Baking Soda

Average price: $1.44

Most helpful review

By Morgo K on 10/20/2013
thumbnail

I used it only once overnight. And I noticed a dramatic difference in pimple swelling and redness. I used a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda because I learned that the acidity in lemons help fight Bacteria and also help lighten the skin. So I applied the baking soda lemon juice mixture as a mask overnight and my skin is alot smoother and more radiant. And the pimple size went down. I'm definitely using this again ^_^.

Pros:
  • softer skin
  • reduces pimple rednesd and swelling
  • lighter skin
Cons:
  • haven't found any yet

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Used as face scrub”
By on

I have been using it as a face scrub to remove dead skin, dirt and oiliness and works beautifully. Not only that, but it's all natural and cheap. I have also put it overnight on some larger cystic type pimples, which certainly helped reduce the redness and swelling. Highly recommend.

• for a few months

“Wonderful”
By on

Every day I use 1tsp of baking soda mixed with 3 tbsp brewed coffee grounds, 3 tsp sugar, 2 tsp dish soap and 1 tsp neutrogena daily/mask. I scrub my entire face, and body with it and then rinse. Then dry without a towel to prevent irritation.

Pros

• Great cleanser
  • Soaks up oil
  • Exfoliates

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 13
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“So-so”
By on

It's a great exfoliator, but it dries my skin out terribly and occasionally causes breakouts, even (and sometimes especially) if I moisturize afterward. It's a very good spot treatment though. But my main preference for it is as a shampoo. :)

Pros

• gently exfoliates skin
  • a good spot treatment
  • extremely cheap

Cons

• dries out skin
  • causes breakouts
  • can be messy
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 0.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“It's a life saver!”
By on

I've been using baking soda as my face wash for just over a year now and I love it. I just started using it on my chest and back to help with acne there as well and it's done wonders for me. I also use it under my arms to help get off any deodorant that didn't come off with my body wash. I don't mix anything with the baking soda, I just wet my face when I'm taking a shower in the morning, or in the sink when I'm getting ready for bed, take a little bit of the baking soda in my hand and scrub my face a bit. When I do wear makeup, the baking soda manages to get off the remainder of the makeup that I may have missed with my makeup remover. I have super sensitive skin and this is honestly the only thing my skin hasn't reacted badly too. My skin is really oily as well and helps manage that a bit too. Plus it feels good to exfoliate my skin! It's really been a life saver for me because I've struggled with acne since I was 11 and have spent way to much money on different products and since I'm a poor broke college student right now, it's the most cost effective thing for me.

Pros

• helps control acne and oil
  • helps get off any makeup that's hard to get off or that was missed with makeup remover
  • gentle exfoliate and cheap!

Cons

• some may find it too abrasive for them
  • some people find it drying
  • for more than a year
  • $ 1
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Only one problem”
By on

To create my paste, I mixed about 1/4 part water and 3/4 part baking soda (you can use what ever you please, it's preference). Then I washed my face until it was clean then I applied the paste with a brush, you can use your fingers though. The mask was a bit uncomfortable but that was because it was drying and tightening my skin, which I assumed would happen. After three uses of this, I saw INSANE results but the only bad thing is, after a week of using it everyday the results dumbed down and it stopped working. So I suggest that you use it and take a break for a week or so, other than that, it took away many acne scar! It's great before a big event! But make sure you test it on a small patch of skin first.

Pros

• Adorable
  • Saw results quickly
  • Easy to make and apply

Cons

• Results stop
  • A little irritable
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 1
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Awesome”
By on

Well over the years my face was full of scars from pimples and pimples themselves. I always wanted that flawless face girls used to have. So one day I started looking for home remedies for my acne and I saw baking soda. I mixed the baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and everytime I showered I would used it as a scrub. After a week my face was flawless and even though I still had scars the pimples were gone.

Pros

• Makes skin less oily
  • Cleans skin of pimples
  • Cleans pores

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Amazing”
By on

Well at first it was hard to mix to get that pasty texture but then I got a hang of it

Pros

• Makes skin less oily
  • Makes skin soft
  • Lowers pimples

Cons

• Stings
  • Takes long
  • for a day or two
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not just for baking”
By on

I mix this is with most of my face washes as well as my body wash. It reduces redness, dries my oily skin just right, takes off the flaking from healed spots. Cleans and clears both my facial acne as well as my body acne. I mix this in with my facial wash, and my tea tree soap bar for my body.

Pros

• Clears skin
  • reduces redness
  • works well with all my washes (and follows my natural rule)

Cons

• Runs out quick
  • Clumps up in the box
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Totally Worth the Sting!”
By on

This product was Amazing! I didn't think much of it when I first came across it but thought that I would give it a go and it was awesome. I used 2tbsp of baking soda and mixed it with 2 tsps of water and made a paste and applied it in circular motions. Left it on for about 10 mins and rinsed with warm water. My face looks great! Reduced swelling, and cleared out pores.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Really Works
  • Reduced swelling and cleared up face visably

Cons

• Stung really bad! (But worth It)
  • for a day or two
  • $ 0.89
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“DO NOT USE BAKING SODA ON YOUR FACE! FAR TOO ALKALINE!”
By on

I am horrified to see the amount of people who actually use this on their face.

Your skin has a natural acid mantle which helps it fight breakouts and using an alkaline substance like baking soda will completely destroy that by throwing the PH right off.

No competent skin care professional would ever recommend putting this on your face, but if you are going to anyway, make sure you lower the PH of your skin with an acidic toner after like ACV.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Causes Breakouts
  • Destroys Acid Mantle
  • Extremely Alkaline (upsets skin's PH balance)
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.