Baking Soda reviews

4.3/5 - 916 reviews

Baking Soda

Good in moderation, gets rid of blackheads, but burned my face and will post an update
Reviewed on March 29, 2015

At first, it was great. all of my many blackheads were gone. I used this stuff as a mask, mixing it with my mask acne treatment. I left it on overnight once for about 5 hours and all was well. However, when I accidentally left it on for like 10 hours because I fell asleep with it on my face and I didn't have any initiative to wake up early, it left my skin extremely dry and irritate with a rash like/extra dry like feeling on my skin. But this isn't like some terrible horrible burn, its only something I notice because it is my face. Do not judge, I really didn't mean to leave it on my skin for that long. I have tried to find out what will happen to my face because of this, but I have found no answers online. no one has said anything about the aftermath of a baking soda burn. So if I can, I will post in update to see how this all plays out.

If my face heals, I will probably change my ratings to 5-stars because it DID get rid of my blackheads, and I had ALOT of them. little blackheads were literally taking over my face.. but within 3 days this product cleared all of them up, which I haven't been able to do for months. USE IN MODERATION!

Didn't work
Reviewed on March 28, 2015

This didn't work at all for me. I have sensitive skin so I think that's the problem. Burned my face and left it dry and irritated.

by monae95 on 03/29/2015 21:40
did your skin heal from the burned and irritated skin?
Please be careful
Reviewed on March 5, 2015

I used baking soda for a while and I believed it was doing wonders, it left my skin smooth and it didn't make my face feel too dry. But unfortunately baking soda just isn't the right pH for our skin. Our skin is slightly acidic, and baking soda is much too alkaline, which leaves our skin defenceless against bacteria.

Now, I know for some people baking soda works great as an exfoliant, and it is much better to use baking soda than a harsh apricot scrub, for example, and if you are switching from a harsh acne scrub to baking soda, you will certainly see some improvement.

But, my experiences have lead me to believe that any "scrubbing" product is bad for acne prone skin. For a long time I was an over-exfoliator, I would use baking soda twice a week, I thought it was great, but eventually it broke me out horribly. By scrubbing at your skin you are creating lots of tiny microscopic cuts on the surface and huge amounts of irritation, which is detrimental to acne.

At the end of the day, you cannot scrub your acne off your face, contrary to popular belief.

Your skin will be much happier, and healthier if it is kept at the correct pH, using a gentle and nourishing skincare routine.

Please, please be careful if you decide to scrub at your skin!

Exfoliating Mask
Reviewed on March 1, 2015

So I tried a honey and baking soda exfoliating mask tonight and can say without a doubt that baking soda is good to use when sloughing off dead skin cells. However, I read a few reviews on here and decided to use very little baking soda. You don't want to use too much of this stuff and I would consider mixing it with organic honey, or aloe vera, or something else. Its the texture of sand and rubbing that much sand on your face could take off more than your skin needed it too. I'm looking elsewhere for a pore-closing mask. If you wanted to do this stuff just to get the 'lightening' of scars benefit, I would advise you to try using a recipe with aloe vera for a few months instead.

smooooth.
Reviewed on February 28, 2015

I use the Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub all over my face, neck & in between my breasts, gently (except around my nostrils & that little dent between your bottom lip & chin, I give those areas a good scrub) then I apply, gently, baking soda all over my face & mix it in with the aveeno. I'll leave it on for a minute or two then I'll scrub my face under the water until it washes clean. When I get out of the shower I apply baking soda all over my face, followed by a super light layer of coconut oil, then one more layer of baking soda just to absorb most of the oil.. leaving it on all day.

by estyNikkie on 02/28/2015 04:00
& I really shouldn't say "scrub" you should never scrub anything in to your face, when you wash your face... imagine that you are washing a babies face. that is how gentle you want to wash your face.
Baking soda for my cystic acne
Reviewed on February 23, 2015

I rarely get normal zits and I occasionally get black heads. Most of what I get is large cystic acne caused by a hormone imbalance. I use proactive as well as keep my face clean but the cysts prevail! I make a paste of baking soda and water and put it all over my face because I read about it on several sites. I kept it on for about 20 min. It burned a little that's why I give it 4 stars. When I woke up in the morning my swelling from a few spots were reduced, and one that was emerging and becoming painfull retreated! I suggest trying a spot on your chin before you enduldge in a full mask so you don't burn yourself if you're sensitive.

Avoid using baking soda on your face!!
Reviewed on February 8, 2015

I have breakouts all over my face, I think it has something to do with my thyroid disorder, so after doing some online research, I bought a box of this baking soda (earlier today) and decided to give it a try.

First, I washed my face using an apricot scrub bar and rinsed it off thoroughly.

I then poured some baking soda into my palm, along with a little water, and applied it to my face, scrubbing GENTLY!

It started burning instantly, which I thought was normal... But then after about 30 seconds it started burning like crazy and become intolerable so I quickly rinsed it off with cold water... It still burned a little so I rinsed about 2 more times...

OMG when I dried my face I saw that I had huge burns all over my cheeks and on my forehead... Which are oozing!!!

I am so sad right now... And on top of that, my face is completely dried out... I applied some moisturizer but it was stinging... So now I am sitting down with peanut butter all over my face... Ugh!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I PUT BAKING SODA ON MY FACE....

by HannahSPND1 on 02/18/2015 02:41
This is basically what happened to me a few minutes ago!! I noticed I had big pores while looking in the mirror, so I went to Google and asked how to shrink them. Making a paste with baking soda and water came up so I tried it. About 30 seconds in, it starts burning but not horribly bad so I left it on for 3 minutes, like the directions online said to. Then I scrubbed it off, and I just looked in the mirror. I have breakouts on my cheeks now! Thy are like little pimples and not oozing though. And it burns still. I've tried cold and hot water to scrub it off and lower the burning but it's not working.
by Ashley545 on 02/27/2015 12:11
I'd like to point out that baking soda is like exfoliating your face, so I don't know why you used an apricot scrub before then..
Never using this on my face again!
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

Last night I used this to get rid of acne marks, I left it on for only about 15 minutes because it was burning so much. I woke up this morning with two huge burns and a couple small ones. They have been oozing and stinging non stop. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Use a product that's actually meant to be put on your face.

by Sipsi on 02/05/2015 14:44
are you sure you used baking soda, and not baking powder?
by Drea86 on 02/08/2015 02:59
The same thing happened to me just now.
Very average
Reviewed on January 28, 2015

Works for a day in drying out pimples but they come back and the stuff is (eventually) very irritating to the skin. Not a long term solution.

28 years old and finally Baking Soda cleared my acne!!!
Reviewed on January 25, 2015

Tried so many over the counter washes and acne treatments and nothing seemed to ever work!!!!I have very oily skin and still broke.out at 28 with acne, tried making baking soda face masks by just adding a bit of water to a a handfull of baking soda. It seriously works better then anything, keeps my skin from being a oil slick all the time somehow. A bit too much too scrub your face with, irritates mine that way. But wetting my face a few times a week and doing the mask is amazing, took alot of redness away also!!!!Try it!!!!