Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage) Reviews

Tazarotene (Tazorac, Avage)

Works pretty well on my sensitive skin

I have extremely sensitive skin and can rarely use acne products with harsh chemicals such as these prescription ones. But, I mix Tazorac with my moisturizer (Renee Rouleau - the best) and use every other day. This has seemed to be helping my face stay clear but not too dry! I recommend this for people who can't tolerate most harsh chemical acne medications. Granted, during the winter I do get dry and have to use less than every other day. Happy with the effects this has on my skin.

Comments

It worked, hang on in there!

If u do use tazorac i recommend the cream version because initially i had the foam and it did nothing but when i used the cream i started to see results. My doctor prescribed me aczone 7.5, tazorac and antibiotics. It got really bad and my jawline was covered with bumps for at least 3 to 4 months and i was fustrated because family members would say that i need to be using this or that and they didn't understand that it would get worse before it got better. During the first 3 months i stopped taking antibiotics because although it helped with my cystic bumps, it didn't help with all the other types of bumps i was getting. I continued with the aczone and tazorac, i started taking zinc, oneaday vitamins and probiotics, as well as drinking a lot more water and eating salmon. So really it took about 4 to 5 months for me to have mostly clear skin. I do have a lot of visible acne marks but my bumps are minimal to clear now and i would recommend it, i will say some days i cried and didn't want to go anywhere but it will get better. I'm praying for you all because Ik how hard that it is and many people don't understand it and it's not fair but clear skin is coming your way!

Works - but NOT WORTH IT

Before Tazorac starts working, there is a HUGE breakout period that happens almost immediately. This breakout was the worst breakout of my life and was emotionally crippling, but having faith in the product, I continued through. It took me 7 weeks to obtain "clear skin" with Tazorac. I say "clear" because the initial breakout caused INTENSE scarring, scarring I'm still dealing with today 5 years later. On top of that, I started breaking out again a few months after Tazorac made my skin "clear", even though I was still using the product. Did it clear my acne? Yes. But the initial breakout left horrible scarring and gave me extreme anxiety, and in the end, the results did not last.

GAVE ME GIANT CYSTS

I started this medication with about 8 pimples on my face at any given time. I've been on this medication for 3 months now. Today I counted my pimples and I have 61 of them along with a golf ball sized cyst on my chin and a marble sized cyst in between my eyebrows. I look like a monster. I will be left with the permanent scarring from this medication for the rest of my life. Do not use this horrible stuff. I only hope I can get back to where I started. My face is so painful and this medication has ruined my skin forever. Please don't use this.

Patience!! Honestly works!

I can't complain. For about two years I had a lot of skin colored (white heads) bumps surfacing my forehead. I started tazorac but wasn't patient and stopped. Once my dermo put me back on it she said to continue to use it since results may not occur until about 3 months. My skin was already used to benzoyl peroxide so I was able to apply it every night with not a lot of drying for 5 months straight (July- December). I can admit I noticed my skin to fluctuate, I honestly think it got slightly worse before it got better. As of now I don't have nearly as many bumps than I did before and I am so thankful. I have a few dark spots, slight discoloration but my skin is so much more clear. Much more confident in myself! I was using Tazorac .05%

Keep your head up! :-)

The end of 2015 into 2016 i had very minor acne when i was on my period or stressed out for whatever reason. I used aveeno clear complexion face wash every night. By june of 2016 i began to breakout more then usual so i turned to proactiv. Proactiv was amazing for me! My skin was completely clear and healed all my scars. But by the end of august of 2016 i became immune to the Benzoyl peroxide and the other ingredients im the product. My face started breaking out so so so bad which forced me to call the derm. I drove almost an hour away because i was so upset. He prescribed me 200 mg of doxycyline hyclate, tazorac 0.05% & clindamycin phosphate gel 1.2%. I right away bought all the products (spending $140). I started doing the cream and the gel and the pill, the first 2-3 weeks were absolutely terrible! I broke out all over my face including places i have never gotten pimples before. After doing loads of research i learned that those first couple weeks is the purging stage and is the worst. Going into the 3-4 week i was so depressed and really down on myself. I sat there and cried to my dad because i hated myself so much. Im in my 6-7 week now and my skin is honestly doing so much better. My scars are fading, i barely have any bumps except on my jawline which is probably because of my hair. But if you are on tazorac and feel like you want to give up or its not working all i have to say is keep going! I was in the same position. I know how it feels to feel like everyones making fun of you or looking down on you. You are beautiful and keep your head up because it will get better! Tazorac will help you

I'm two weeks in and am definitely seeing my acne get worse. Holding out hope. I have a long few weeks ahead of me. Thank you for posting this. I am on the verge of crying to my mom about it, but reading this makes me want to push through!

