Calamine Lotion reviews

4.5/5 - 173 reviews

Calamine is either a mixture of zinc oxide (ZnO) with about 0.5% ferric oxide (Fe2O3) or a zinc carbonate compound.

Caladryl Lotion, Calamine Plus Itch Reliever, 6-Ounce Bottle
Walgreens Calahist Medicated Calamine Lotion, 6 oz
Swan Calamine Lotion - (2) 6 Oz. Bottles

Give it a try!
Reviewed on September 15, 2014

In my opinion, I think Calamine Lotion works for acne! For me I apply it in a mask once a day (when I have time), and leave it until I am ready to go to sleep and wash it off then-can be anywhere from 30 minutes to over 3 hours. I don't think it cures the acne but it stops it from getting any bigger, and reduces redness and irritation. When my skin is really dry but I want to use this product, I mix the Calamine lotion with Vitamin E oil or Polysporin Cream and apply that ONLY on the dry areas and regular Calamine lotion everywhere else. How much oil or Polysporin you add depends on what consistency you want, just add until you get the mixture that feels right for you. I usually try to add 2/3 Calamine to 1/3 Vitamin E oil or Polysporin. It leaves my skin smooth and soft, and pores are smaller.

Some other general tips I have picked up over the years for what works for me:

1. Moisturizer in both the morning and evening. I use Jamieson Provitamin Vitamin A Night Cream, and during the day same brand but the Vitamin E day cream. After I apply the moisturizer I put on my day and night acne cream over the moisturizer. This reduces the oiliness and helps prevent acne.

2. NEVER EVER PICK AT ANY TYPE OF ACNE!!!!!!!! I used to pop and try to drain all my pimples but it only makes it worse. If you leave it and just apply creams, it will be way better. I have made this mistake countless times by convincing myself it will be better after I pop it, BUT IT NEVER MAKES IT BETTER!!!!!!

3. Try not to spot treat with acne creams because they can irritate the skin. Just apply a thick layer.

Masks but doesn't treat
Reviewed on August 12, 2014

Since I was the only person in my family with acne from a young age, I would get into the medicine cabinet a try to fix myself. Making my face pink instead of seeing blotches made me feel better at 10, but when I told my pediatrician, he laughed at me. It kept me from touching my face with my hands, but it didn't allow my skin to breathe, he said, it was merely masking the redness, and that I should stop.

Calamine Lotion
Reviewed on July 10, 2014

This Stuff Is Amazing! I Have Acne, Not To Bad, But Very Red And Irritated. This Stuff Really Helps To Take Down The Redness And Irritation! Love This Stuff! I Recommend Trying It!

Tried this but unwanted side effect
Reviewed on June 15, 2014

So after reading all great reviews on here I finally decided to give calamine lotion a try so i went bought a bottle of calamine lotion I used i just i was told too by applying it and leaving it for 30 minutes then washing off twice a day. I have been doing this for two days an waiting for results however in the mean time i have noticed that my tan skin is looking very white. I was out with my friends and one person asked if i was wearing sunscreen because I looked like a ghost. Why is this happening !!?!? Is it that my skin is very dry if so what should i use to moistureize that will not cause acne. Pleasr hrlp as I still want to use this product yo treat my acne. And also how to get my complexion normal again!

by skittles6 on 06/16/2014 05:59
Calamine is a drying lotion. That's what its for, use a Qtip to apply more exact. When swelling and/or redness is gone, def use a moisturizer. I prefer Ahava, but Olive oil may help.
by Insight on 08/31/2014 15:53
Just re-tan outside in the sun.
Incredibly Effective
Reviewed on June 13, 2014

