Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A) reviews

3.5/5 - 1451 reviews

Tretinoin (Retin-A, Retisol-A)

Tretinoin (0.01%), Parsol MCX (7.5%) and Parsol 1789 (2%) SPF 15.

Butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, glycerin, imidurea/parabens, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, light mineral oil, phenyl trimethicone, polysorbate 60, purified water USP, sodium hydroxide 10%, sorbitan monosterate, and stearyl alcohol.

Good stuff
Reviewed on October 13, 2017

Tretinoin cream works pretty well for me when I’ve used it. I’m fortunate not to get much peeling skin and redness from it- just some dryness, but I don’t always use the the product straight up on my skin (I mix it with a bit of moisturizer if my skin already feels a bit dry). It never cured my acne completely but when I’ve used it I’ve noticed a big difference in the number and severity of my acne lesions- enough for me to really recognize the difference in my skin.

Mild acne and sensitive skin
Reviewed on September 16, 2017

I used Retin A 0.05% cream for two weeks and got clear skin after one week. I didn't have harmful effects, except that my face got darker and red, even though I took every precaution (sunscreen/hat). I live in a very sunny place, so definitely not worth it.

Strong, works fine
Reviewed on August 16, 2017

I have a higher dose prescription for this, and have been using it nearly every night for 4 months. It initially dries your skin out very badly, and then within a few days the pimples are pretty much gone. However, I found that after a month or so it stopped working and was pretty much pointless. I wouldn't recommend it for those who have moderate to severe acne.

Don't regret
Reviewed on July 24, 2017

I was prescribed Tretinoin .025 cream in November, the cream almost completely cleared my skin within the first two weeks with just a few tiny spots. However, lots of redness in the cheeks, and dry lips came along with this. The cream worked very well for the first 8 months but I started breaking out a lot in the summer for the past 4 months and it's just not working for my hormonal acne since I'm a 17-year-old a boy I have a lot of that around my mouth and cheekbones in this season. I think the cream works well in the winter and the gel formula will be better in the hotter months. during this time on the medication, my forehead, nose and temple areas have been completely clear. this is a good product but not for me so I will be changing now, I don't regret going on this and I recommend you try it for yourself.

Stopped working
Reviewed on June 18, 2017

I was prescribed tretonoin .025 cream in October, and it took about a month to kick in. I had the usual drying and peeling for the first couple weeks, then my skin started to really clear up. I have terrible hormonal acne around my moth and chin, and I enjoyed about 5 months of clear skin with this cream. Around april, my skin randomly started breaking out again in the same places it used to. I got the stronger 0.05 prescription about a month ago, and my skin has only gotten worse. I am also on ortho try cyclen lo birth control, and that is supposed to help but it isn't. Is anyone having an issue with this cream not working anymore?

by Jonathan Westell on 07/24/2017 09:50
I had the same issue, I think in the summer months the lighter formula the gel version of tretinoin will work well.
by Nicoleeee25 on 07/29/2017 05:33
Ortho tri cyclen mAde me break out terribly!! I went on it for acne and had to switch because I had so many cysts from it!
by Brooke armistead on 08/16/2017 03:33
the same thing happened to me i used it for a year and it worked great but then after a while it stopped working.. ugh
Stick with it!
Reviewed on May 25, 2017

My doctor prescribed me birth control and tretinoin .025% around 2.5 months ago. I have been using tretinoin every night pretty consistently besides skipping a night here and there to not let my skin get too "used to it". I was pretty much traveling overseas all of last month, and my I tried my very best to stick to the same regimen. Fortunately, my skin did not freak out! I was in humid and warmer locations-- which definitely benefited my skin along with the tretinoin. While abroad, my acne cleared up and my face was SPOTLESS. I went from having severe cystic acne along my jawline and a few on my cheeks to having nothing! The only thing that's left are hyperpigmentation. Since I've been back (3 weeks) in the states, the transition has impacted my skin a little. I've been getting a few cysts on the lower part of my face, but they don't last too long. I think my body is slowly adjusting to the climate, food, and schedule overall. I am praying it gets back to as clear as it was abroad. My mom has been complimenting my skin every day saying it doesn't look as red or bumpy anymore. I can also see how flat my cheeks are compared to how it was before the medication. I can't tell if it's birth control, tretinoin, or the combination of both working. Either way, it's a positive outcome! Two months on it, and I'm seeing improvement. The number one thing I've been working on is to keep my schedule as consistent as possible. Sometimes sleeping later than usual will mess up my skin. I can't wait to see the results in two more months! I heard it takes atleast four months to see full results.

6 Weeks in
Reviewed on May 19, 2017

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but I know that when I first started treatment I was hungry for accounts of other people's progress. I am now 6 weeks in to using Tretinoin cream 0.025% every night before bed, and am starting to notice significant progress. I did experience an initial breakout starting around week 3, and I knew that it was the purge phase not a bad reaction because the breakout was confined to the area I already broke out in (my cheeks and chin) and the skin around the new breakouts was looking better than before. Now, I only have 3 newish spots, and they are all drying and on their way out. The pesky dark marks acne leaves behind are starting to clear up! My skin looks airbrushed like it hasn't in so long, and the end is in sight! I am in no way all the way clear yet, but I feel like give it another two months, and my skin will have done a major turn around. If you're in the initial breakout phase or just starting out, have patience, and if you are worried about a reaction you're having to the cream, call your doctor-- they'll be able to tell you if it's a bad reaction or just the purge.

