and another would arrive the next day leaving red marks whether or not I popped them. I started taking Saw Palmetto. Started with 3 160 milligrams a day and it's been 5 days and not one new pimple. I'm also taking zinc, and a probiotic multi vitamin. I am only taking 2 160 milligrams a day now. It also elevated my mood and energy levels although it made my heart beat rather quickly late at night if I took it too late. I cleared up the remaining acne with selsun blue aloe. I think it also may have had a fungal relation somehow because it dried all the zits up and helped ease the redness associated but it leaves your skin dry. Once the skin clears up I use selsun blue 2-3 times a week. Once it's all healed I will have to start with a retin a /aha exfoliant sometimes also just to help wit the red marks left behind.

Try it! Especially if you have hormonal acne
Reviewed on January 28, 2016

This stuff is great for preventing hormonal breakouts. It's usually marketed as a supplement for men and prostate health, but women can use it, too. I buy the standardized extract from walmart for around $7 and take 4 softgels a day, which comes out to 640mg a day, which I take all at once, at night. Start at a lower dosage to see how you react.

by kelly8076 on 02/02/2016 15:28
How long did it take for you to see results?
WOW
Reviewed on November 23, 2015

I have had clear skin since I started taking 320mg BID standardized (Vitamin world brand). It is amazing.

by *miko* on 12/19/2015 14:31
How long have you been using it and how severe was your acne before? Glad it works for you!!
First impressions
Reviewed on August 14, 2015

Trying saw palmetto as a fix for long term, cystic acne. I have had this problem since my early teens, I am now in my late 20's. Have tried everything from over the counter stuff to antibiotics and even acutane. Acutane worked temporarily, but given the side effects, I'm not willing to go a second round.

Stumbled one this page and decided to try saw palmetto. Using Webber's Naturals brand, and working my way up to 250mg dosage.

Been taking it for just under a week, and while I am not acne free, I'm noticing that a lot of the deep, cystic pustules have started to shrink considerably, and seem to be coming to a head. This itches like crazy!!! Feel like ripping my face off! But the deep, large acne is painful in and of itself, so the itching is worth it if it nixes the problem. Have not noticed any new cystic pustules forming either.

My one caution is take it slow starting. The pills I bought come at 125 mg, and that was enough to give me a stellar headache the first couple days.

Saw Palmetto and complementary supplements
Reviewed on February 22, 2015

I've battled acne for more than 20 years and until recently, the only treatment that worked for me at least partially was birth control pills, specifically, Yasmine. I could no longer stay on it, and after a few months, acne returned in full force, primarily the hormonal, cystic type around my mouth and chin. I did some research and also had my hormone levels checked. I concluded that my issue is DHT (dihydrotestosterone) conversion and sensitivity at the skin level. (By the way, no doctors have been of much help - mostly dismissing my concerns, writing prescriptions that could not address the root cause, etc. They also would not agree to run a hormone test, so I had to do that on my own.) I made several changes and incorporated supplements into my diet, and here are my findings. I hope this can be helpful, but since everyone is so different, it may take some investigation and experimentation to find out what works for you. There is science behind all of this, related to blood sugar levels, insulin sensitivity, and inhibiting production of DHT. None of this worked immediately. It may take weeks, so prepare for that, to see any positive results. In my case, my patience finally paid off after 6 - 8 weeks and I think I have finally turned the corner on clearing my hormonal acne.

I have restricted dairy from my diet, in particular, I no longer drink milk and have substituted almond milk

I have restricted sugary sweets from my diet

I have restricted certain starchy foods such as potatoes, bread, white rice

Saw Palmetto, this I think is the main performer: I take 320mg of standardized Saw Palmetto each evening. (The standardized part is very important.) It has some side effects, make sure to take it with food as it can upset the digestive system. It also makes me feel sleepy which is why I take it at night. The side effects should diminish over time. This supplement inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT.