NIGHTMARE CREAM

This stuff is horrifying. It wrecked my skin after only two uses. I dont know if I will ever recover and I can barely even function now because of this crap. I used it for a small amount of pimples I got from not washing my face for awhile and it did the following: -Blotchiness -Itchiness -Crepe like skin bunching up like cellophane -Pores/pin pricks everywhere -Fine lines and wrinkles that look very abnormal -Dents and shallow marks of all sizes and shapes out of nowhere (more continue to come) -uneveness In color and in thickness of skin -Burning to the point it felt my face was used to put out a fire -Turned my porcelain skin to a reddish yellow mottled mess with texture issues galore -made me breaks out like nuts after a week or so had passed -made my skin sensitive as all hell -made my skin mushy and "mesh like" especially the forehead..it's like parts of my face are a partially deflated helium balloon, my skin no longer sits flat against my face -Made me depressed to the point that now I contemplate leaving this earth if my skin doesn't go back to its pre-tazorac state ...I am now in contact with others who have been damaged by similar retinoids..crazy enough their damage is similar to those who have been damaged by laser and chemical peels..i now have to visit the IPLaser damage and support forum thanks to only two tiny uses of this cream (.05)..I'm devastated I hope for my own sake as well as the sake of others that I am able to update with news of fully healed skin with time..if anyone had similar reactions or is prescribed this, don't hesitate to contact me WARNING: JUST Don't use this stuff unless you want to risk potentially permanently damaging your skin, if you think acne is bad, wait until the day comes where it feels and looks as if someone has transplanted your entire facial skin with someone else's...like that of an 80 year old man who has labored in the sun and the elements all his life..and your acne will be 1000 times more like to SCAR if you have a bad reaction to this cream..my advice..if you've got bad acne, go in on Accutane, and if you have good skin, don't try to make it better with something as harsh as this chemical is. All its positive effects are temporary while its negative effects are seemingly permanent. So really there's no reason for ANYONE to use this stuff, unless you want to risk your happiness and quality of life completely. And even if you have good results..it's all fake..it gives the appearance of helping some people's skin..it does not ACTUALLY permanently improve your skin. It's gilded dog poo as far as I'm concerned. And as one of the 3 dermatologists I visited labeled it.."Paint Thinner"

Thats because you used it for 2 days... It takes months for this product to actually take effect. And your also not supposed to you it was a spot treatment. It is supposed to be an all over treatment. Before you go around posting your "review" on a product you used twice, check the facts.
It's not because I only used it twice...no product should do lasting damage from only two uses...so keep damaging my face until hopefully the damage cancels out the damage you are saying??...yea...smart. It's been over 3 months and none of my reaction/damage has dissipated. I was told even by every derm I went to, to never put it on my face again. So how about YOU check your facts. Because it doesn't get any more real and authentic than personal experience..and that is what I'm sharing. The FACTS of MY situation from using this product. That's what a review IS. And come to find out that I am FAR from the only one dealing with this. No matter if it is used once, twice, for months, many have had similar, if not identical reactions. And I did put it on pretty much my entire face, also derm's also prescribe it as spot treatment too..so please, before YOU go around spitting moronic, ignorant, insulting BS to someone dealing with a nightmare, check not only the facts, but also your capacity as a human being.

Stick with it!

So I started tazorac .05% exactly 5 weeks ago. I had mostly mild/moderate acne localized to my chin and a little around my mouth, so probably hormonal even though I'm on birth control (ortho cyclen). My acne ranged from small tiny texture bumps to large cysts/inflamed pimples. I decided enough was enough and saw a derm who prescribed me tazorac .05% at night and aczone 7.5% in the morning. I am doing this regimen with cetaphil cleanser and ceraVe pm lotion. The first 2 weeks were SO awful my skin was unbelievably dry and peeling and breaking out. Around week 3-3.5 I noticed the breakouts were getting smaller and now at week 5 I have maybe 2 small active whiteheads and the rest of my chin is healing hyperpigmentation from the initial breakout, which I can easily cover with makeup. My face looks 90% clear at week 5! I saw my derm today who said my skin looks great and to keep the regimen up! My suggestion is I do believe tazorac will work for most people but stick with it and use a topical antibiotic in the morning. Definitely moisturize! Good luck :)

This gives me hope! Two weeks in and suffering through the purging phase. I would say my acne went from moderate to severe in two weeks. It might just look that way from the redness though... Hoping for miracles.

