Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Brand: Tetracycline

Tetracycline Oral Antibiotic

It didn't work, & I developed side effects. Wouldn't recommend.

Been on this for a while (roughly 7/8 months). Didn't experience any major side effects like others did...however some things have been happening to me which now make a lot of sense. I was prescribed this for the texture of my skin. It has been damaged by acne and other topicals causing an unsightly uneven texture, 'Orange peel skin' aka horrible enlarged pores. I didn't really notice any side effects at first. However when I stopped using the treatment after like 3 months, I'd get little yellow pimples scattered on my face. The worst was that it spread all over my neck like an allergic reaction. I've also been getting bowel problems, mainly diarrhoea. I think it has given me food intolerances like others have experienced. So, I've decided to stop using it. The only reason I used it was to help the surface of my skin. It has NOT done that in any way. I wouldn't recommend it.

TOXIC! Yes i want to scare you! Dont take the risk. I got tinnitus

Dont take this it is toxic to your body! I used it for 5 weeks. Now i have had severe tinnitus for over a week. I didnt break out as much as normally when i took, but IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK! I took it because i thought i wouldnt get any side effects, which i didnt for the first 5 weeks but then i suddenly woke up with tinnitus, and i have always taken care of my ears and never went to concert. IT'S A SYSTEMIC treatment, it affects ALL parts of your body! The antibiotic will react wherever it can beside your skin. That is the danger. I know I'm trying to scare you, and that is because you have no idea of the consequences before you have the side effects yourself. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. Acne will eventually go away but the side effects can be permanent! Even if it cleared my skin completely, with the tinnitus i have right now, it is not worth it! I dont have any silence, my ears are hurting, i cant rest or sleep properly. Use topical drugs, not systemic drugs like this! Im a medical student and i researched the drug a lot and i thought the chances of serious side effects were minimal. I went and talked with my GP. I asked him thorougly about the side effects because i was aware how systemic treatments can have serious side effects. He told he had seen a lot of patients take the drug and there was never reported any side effects. It was after this talk my GP that i gave up the skepticism and bought the drug. DO NOT BUY IT EVEN IF YOUR GP ENCOURAGES YOU! In the end he is not taking any risks, you are!

Ruined my life

This stuff is poison and has ruined me since I took it. First gave me severe IBS-C, and my acne got 100 times worse. I then developed food intolerances to everything after it, tiny bits of gluten/dairy/sugar/alcohol/fruit break me out. This *hit is as bad as accutane IMO, and should be taken off the market. I was only on it a few weeks because it gave me severe stomach pain! Fu*k you pharmaceutical industry

PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis." There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable. There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternatives to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences. *For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.

Did stop me breaking out for some time, but had continuous heart burn as a side effect, and stopped and acne came back

Yea i dont use many oral treatment for acne, so this was the first, and to my surprise, it was effective at stopping my breakout for period of time, after a month or so, I noticed that I am getting heart burn more regularly, my acid was coming up in the throat and just an uncomfortable feeling, so decided to do some research and it was a common side effect with this medicine. I thought because my pimples have stopped breaking out, and im getting this annoying side effect, and also the fact that its a antibiotic which can be dangerous as i may gain immunity, I dropped it. My heartburn stopped, and after a month my acne came back. Start taking tetracycline, heart burn came back right on the day, went to GP, told me that tetracyline gaves me heartburn so give me another oral acne medication, and he does, but what he literally gives me is another form of tetracyline, so my heartburn came back again. Anyway i start breaking out now, and now i got Erythromycin, lets see how that will work out. Also regular heart burn apparently increases the chance of throat cancer by 70%, so yea didnt wanted to take the risk.