I’ve been pretty lucky with my skin, but lately I’ve waged an epic battle with what seems to be a combo of rosacea, acne, and maybe some sort of rash. I have fair oily skin. While I hated the oil in my teens, it has served me well as I get older. In my late twenties my derm told me I had rosacea. That explained why the red spots showing up on my face didn’t respond to typical acne treatment. I got it under control and had years of nice skin. I remember getting a facial in my mid 30s and the aesthetician kept remarking about how great my skin was. Recently I was mildly bothered by some flushing and comedones, but not enough to do anything about it. Then I went back to my derm to treat a different issue (stubborn deep pimple that wouldn’t go away). She noted that my rosacea was flaring. She gave me scripts for Veltin gel, Finacea, Avace wash and an antibiotic. Due to the expense, I only had the Veltin and antibiotic scripts filled. I really wish the derm would have told me to ease into the Veltin. While on the antibiotic for 30 days my skin looked great. When I went off and was applying a thin layer of the Veltin gel twice daily, my skin freaked out. I was uncharacteristically patient and dealt with the horrible break out for several months thinking this was the purge period from the Retin A. Every night I told myself that tomorrow would be the day that my skin turned the corner…it never was. Eventually, I abandoned the Veltin and expected my skin would recover back to where it had been before that unfortunate visit to the doctor. It didn’t. It was fiery red and produced little white heads at an alarming rate. After surfing the web frantically, I tried many things. I took Apple Cider Vinegar tablets and applied a 50/50 ACV/water toner throughout the day. It didn’t seem to do much, but I may try it again once my skin is fully recovered. I tried Prosacea, same deal as the ACV…I may try it again when I’m in maintenance mode. I washed my face with pine tar soap. I only tried these things for a short time. My skin was so upset that when I didn’t see progress quickly, it was on to the next thing. Three days ago I woke up and was supposed to volunteer at an outside yoga event. I was looking forward to it, but eventually I decided that the heat was going to be very uncomfortable and itchy for my skin. This was the first light bulb that suggested to me that I might be dealing with something like heat rash. It reminded me of the miserable time as a child when I had poison ivy all over my face. This memory sent me to my medicine cabinet. What did I have that might soothe my skin? I had numerous tubes of hydrocortisone itch creams, antibiotic gels, etc…and a very old almost empty bottle of Caladryl Clear…hmm: Poison Ivy and Caladryl. Now I know I don’t have poison Ivy, but it sort of feels like it and my mother used to slather me with that pink calamine lotion when I had poison ivy; maybe it would feel good now. I tried it and it was ok. Not quite what I was hoping for but it didn’t make it worse. I felt that familiar tightening and drying effect. I decided to go to the drugstore and pick up a bottle that wasn’t 14 years old. I also got Ceravae wash and Jason’s 84% Aloe Vera Cream. My skin started to feel soothed. Last night I noticed it was a soft pink rather than bright red. This morning there were just a few white heads and a definite decrease in inflammation. My s/o remarked about how much better it was looking. So here is what seems to be working for me: Wash with Ceravae 2-3 times a day. Follow with a layer of Calamine. Once dry, put the Jason’s cream over it. I hope it continues to improve. It definitely feels better. I think the Caladryl not only soothes and dries out blemishes, but also provides a protective layer to help your skin heal underneath. The Jason’s cream feels fabulous. I found it at a natural foods store. I don’t think a typical drugstore carries it. Also the Calamine dries whitish which tones down any redness and can be used as a base that helps my makeup stick and look natural.

by Simplynotred on 06/13/2014 23:34
I want to clarify that I started with Caladryl Clear. It helped but when I realized it had parabens and no actual calamine (just the Zinc), I switched to the pink calamine. I like it better. I think it lets your skin breathe better than the clear stuff and it's a better base for powder or makeup.
awesome results
Reviewed on March 3, 2014

shrunk my zits without burning my skin. i sometimes use toothepaste on the big, sore pimples, which does work, but can burn your skin if you are not careful. Calamine lotion provides the same benefit, but is more gentle. Plus, you can use it all over. Love it.

Try this if your acne is resistant to chemical products
Reviewed on May 1, 2013

I use walgreen's calamine lotion with zinc oxide (the one with the fewest ingredients), and the combination of calamine and zinc oxide works on my stubborn skin. My acne doesn't usually respond to acne topicals (bp, salycylic), so I thought I would try something different. I saw noticeable improvement the first time I used it overnight, but after a while the improvement slowed down because my skin is getting used to it. So now I use it once every few days to avoid dryness. Use it topically, not all over your face because it will dry you out.

Camoline lotion
Reviewed on December 30, 2013

I have moderate acne and I've tried all skin products and not one seem to work until my family member recommend camoline lotion and from that day forward I apply it every night by cotton wool and your lucky I get a couple.of spots , cheap stuff and works dramatically cost£1

Reviewed on January 6, 2013

I left the cap off the bottle by accident but turns out it turns into more of a thick consistency which makes it less messy to apply

Reviewed on November 20, 2012

Folks, the magic ingredient in the calamine lotion is zinc oxide.

When I was in my teens and twenties, I had terrible cystic acne. Nothing worked, and my heavy alcohol and white bread diet didn't help. I was a sad young lady who hid behind a layer of thick makeup. In my 30s and 40s my acne improved, as did my diet (see any correlation here?) and cutting out alcohol. Also, I began to see a pattern: after I went through a week of eating chocolate and/or desserts and/or loads of starches, I'd get rows of massive, golfball cysts, usually on my chin, jawline, and cheekbone. They would hurt so much, when I smiled or talked or chewed...well, you know how it goes. Throbbing cysts. Bacne. It took me awhile, but finally I learned: don't screw around with the food!

However, during those times--like holidays---when I do overeat on sugary/starchy foods, I've learned that calamine, applied to the cleansed (erupted) area at night will shrink that ball. The following morning I again cleanse the area, reapply the calamine--if you rub it in the pink fades, leaving a pale whitish area and then cover with a light water-based nude tone. After about 2 days the cysts have shrunk to the size of a grape seed. The only negative is that the top layer of skin is a bit dry, but that's nothing I can't deal with.

There is a tremendous amount of scientific and medical literature out there which indicates most acne (bacterial infection) is generated from gut imbalance. I will encourage anyone who wants to improve their complexion to read about gut health and skin. Through diet changes, a short-term round of antifungal medication (for Candida), followed by a complete reestablishment of the intestines with probiotics and homebrewed kefir, and jump-starting the "elimination system", there will be a massive improvement.

Please, educate yourself on the gut-skin-brain triangle, well-researched since the 1920s. Sadly, it has been ignored.

[link removed]