Stick with it

Currently on week 9 1/2 of Tazorac. 05 at night with Aczone 5% of morning and my skin is just now showing the big improvement I've been waiting for and my skin has never looked better since before puberty. Before last year I would get random zits here and there, but they would always clear up with Clearasil or some other over the counter spot treatment, but last summer I broke out horribly, and after almost a year of trying every OTC acne treatment out there, as well as Dermalogica, which is very expensive and didn't even work, I went to the dermatologist and was put on Taz and Aczone. Honestly I was about to give up about two weeks ago after reading about people seeing miracles after a month, and there I was 7 weeks in and still not improving, but I stuck with it after reading enough success stories, and finally I'm starting to see a huge improvement in my skin so I decided to share my story. Some things to keep in mind are that moisturizing and applying sunscreen are critical when on these products. Your skin will be a dry and burnt mess without. Without sunscreen my skin burned as soon as I stepped outside. Also be very gentle when washing your face, let the medicine to the work not the facewash. Over washing your face will further damage your skin and prolong treatment. Be patient, very, very patient. Some people see results in a month, others it's taken months, it really depends on your situation. But the wait is very much worth it.

Can 15 year old teen use it ? And when can we , day or night??
I would say talk to your derm first but its usually a nightime product for overnight

Probably made things worse

I used tazorac as a spot treatment (it was too powerful to use all over) for about a year and a half. I think I liked the idea of just zapping my zits away by drying them out, but I don't think it really made them heal any faster. If anything, I was noticing that the blemishes I used it on would be the most red and inflammed, and I would often get more breakouts in the the same areas that I was using the tazorac on. On a hunch, I decided to stop using tazorac. Sure enough, I stopped having multiple breakouts in concentrated areas and the new zits rarely became as problematic as the ones that I used tazorac for. I do know some people personally who use tazorac and they are almost clear, but for me, I honestly just think it upset my skin and made things worse.

Nope.

Only used it for 2 nights around 6 months ago. As soon as I woke up the next morning I had broken out like never before! I decided to give it another day and I developed around 3 unsurfaced pimples and many whiteheads. I didn't experience dryness or irritation although the pimples that came up were red. It surely left some skin discoloration but as of now my skin is looking great using Epiduo and taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin A and 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3. This product was definitely NOT for me.

Amazing

My skin cleared up in 2 days using this. Here's what I do: I remove all makeup from my face and neck using the red bioderma makeup remover. Then, I cleanse my skin with NeoStrata 2% glycolic acid foaming cleansing water. I'm not sure if this product is available in the USA, but I highly recommend this product. It is very, very gentle and effective. After drying my face, I apply a thin layer of Tazorac gel 0.1%. I have been doing this for only 2 days and have seen major improvements. I had cystic acne all over my cheeks, tiny under the skin breakouts almost everywhere else and severe redness and discolouration... Not to mention deep scarring on my cheeks. Tazorac has already nearly diminished every issue that my skin had. I paid about 65 dollars for a tube at the pharmacy in Canada. I noticed it made my skin very oily directly after applying it. I used the bioderma makeup remover and a cotton pad to remove the oil and have had no new breakouts. I did not experience any irritation, but have read that many people will get dry or itchy skin. If your skin gets dry I would recommend using Tazorac every other night and using a cold pressed coconut oil every morning. My skin is finally clear! Hooray!!!!

wow

i have been battling cystic acne for many years now and it is completely gone!! i've been using this stuff for 2 month with duac now, and all of my pimples have come to a halt. yes, my face is peeling like crazy, but that is a good thing! that means the dead skin cells and top layer is shedding off and my scars are less visible. My derm said the more i use it overtime, my acne scars will be gone and my face will be much smoother...it's ALREADY getting smoother after 2 weeks of using this product. highly recommend it!

