Yasmin Oral Contraceptive Reviews

Brand: Yasmin

Yasmin Oral Contraceptive

Poison

Was on a pill called Qlaira for a long time. Came off it due to irregular bleeding, and as ive suffered with my skin in the past, my doctor recommended lucette (cheap yasmin) . All i can say is my skin hasnt been this bad since i was a teen, and these period pains and heavy bleeding are unreal. Its poison. Im actually fuming. In light of my headache (literally) ive decided that i will not be using an oral contraceptive again. Ive tried everything and this has taught me a valuable lesson, to let nature do its thing. Condoms will have to do....i am.not going to damage my body or my skin any more. I really hope this stops someone going through what i have! Not worth it girls!

Do not take Yasmin

I was on dianette for a year before changing to Yasmin in Feb. I took Yasmin roughly 5-6 months and it’s ruined me. Mood swings, headaches, head fuzziness, heart palpitations. I ended up in hospital because of it - my heart rate was extremely elevated. However every test came out fine and I’ve never had any health problems prior. I stopped mid pack a month ago because it was making me feel so awfully depressed. It did make my skin better (not perfect) but it is NOT worth feeling like this. I now have suffered panic attacks and anxiety when I have never dealt with that before. I still feel spaced out and tired all of the time. I just don’t feel right and it’s affecting my everyday loft. If I can stop even one girl taking Yasmin then that is enough. it’s not worth the risk of reacting like myself and many others have (do your research). I wish I had known all this before taking it. Take other routes to clear your skin!

Do not take Yasmin

I was on dianette for a year before changing to Yasmin in Feb. I took Yasmin roughly 5-6 months and it’s ruined me. Mood swings, headaches, head fuzziness, heart palpitations. I ended up in hospital because of it - my heart rate was extremely elevated. However every taste came out fine and I’ve never had any health problems prior. I stopped mid pack a month ago because it was making me feel so awfully depressed. It did make my skin better (not perfect) but it is NOT worth feeling like this. I now have suffered panic attacks and anxiety when I have never dealt with that before. I still feel spaced out and tired all of the time. I just don’t feel right and it’s affecting my everyday loft. If I can stop even one girl taking Yasmin then that is enough. it’s not worth the risk of reacting like myself and many others have (do your research). I wish I had known all this before taking it. Take other routes to clear your skin!

Cured my acne!

I have had acne since I was a teenager, but it had never been as bad as it was when I turned 23. My hormones decided to suddenly wack out and nothing I did helped alleviate it. I've tried going on Doxycyclin, Tretinoin, Spironolactone, topical Clindamycin, and many different kinds of washes and prescription creams. I even tried going the natural route and taking herbs such as vitex, saw palmetto, DIM, milk thistle, and completely changing my diet. NOTHING WORKED. I was afraid to try Yasmin because of the horrendous possible side effects but I was at my wits end and very desperate. The problem was whenever my hormones shifted slightly throughout my cycle, my skin would respond by breaking out all along my cheeks, forehead, and jaw. Yasmin keeps your hormones balanced at all times, allowing no fluctuations. Within two weeks it started completely clearing my acne! I've been on it for four months now and since then I've had three tiny pimples tops and I'm lucky enough to not have experienced any side effects at all. I highly recommend at least trying Yasmin, it could seriously work for you and save you a lot of pain. It did for me!

Help!

I need advice! I’m on my 3rd pack now and have small bumps on jawline and forehead with some whiteheads, also each time I have the 7day break my skin clears what does that mean will it work or nah?

This happened to me and in the third month I stopped! I am still breaking out a little though-did yours ever get better?

been on it for 6 days..

i’m 16, not sexually active at all, went on the pill for acne only. not even a week in and i HATE this pill. depressive episodes, horrendous bloating and cravings and lo and behold, WORSENED ACNE. IT HAS NOT EVEN BEEN A WEEK. there’s no way i could continue with this pill any longer. stopping it today and going to my GP about other options. plus my acne has been tested to be hormonal.. so sad about this.

100% clear skin

This pill is great to keep my skin clear and regulate my period.

Comments

CLEARED MY SKIN AFTER 12 YEARS OF ACNE!

