Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) reviews

3.1/5 - 45 reviews

Not for sensitive skin.
Reviewed on November 14, 2014

I'm actually very surprised by all of the positive reviews. I will just start out by saying that this method is NOT for all skin types. I have very sensitive acne prone skin. I have tried everything on the market and have gone to dermatologists with no luck. I've been on birth control for hormonal irregularities and that has helped tremendously in the past. Now, being a freshman in college and having a highly stressful job, my body is undergoing stress that it has never dealt with before. In reaction to that, my face is breaking out worse than ever so I wanted something natural to help reduce it a little bit. I tried the OCM for about a week. First few days were great. I saw improvement in my skin's appearance and I loved how my skin felt. Fast forward to the fifth day, I woke up and my face was completely inflamed. Little red bumps all over my cheeks, face felt scaley and itched like crazy. I was extremely disappointed, I wanted this method to work.

I will just say this, if you have sensitive skin, I don't recommend this method. I'm not against trying it out, but I will share the warning signs that I saw before my skin became irritated.

Usually when I try something new that works for my skin, I will see an immediate improvement that is consistent. After the third day I saw new blemishes forming and I noticed that my face felt hot. If a product actually works, this will not happen. I should have stopped the method right then and there but I didn't listen to my body and am now paying the price for it. I also noticed that my face was actually becoming very dry.

If you are wanting to try this method, I recommend only doing it every few days, on a small area of your face. Maybe just try it on your chin or one cheek just to see how your skin reacts.

If you are suffering with the same irritation I am, I will share with you what I recommend on doing. What I am doing as of right now is just letting my face heal on it's own. I wash and steam my face with a warm wet washcloth, nothing else. No soap, no oil, just warm water. Afterwards, I moisturize my face. This is working for me so far. After I see that my face has healed back to the way it was before, I will go back to my normal cleansing method. The reason I am not using soap on my face right now is because my skin is already irritated and I am worried that it will make it worse. I do wear makeup, but I've noticed that gently washing my face with a warm washcloth does take it off. Another thing I recommend is a very mild soap called Black Tie soap made by the Black Sheep Soap Company. You can find this soap on [link removed] if you look under Black Sheep Soap Company. It is meant for acne prone skin and it has helped so many people. The soap is made with all natural oils and it has completely cleared my acne in the past when I wasn't so stress prone. It balanced out my skin's oil production but I still used a moisturizer with it. This is the method I will essentially go back to when my face heals. I just wish I would have stuck with it.

Finally
Reviewed on November 8, 2014

I and my girlfriend just know the OCM 2 years ago. We thought it very interesting so we tried.

Location : Bangkok,Thailand. Traffic Jam,heat,smoke many pollution.

Facial skin

Me : oily and dehydrated skin with pimple and pore sometimes.

GF : dry and sensitive skin.

At first we'd try caster oil+extra virgin oilve oil 1:3 blended together and found it too heavy and not match for our skin so we used only extra virgin olive oil.

After used everyday for 3 weeks we feel that our skin was tighten and moisturized ,pimple and pore were easily to remove.

After 2 months my skin was clear and less oily but my gf got a little pimples and pores over her face. We both awed then my gf said "I've used many make up since I were child because I am a singer. So my face absorbed many chemical things, and it had been concealed under my facial skin" "and will you go on with it?" I asked. She said "Sure, I can feel that Oil is pushing some Junk which chemical and make up leave it on my skin away , I feels that my skin is stronger and less sensitive I knows It be detoxified".

A Hard Year is passed away now my girlfriend feels very happy about her facial skin, It's clear no black spot or scars, strong, elastic as she wished.

If you love organic way Oil Cleansing Method is very good for you. It maybe take much time but if you spend your endure enough finally Healthy facial skin will be yours.

If you're doing this for clearer skin don't forget to add the TEA TREE OIL
Reviewed on October 27, 2014

So I found the OCM 3 or so years ago. And until I found the right balance of oils, it didn't work any better than anything else I'd ever tried as far as keeping my skin clear of big bumps goes. I've read a lot of these reviews... and I notice barely a mention of tea tree oil.

Add TEA TREE to your regiment.

My skin: super sensitive. a lot of congestion all the time with some bigger obnoxious pimples popping up. Normally do not wear makeup or sunscreen on my face as both made me break out (or did before the OCM)

My job: Model, so the makeup artists slather that junk on my face and I always broke out after. Nothing worked to get all the makeup off my face, washing my face up to ten times to try to get it off. Leaving traces of makeup = break out. Over washing face = break out. Until the OCM. (And a side note, hair products can and do cause break outs too. If you don't shower that stuff out of your hair at night before bed, then it's getting on your pillow and you sleep on the pillow all night long. So if don't shower at night, change that pillow case every 2-4 days. More if you have extra.)

My regular regiment: Jojoba oil and tea tree oil. I adjust the amount of tea tree as needed. usually I'm at 1/4 tea tree to 3/4 jojoba. But sometimes i up the tea tree if I know i'll be more prone to break outs, like around my menstrual cycle, or extra makeup days etc. In the beginning I did the whole "wash" my face with oil part of the method. After a year I switched to just rinsing my face with warm water, then rubbing the jojoba and tea tree into my face like moisturizer.

