Veltin Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Veltin

Veltin Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel

Mid 30's female cystic acne

I have been using veltin for 1.5 months and I am not thrilled with the results. I have worse cystic acne breakouts which I do not attribute to the medicine but it certainly has not helped. The texture of my skin is very smooth as compared to pre-veltin, aside from the ugly acne. Having read many reviews I hope that my face is still in the "getting worse before it gets better" phase. I am mid 30's and have not had acne like this since high school. It started with one or two a month around my period and then, less than a year later, it was happening everyday. They leave scars every time so now my once beautiful skin is dotted with dark red marks. 🤞�🤞�🤞�

Hi, I am having the problem as you do. how's your skin condition right now?
Mo

Significant improvement over OTC medications

I started getting cystic acne as an adult about two years ago, and no non-prescription remedies that I've tried have made any difference. So I went to the doctor and he prescribed this to me. I only apply it at bedtime, as directed, and apply moisturizer with SPF 30 sunscreen during the day. I can say that I noticed a difference within a week -- no new cystic outbreaks. I'm about one month in now, and my skin has cleared up noticeably. I still get pimples occasionally, but, they are very small vs. the huge ones I used to get, and they go away quickly. My doc suggested that I also use sunscreen at home, even if I'm not going outside. He said it would take at least 3 months to see any real difference, if it works, but so far I think it is helping out.

I started getting cystic acne on my face and back shortly after I graduated college. I tried all sorts of cleansers and creams. Prescription and non. I got tired of no results and started doing my own research. I found a lot of articles linking cystic acne to dairy. I decided to stop consuming dairy to see if it would work.. Within a month my face and back had completely cleared up! I know that you're experiencing great results with Veltin, but wanted to share my experience in case you ever wanted to try it! :)

Not Working

I've used it correctly for one month now and I'm still getting break-outs (so it didn't even at the very least stop more acne from growing) and it hasn't even begun to clear the acne that was already there. For $500 I would expect this topical to be more effective and aggressive, but it's pretty weak and not worth the price in any way shape or form. I've used over-the-counter products that have cleared my acne, or at the very least stopped more acne from happening, in 2 weeks yet this $500 prescription hasn't done anything at all in one month and needs 6 months to work? 6 months? I hate to break it to you but if your acne starts improving FINALLY after 3-6 months, it's because it cleared up on it's own, again, finally, after all that time. Had nothing to do with this extremely slow acting, ineffective topical. Would have rather spend $500 on something more aggressive, effective, and of better quality. If I cared to wait 6 months just for my acne to clear up, I would have done it for free by simply waiting.

Very helpful

Clindamycin Phosphate is a very powerful topical treatment. At first, I used the lotion form but switched to solution form because the lotion was a bit heavy. The solution gets absorbed by the skin within a few seconds and helps reduce the size of large zits. The only thing bad about this solution is the fact that it makes you look really shiny/oily/greasy.

What to expect in week 1

Ive been using this for about a week and it has improved my acne, not completely. It did irritate and dry out my skin, especially my nostrils, but using oil on the dry spots helped. Its only the first week so i dont have much more to say then that.

My dermatologist told me to avoid the outter corners of my nose

Used for a year now - good, but not great

Easy to use Doesn't have an offensive smell Heals scars effectively Causes dry and irritated skin frequently Doesn't stop all breakouts I've been using Veltin gel for about a year now. I never had really severe acne, just a few mild breakouts from time to time, but then last summer I really began to break out while traveling abroad. It was awful - lots of gross red pimples all over my cheeks (nothing cystic, however). I took care of it very badly, and when the summer ended and I went to visit my dermatologist, they prescribed me Veltin as the last resort before turning to Accutane, a process which both I and my parents didn't want to go through. It at once began to clear up all my breakouts and slowly but surely healed my (terrible) scars all over my cheeks. A year later, I can say that my skin is MUCH better. The scars are almost completely faded, and I only break out on occasion with small, manageable pimples. HOWEVER, after a year of use, I do still break out! I will have totally clear skin for a few days (maybe 4-5), and then suddenly two or three small pimples will surface. It is hormonal - often its around when my period starts. Still, thought, this is annoying. I also still experience severe dryness from time to time, which really scares me. I don't want to be treating my skin badly and letting age too much. I'm only a teenager. Also, just a FYI, I've found that Aloe gel burns when I put it on Veltin treated skin. Just so you know, my daily routine consists of cleaning my face with a sensitive skin makeup remover towlette and then applying veltin. My derm actually recommended that I apply a coat in the morning and in the night, and use extra to spot treat trouble areas. I sometimes do this, but always notice increased redness and irritation which takes a few days to subside. I never wash my face with any irritating washes - this only makes it worse! Overall, I recommend Veltin. I know my skin would be much worse without it. I am also lucky enough to receive it for free due to my insurance. However, just know that redness and pealing skin comes hand in hand with the gel, and that it won't solve all your skin problems.