Comments

Watch your reaction to this! Take the side affects seriously

( this might pop up twice- had a problem posting) So at 38 I am fed up with the cystic acne. Have tried various BC pills and topical medication. YAZ is the only BC that will even start to touch the large cystic acne I get on my neck, chin and behind the ears. So I was given minocycline to start. I started feeling dizzy and inebriated. It was like I was drinking continuously the entire day. I was slurrying words and having to concentrate on just walking. I have 3 kids/ won't do. The second day I contacted my primary care and the nurse advised I stop the drugs and come in. The doctor said she she didn't NOT believe I was having symptoms but she said she wanted me to try the drug again. That just because my body wasn't used to it didn't mean I was allergic. She sent me home with doxycycline as well in case I couldn't handle the first after trying it again for a few days. After 2 days I was again unable to function. At this point I was doubting myself about my side affects and feeling terrible about the cystic acne that is destroying my skin. So I switched to the doxycycline. Right away I stopped feeling dizzy and thought "this just might work". Last night ( the 2nd night taking doxycycline) I went to bed early feeling worn out ( I am a runner and running a marathon next weekend so I thought maybe it was my training). I woke at 12:39 with a large welt the side of a silver dollar on my side. Showed hubby and we took a picture- went back to bed. Woke up at 4:30 because I felt terrible- was covered with welts all over my body the side of my had and raised a quarter to half and inch. My cheeks, lips and right eye were swollen and my throat was tight and didn't feel right. Went to the ER - attending told me that I am severely allergic to ALL tetracyclines. I was give three types of medication, an epi pen and an inhaler. I was told to go back to primary care and get allergy testing now as well. I am frustrated with my primary care doctor for disregarding my symptoms ( she said maybe I have vertigo- have never had that before). Frustrated with the adult acne and now this. Please be careful when you take these medications and watch for appropriate reactions. Sometimes I feel they are vague in listing the side affects. How much is acceptable before your body goes over? In my case the doctor said it was the swelling face and throat... I selected yes for recommending this treatment bc I know it works well for some people/ I just want everyone to be aware that side affects can be serious

Disappointed

When I first started taking this two months ago it worked great and it worked fast, it cleared up my acne within a week. Unfortunately it stopped working surprisingly fast.. and my acne came back out pretty much overnight and it worse than what it was before I started taking this.

Comments

I had an allergic reaction to this

My chest broke out in hives.... but glad My body rejected it. Unfortunately the dr. then put me on doxycyclin. They kept me on it for YEARS! (high school) as soon as I stopped or if I didnt have it on hand my face would EXPLODE. Wasnt curing anthing was only covering up the problem. Keep in mind these are also meds that are typically given to people to treat respitory infections. I wasn't sick..., I had acne! Later i learned my acne was triggered by food intolerances. FOOD! Simple as that... I still resent not being more aware when i was younger and that the Doctors were as sh*tty as they were. Thankfully I still have my liver!

not worthy

it is really hard to have clear skin with these antibiotics. if it works, whenever you give up, they will come up again. maybe it can be more worthy for mild cases.

tetraciclina

Yeah, i would say this is the better review, or at least the one that's similar to my case. One has to be really organized in the bed time and eating habits to get results. Otherwise you will have an unstoppable nausea. You can't drink alcohol while you are medicated and its good to know that ya need to drink one probiotic at day.

3 months no difference

Been on this drug 3 months hasn't done a thing! My acne has probably got worse if anything where it is practically being left untreated due to this drug not working which is really effecting my self esteem! May work differently for different people but to me it has been a massive waste of 3 entire months!! Also have had headaches, dizziness and a lot of unexplained mood swings for the first two months! Back to the doctors Monday to see the next step..

Eh....

I gave this 3 stars because it did help clear up my skin, but I think it was making me really sick. I loved that it cleared up my acne with out any scaring but my happiness was short lived. There are a host of side effects from Tetracycline. I gave up on the antibiotics and felt instantly better. It may be worth it for some people but not for me.

how long did it take for your skin to clear up before you stopped taking it?

IT WORKS!!!

It definitely worked for me!!!! After 6 months taking it my acne is completely gone, it is the only thing that worked for me!!! I had no side effects and could see the improvement in my skin everyday!!!

How long have you been off of the antibiotic? Has any acne returned since and if so what is the severity of it?
Did it take an entire 6 months to work? When did you notice it started to improve?
Took a full month to see results but definitely worth it!

Such a naive treatment, you really need to read this.