Adjusted regiment for makeup/sunscreen: I use straight jojoba, rub in on my face, take a warm washcloth and wipe it off, then repeat this for a total of three times. It gets off all the makeup! THEN take jojoba mixed with tea tree and rub that on my face, wipe it off. Dry my face then rub jojoba and tea tree into my face like it was a moisturizer. Works like a charm and I stopped breaking out after photo shoots.

I never tried grapeseed, mainly because I couldn't find it in the beginning and then jojoba and tea tree seemed to work pretty well so never bothered to change it. But the OCM is a trial and error process. Which oils work for you, and which don't. I did eventually give castor oil and try and found it too heavy for my skin except for when I visited super dry places in winter and even then only a very very small drop of it added to my oil mix bottle. The right mix for MY skin is key.

The ocm didn't magically give me perfect skin, it didn't cure me of breakouts, blackheads, congestion, etc. But it was FAR superior to anything I have ever tried, and I've tried some pricy things. On the OCM I still have some congestion but have less visible acne (less of the big reds, or whites.)

I have since tried using another skin care line as I have to start thinking about winkles and what I've found is this. 10% glycolic acid is great. and I like the line okay, but I've gone back to 90% ocm (or my lazy version of OCM), and 10% other products added in. Because the tea tree helps prevent my skin from breaking out.

DO NOT RECOMMEND. Went from almost clear to completely ruining my skin.
Reviewed on October 24, 2014

I'm writing this as a warning. Please don't do the OCM, I was so close to clearing my hormonal acne and it's now SO MUCH worse, like many of the other reviewers...

I've been suffering from hormonal acne for 3-4 years now and had been trying EVERYTHING. I'd managed to get it to go down a lot in the last year but still had about 3-5 big red bumps on my skin at any given time, on my cheeks, forehead, or jaw, not to mention ALL the scarring. I really wanted to get it completely cleared up and felt I was so close, and I've always liked more natural remedies in anything so after reading so many rave blog posts and articles etc. about OCM I thought it would be great and would help me finally get rid of the acne!! WORST. MISTAKE.

I have combination normal/oily skin and used a combination of castor oil, grapeseed oil, vitamin e oil and jojoba. I tweaked it around at first and changed the proportions to what I thought would better suit my skin, according to all the proportion recommendations. I would steam my face, massage the oil in, steam again, and wipe the oil off, occasionally steaming/massaging oil 2-3 times. I did this mornings and evenings or as I felt was needed.

For about a month my skin was nice and glowy, super soft and supple. I didn't notice my hormonal acne going away but the overall texture of my skin was lovely, so I kept it up. Then, almost like overnight, like over a week maybe, my skin completely exploded. I got teeny little bumps ALL OVER my face like I've never had before...cheeks, jaw, around the mouth, forehead, EVERYWHERE. They're not blackheads, they're closed little bumps, you can't even really pop them but they just make the overall texture of my skin look AWFUL. I've been struggling with this now for about 6 months...never any change, the same awful bumpy texture IN ADDITION to the occasional whitehead or hormonal acne bump that pops up. It's horrible. From far away you can't tell so much bc the bumps are so tiny but up close my skin just looks like gravel. Putting makeup on makes it look worse bc the bumps are exaggerated. If I could go back in time and swat that oil out of my hands I would...I went from being SO CLOSE to being clear, to completely, 100% ruining my skin. Worst thing I have ever done. Still trying to fix it...please please don't even try this, apparently it works for some but it's not worth the risk!!

by cw14 on 10/29/2014 18:08
Try rinsing your face with a mixture of sea salt and water. I have body acne only, none on the face due to using sea salt and water only on my face. It worked wonders on my face but didnt work as strongly on my body. Ive been trying OCM on my body, but may go back to using just sea salt & water. Hope your skins clear soon
Depends on the oil
Reviewed on September 20, 2014

I tried this with three different types of oils. The one thay worked for my skin was grapeseed oil.

The ones that did not work were Olive and Coconut.

But the oil that works depends on your skintype

Works for me
Reviewed on August 28, 2014

I've had mild to moderate acne since I was twelve years old and for the duration of this time I have been using solely Proactiv and other similar products containing strong agents such as benzyl peroxide, glycolic acid and so on. While these products did work quite well, eventually my skin began to change and I found that these products were causing quite a bit of damage. My skin is no longer as oily as it once was when I was much younger (I'm 25 now). Instead, it's combination with many areas being quite dry.

Recently, I began noticing that my cheeks and jaw line were completely covered in closed comedones. You can't really see them in artificial lighting but in natural light and with the addition of makeup, my skin looked extremely terrible. It looked bumpy and uneven. Nothing really worked to clean this up until I found the OCM.