Worked for me

Easy to apply No offensive smell Effective Can irritate skin (itchy) Can cause skin to peel Takes time to work I've had slight-mild acne on my face for maybe 7 years, and severe acne on my back for 6. This is the only product I've used that's worked well for me. After using this for 1 and a half months, the acne on my face has cleared up significantly (one pimple left...), and this has helped with acne scars. As for my back, I can say all the acne is gone, Hallelujah! No more growing bumps. The downside is that the gel left my back with some dark rash spots which will hopefully fade over time. For my back, the acne did get a lot worse with the gel before it got better. I used this while taking Minocycline 2x a day.

Guest Kristen
Guest Kristen

Seems to be helping so far with very little dryness Pricey and not covered by insurance at all thank you BCBS they don't cover anything but my doctor gave me a coupon which knocked $100 off its the cheapest option I've found so far

Comments

Makes your skin nice and soft Super expensive This is the greatest anti acne gel I've used. It works and doesn't dry out my skin too bad, just make sure you don't wash your face more than twice a day and you're golden. But I have BCBS and they quit covering it PERIOD. I went to the pharmacist for a refill (the tube will last six months easily) and he said my insurance wouldn't cover it, but I could pay 365$ for it. Yeah no. I'm hoping the alternative my dermatologist is giving me will be just as good.

Comments

It does make the skin a little smoother. It does clear some acne. Pretty expensive. Takes a long time to see benefits of acne clearance. Did nothing for my black heads. Made my skin very oily. I really wanted this product to work for me. I have been to the dermatologist for the past 10 years and have tried everything. I have acne and rosacea so finding a product that works for both without irritating the other feels nearly impossible. I was prescribed Veltin 2 months ago. I had been using Clindamycin 1% gel nightly on my face followed by Metrogel in the morning (Aczone topical for my rosacea flare ups periodically) and Benzaclin for my body acne. I know that seems like a lot of products, but because of my skins sensitivities I can not use benzoyl peroxide on my face because of my rosacea. Anyway, when I went to the dermatologist they prescribed me Doryx and Veltin to replace my existing regime. I was very hopeful although I have tried all ingredients in these products countless times. I knew that the Doryx would take some time to work so I didn't mind being patient. I used Retin-a and tretinoin creams in the past and knew that the first month is the worst with the IB. My skin became VERY oily in the first few weeks of Veltin, which I expected. I use moisturizer every morning and night to help with the sebum production... but two months later it has not improved the oiliness. It's extremely embarrassing with oily, red, inflamed skin. I apply Veltin as prescribed and it left me with a permanent red color on my face and my rosacea flare ups increased. Two months later, it has done little to improve my acne (some pustules are gone) and nothing to clear the blackheads on my skin. Many people say that this is not long enough to wait but having been on acne medication for two years up to this point, I can no longer afford for these products not to work for me (even insurance copays for these products are expensive). I think it's great that people have the patience to wait 6 months for this product to work. Would be good for JUST acne, not combination skin like mine. I just can't afford to use this anymore!