Comments

Has it's pros and cons for acne

I use Tazorac Gel .1 Tazorac is a tricky product. I have been on Tazorac for over 2 years now and it's sometimes a love/hate relationship. I will say it is EXCELLENT at helping get rid of scaring and hyper pigmentation. HOWEVER, if you use too much of it you will regret it. If not used in just the right amount for your skin it will cause your skin to dry, crack, peel, turn red and unfortunately for me caused me to break out more because my skin was so irritated. I have learned through trial and error that the best way for me to use Tazorac is to wash my face in the evening with VANICREAM, let dry, apply VANICREAM moisturizer, let dry, and then apply the smallest amount (less than a pea size) to the back of my hand. Then using my fingertips I dot the Tazorac on the problem areas of my face and smooth product out to the other areas. Avoid lip and eye areas. It takes about 2-3 months for the skin to really get used to this product. When first using the product, my skin went through a very sunburned looking, dry and ugly PURGING period that was disheartening. However, I do believe my skin is better off with the product now. The key is to use it every day at night before bed and ONLY as directed. Don't be slack about using it because if you start and stop your face will hate you for it. An extra perk about this product is that it also helps with aging and sun spots. I know I have said a lot of negative things about Tazorac but all in all it is a very good acne product when used correctly. It's just one of those things that takes time and a lot of patience to see results.

Comments

Effects of purge not worth it

I always struggled with acne but got it under control after a 2 year battle. The only thing I had were those annoying little colorless bumps on my forehead. Nothing worked so my derm prescribed me with both the .5 and 1%. Because of its effects I'm going on accutane now. The purge was so not worth it and after almost a month and a half my skin still has new painful bumps everyday. In the 2 years that Ive struggled with mild to moderate acne its never been this bad. I highly suggest staying away from this product if you have mild acne. Not sure how it works for more severe cases but I definitely wish I stayed away from this.

Comments

Amazing at right strength!!

It depends on the strength. I had the o.o5%. My results were better skin. I just switched to 1% and I'm fearful of this purge talk. I woke up with pimple on my forhead that's never had pimples. Skin feels rough and dry. I wish I would've stuck with lower. Here's the deal. If you have combo or sensitive skin start low,don't think more is better. Now my mother can withstand tretinoin lower dose, me I was burnt. She has normal to dry skin. Don't be afraid to start low, I know it's expensive but sometimes more does more damage then good.

One Month

I am 16 years old and have had pretty mild consistent acne since I was about 12. In the last few months my acne has gotten worse. My forehead was mostly consistent of small bumps that could be covered up but were incredibly annoying. Also I occasionally got more red pimples around my Tzone, but nothing too extreme. After being done with my bumps I went to the my dermatologist and she prescribed Tazorac and Yaz birth control for my acne on my chest, back, and face. I have been using the combined products for over a month and my skin on my face had never been worse. The first few weeks were the worst, my face was incredibly dry but now I use cetaphil daily moisturizer from the jar and my face is never dry anymore. Not only was my face bumpy but I had started to get acne on my cheek and chin, which never happened before. But I am expiriencing better skin on my chest. I'm hoping this is just simply the purging process and my face will clear up soon.

Very drying!!!

I am an 18 year old female & I've had pretty moderate acne since I was about 13. I feel like I've tried so many things but I haven't gotten on an actual skincare regime until about a month and a half ago. I cleanse my face with Murad Clarifying Cleanser, tone with witch hazel in the morning (at night I use Mario Badescau glycolic acid toner) follow with aczone, and then apply CeraVe moisturizer. I am also on Solodyn. This combination of things has kept the acne at bay, but I still occasionally got breakouts and I have very bad hyper pigmentation that was not fading. I went to the dermatologist and she gave me this to use at night. Within three nights it managed to wreck complete havoc on my skin!! It is extremely dry, painful, and red. I can't cover it with makeup and I'm embarrassed to even leave the house. My skin has never felt this awful. I've heard good things about Taz, and I want to give it another shot once my face heals, however I will use a very very small amount next time. To anyone looking to use this, be careful with how much you use! A little goes a long way, DO NOT just slather it on your face, especially if you have dry skin to begin with like I did.

I had the same expirience I am noes string coconut oil on my dry-ass, red face. I was so try I couldn't even move my face, it looked like I aged 50 years! My mother should have given my more instructions when she suggested it for me, she just said "just put it on there!!!!" And I got to much gel
Did you try .1 gel /cream or 0.05 gel /cream? I've tried the .1 gel and Lord have mercy the side effects were awful..skin burn, severe dryness..and I was using it for 6 months without any improvement. However, when I switched to 0.05, my skin cleared up within a good 2 weeks. I was very surprised. Try the 0.05 gel or cream if you haven't. My skin glows now ! The gel is for oily skin( it'll dry out your skin whereas the cream is for dry skin, it won't be as drying. Good luck!

