Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) reviews

3.2/5 - 39 reviews

worked at first, but made things waaaay worse in the long run
Reviewed on June 16, 2014

I tried the OCM on half of my face, and at first it got a bunch of oil plugs out of my pores. But it also got tons of oil into my pores! About a month in I started breaking out, and now six months later the OCM side of my face is still lousy with zits, while the other side is relatively zit-free. UGH! DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Great for clearing acne, but not for fully preventing.
Reviewed on May 25, 2014

I started OCM a couple of months ago (I'd say about 2 or 3 months), and it's been quite good.

I have a combination of oily, sensitive and acne-prone skin which also gets dry and flakes under my chin and sometimes above my eyebrows/near the side burn area/eyelids. I also have a lot of blemishes, acne scars and deep blackheads, along with severe acne on my cheeks and jaw line.... Tough luck really. These issues mean that I usually wear a thick layer of foundation/powder/concealer, to try hide these flaws on a daily basis.

Anyway, I decided I would try the OCM, as I have been looking for an affordable method of cleansing my face - also a method that wouldn't break it out because of its sensitivity. I did a little research, and brought my gear: Castor oil and Grapeseed oil.

I started off using 1/3 castor and 2/3 grapeseed oil. I would rub this onto my skin for about 2-3 minutes before a shower, then I would rinse my face off with hot water (as hot as I can stand) and then rinse again, but with colder water (to close pores). I would then just dry my face as normal. I did this once a day.

At first, this method felt AMAZING on my skin, and it cleared a couple of my major spots within the first couple of days. I was surprised that rubbing oil onto my skin would ACTUALLY help, ha.

Unfortunately, the glory of the OCM didn't really last long, when I noticed that although my spots were clearing faster, and my skin felt better, new spots were still forming day after day - particularly 'white heads'.

I was also using a moisturiser with hyaluronic acid, and I thought perhaps if I stopped using this moisturiser my skin wouldn't form more spots. I guess I was right, and my spots stopped forming as much.

I've stuck by it, and today I actually use 2/3 castor and 1/3 grapeseed - with little or no moisturiser. I try to wear less makeup now, and I use the OCM twice a day instead of once. I have noticed that most of my major spot issues have gone, but my skin still breaks out - but it's more 'controlled'.

I'm actually thinking of changing up my routine, and adding some rose hip oil, and maybe a drop of tea tree, as I've heard these can also help.

To conclude; OCM is great for getting rid of severe acne, but not great at preventing them. Although acne does seem more controlled, and less 'angry'.

To anybody currently using the OCM but not having much luck - keep at it, and attempt to change up ratios or use different oils.

Good luck.

Everyone should TRY it
Reviewed on May 5, 2014

Not for me... But changed my thoughts on skincare.

I started w EVOO & cold pressed castor oil from the health food store. Took before & after pics that I'm embarrassed to show- but it completely healed my acne in 3 days!!! Then, I found the jojoba oil I was searching for & replaced the EVOO w that. Broke out the next day. Tried coconut oil, grape seed,hemp seed oil which has 0 rating for clogging pores & it clogged my pores!!! My skin must b backwards bc this is typical it seems. Anyways, the olive oil cleans skin so well, & makes it soft & supple... but skin gets congested & just doesn't look clean up super close. Sooo.

Now I use the oil at nite, similar to a makeup remover. Massage face, then shower & at end I was w my bar soap (cetaphil).

I find the oil as a moisturizer breaks me out, so I only use under eyes & as a pre wash.. Good way to test it out also.

Worst idea I've made for my face.
Reviewed on April 5, 2014

I was trying to go on the natural route for skin care so I decided to try the oil cleansing method. The first 4 times that I used it, 1/3 castor oil and 2/3 EVOO, they made my skin GREAT! Blackheads were gone and my skin felt smooth and soft. After that, for some reason I was getting random white heads that I never had in my life. I usually only break out occasionally on my cheeks and my forehead. But NEVER on my cheeks. I got so many white heads on my cheeks so I stopped using the OCM. Even though I stopped, my face constantly got worst. Now my entire FACE is filled with acne. This all happened under a week. If I could I would have never done this to my face if I had known. I just ordered the regimen from this site so I hope that will do the trick. But right now, I am suffering with SEVERE and painful acne. Acne that I have never had in my life.

LOVE it, but Caution.
Reviewed on March 24, 2014

Depending on the oil, it may both clean and clog pores. Read all the reviews. I find coconut, jojoba, and olive oil to work short term and cause me cyst-like spots.

I use this on my face and body. I'm a guy. 30 years old. I never had scarring, and the doctors never would allow me to use accutane. Even though my skin has never been clear since turning 10, my skin heals too nicely to get treated properly... great...