Try solodyn. It fixed everything for me and I have very sensitive skin!
Try solodyn. It fixed everything for me and I have very sensitive skin!
Guest David
Guest David

-It's a clear gel, so it spreads easily -It has a very tolerable smell -It contains two acne-fighting ingredients -It only has to be used at night -It will smooth out your skin -If you have insurance, it's possible to get a 60 gram tube for free with a discount card -A 60 gram tube can cost a few hundred bucks if you don't have insurance -It takes a couple months to see significant acne improvement -Some peeling will occur for the first couple weeks -This product makes your skin A LOT more sensitive to sunlight, so use sunscreen with a high SPF Veltin consists of 1.2% clindamycin, an antibiotic that kills acne bacteria, and 0.025% tretinoin, a derivative of vitamin A that speeds up skin cell turnover. I've been using it for about two and a half months and am very happy with the results so far. At my checkup a couple weeks ago, my dermatologist said she expected the Veltin to really 'take off'� from that point. The clindamycin is very useful for killing inflammatory acne, and the tretinoin is very useful for killing whiteheads and blackheads, although there is some overlap of effectiveness between the two. I got my tube for FREE at the pharmacy using my health insurance and a discount card from my dermatologist's office. The first positive result you will notice is smoother skin texture, as the tretinoin will help to resurface your skin. In fact, that active ingredient is often used as an anti-aging product to reduce fine lines, so I like to think of Veltin as MORE than an acne treatment. It's very important to use a noncomedogenic moisturizer, either right before or right after applying this medication, because your skin will peel for a couple weeks until it adapts. DO NOT apply this medicine twice a day, and DO NOT cake it on, because a little goes a long way. Doing either of these actions will not clear your acne any faster, so it would be just a waste of product and could irritate your face. After about two months, I got significantly less acne; the acne that I did get was significantly less severe; and the acne that I did get healed significantly faster and left less postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. My advice is to use it every night in addition to a quality moisturizer, like Cetaphil or CeraVe; wash your face morning and night with a very GENTLE cleanser before applying Veltin, like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser; and STICK WITH THE ROUTINE. Keep it simple, consistent, and good luck!

Guest Lindsay
Guest Lindsay

Clears acne Evens out skin tone Fragrance free Very chemically Expensive Takes a long time to work I remember reading the reviews about this product and being turned off to the idea of it taking 6-8 months to work. Now, 6 months later I am very happy. It took my skin a couple weeks to get used to it, but after the burning and the peeling at first, it was an easy ride. If your gonna use this product I say make sure you have insurance, print coupons, and be patient. This stuff has cleared up my skin so well and my scars and I am very happy. It's not a miracle product though because I still get a few pimples, but definitely I say give it a try.

Guest Amber
Guest Amber

none -my skin PEELED -made my forehead breakout with little bumps everywhere -my skin was super sensitive, red, and inflamed -did not stop my breakouts -it had to damage my skin I have suffered from acne for as long as I can remember. I don't have insurance, so when I had the opportunity to go to the dermo I was ecstatic! They gave a prescription for veltin. I went to the pharmacy, and because I do not have insurance this veltin costs 300.00!!! I truly believed that this veltin was the answer to all my prayers! PLUS I thought because a doctor told me it would help it WOULD! This product did ABSOLUTELY nothing for me. Actually, it made my skin 1000 times worse! It was like I was shedding my skin and my forehead brokeout in little bumps all over my! Now I am trying to help my skin rebuild to the way it was before veltin. :( btw. if i could rate it a negative I would :(

Guest Sarah
Guest Sarah

-Helps clear away little bumps almost instantly -Severely dry and flaky skin in patches -After over a month consistently , no major difference in acne I have been using this for over a month, and it kind of depresses me that it hasn't worked. It has cleared a bunch of little bumps that I had on my forehead, but if anything, my acne has gotten worse since starting it. On top of this, I have flaky patches of skin all over my chin. I plan on sticking with it for a little longer just in case it hasn't kicked in yet, but as of right now, I'm very disappointed.

Guest B
Guest B

Works fast! Drying and can be very irritating to skin Hi I love this product my dermatologist tried several different medications for my adult acne and ii had to say this medication has worked fast! It's only been two weeks and I'm seeing result already! I have bad breakouts and my face just looked a mess but it's gradually clearing now. You have to use sunscreen for sure! It's pricey but well worth it!

