YAZ Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 339 reviews

Brand: YAZ

YAZ Oral Contraceptive

Ethinyloestradiol (20mcg), Synthetic Oestrogen, and Drospirenone (3mg).

Lactose, maize starch, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, purified talc, titanium dioxide, iron oxide red.

4 placebo (non-hormonal) pills per pack
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide.

GOOD FOR ACNE, BAD FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
Reviewed on December 1, 2017

I've had cystic acne on my chin appearing like clockwork a week before my period and I would spend the rest of the month attempting to get rid of it, just for it to leave a scar and another one to appear the next month. This gets rid of cystic acne very fast, within a week at the least but if you're still having problems I suggest cutting out dairy for the 2 weeks before your period-- It worked for me and I was amazed. I got changed off of Vestura to Nikki and it still works for my face. However, I have had TERRIBLE mood swings and headaches. Before I realized it was the medicine, I could not go 3 days without crying my eyes out. I'm going to ask my derm to go back to Vestura because I can't go Nikki for much longer, so if you get put on a generic and you notice changes in mood and general feeling, ASK TO BE SWITCHED TO ANOTHER GENERIC. It will save your life.

Give it 3 months
Reviewed on October 15, 2017

I agree with the last post. Give it three months. I never had skin problems as a teen. My acne journey started when I was 20 and was prescribed the contraceptive pill Levlen. When I was 21, I started taking Diane. My skin cleared up in two weeks and remained flawless for years. When I was 29, I had to go off the pill for 3 months to get some hormone testing done. My acne came back worse than ever. I started using proactive twice daily and after 6 months of taking Diane again, my skin was returned to normal. But then all of sudden after 5 years, two years ago, Diane stopped working for my acne. I started getting big blind pimples on my chin and lower part of my face. My doctor suggested I try zoely. This made my skin oily and I broke out in comedones on my cheeks and big pimples on my forehead. I stayed on Zoely but started taking minocyclin. I took it for 6 months and my skin cleared up. But as soon as I stopped taking the antibiotics, the acne returned. I tried a second course of minocyclin and using a retinoid cream. The antibiotics didn't work this time and neither did the cream. After a year of taking zoely, my skin was oily, I had comedonal acne and very oily hair. My doctor suggested Yaz and I was willing to try anything. So I stared it. I immediately began breaking out in big blind pimples on my cheeks, chin and forehead. Also small, painful bumps along my jawline. The large pimples on my cheeks were horrible. I was constantly reapplying my make up through out the day to try and conceal my blemishes. The pimples would stick around for weeks and have left dark marks on my face. But I noticed that my skin and hair were no longer oily. I've always been a person who has to wash her hair every second day. But now I could go three days without oil. This has never happened before so I stuck with Yaz thinking it was a good sign. Second month, more of the same. Third month, less occurances of pimples on my forehead, less large pimples on my cheeks- mostly small ones that would go away in a day or two, still a few painful bumps along my jawline. Now I'm halfway through the fourth month. No more big pimples, a tiny pimple once in a while on the sides of my face not far from the hairline. No big blind pimples, scarring is fading. Yesterday I went to a music festival and after being in the sun all day I thought the sweat and make up would cause a big break out. I got one little pimple close to my hairline on my left cheek which is gone today. So I would encourage you to wait three months. If you're not seeing any improvement by the fourth month then fair enough, stop taking Yaz.

Other things you should know. I still wash my face with proactive products twice a day. I've been doing that for 7 years. I use an oil free moisturiser, foundation, primer and powder. I take hair, skin and nails vitamins everyday. And for the past two months , I've been using the neutrogena LED light therapy mask for ten minutes every night.

I understand how acne can impact upon your everyday life. Clear skin is my thing. I look at everyone's skin and compare it to mine. As soon as I wake up every morning, I check for pimples. I get it. I have an autoimmune disease which creates a hormonal imbalance so my doctor has warned me that I may have issues with acne for the rest of my life. I never thought I would be dealing with teenage skin problems at 36!