THIS PILL IS AMAZING! I've had cystic acne all my life been on accutane twice which worked but acne returned. Been on loads of antibiotics and topical creams nothing worked. I tried yasmin years ago but didnt have success but in a last-ditch attempt i decided to try again. My acne has always been cystic all over my chin, jaw, hairline, neck and back. Ive nearly finished my first cycle of lucette (used to be called yasmin) and my face has cleared up dramatically. I am still getting painful cysts on my back and a few on my jawline but my face is almost completely clear. I am in shock at how quickly its cleared up my skin and I hope it continues in this positive direction for the next few months! I will update this post next month to see if there has been further improvement.

Can I ask how long it took to see results

Cleared acne but side effects

I've had severe acne for over 12 years, since the age of 9. I've tried various over the counter and prescribed creams/ gels etc. I also took various anti-biotics as prescribed by my dermatologist. These worked somewhat however not dramatic differences were seen. I have tried every lotion and potion and skin "hack" under the sun. Yasmin cured my acne within a few months. Of course my skin is severely scared however it has cleared almost all my cystic acne and my complexion is so much clearer! Of course I always have one or two spots but compared to the full face of hormonal acne I once wore, this has been such a dramatic improvement within the 7 months I have been taking it. Despite this, Yasmin did give me awful cellulite. I was technically underweight for my age and height so this was obviously worrying as I did not gain weight- just cellulite.

lol wait till you go off it

Cured my acne, gave me early breast cancer

I thought acne was bad. Got diagnosed with noninvasive DCIS (breast cancer) and my surgeon told me the pill brought it out. If i could go back i would of punched myself in the face for going on this.

Comments

Finishing first pack... acne is only getting worse

Asking a question for people who this pill worked for clearing acne: was it normal that acne became more active in the first month? ive been on accutane a year ago, so having pimples again is painful... however, they arent cystic or anything its bearable.... but my skin has been getting worse, should i keep taking the pill or ditch it?

keep taking it. That is definitely not long enough to see if it will work for you. You have to hang in there as difficult as it is.

So far so good but some fatigue

My 17 year old daughter has struggled with acne for years and we have tried virtually everything including accutane (which she was pulled off of because her liver enzymes spiked). Nothing has lasted. She had tried the pill previously (Ortho tricycline I believe) but she started to break out worse and gain weight immediately so she was too discouraged to continue past about a month and a half. She has just started yasmin. She did have an initial breakout towards the end of the first week through the second week. There were a few days that it was pretty bad. A lot of small whiteheads all over. By the third week that breakout stopped and she is clearing nicely. She is into the first month's placebo pills now and actually went without makeup yesterday and did not feel like people would be staring at her (her words). She is definitely healing now but has a ways to go. Lots of red healing marks and a few small pimples left but the initial breakout seems to be over (fingers crossed). She is very encouraged and feels like this will work for her and she will finally be clear with smooth skin. Luckily initial breakout was short lived. The only side effect she is having is that she is very tired. Nothing else. No weight gain, no headaches, etc. Did anyone else have this tiredness? I am wondering if it will go away after awhile or if she will just have to deal with it the whole time and if so if there is anything she can do to try to help mitigate her fatigue.

Hello, I will be finishing my first pack of Lucette tomorrow 14/06/2017 ( Lucette is the same as Yasmin but cheaper brand). So far I have had awful tiredness - as an example before I started on Lucette I was able to go to bed early and wake up ready to start the day. Now I go to bed at the same time and struggle to wake up. I also feel like I could take naps throughout the day, I'm hoping this will wear off. My experience so far is that I had awful stomach pains within the first few weeks these seem to of worn off now but my acne is the worst it has been for a long time. I'm hoping by the next pack my skin will start to calm down and clear up - if not i'll be going back to the doctors to try another pill. I have previously been on Dianette which suited me and my acne perfectly however they don't like you staying on that for an extensive period of time as there is a slightly higher risk of blood clots (we're talking marginal).
I specifically got the real yasmin for my daughter because I had seen a few posts about some people having issues with some of the generics. She just started her 2nd pack last night. She was less tired on the placebo pills. She has also now started to feel like her boobs got a little bigger. She says they are not sore just a little bigger and she doesn't seem to have gained any weight. She had worse cramps than normal with her period and it seemed to last most of the week so hopefully she will adjust to that. She is still very hopeful that her skin will keep improving.
It has been 6.5 months and now my daughter realizes that the yasmin has made her depressed. Although it did help with her skin to some extent she just had a big break out out of nowhere so that doesn't help. She feels so much better when she is on the placebo pills. Her mood is improved and she is happy. The day she goes back on the yasmin she is sad again so she will be going off it. So sad this did not work and now worried about her skin going crazy as she comes off of it.

WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY!

So I'm 20 and I decided to begin Yasmin for my moderate acne a month ago. I am just starting pack two tomorrow. My skin has never been so good EVER. Honestly from day one it worked for me with absolutely so initial break out (well so far anyway!) I have got the odd spot here and there but they are very easy to deal with that I don't complain at all! This is completely worth it! I must admit I did get a few headaches at the beginning maybe first two to three weeks but other than that it's been fantastic! Definitely worth a try if your struggling like I have for the past 5 years! I've tried EVERYTHING, topical treatments, anti biotics (which worked for a year then acne came back), dianette was no good for me but Yasmin by far has been clearing my acne remarkably!

UPDATE!! So I'm into my second pack and on week 6. I did have a small flare up of maybe 3 or 4 spots, not big ones though in the past week, but I am hoping this is just part of an initial breakout! I'll keep updating guys!
UPDATE 2 - I'm now finished pack 4! Skin is very clear! I think now I would call my skin "normal". I still get maybe I spot or two within a month but just a small one along the jawline or maybe close to my hairline on my forehead but literally gone within two days! I am very happy with my results so far and I hope that it continues to clear even more!! My hyperpigmentation is also fading too a lot!! Especially on my cheeks where I used to break out and since taking yasmin I have never ever got a spot there since! Couldn't be happier!

Research first!

I had acne when I was a teenager and it didn't improve with time. I tried antibiotics, creams, gels... Nothing seemed to work.A dermatologist told me to try the pill, and in my desperation to clear my skin, I did. Worst mistake ever. I took yasmin and the skin improved, cleared, but I stopped after 3 months and the acne came back MUCH worse! It was so bad it affected me psychologically, I was in uni at the time and I really struggled to leave home and go to class. I hated my face. It was even swollen by the amount of spots! Then I took roaccutane. It's a really strong treatment, it can affect you organs and made me depressed, my skin was dramatically dry, I got my first wrinkles (yay!), my lips were so dry that something they would cut when I smiled. Even so, it worked, my skin was much better at the end, clear. I was left with lots of scars but no marks. After stoping the treatment, a bit of acne came back. Not as bad as before, but it did. The doctor told me that my acne was hormonal so it could only be controlled with the pill. I started taking Dretinelle (basically same as yasmin, which I didn't know). I've been on it for years, and I'm now going off it. I'm stopping today. I'm gonna take some food suplements and look after my diet really well, and go back to topical creams. My skin might not be great but the pill isn't worth it. Plus it stopped working for my skin. The pill has so many risks, ended up giving me palpitations and arrhythmia, and very strong headaches. My sex drive is gone. And something that not many people know, is that even though Yasmin helps clear the skin while taking it, it has an ingredient that makes your skin go wild once you stop. Google it. But honestly, don't take it.

Yasmin

About to start my break week of Month 3 (so 7 days until month 4), and my skin is still not clear. The first month my skin was really smooth (am also taking Tetralysal and started that a month before Yasmin), month two my skin became extremely bumpy with skin coloured bumps, and now my skin is a little less bumpy but I'm starting to get quite a few whiteheads and getting a lot more spots than in the first month and my skin is still quite oily. Fingers crossed things improve in month 4.... Anyone else have a similar experience?

I have the same experience. I'm on my 2nd month and have gained almost 5kg. Acne got worse than first month :(

its good

"I've been on Yasmin for 3 years, and I have absolutely loved it. 3 day light periods, significantly cleared up my acne, lost weight, my breasts looked great! , no mood swings. no any side effects!