I typically have 5-20 red spots anywhere on my entire body, with 1-2 always on my face. So while not horrible, they are dime size and last for days.

All the oils work on my face. They "pulled" out the blackheads and allowed my acne to surface and drain "nicely". With a gentle pull on the skin, my spots on my face cleared with no redness in 1 day. Yes, 1 day. I got many tiny tiny white heads during the first few days, and they all were easy to gently clean away. I looked like I had the skin I had when I was 9 years old.

My body is different. The oils "pull" the top of the skin, and clean it well, but not the deeper tissue. So my deeper dormant acne on my body cleared up quickly, and slowly surfaced over a few days, leaving my face clear but my body with many dime sized spots. Very red, very raised, with the "top" clear and the deep portion "plugged".

I cleaned those by switching to pure castor oil. I love it pure, but it is so thick it is hard to use on the entire body. I've only been doing this for 5-6 weeks, so I don't know what oil I may add to my castor oil to "cut" it and help it spread easier. Castor oil is thick and absorbs fast.

I add tea tree oil always. I love it. It makes me slightly itchy, but it helps "pull" out the gunk in my skin and leave my skin "drier" without over-drying. Pure castor leaves me too moist lol. I like a light glow as a guy, and pure castor leaves me looking like I care for my skin too much (gives my pores a "too smooth" appearance and I feel girly cute, not manly lol). The tea tree allows my skin to look more like... my skin. Hard to explain.

I will try sun flower or flax oil next, depending on cost. The castor oil is cheap, at around $10 for a month. My other $10 is from buying other oils to throw in (or ones I've already had).

I wish I learned of this years ago, cause I would have found my ratio by now. This cleared all my blackheads and my KP on my arms and legs.

In full disclosure, I've been on Omega-3 (with no Omega-6, as they like to attach it to Omega-3), Vit A, and Vit D, supplements for over a year. They helped but never fully cleared my skin, until I added the castor oil as a skin cleanser.

by mshaiq on 05/28/2014 17:31
Wait do you do OCM on the rest of your body as well or just use castor oil as a moisturiser? I have KP too
Glad I quit while I'm ahead
Reviewed on February 19, 2014

I bought 16 oz of Castor oil on eBay. I had read you can use 100% castor oil as long as it doesn't make your skin too dry. I used it by first washing my hands, then rubbing about a quarter size amount into my skin. I would get in the shower and rub it around with the steam, then wipe it off with a towel. I would rinse my face with cold water to close my pores after getting out of the shower. I only washed once a day to get the makeup off my face.

I have used this method for 2 or 3 weeks and I'm stopping now after reading reviews about users' skin being worse than ever before. I was already beginning to feel that way. After the 1st use, I got a cluster of small zits on my chest. Then, I got 4 or 5 zits on my forehead, then several around my hairline, then more on my jawline and in the middle of my cheeks. I never get that many zits, so I decided to look at reviews of this method. It is possible this method would have worked for me if I had chosen a different oil, or had combined oil, or used a different routine, but I am too scared to adjust at this time. I don't want my skin to get even worse. I just want the acne I have gotten from this method to heal.

I stopped last night and washed my face with Dr. Woods Organic Black Soap, then toned with Witch Hazel. I think I'll try that for a while now and see how that goes.

I think I will keep using the Castor oil on just my nose since it is so good at getting rid of blackheads. All of the blackheads on my nose were gone after one use.

Great- Until about 1.5 months of use
Reviewed on February 3, 2014

I have combo skin, but from the reviews I've been reading I deduced that I perhaps have very dry skin that has just been overcompensating on my T zone. So I thought OCM would be a great natural method to get my skin sebum cycle back to normal. I've had mild-moderate acne for about 7 years now, and I've tried everything. After nothing had worked for my skin (from drug store products, to expensive dermalogica products to chemical peels) I figured in the end natural is the only way to go- no chemicals which probably WONT irritate my skin. I started OCM end of Nov-early December and noticed fantastic results right away. My skin was the clearest its been in a long time. Here's the funny part though… my skin is SO dry that I actually had to omit the castor oil, so I was massaging my face with organic sunflower oil (rates 0/5 for potential to clog pores) and that was it. Followed all the procedures except I would omit the facial cloth steaming on shower nights. Mornings I just placed a hot cloth over my face a few times. Because I am so dry, I had to apply a tiny bit of organic sunflower oil to my face the odd mornings (only when needed though!). Anyways, my skin looked fantastic, I was bragging about the results of OCM to people. By the end of December, early January, my skin started to breakout on the side of my face (from temple down to middle of cheek). I had NEVER broken out in this area before, its always been forehead and around mouth, jaw. I thought it was purging so I kept going with it but now its beginning of February and I'm stopping the OCM. I have so many more blackheads then I have ever had before. I don't know if maybe I'm doing something wrong, or if this just doesn't work for my skin, but be wary with OCM. It went from great, to possibly as bad or worse then it was before i started.