Give it a full 3 months
Reviewed on July 19, 2017

These reviews helped me a lot so I thought I'd share my experience. I had severe hormonal acne + pustules all over my face, specifically on my cheeks and jawline, when I got prescribed yaz. The first month was absolutely terrible and I broke out all over my forehead, back and chest... I was literally scared to leave the house. In the second month, it was just as bad but new pimples weren't surfacing as often. Month 3: up until the 3rd week I had small pimples on my face and everywhere else had cleared up (nothing as bad as month 1) but it wasn't till I completely finished my 3rd pack that my face cleared up. I'm now in the middle of month 4 and my face is completely clear!!!! I can go out in public without makeup and finally feel confident, which was NOT the case 3 months ago. Also, I have experienced no side effects except nausea during the first 2 weeks of starting the pill and bigger boobs :)

Saved my face!!
Reviewed on June 27, 2017

I am 18 and I suffered from cystic acne for a long time, which left scars on my face. I tried antibiotics for years and a different type of birth control (Microgestin Fe), which didn't help much (if at all). My doctor switched me to Yaz. I just finished my third pack and my face is spotless. It began working almost immediately. By the middle of month 2, my face had almost cleared up completely. I get a few small breakout spots while on the placebo pills, but I NEVER get any cysts. I have a few mood swings on the placebo pills and my boobs are swollen and a little bit sore all the time. I have grown two cup sizes, but I have had no weight gain other than that (which I am fine with haha) and no other serious side effects. I would definitely recommend Yaz for acne.

by Joannenis on 07/02/2017 06:03
Hi..m please let me know. I'm 21 years old and I'm a virgin i want to tale birth control pills I'm scared if i take bith control pills i might have side effects.
Slowly working
Reviewed on February 21, 2017

Thought I'd post my experience with yaz! I started yaz 3 months ago.. I'll be starting my 4th pack in about a week! When I started yaz i was having very mild breakouts on my back as well as a new inflamed pimple on my face about every 4 days or so and theyd take a couple days to go away with the odd cystic pimple every couple months or so! I should also mention that about 95% of my breakouts are around my mouth and chin area!

Month 1: my pimples here were about the same with no change really!

Month 2: End of month 1 and beginning of month 2 were horrible for me!! all my pimples cleared around my mouth and Id say for the entire month 2 I had maybe 6 cystic pimples on my left cheek.. no where else just my left cheek which I never get pimples there thats how I knew it was from the Yaz. As well as this, my back broke out in at least 20-30 pimples and I'm still dealing with the aftermath of that!

Month 3: Month 3 I was still breaking out on my back moderately! I was clear for about 2 weeks now I notice that I am getting a couple more pimples again, so I'm praying that in a couple more months the body acne will be gone for good! As for my face, I havent gotten a cystic pimple in 28 days hooray! And maybe one or two little pimples that have gone away in about 2 days.. although I actually still have the bump on my face from the cystic pimple that was from 28 days ago.. So I'm hoping that goes away soon or I'll have to go to the derm and get an injection I guess! Will update again at the end of month 4 :)

HORRIBLE BREAKOUT WHEN YOU STOP TAKING IT.
Reviewed on February 7, 2017

I started taking Yaz when I was 18 strictly for contraception purposes. I never really had acne before I started taking the pill, maybe a few pimples here and there but nothing like what I'm experiencing now. I took the pill for 5 years and the only real side effect I had was it completely eliminated my sex drive. I didn't realize this until I got off of it 8 months ago, and my libido came back full force. My body's making up for lost time I'd imagine hahah. While I was on it, my skin was pretty much immaculate so that was nice... Plus I never got pregnant so it served it's purpose. After being on it for 5 years I think my body got used to it. I started spotting in between periods, or having periods that lasted for 20-30 days.. NOT FUN. My boyfriend and I decided that after 5 years of artificial hormones, my body needed a break so I stopped taking them. My skin was okay for 2 months, it just got increasingly oily until around the 3 month mark and then BAM. ACNE. LOTS OF IT. MORE THAN I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. On my cheeks too, which I've never experienced before. 8 months later and I'm still trying to tame this beast, unfortunately it seems to be getting worse. I now have acne on my cheeks (primarily the right side), jaw, and chin. I've tried everything from oil cleansing to antibiotics. Moral of the story is... Yaz works wonderfully for some people while they're on it. But if you ever decide to go off of it you better buckle up, because it seems to be a long ride back to clear skin. I'm praying this pill hasn't caused irreversible damage to my hormones because it's already caused some scarring on my skin. Beware. The the risks do not (in my opinion) outweigh the benefits long term. If my 18 year old self had known what would happen, I would have chosen another route of birth control.