Comments

Doesn't work in the long run

I started taking these pills and switched over brands, all with Drospirenone for about 8 years (Jasmin, Jasminiq, Femelle and Yaxibelle). It was only for birth control, I got some black or whiteheads from time to time but nothing serious. After I stopped taking them I had an adult acne, awful and painful, product of the prolonged use of this type of pills (my gyn told me so). I would say that as long as you take them your skin and hair would look great, it's an amazing contraceptive but after you stop taking the pill all hell can break loose... Now I've tried many natural remedies (vitamins, masks, etc), and finally decided to try another contraceptives with another component diferent than Drospirenone, so I don't have the same reaction when I want to be off the pill. Obviously, it depends on each person, but it quite a common issue with drospirenone, so if you're taking this and want to check, talk to your doctor. If you have any questions send me a message, I'm starting the log for the new pills....

Give it a try

So I'm 20 I have had acne since I was 10 years old. I've been on all the forms of antibiotics available from the NHS for acne, all topical treatments and i've been on Roaccutane/Isotretinoin twice and did a half course so was on that for a year and a half split up into different time periods. I've used all the types of contraception injection, patch & three different types of the pill. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me, ever. I honestly really advise trying this; you might be apprehensive reading reviews because every person is different and has different re actions to pills but if you have cystic or bad acne and are looking for a solution this is it. You have to stick to it though; skin gets a little bit worse before it gets better but then it really clears up :)

How long was the period it got bad for and did it happen straight away?? How long after going on this till ur skin cleared up X

Works for me 😊

I am a 24 year old woman & suffer from horrible hormonal break outs. I get sore, swollen, cystic spots around my chin area & they can last weeks & weeks. I was prescribed duac a few years ago & this worked fine for me until about 9 months ago when it stopped working (antibiotics can become less effective after long use) so I went back to my doctors & was told about yasmin. I decided to give it a go despite the mixed reviews, & I am so glad I did! My skin is so much better! I got one large spot a couple of weeks into starting Yasmin, but this was normal for me as this is when I would get all these aggressive spots. However the spot went within a few days which is really quick for me, & I can honestly say I haven't had another cystic spot since. I get the odd little one sometimes, but they're so small you can barely see them! I used to be on microgynon30 before I changed to yasmin, & I have had no weight changes, nothing has really changed other than much better, less oily skin. I do get a bit of a headache as im coming off my period, but this is quite normal. I also feel a little different down below, I know it sounds strange but I smell a little different, not in a bad way, ive just noticed a slight change. This is obviously just because my hormones have changed 😊 I would definitely give this a go :) I didn't suffer an initial break out but I know some women can, so give it time to work. I noticed better skin after about 4 weeks on yasmin, & my skin is still clear today.. Good luck! Acne is such a horrible thing to live with! X

Since taking Yasmin the first week did you also got any downsides, such a more pimples?? Or did it immediately improved

Cleared my acne - no side affects over 7 years!

I was prescribed Yasmin by my Dr at a relatively young age.. my acne cleared completely and I was on this pill just short of 7 years!! I started experiencing irregular bleeding so my Nurse advised that I may have grown out of my acne by now and to try a different contraceptive pill. I tried two different pills and OMG MY ACNE COME BACK WITH REVENGE! It has had an absolutely devastating affect on my confidence and the Nurse has now put me back on Yasmin (after a 6 month break). I'm now onto my third month and it is slowly disappearing, a lot slower than before though! Yasmin is the only pill / product that works for me.

Comments

Might cure your acne and cost your life

I was on Yasmin for 7 years and it cured my acne 100%, but I could have died because of it. Hormonal treatments might seem like the easy and fast solution for an acne cure, but trust me - it's not worth it. Besides horrible side effects of depression, weight gain, mood swings, headaches etc, this is one of the worst birth control pills out there that can give you blood clots. I got pulmonary embolism last year in both of my lungs because of Yasmin and had to take blood thinners for 6 months. (No genetic tendencies in my family.) I have two friends who also got pulmonary embolism because of Yasmin. I am now on Finacea topical gel and Zinc which work great. I know this is a short review, and if you have any questions write me a message.

What are thge symptoms of pulmonary embolisms? Did you get migraines beforehand?
That's exactly why I have decided to stop taking it. What where your symptoms?