Zinc (OptiZinc with Copper) : I take 30mg each evening with food. (OptiZinc is important because it contains a type of zinc that is highly absorbed by the body.) As with Saw Palmetto, it can be hard on the digestive system. Consider splitting a table and taking twice a day if you find it is causing problems to take it all at once). This supplement helps with inflammation, healing, inhibition of DHT, and increases the effectiveness of Saw Palmetto.

Pumpkin Seed Oil : 1000mg each morning. This works synergistically with the Saw Palmetto to inhibit the effects of androgen hormones.

Vitamin A : 10,000 IU each evening

Vitamin D3 : 1000 IU each evening

Topically, i am currently using Clearogen products. This line also addresses the DHT issue.

My skin is no longer breaking out. The oiliness is reduced, but certainly not gone especially in the t-zone area. I think I can live with that.

by sassycass94 on 09/15/2015 04:09
Just curious about your thoughts on Chromium, MACA tablet, milk thistle, omega 3's. Just started taking vitamins (since i believe my problem is internal) I had blood work done today to test my male hormones. Thanks again!
Saw Palmetto and Implanon
Reviewed on February 15, 2015

I had the contraceptive Implanon implanted for about 1.5 years. It worked as a contraceptive, however it sneakily ruined my skin. Slowly I began to get spot after spot until a few months ago I had the worse break out of my life. I have never had more than a tiny blemish before and then found myself with cystic hormonal acne all over my chin, jawline, and forehead. I tried giving up dairy (I already ate primarily whole foods and absolutely no processed junk), exercising, different supplements, every OTC product, dermatologists, and just found myself terribly depressed.

Finally I found out about Saw Palmetto. I knew the Implanon promoted androgen activity, and the night after taking a day's dose of Saw Palmetto I finally woke up without a new cycst. I take 160mg standard extract twice-morning and evening. I had been on Doxy and Saw P blew that right out of the water within a week. I have been taking Saw P for two weeks now and my last active pimple is finally healing. I also got my Implanon removed yesterday so I hope to finally get my clear skin back after healing my scars.

I would recommend trying Saw Palmetto if you suspect your acne is related to your birth control being high in androgen activity. It really gave me back my confidence in my skin :)

The only reason I gave it four stars is because I am only two weeks in, and I suggest using it with other topical products suggested by a Dermatologist. Saw Palmetto, in my opinion, helps on the inside, but you also need to pair it with topical help. I hope this helps someone else, I only wish I had found out about it sooner!

Really stuck on which brand Saw Palmetto to try
Reviewed on February 11, 2015

Hello guys,

Ok I'm totally confused - literally feel like tearing my hair out (sorry for sounding really dramatic). I've been reading up on Saw Palmetto and PCOS acne. How there's a possibility that it can help to treat acne! I've been on antibitics for a good 4 years and now my next step is accutane! Honestly don't want to go down that route ;(.

I was thinking of trying SP and after doing lots of research I found that GNC standardised SP 160mg twice a day seemed to work a lot for most people (so that's a total of 320mg per day). The problem is that in the UK GNC only stock 320mg! So now I'm thinking shall I take 320mg twice a day (so that's 640mg a day) or just take one 320mg a day? Will this decrease the affect. Ekkkk. Just don't know what to do.

Please can someone advice me xx

by emme*li on 02/22/2015 16:19
I think it might be hard on your system to start taking 640mg of standardized saw palmetto without gradually working up to that amount and seeing how your body responds. Sometimes, less is more. I started with 160mg once per day, then twice per day. Finally, 320mg standardized SP in a liquid capsule once per night which has worked very well for me. Have you tried finding standardized SP 160mg on Amazon?
by Nadia2015 on 03/04/2015 08:52
Hi Emme, thank you so much for getting back to me! It's very much appreciated :) That makes sense about what you said about getting your body to get use to SP gradually. I have seen a few standardised 160mg SP on Amazon but unsure on which brand is good?! It seems that certain brands are ineffective compared to other brands. GNC seems very popular but unfortunately in the UK they only stock 360mg SP standardised. What brand do you use if you don't mind me asking? Thanks xx