I also wanted to say that to deal with the initial breakout I've been using Lush brand masks, in particular cosmetic warrior (smells bad but so worth it), and catastrophe cosmetic. They both really helped me to get through the rough patch.

Good luck guys! I hope this helps.

Is IT WORKING or is it NOT?
Reviewed on May 9, 2017

I'm a female student, almost 15 years old and I HAVE REALLY TERRIBLE ACNE. A lot of acne scars, deep clogged pores and freakin loads of whiteheads. Decided to opt for the retin-a treatment. I did some research before getting myself two small tubes (0.025% strength) for $16. It would have been $50+ for already two tubes if I were to get it from a doctor here in Singapore. So I used a Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser recommended by some people here before waiting for another 25/30mins and applying the tretinoin. Applied moisturiser for the first two nights before realising that it does nothing. [BTW, applying the cream was like applying a regular cream. No stinging/irritation. This continued for almost a week where I DO NOT EXPERIENCE REDNESS, PEELING/BREAKOUTS LIKE OTHERS CLAIM TO. My skin was still the same. I could also be outside with the sun facing at me without experiencing terrible sunburn and no sunblock/moisturiser with SPF is needed at all! What is happening? Is there something wrong with my skin or is it the RETIN A? [BTW, the retin-a isn't expired, the seller who sold it to me got it recently from somewhere in THAILAND]

by alwayzj on 06/09/2017 03:20
the tube you got is not strong enough, you need to go see your doc and get a prescription for .10 strength, and I got the gel it is strong and your face will definitely peel and look BAD for several weeks, your face will be very sensitive and every time you apply the gel it will STING. my face look horrible right now i'm on week 5 but I can tell the medicine is doing what its suppose to do.
Tretinoin has prevented my acne from worsening but not much else
Reviewed on April 29, 2017

I have been using tretinoin on and off since 6th grade. I have only used 0.025% and while it has prevented my skin from getting much worse, it hasn't actually helped get rid of my acne. I am now a high school freshman and I think I'll give accutane a whack after trying every product under the sun.

Side Effects massive and no clearing
Reviewed on April 2, 2017

Hi everyone!

I am writing on behalf of my 16 year old daughter who would never in a million years write a review herself! But I have to say that this product has been the bane of my existence for the last year+. But I have a very head strong daughter who somehow has it in her head that she should keep using it.

The background is that like most teens, around 13, my beautiful fair skinned (blue eyes, blond hair) daughter started breaking out. We immediately started trying everything, first Proactive for a while but there was literally no change at all with that stuff. After about 2 months on Proactive, she stopped altogether and just started using bar soap. One day she asked me to go to the dermatologist - I think she had been talking to someone at school about it. So we went and they prescribed Retin A. I was 100% against a prescription of any type but I was better with a topical prescription than an oral antibiotic. she started with Tretinoin 0.025%. Again, there was no visible change in her acne but there was a visible change in her face. Her pores all over her face got much larger, so that I could see them from 5+ feet away and I started noticing scarring which, as a mom, I absolutely hate to see.

Around that same time, my younger daughter, who was now 13, began to get acne as well but had heard of another product at her school called Ninja Skincare. As kids do, she wanted to do what her friends were doing so we bought it. It was very affordable and had incredible customer service so I was pretty impressed. Her acne went away in a heartbeat. Literally within a month it was entirely gone. Obviously, I was pressing my older daughter to try it too but she wasn’t having it. She blindly believed that the doctors should know the best and wanted to go the route of the dermatologist.

Sorry - long story short, we continued with Retin-A because that is what the dr told her to do. But the doctor didn’t tell us about the side effects even after we asked about the pores and the scarring. I should have done more of my homework. The breaking point was when we went on a family trip to Mexico over Thanksgiving and even with sunscreen, her face turned BEET red to the point where strangers on the beach came up to me and pointed it out and suggested I get her out of the sun. I had no idea what was happening. We went home and iced her face, put aloe vera on it and her face remained burnt for over a week, sensitive to the touch. I felt so bad for her. Needless to say, the beach trip was completely ruined for her which sucked but at least she finally agreed that Retin-A was a bad choice for her.

Now after about 4 months on Ninja, she is entirely clear and her scars from that period are starting to face with the help of Salicylic acid every day. I have read all of the reviews here and am happy that some people got relief from this product but I honestly don’t understand why it worked for some people without these horrific side effects while for others it doesn’t? I guess everyone has their own sky types. I am just glad we are finished with the prescriptions and dermatologists!

by LauraLeesa on 04/19/2017 21:42
Hi has your daughter experienced any improvement or found remedies for your skin texture and pores? I endured the same exact unfortunate experience with retin-a. It's tough to watch skin transform for the worse when we were only trying to be pro-active and make positive changes.