Reduces maximum by 50% It is naive for doctors to offer this, many have stopped due to ongoing research of side effects. Please read. Please read this if your GP has recommended this treatment, you need to understand and know what I am going to tell you. I've been on this, or I was on this, for about two years. I was also using Benzoyl Peroxide and used Erythromycin (another antibiotic), to treat acne. Antibiotics, at best, kill about 50%-75% of your acne, they will never get rid of your acne as the cause, i.e. hormones, allergies, immune system, is not treated. No matter how much you kill the Propionibacterium acnes, they are naturally occurring on your skin (and perform other functions, like preventing more serious skin infections), and so will only keep coming back, and eventually after long term use (maybe two years or more) will become resistant to antibiotics. MEANWHILE you are destroying your immune system, metabolism and almost everything in your body. The gut contains bacteria, and one of the main warned side affects of antibiotics are diarrhoea, wind, bloating i.e. impaired gut function. The antibiotics demolish the microflora in your gut, and this ecosystem is what controls your immune system, nutrition intake and metabolism. Please do feel free to google any of this, I'm am 100%, have consulted many doctors, read much research, these are FACTS, I will not delve into speculation here. There is plenty of that about on these kind of websites. You either have two acne types as far as I am concerned, you will either grow out of it post-puberty, i.e 19-20 maybe 21. In which case you need to just DEAL with it. Acne is horrible, it ruins self esteem, it feels unfair that you have it, you wish you could be 'normal' like everyone else. But such a high percentage of teenagers suffer from acne, it is not actually such a dramatic thing, and in most cases your acne WILL be gone by your 20's. a) This is the important bit: HOWEVER, if you take antibiotics in your teenage years to try control your skin, you will not clear your skin fully (so you will not be satisfied, believe me I know, you want it all gone, even if there are 3 or 4 spots left, you'll still feel as bad as if there were 9-10. Or 20% back covered in acne, compared to 80%. Any or other similar ratios.) In the process you will have made yourself open to serious health issues in the future, I'm talking potentially many years of weak immune system, diarrhoea, nausea, allergies (milk, egg, wheat) and if you think living with acne is hard - you won't survive with this. This is a very real issue and problem, sure it may not happen to you, but what antibiotics do is they leave you open to stomach infections, and if you get one of those, they can last for years, or permanently alter your stomach function so you no longer can eat wheat, milk, or anything, without feeling severely ill! OR b) you may have adult acne, in which case antibiotics will not make a difference, and you need to take something more considerable like accutane, which WILL cure you 100%, with possible side effects. This is far more preferable to antibiotics, which do not 100% cure you, and WILL cause side effects, and sometimes long term. As for benzoyl peroxide, it may dry your skin, and leave you open to skin infections when you finish using it (damaged skin + not natural bacteria left to fight off infection) but all in all, acne IS a current issue, so I think benzoyls pro's weigh heavier than it's cons. That's me done, I just had to leave this information here, even if its just to settle my mind that I have tried to help others. I used to browse this forum desperately searching for a 'cure', turns out my severe bacne and mild facial acne faded by themselves when I stopped benzoyl and left the teenage years. But now my intestinal dysbiosis lives with me, and I am having to pay £3000 pound for treatment, as well as live with the health consequences. In hindsight it is not worth the risk people, I hope I can get that point across to you. Best of luck

It actually worked!

It's super effective! No side effects that I noticed Since antibiotics kill bacteria it will not only kill the bad bacteria but the good ones as well... Risk of getting resistant Didn't take away acne for good I took an antibiotic called "Tetralysal" and it is the only thing that has taken my acne away. No side effects whatsoever, I felt great during the whole time, but it took some time before I could see any improvement. When I stopped taking the pills my skin looked great (I would get an occasional pimple, but in comparison to what I used to look like it was fantastic) and did so for another six months, then I started breaking out again like before I started taking the pill... It works temporarily but doesn't take away the cause of the acne, so once you stop the risk of getting acne again is big. But for me who has tried a lot of things, this is one of few that actually worked, if only for a short time.

aze

Helps break the acne cycle

Helps clear acne Does not cause dryness Acne heals faster Nausea Not a permanant solution Interrupts eating schedule One thing I have always noticed is that acne causes more acne. If you have a few days of clear skin, it's easier to keep it clear than after a bad breakout. Tetracyclines help break that constant breakout cycle and give time for your skin to recover. i would not call this a miracle pill, but it does help acne clear faster and breakouts are less frequent and severe (fewer cysts etc). I wouldn't say that it cleared my acne completely, but it did help. The biggest downside is that you have to take the pill(s) on an empty stomach, i.e two hours before or two hours after a meal. this means if you wake up for work, you have to take the pills right away and wait two hours to eat....and no more bedtime snacks either! It also causes nausea and general fatigue, although this does wear off after a few weeks. I guess the biggest problem is that it is not a long term solution....I did not have a worsening of acne after coming of tetracyclines, but I know many people do.