by katienicole on 02/17/2017 20:10
I had almost the identical experience. Tried alysena after the initial severe breakout, and it helped but I'm still constantly broken out. Started Yaz again today, and am now considering Accutane as a permanent solution. Good luck to anyone with a similar situation :)
Something that finally worked
Reviewed on December 1, 2016

My daughter started having an oily complexion when she was 10 years old. Soon after pimples & redness on her forehead began. We tried every cleanser, cheap, expensive, natural, homemade & only seemed to intensify the acne. I began reading everything I could on the Internet. Cleansers dry out the skin which can actually make the skin produce more oil which in turn produces clogged pores & acne. She then just washed her face with warm water, splashed on face with clean hands about ten times & gently pat dry with clean towel, twice daily or when skin looked too oily. Also important to wash your pillow case every few days until oil is under control. Doctor prescribed different ointments which only dried & burned the skin after only a few days. I then read milk thistle can help so off to the naturopath. She prescribed milk thistle for 3 months. This product actually caused more acne to form down the sides of her face. The naturopath recommended to keep taking it as it's cleansing the liver & toxins. That was a mistake and acne got worse. Stopped taking milk thistle after 4 months. We tried no milk products, eliminating certain foods, increasing certain foods, nothing worked. Her period began when she turned twelve. I knew the acne was hormonal. Acne was on her back, forehead & a few scattered around the rest of her face. By the age of twelve she was very discouraged, self esteem lowering & didn't like what she saw in the mirror. I then took her to the doctor in May & asked for a prescription of birth control Diana 35 or Yaz as they were supposed to be the best for controlling acne & to be referred to a dermatologist. It would take 6 months to get into see a dermatologist. My niece was on a low dose birth control which did nothing for the acne. The doctor prescribed Yaz as it is not as strong as Diana 35. I was concerned about blood clots but the doctor reassured us and said you have more of a chance of getting a blood clot while pregnant then on birth control. She began Yaz at the beginning of May. Appointment for dermatologist was November 30. After a few months my husband and I noticed the oily complexion was improving. She still had break outs but no more than before & used spot treatment to dry them out after washing with warm water & concealer to cover the redness and a mineral powder called Pur with a clean brush to even out the skin tone. Important to wash the brush once a week until oil is under control then monthly or so. Always apply on clean skin. Around 4-5 months the break outs were slowly getting less & oil production. My daughter didn't notice, she just wanted all the pimples to be gone. At 5-6 months she would have the occasional pimple and a couple more around her period. By the 6-7 month her skin looks incredible & no breakouts at all!!! She has been on Yaz for 7 months and couldn't be happier. We went to the dermatologist appointment yesterday and he said to keep doing what your doing because it's working. I asked of it's safe to be on Yaz. He said all medications have risks & you can't let what you hear on the news scare you because it's usually from other underlying issues. I asked if she should be using a cleanser and he said don't waste your money. He also mentioned that sometimes the birth control down the road could stop working for acne breakouts. Next step would be Accutane which would stop the acne all together. He said you want to deal with the acne before too many scars form if you continually have breakouts. Slight scaring will heel on its own with time. You have to be on birth control already to take Accutane. I hope this post helps some girls out there that are suffering from acne. Six to seven months seems like forever but the end result is fantastic & you will see improvement at the 4-5 month, just be patient. Also we asked for Yaz not generic pill which I heard can make a difference. Also want to mention it took a 3-4 months for her mood swings to even out & her body to adjust to the hormones from birth control so again, it will get better. Good luck!

