Baking Soda reviews

4.2/5 - 922 reviews

Nah.
Reviewed on May 28, 2015

Have tried this a few times over the years. It's cheap so maybe it's worth trying for you but my skin didn't respond to it at all, by any method of application, except just getting a little pink. If my skin is itchy for some reason I'll soak in a tub with some baking soda and epsom salts but it never helped my acne. The only reason I'd recommend it is because it does help with my itchy legs when I throw some in a bath, so I'm sure there are possibly benefits with other skin issues, and it's probably in your kitchen somewhere already and you don't have anything to lose.

Use a pH balance toner
Reviewed on May 19, 2015

After using baking soda as a exfoliate I use a toner to balance back my skin

Baking Soda and Castor Oil
Reviewed on May 2, 2015

I put a mixture of Baking Soda and Castor Oil on my face to get rid of mole.

Now my face is very dry and rough looking. It's working but also causing my skin to peel and blotch a lot.

Can anyone tell me what I can use to get smooth skin again?

Burned my face REALLY BAD!
Reviewed on April 25, 2015

exam night and i'm having a few annoying stress pimples. i read about the baking soda paste and leaving it for 15-20 minutes thing..

well.. i didn't even get to reach the 10 minute mark..

it's my first time using it and i thought the slight burning sensation was normal..

just around the 7 minute mark i thought of washing it off..

i added some water and scrubbed the firs pimple a little but it was burning bad when i did .. so i just washed the rest off..

i dried my face and found out those huge red markings on my face and the part where i ruled .. my skin was peeled like a chemical burn!!

BAD BAD BAD .. don't even think about it!!

by niquedizzy on 04/29/2015 05:56
Don't leave it on for more than a minute! It's definitely not a mask.
by happyhealthylife004 on 05/22/2015 18:44
You should never leaving baking soda on your face for more then 3 minutes!!! If you do it can cause burning sensations and discomfort.
Baking soda is bad for skin!!!
Reviewed on April 25, 2015

The pH of baking soda is 9, whereas skin is slightly acidic at 4.5-5. Using baking soda will be a huge irritant and upset your skin's natural protective barriers. Bacteria actually likes alkaline cultures, so using this can encourage bacterial growth. It's also way too abrasive - it can cause micro-tears (tiny openings in the skin which allow bacteria to enter) and also broken capillaries, which can only be fixed by laser treatments.

by stacyk318 on 05/23/2015 06:17
Are you saying it's too basic to put in skin??
please advise what to do next .....
Reviewed on April 5, 2015

I had acne from 7-8 years mostly on my cheeks went to dermatologist many times, after 2 months medication acne reduces but after 5-6 months when i stop the medication it starts again. one day i read about baking soda and i started using it. Before going to bed i used to apply baking soda with water paste for 10-15 minutes and after that coconut oil to moisturize for almost one week. it gave me fairer skin and my acne spots were lighten now. i was very happy after one week i had to go for party so i used Ayur cucumber face pack for 10 minutes. next day morning i got 4-5 pimples on my cheeks and one big one between my eyebrows. red and white it was painful. after that i am not using any thing on my skin. i am afraid to use any thing on my face. i am confuse shall i use baking soda again or not. :(

by RDMF on 04/25/2015 15:53
Baking soda is far too basic for your skin (it's a 9 on the pH scale, whereas your face is around 4.5) so it can be a huge irritant, and will damage your skin's natural protective barriers. Acne-causing bacteria thrives under these conditions, so prolonged use of baking soda will make your acne worse. It's also way too abrasive for your face - it can cause micro-tears or broken capillaries, which can only be fixed by laser treatments. Please don't use it anymore.
by Tidleywinx on 05/04/2015 18:46
Coconut oil is high on the comedogenic rating with a 4 out of 0-5 rating... try using a less comedogenic oil like hemp seed or something. Jojoba is actually a wax and closely mimics the sebum in skin and it's not on the list but I think it's a 2 on the rating on another site. Lot of people find it helps them with removing blackheads etc. Anyway, coconut is definitely not for everyone!! Lot of people use it fine but for others it is bad for their skin like me! I use baking soda myself as a spot treatment with lemon juice and even with sensitive skin it seems to be fine. Everything works different for different people.
by Naturehubs123 on 05/15/2015 02:51
Hey! For starters never use baking soda...but there is always honey with cinnamon face mask or Vaseline (it sounds crazy but try it) worked great for me.
by Naturehubs123 on 05/15/2015 02:51
Good in moderation, gets rid of blackheads, but burned my face and will post an update
Reviewed on March 29, 2015

At first, it was great. all of my many blackheads were gone. I used this stuff as a mask, mixing it with my mask acne treatment. I left it on overnight once for about 5 hours and all was well. However, when I accidentally left it on for like 10 hours because I fell asleep with it on my face and I didn't have any initiative to wake up early, it left my skin extremely dry and irritate with a rash like/extra dry like feeling on my skin. But this isn't like some terrible horrible burn, its only something I notice because it is my face. Do not judge, I really didn't mean to leave it on my skin for that long. I have tried to find out what will happen to my face because of this, but I have found no answers online. no one has said anything about the aftermath of a baking soda burn. So if I can, I will post in update to see how this all plays out.

If my face heals, I will probably change my ratings to 5-stars because it DID get rid of my blackheads, and I had ALOT of them. little blackheads were literally taking over my face.. but within 3 days this product cleared all of them up, which I haven't been able to do for months. USE IN MODERATION!

update: skin healed :) good as new but with less pimples.

Didn't work
Reviewed on March 28, 2015

This didn't work at all for me. I have sensitive skin so I think that's the problem. Burned my face and left it dry and irritated.

by monae95 on 03/29/2015 21:40
did your skin heal from the burned and irritated skin?
Please be careful
Reviewed on March 5, 2015

I used baking soda for a while and I believed it was doing wonders, it left my skin smooth and it didn't make my face feel too dry. But unfortunately baking soda just isn't the right pH for our skin. Our skin is slightly acidic, and baking soda is much too alkaline, which leaves our skin defenceless against bacteria.

Now, I know for some people baking soda works great as an exfoliant, and it is much better to use baking soda than a harsh apricot scrub, for example, and if you are switching from a harsh acne scrub to baking soda, you will certainly see some improvement.

But, my experiences have lead me to believe that any "scrubbing" product is bad for acne prone skin. For a long time I was an over-exfoliator, I would use baking soda twice a week, I thought it was great, but eventually it broke me out horribly. By scrubbing at your skin you are creating lots of tiny microscopic cuts on the surface and huge amounts of irritation, which is detrimental to acne.

At the end of the day, you cannot scrub your acne off your face, contrary to popular belief.

Your skin will be much happier, and healthier if it is kept at the correct pH, using a gentle and nourishing skincare routine.

Please, please be careful if you decide to scrub at your skin!

Exfoliating Mask
Reviewed on March 1, 2015

So I tried a honey and baking soda exfoliating mask tonight and can say without a doubt that baking soda is good to use when sloughing off dead skin cells. However, I read a few reviews on here and decided to use very little baking soda. You don't want to use too much of this stuff and I would consider mixing it with organic honey, or aloe vera, or something else. Its the texture of sand and rubbing that much sand on your face could take off more than your skin needed it too. I'm looking elsewhere for a pore-closing mask. If you wanted to do this stuff just to get the 'lightening' of scars benefit, I would advise you to try using a recipe with aloe vera for a few months instead.