not bad

Barely any side effects Eventually works gass small rashes that go away but are annoying takes a while for acne to go away I never used to have acne before I turned 20. In 2 months my face turned into an acne warzone. I got cysts on my chin area, which gradually progressed along my jawline and lower cheeks. These were so red and traumatized me, as I had NEVER had anything like it before. There were so many spots, some would heal, and the marks would remain, and new ones would come. Mineral foundation hid the redness thankfully. I've been on tetracycline for 2 months. It took this long for me to see a DIFFERENCE, but I'm so happy I stuck with the regimen and didn't give up. Now, my face isnt blemish free as when I was 19, but it's really getting better. I have no more cysts on my chin at all, just the red marks which will go away with a little more time. My jawline is not acne-free, but it's getting better as well. When I pass my fingers over my face I dont want to cry anymore. All this to say, please don't give up on tetracycline even if you havent see a difference yet. The regimen for these pills is 3 months. By the 3rd month, I'm sure I'll have my face back 100% (no marks or acne), considering the way things are going now. I'm also using topical products at night and morning. I was extremely depressed when I got acne at 20 for the first time, and so severe. I thought tetracycline would work within 2 weeks. IT DOESNT. It's a gentler antibiotic that takes its time. I accepted that I have an infection, just that it happens to be on my face - which is what acne is. Once I accepted this crappy fact, it was easier to deal with. Sh*t happens. Tetracycline can help you, but dont be impatient and do use mineral foundation in the meantime if you're worried about what people think. Acne is dumb and annoying, but it's really more common than you think, and will go away if you fight it, like any infection.

When you completed the cycle did you find that your acne returned? If so, how long did it take and to what severity compared with before the treatment? Thanks!
What was your dosage?
What was your dosage?

Ineffective with quite noticeable side-effects

Cheap I got very weak from lack of dairy after 3 months. No difference. Used twice daily, religiously and noticed no improvement nor any signs of worsening Surprisingly it is true, I had become out of character I was quite depressed during these months. Might of been related to feeling weak. ANOTHER THING ide like to add is that im 15, ive never had dry skin nor dry lips. This severely made me shrivel up, luckily i bought EOS lip balm and some pricey mosturizer and cleared it right up :D I have moderate acne, I had been trying topical treatments, Hundreds of dollars later I still have acne probably worse now. It was bad enough for me to go seek treatment but isn't severe by any means. I was given a few options; 1) General Birth control. 2) Tetracycline. 3) Birth Control + Accutane I really wanted to avoid birth control as im not at a state where I need to be on that. I asked my doctor if Birth control caused weight gain of which i would notice (Im 15 and I weigh 92 pounds) He said it would cause noticeable weight gain. I severely wanted to avoid that so I decided to take the second option and take Tetracycline for a period of 3 months as prescribed by my doctor. I just finished my 3 month period a week ago and it didn't clear anything up. I'm absolutely stumped. I dont want to take Birth Control but I really have no other option. I'm tired of having to cake on foundation and concealers just to barely cover the blemishes and redness. I was really hopeful... I really didnt want to be disappointed because I dont have severe acne... its just stubborn :( I wash my face twice a day everyday for as long as I can remember and I just dont know where to go from here.

what kind of acne do you have?

good , lower acne counts, long lasting

cheap clear skin skin high sun sensitive loss of appitite i am taking 250 mg tetracycline with zinc . Its makes clear 90% , 1 0r 2 zits, thats nothing problem. Tetracycline is a Bacteriostatic that stops bacteria from reproducing, while not necessarily harming them or killing them, its simply inhibits protein needed for bacteria. so if u get more acne take more tatracyline 750mg(250mg*3) to 1000 mg (500*2) after diet. Use antidandruff shampoo daily, If i get more acne i take 500mg until it clears. then reduce to 250 mg. IF U SERIOUSLY WANT TO KICK THE ACNE , THIS IS ONLY FOR SERIOUS PEOPLE WHO'S SELF CONFIDENCE, AFFECTED BY ACNE AND CANT TOLERATE ACNE. 1. stop all your diet types of food and drinks etc.Stop everything. 2. take only wheat oats as food(cook wheat oats with water and add some salt for taste) for breakfast, lunch, supper. 3. Dont eat anything only wheat oats is your food , dont drink anything (any beverage, milk etc) water is your drink. 4. Use antidandruff shampoo daily. 5 take tetracycline 250 mg twice( morning and night) and also take zinc 65mg enough at night Just look at the results in 1 week. then u will fallow it life long, results is awesome, beautiful, clear skin face. "without water there is no tree, without fatty, high calories food there is no acne. SImple but Worth." this will seriously work for any people fatty and high calories food is the only reason for all diseases. God bless us.