Very mixed feelings about it
Reviewed on July 20, 2016

Originally I was prescribed Diane 35 by my dermatologist, but I decided to go with Yaz eventually because it has a lower dose of estrogen as well as a shorter 4-day period. Now I have been on Yaz for around 6 months already. While I don't really regret choosing it over Diane 35, I have to say that I do have very mixed feelings about the results that I am getting.

First of all, here are the pros and cons of Yaz for me.

Pros:

No weight gain at all

Sex drive remaining there

Gradually lighter period

Increased breast size

Reduction in oil production of skin

Cons:

Increased anxiety level

Increased irritability

Mood swings

Breakthrough bleeding

Cystic Acne remaining there

I didn't really get an initial breakout from Yaz. For the first few months I did notice some strange things happening to my skin. For example, during the 2nd month for about a week my skin went from super oily to super dry with zero oil production. But very quickly it went back to normal. Yaz has really helped me greatly in reducing the oil production of my skin. Prior to taking it, I couldn't get by one or two hours without looking like a complete oil slick. But now the oiliness of my skin is very normal and in acceptable level, even though I still consider myself having oily and acne prone skin. However, Yaz has so far failed to clear me up. Somewhere from the middle of the 4th month I have started to break out more and now I have been breaking out really badly in cystic acne. I am not certain whether the sudden onset of cystic acne is directly caused by Yaz or other factors though.

Emotionally it has been a roller coaster for me in the past few months. Although I don't think Yaz is to be blamed alone for all my anxiety / irritability / depression, I do believe that it plays a part in affecting my moodiness more or less. And I really think that anyone with a family history of anxiety or depression issue should be very very cautious with hormonal treatment.

Anyway I am going to stick with Yaz for another 3 months maybe, just to see if my cystic acne will improve or get worse. If it gets really out of control or doesn't have any improvement after that, maybe I will consider switching to another brand, maybe Diane 35, who knows!

**UPDATE on 02/2017- I'm changing my rating to 1 star**
Reviewed on July 19, 2016

*** 02/2017-- I'm leaving my original review from July 2016 at the bottom. I went off Yaz in September 2016, and that time it was for good. I never had any mood problems while taking Yaz, but when I stopped taking it I developed full-blown Panic Disorder. I'm talking about panic attacks everyday, and the constant feeling like something bad was about to happen. My heart rate was a constant 110-120 beats per minute. My life was hell for 3 months until December when it started to go away. DO NOT go on this medication, it SUCKS. I almost had to drop out of my last semester of nursing school because of it.***

July 2016-

I do not have PCOS, but I have elevated DHEA-S (twice the normal limit) and slighty elevated Cortisol. I went on Yaz after Ortho Tri Cyclen and 50mg Spironolactone stopped working for me. I've had no bad side effects or adverse reactions. It cleared 95% of my breakouts.

I also have a history of migraines with aura. I only had 2 of these migrianes, and they were 5 years before I started Yaz.

I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because when I tried to go off it, I had the WORST break out imaginable. I quickly went back on again.

Yaz saved my skin!
Reviewed on June 16, 2016

I've struggled with Acne since I was 14. I'm now 24 and have tried everything- face washes, creams, facials, antibiotics, other birth controls, Accutane x 2. Nothing worked. I'd been on Ortho-Tricyclin for 6 years previously which helped clear up my acne for the most part but when I turned 22, my acne started reappearing and getting worse on my cheeks- which was never a problem area I ever had. I went off birth control completely for 8 months, hoping my hormones would balance themselves out- WRONG. My acne got much, much worse. After talking with my doctor, he prescribed YAZ. The first month and a half my acne worsened which dampened my spirits but after the 2nd pack, my skin has cleared up immensely. Hang in there and let YAZ work it's magic. Sure there are some downsides of taking birth control but to me, clear skin is totally worth it!

Powerful. Proprietary. Proven.
  • Powerfully effective
  • Pharmaceutical grade
  • Guaranteed effective
  • Doctor/Dermatologist recommended
  • Used in acne clinics worldwide
  • 100% non-comedogenic
  • Fragrance-free & dye-free
  • pH balanced
  • Scientifically formulated for acne-prone skin
  • Developed by the experts at Acne.org