Worse acne after 12 weeks

After 3 weeks of the medication, I experienced worse acne than I've ever had in my entire life (I'm currently 21, and I've had moderate-severe acne since age 17, but this was HORRENDOUS). Thought it was just an "acne purge"... but it lasted and worsened all the way up until week 12 of the medication. It was SO painful, itchy, and made me not want to leave the house. If you are still experiencing worse acne around like week 7-9, call your doctor... don't finish the course like I did. Now I'm going to try Spiro and Retin-A micro. Here's hoping this nightmare is soon over.

Did the different treatment help you?

Tazorac is LIQUID GOLD for my skin......

I have been using Tazorac for about 2-3 years now and I absolutely love this stuff. I had tried retin A's in the past with laziness and didn't follow through it all until I got a hold of this stuff from my team of guru dermatologists. I was desperate for an acne cure after Proactiv so badly damaged my complexion with congested pores all over my face, countless cysts, blackheads, whiteheads, I had them all. I was extremely depressed about my skin. I felt, ugly, My skin was bumpy and horrible in true light that no amount of make up could cover it at all. I was embarrassed than I was when I was a teenager with pimples. This was adult acne at it's worst. My derm gave me Tazorac explaining to me that this will help clear up the congestion I had due to it's effects to speed up cell turnover essentially exfoliating skin making it radiant and smooth at the same time helping with wrinkles. I began using it at night mixed with my moisturizer in small pea sizes and I noticed the feel of my skin was getting smoother, more supple. The texture of my skin fully changed and began to clear up my congestion completely. My forehead has never been clear until I started using this magical stuff. Tazoraz is a god send to my acne skin. I have glowing, acne-free, wrinkle-free skin. When I get facials, estheticians always compliment my skin of which I never had before either. For stubborn acne, this really is the mother of all retin A's to go to.... what my derm says, "We are pulling out the big guns here"

What strength did you use and how much applied. I feel a pea size is not enough. Great review , I like tazorac over tretinoin to!

LOVE IT

I was on Differin for 6 weeks and still having breakouts reaaaally bad. The day i started using tazorac (8/10/15) i had two or three cyst-like pimples and a few other random bumps... No lie i used it that night and the next morning my face was 75% clearer. Now, i only have a couple tiny bumps that are not visible and I haven't had a single new breakout!! This is a winner!!! Other Products being used: Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit acne scrub at night and in the AM I alternate Cetaphil oil controlling foam wash and the neutrogena pink grapefruit acne foaming wash using my clarisonic, neitrogena toner, glycolic acid pad, & Onexton (Benzoyl Peroxide) My skin is oily and i had already been using Differin for 6 weeks, so I didn't experience any dryness or peeling.

Ridiculous price. Disgraceful.

I just tried to get a script filled for my daughter. $500. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

CALL THE MANUFACTURER WHO MAKES IT (ALLERGAN) AND ASK FOR THE COUPON DEPARTMENT, 1-800-433-8871. THEY WILL ASK FOR YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS AND WILL EMAIL IT TO YOU. THE FIRST WILL COST $10.00, SECOND REFILL $2.00, AND LAST REFILL WILL BE ZERO. I JUST TRIED IT AND IT WORKED. I AM SO HAPPY NOW!!!!
Not true Amber. It sounds like it's changed. You now ENROLL in a program that allows you to EARN points towards a coupon. Expensive.
Amber is correct. I used the number this weekend and got a coupon for which I only paid 10 dollars.

Anyone have any Tazorac???? Please!

Hey guys! My last sample of Tazorac is coming to an end :-( and unfortunately, I am uninsured until November-ish. Does any kind-hearted individual(s) have any Tazorac they are no longer using for sale?

https://[link removed] Hi please use this website to buy you dont need a prescription. I just got my tretinoin from here because my dermatologist wont bup me up to the 0.01 % and ive been using that dose for two months and its working magic. He wants to keep me on the lowest dose. Hope that helps!

Saved my skin

After accutane failed, I was miserable and desperate. I tried other topicals, two other anti biotics, and birth control. I am convinced that tazorac is what saved my face. The first two weeks were terrible. My skin was dry, hurt, and peeled under my makeup. Stick with it yall. I'm about a month in and I haven't broken out in three days, which is a record for me. I use a moisturizer twice a day which helps the dryness.

Popular Topical