Works really well

Cleared my skin to 98% within a month. Worked like a charm No Initial breakout (at least not for me) Little dry skin Watch out for the sun. There's a chance of you getting a little red if staying in it to long! You can become immune to it if taken for way to long Worked really good the 3 months I was on it. I can recommend this to people with mild acne - just make sure not to take it with dairy and, to get the possible best effect, take it 1 hour before a meal.

Did you find that your acne returned after finishing the treatment? If so, was it the same level of severity as before?

Initially made my acne worse then I noticed no difference

It was free Increase in breakout Increase in redness Actual pain! I was prescribed Tetracycline by my doctor and was advised to take it for a month before expecting any noticeable results. My acne was pretty bad so I took it religiously for a month in the hope that my acne would at least be reduced. Not only did it not clear my skin but it made it 100x WORSE. I know they say it has to get worse before it gets better but this breakout was just ridiculous! I stopped taking Tetracycline and started taking these natural supplements and I finally have the clear skin I've always longed for :D ( Apart from the odd breakout but nothing as bad as it was). These are what I took: [link removed]

Comments

Works great for a while, not worth it in the long-run

Works very effectively for a period of time Easy to take Cheap (if on the NHS/insurance) Makes acne much, much worse in the long-run Stains teeth yellow I took oxytetracycline from October 2009 to April 2011. The drug took about 4 months to kick in but, once I did, I had flawlessly perfect skin. It was great! However, from around November 2010 the drug gradually decreased in effectiveness. Now that I've come off it my skin is worse than ever and I'm still suffering from this now, in July 2013. The chances are that the drug will help for a bit, but will then make your acne worse in the long run. For this reason, it just isn't worth it! I'm entirely sure that if I hadn't taken the drug, I would have naturally outgrown acne by now.

Another let down

Cheap U build a resistance Sun sensitivy The medications is cheap and useful. Once you stop taking it your acne comes back to bite ya in the ass again. But this time it's worse. I built a resistance very quickly to this antibiotic. And every other one for that matter,

Comments

See review. Will noticably decrease acne as early as a week into treatment depending on dosage. Inaffective when taking with dairy products. Stomach issues can occur when not eating properly in combination with taking Tetracycline. Research online for a full list of possible side-effects to look out for early on. Tetracycline is an opportunity to start over. Acne causes acne. It's very hard to rid yourself of it naturally, as in through diet and regular facial cleansings, once you already have it severely. Clogged pores constrict the pores around it, causing more acne. It's a vicious cycle. Tetracycline is like a reset button. It gives you the opportunity to make a fresh start and really change your lifestyle to ward off future acne. You are what you eat. Figure out what your triggers are and remove them from your diet. Sodas, excessive dairy consumption, greasy foods, etc. Occasional exercise, or going to the saunae once or twice a month will also help greatly. Sweat the bad stuff out, because we're all bound to indulde in some quesionable foods occasionally. And of course, wash your face thoroughly, sensitively, every day. Wash your hands often, don't touch your face, change your pillow case often, etc. Tetracycline is not a niracle drug, but it allows for you to start fresh. Also, be very aware that you must dose down from anything over 500mg a day. Acne resurgence will be significantly reduced if you build down your intake. If you are currently taking two pills/capsules a day, start taking just one a day for a week or two, then one every other day, until you're at one a week for a few weeks. This way your body rebuilds it's natural defensive mechanisms before becoming solely responsible for warding off skin inflammations again. If you use it sensibly, Tetracycline can put a permanent end to bad acne.

Guest Felipe
Guest Felipe

Cleared me up 100% in 8 weeks (along with BP and cleanser) No side effects on me whatsoever. (Took it with lots of water to avoid stomach issues) The cheapest prescription I've ever purchased. 6 USD for 60 generic capsules. Revealed scarring (which I've never noticed before for being constantly broke out) Had to take it on an empty stomach Had to cease taking Milk Products As with all antibiotics, your probiotic flora may be affected. I'm a 25 y/o male, been struggling with moderate acne for the past 9 years. So far I've tried topical Erythromycin, Doxycycline, Salicylic acid, Vitamin A, Benzoyl peroxide in all its presentations, which I've used daily for 5 years or so. I finally decided to go to a proper derm 3 months ago who prescribed me with 1gr/day of Tetracycline, 10% BP, and a Calendula-based cleanser. It's been a tremendous experience, began seeing results after the second week, and completely cleared me up in eight weeks.

Popular Oral