I was extremely hesitant to try this because I've used face oils in the past and they've always broken me out. That being said, I've also struggled with my skin for quite some time now and it's gotten to the point where I will simply try anything. I use a combination of castor oil and grape seed oil (which is known to be okay for acne prone skin). This has greatly improved the overall complexion of my skin not to mention it has greatly reduced the closed comedones. I think the important part is to know your skin. I DO NOT simply wipe away the oil when I'm finished and leave it at that. I always follow the OCM with a gentle cleanser, ensuring that there is no oil left on my face. I then follow this with my regular moisturizer and spot treatments if needed. Overall, my skin is much smoother and it's no longer as dry. I realized that my closed comedones were likely caused by extremely dry skin which can lead to congested pores.

I still continue to experience hormonal acne on my chin although the breakouts I was having on my cheeks (where the congestion was mainly prevalent) has greatly decreased. I've also noticed that my acne scars are fading quite rapidly. Not sure if this is related to the OCM or not.

worked at first, but made things waaaay worse in the long run
Reviewed on June 16, 2014

I tried the OCM on half of my face, and at first it got a bunch of oil plugs out of my pores. But it also got tons of oil into my pores! About a month in I started breaking out, and now six months later the OCM side of my face is still lousy with zits, while the other side is relatively zit-free. UGH! DO NOT RECOMMEND.

by Mace319 on 10/19/2014 13:29
This method is only meant for short term use. Whatever worked at the beginning would need to be altered; because as your skin is getting better, different oil soultions may be needed instead.
Great for clearing acne, but not for fully preventing.
Reviewed on May 25, 2014

I started OCM a couple of months ago (I'd say about 2 or 3 months), and it's been quite good.

I have a combination of oily, sensitive and acne-prone skin which also gets dry and flakes under my chin and sometimes above my eyebrows/near the side burn area/eyelids. I also have a lot of blemishes, acne scars and deep blackheads, along with severe acne on my cheeks and jaw line.... Tough luck really. These issues mean that I usually wear a thick layer of foundation/powder/concealer, to try hide these flaws on a daily basis.

Anyway, I decided I would try the OCM, as I have been looking for an affordable method of cleansing my face - also a method that wouldn't break it out because of its sensitivity. I did a little research, and brought my gear: Castor oil and Grapeseed oil.

I started off using 1/3 castor and 2/3 grapeseed oil. I would rub this onto my skin for about 2-3 minutes before a shower, then I would rinse my face off with hot water (as hot as I can stand) and then rinse again, but with colder water (to close pores). I would then just dry my face as normal. I did this once a day.

At first, this method felt AMAZING on my skin, and it cleared a couple of my major spots within the first couple of days. I was surprised that rubbing oil onto my skin would ACTUALLY help, ha.

Unfortunately, the glory of the OCM didn't really last long, when I noticed that although my spots were clearing faster, and my skin felt better, new spots were still forming day after day - particularly 'white heads'.

I was also using a moisturiser with hyaluronic acid, and I thought perhaps if I stopped using this moisturiser my skin wouldn't form more spots. I guess I was right, and my spots stopped forming as much.

I've stuck by it, and today I actually use 2/3 castor and 1/3 grapeseed - with little or no moisturiser. I try to wear less makeup now, and I use the OCM twice a day instead of once. I have noticed that most of my major spot issues have gone, but my skin still breaks out - but it's more 'controlled'.

I'm actually thinking of changing up my routine, and adding some rose hip oil, and maybe a drop of tea tree, as I've heard these can also help.

To conclude; OCM is great for getting rid of severe acne, but not great at preventing them. Although acne does seem more controlled, and less 'angry'.

To anybody currently using the OCM but not having much luck - keep at it, and attempt to change up ratios or use different oils.

Good luck.

Everyone should TRY it
Reviewed on May 5, 2014

Not for me... But changed my thoughts on skincare.

I started w EVOO & cold pressed castor oil from the health food store. Took before & after pics that I'm embarrassed to show- but it completely healed my acne in 3 days!!! Then, I found the jojoba oil I was searching for & replaced the EVOO w that. Broke out the next day. Tried coconut oil, grape seed,hemp seed oil which has 0 rating for clogging pores & it clogged my pores!!! My skin must b backwards bc this is typical it seems. Anyways, the olive oil cleans skin so well, & makes it soft & supple... but skin gets congested & just doesn't look clean up super close. Sooo.

Now I use the oil at nite, similar to a makeup remover. Massage face, then shower & at end I was w my bar soap (cetaphil).

I find the oil as a moisturizer breaks me out, so I only use under eyes & as a pre wash.. Good way to test it out also.

Worst idea I've made for my face.
Reviewed on April 5, 2014

I was trying to go on the natural route for skin care so I decided to try the oil cleansing method. The first 4 times that I used it, 1/3 castor oil and 2/3 EVOO, they made my skin GREAT! Blackheads were gone and my skin felt smooth and soft. After that, for some reason I was getting random white heads that I never had in my life. I usually only break out occasionally on my cheeks and my forehead. But NEVER on my cheeks. I got so many white heads on my cheeks so I stopped using the OCM. Even though I stopped, my face constantly got worst. Now my entire FACE is filled with acne. This all happened under a week. If I could I would have never done this to my face if I had known. I just ordered the regimen from this site so I hope that will do the trick. But right now, I am suffering with SEVERE and painful acne. Acne that I have never had in my life.