Oh, what the hell?!
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

So. Here goes...

I'm 25 years old, and I've had moderate to sever acne since I was about 11.

I went to dermatologists, used Pro-activ, benzoyl peroxide products, etc. At first the benzoyl peroxide products worked, until I built up a tolerance to them after years of use. Same for the prescription drugs from my doctors. So, for the last few years I've been a little "hosed", but continued to use the benzoyl peroxide washes and creams. Just because I knew nothing else.

My skin got worse. My skin became more irritated. I became older and more angry. I also began working at a natural grocery store with wonderful people and products and was told about the "oil cleansing method". So, I said, "oh, what the hell?!"

I threw out all of my crap washes and creams and purchased:

Grapeseed oil, tamanu oil, tea tree oil, raw honey and a crap load (yep) of vitamins.

Now, while my skin is NOT 100% miraculously cured, it is no longer angry. It feels like skin. It isn't irritated or raw, or flaky AND oily at the same time. I have no more cysts, and my tiny "funny bumps" as I call them are minimal.

I cleanse at night only with majority grapeseed oil mixed with a few drops of tamanu oil and tea tree oil. I massage it into my dry skin for about 2-3 minutes then wipe/rinse with a hot wash clean (a new, clean one each night). Then I follow with a brief RAW honey wash. A gentle 30-60 second wash just to ensure that the oil has been completely removed (it also puts some other good oils in there).

Sometimes I'll use a TINY bit of tamanu and tea tree oil as an overnight spot treatment.

In the morning I rinse my face in the shower and spray on some rose water.

Because my acne is primarily due to imbalanced hormones (I'm also a vegetarian...which seems like it would help with the hormone issue due to all of the GMO crap in meat) I've also started taking:

Evening Primrose Oil - 3 a day at 1,300 mg each. Fish Oil - 2 a day at 1,000 mg each. Zinc - 1 at 50 mg. A women's multi vitamin and a probiotic. Vitamins are extremely important if you have hormonal acne. And again...why not? Just do it.

I've been doing this for a little under a month, and while I haven't been "cured" it's a whole hell of a lot better than it was, and I can actually feel myself begin to regulate a bit. So who knows how it will be in six months?

I'm shocked that it took me until now to hear about and try. I'm glad I started working where I do with the people I do.

Oh
Reviewed on December 6, 2013

I was skeptical, but also desperate after 12 years of acne covering my body. But to be honest at this stage in my life, the pimples I found most troublesome were the stubborn, ever-present ones right on my breasts. (Does not promote intimate feelings turns out)

Nothing improved it or really effected it in any way actually, but the thing I settled on longest was oil free cleanser plus oil free moisturizer and the occasional bp mask.

Then 6 months ago I lost my mind a little and threw out all of my personal hygiene products and replaced them with things from the kitchen.

And I feel like the world's biggest chump.

I took accutane, antibiotics, birth control -all as a vulnerable teen and the thing that finally makes me resemble an adult is in covering my face and chest in frickin olive oil. I didnt even have to try different oils or adjust the proportions. 1/3 castor oil. Please use hot water. Everyone says not to exfoliate but I do every day with a washcloth after and this part is key.

So what ive learned is be kind to your skin (lame, why yes it is) and don't be afraid of oil be afraid of everything that isnt in your kitchen. Unless there happens to be a dermatologist in there then be afraid of that too.

*sigh*

(Seriously my BOOBS do you know what that does to a person)

by kdeger on 12/10/2013 04:21
I love your humor in this post!
Ruined my skin
Reviewed on December 5, 2013

Before starting this, I had 1 zit. I was just trying to get rid of my blackheads. 1 month in, I started getting a few pimples on my cheeks, very unusual for me. Then, my whole face erupted in acne. I stopped using the oil cleansing method because the steaming was further irritating my raw acne and I figured this had to be the only thing that could have caused it. I didn't change anything else to my routine. I have been trying to clear my face for two months now. I have severe acne and I never had acne this bad even as a teenager. I had used olive oil, castor and tea tree oil. My pimples pop by themselves and I have cystic acne (never had before this). I have to put gauze on my face at night to keep pimples from popping on my pillows. I have spent over a hundred dollars already on products trying to correct it and my face isn't responding to anything, not even pills.

by kdeger on 12/10/2013 04:23
I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor to get something like Differen, and get on acne.org's regimen asap!
by smiles23 on 03/31/2014 19:37
Ruined my skin as well! After one month it was great, and then my skin spiralled downward
by smiles23 on 03/31/2014 19:38
whoops * then my skin spiralled downwards and I developed so many blackheads on the sides of my cheeks that I have never had before. Terrible