Yasmin is the worst thing to happen to me

Do not use this pill. I suffered from acne and my doctor put me on yasmin to help it as i thought it was good for resolving acne. i've been on it for 4 months and I have never been so miserable and depressed. My acne worsened and continues to worsen now, I've never experienced acne this bad it's ruining my entire life I have now been put on to roaccutane to sort it out once and for all. Yasmin has resulting in me crying all the time (once a day), eating ridiculous amounts and severe bloating. I am now looking to convert to a different pill, Yasmin has changed me so much for the worse and I've never regretted something so much in my life. Please think carefully before starting this pill.

Long review

I've been on Yasmin (brand name) for 5 months now, starting my 6th pack today. Yasmin definitely has side effects, which is to be expected as it is a hormonal contraceptive. About me: I'm 19 years old, 106 lbs, and have been on & off of the pill for the last 4 years to regulate my periods as well as clear up my skin (mild acne). Anyways Yasmin should be used with caution, especially if you smoke. It can cause some serious stuff to happen to your body. If you are prone to depression, anxiety and the like, I would absolutely NOT recommend this pill. Yasmin has a high estrogen content which in turn can lead to severe emotional issues if you aren't able to properly control yourself. Personally my experience with this pill has been tolerable. At times it has made me extremely angry/irritated to the point where I could blow up on anybody for no reason, and it has also made me feel very low and unsatisfied with myself. The key to dealing with this is knowing that there is nothing wrong with you emotionally and it is only a side effect of the pill - after all it is synthetic hormones! Hormones = feelings. Lol. You have to let yourself know that's all it is. As for treating acne, I believe Yasmin is quite effective. I didn't have any huge initial breakouts or anything (but I have also been using BP for the past year or so). I would recommend you to treat your skin with some type of topical that your skin agrees with before you start any type of hormonal treatment. There is always the risk of an initial breakout, and you really want to avoid that. I started on a pill called Ortho-Cept last year, and had an initial breakout so awful that there is still a few permanent marks & shallow indentations on my face after a year and a half (I was not using any topicals at that time). Well that's all I got, hope this helps. :-)

Hi, this was really helpful, thank you! I too have been using BP for a while but am getting very frustrated with the fact that it never manages to clear my acne and I have a huge breakout a week before my period. Did you have the same and that's why you went on Yasmin whilst using BP too?

scary

Physical side effects were manageable but still unpleasant. I had diarrhea often, strong headaches that made my eyes hurt and I couldn't bear to listen to any sound, my forehead would throb in pain. Often I would feel numbness in my left arm and left leg. Both legs would hurt and shake while trying to sleep, kinda like restless legs. Couple of times I felt a chest tightness, like losing my breath. I'm a skinny woman and all of sudden I had bloated belly and was retaining water even though my diet stayed the same (I suffer from celiac sprue so I follow a gluten-free diet). I felt nausea everyday. My skin seemed to get a better texture though but I had a breakout of cystic acne that seemed to get worse. Anyway I feel defeated that I was forced to quit this pill, unfortunately I became severely depressed and tried to commit suicide after 3weeks on Yasmin. I was crying and feeling miserable without any explanation, I just wanted to die. I know a lot of people will say that I should have kept taking it for 3months to see results but I'm sure that in my case I would end up dead if I kept on. As soon as I quit taking it I became my normal self, sure I still have acne but at least I'm not an emotional physical rollercoaster. It didn't work for me but maybe it will work for you.

Good for you, I think this pill has many side effects that aren't well known to people. It would have been really bad for you to continue for 3 months probably.

Don't do it..

I started using yasmin when I WAS 18 and used it for 3 years , with short breaks.. 2 years ago I stopped it forever and at first I experienced the worst side effects ever, but even so, stopping WAS THE BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. SIDE EFFECT that i experienced: -while ON yasmin: BLOATING BAD CELLULITE ( every time I stopped them, a week after the cellulite disapear, so don't tell me there's no connection) LOW LIBIDO SPOTING -The period after STOPPING them: BAD ACNE INGROWN HAIR ON MY LEGS (I had marks on my legs for 1 year, it was horrible) IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION FOR MONTHS THINNING HAIR HORMONAL IMBALANCE Now, after 2 years of stopping, my body finally recovered from this POISON , I still have mild to moderate acne, but, otherwise I FEEL GREAT :)

Popular Oral