Guest Ruby
Guest Ruby

Gentle and does not dry out skin like tretionoin, benzoyl peroxide or salacylic acid. Started seeing a difference within 3-5 days of consecutive use. Extremely expensive if you do not have insurance I have been using Obagi Enhance and Condition which includes tretinoin 0.5% topical cream. It worked magic because it is an anti-aging and anti-acne system in one. It lightened my skin and scars and made my skin look youthful. Unfortunately, after 1 1/2 years of use, it wasn't as effective anymore. I started to break out on my cheeks again. I saw my dermatologist and he recommended Veltin. He gave me samples and voila! I started seeing a huge difference after 3-5 days. The acne stopped producing. I did use Veltin in combination with Obagi, minus the tretinoin. I used the Veltin in lieu of the tretinoin and it worked perfectly. Veltin is to be applied every night only and what I did was mix a pea size of it and a pea size of hydroquinone, which is step 3 or 4 of the Obagi Enhance and Condition System. This step helps with both the acne and the acne scars. Fingers crossed -- it's been 2 weeks now and still no new acne!!! Yippee!!! : )

Comments

- gentler than other Retin-A type products I have used - redness/irritation I found this product to be the most tolerable Retin-A type product I've used (and I've been prescribed many!) I'm not 100% sure if this has really helped clear up any of my acne but my face does feel smoother in the morning when I wake up and used it the night before. And it's surely not making it any worse, so I keep using it. It's expensive, but my dermatologist has been giving me samples which last me in between appointments.

Guest Jerome
Guest Jerome

Effective Results Not overly drying Great Texture Works better then Ziana Lasts Forever Inexpensive Must be used consistently for results Many people may just say this is the same thing as Ziana, so whats the big deal? No, Ziana is extremely trying, sticky and terribly sented. I was on Ziana for several months and saw absolutely no results and also had extremely dry skin. I returned to my dermatologist who re- perscribed me with veltin, she explained it was a new drug and had a much better texture than Ziana and would have less drying results. I highly trust my dermatologist who is a harvard medical graduate and well knew that she would not perscribe a drug that was not effective. I was simply amazed, she at the time perscribed the veltin with solodyn to give the treatment an early boost. I use both the cera ve am & pm lotions, the pm when I use the veltin. I stopped using the solodyn several months ago and the veltin has shown tremendous results. All of my cystic acne has completely vanished, my breakouts are now gone. The only acne that is left is some minor whiteheads and an occasional pimple. I just returned to the dermatologist yesterday who also in addition perscribed me aczone to help speed up the removal of some scarring from the acne. This for me was the drug, it worked perfectly. I would recommend this to anyone, just because its new dont reject it.

Guest Katrina
Guest Katrina

Odorless Occasional dry skin I'm African American with normal/oily skin, I tend to get cystic acne on my cheeks when the seasons begin to transition. Its only been a month and a week and my cystic acne has gone away completely. Only problem is I have small fine bumps on my face. I'm giving it more time, life goes on Use a pea sized amount, anything more than that will make your skin excessively oily. Its the exact same thing as ziana gel expect ziana carries an odor tends to be sticky and is yellow veltin is clear odorless and non sticky. Try doing a colon cleanser if your cheeks break out alot and a liver detox for your forehead.

Comments

My skin is 99% clear. I still have the occasional small blemish, but my skin looks better now that it has in years! My skin is also softer than it's ever been. Affordable. My doctor gave me a prescription card and that combined with my insurance means I only pay $10 for 1 tube, which lasts over 4 months! It took several months for me to really see results with Veltin. I would have several days/a week of clear skin, thinking that I was finally clearing up and then I would have another breakout. It has been 4 months and I can definitely tell a positive difference at this point. As with any acne topical, Veltin can dry your skin out and cause redness/peeling, especially in the beginning & with dry weather. I was skeptical initially because it took so long to work (I had gone way too long without seeking help for my acne, so I was very impatient). Now that I have 4 months under my belt, I can say that this works! I love the way it makes my skin feel. I am glad that my doctor recommended Veltin. I was leary of using a new product (this just came on the market last year), but it seems to work great. If you have patience, give it a try!

Popular Topical