St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Gel Cleanser Reviews

Brand: St. Ives

St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Gel Cleanser

St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Gel Cleanser: As Good As it Gets for an OTC Product

I have had issues with hormone-driven acne for many years. St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Gel Cleanser applied at night followed by Clean & Clear Continuous Control Benzoyl Peroxide wash in the morning kept me clear 90 percent of the time until early last year when I began experiencing "breakthrough" cystic acne. When my OTC methods began to fail, I consulted a dermatologist for the problem for the first time since my 20s, when I went on Accutane and largely eliminated the problem until I hit my 40s. The dermatologist placed me on Differen gel to no apparent benefit whatsoever. When that didn't work, she proposed a stronger dose of Differen and added a daily, prolonged regimen of antibiotics. All the while, she told me not to use Salicylic acid products so I switched over to a non-medicated facial cleaner. I began breaking out worse after I began to use a "gentle" cleaner and it didn't quit. Nonetheless, I was unable to tolerate a stronger dose of Differen and the antibiotics were leaving me with other "problems" that women can get from antibiotic overuse. This product was the intermediate solution for me between too-strong Differen and too-weak Differen. As luck would have it, I stocked up on a bunch of these blemish control green tea facial cleaners prior to use of the Differen and so in lieu of embarking on the antibiotic over-use route I added this cleanser back in to my thus-far ineffectual Differen routine. Between the re-introduction of this OTC cleanser and the Rx, I have acne control without antibiotic over-reliance. Unfortunately, my stash of St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Gel Cleanser is about to run out and I know of no other comparable product to stand in for the fact that THE MANUFACTURER HAS DISCONTINUED THIS FACIAL CLEANER :-(. I do believe the synergistic aspects of this formula, which includes green tea, olive extracts and Salcylic acid, will be difficult to duplicate. If anybody knows of a substitute for this facial cleaner, I'd like to hear about it. With the sole exception of Clean & Clear's Continuous Control facial wash, I've never had such good success with an OTC blemish-control product. It's too bad St. Ives didn't consider running a proper advertising campaign before they discontinued it. Without this product, I will be left with antibiotic use and the unpleasant side effects of being on too much Doxycycline for too long.

Where are you located? The product you are talking about is currently available in Vancouver BC, Canada.
Have you found another cleanser that works like these? I live in Costa Rica and they discontinued the selling of this product, my acne is coming back. If you find something please write to me to hellen_chinchilla@[link removed]
I really hope you all consider doing all organic products for your face. Visiting Etsy and supporting great organic, handmade manufacturers. The products include all ingredients that you can pronounce and see clearly. And many manufacturers have reviews to vouch for the products' results. Also, know your skin type. Knowing your skin type gives you more options. I LOVE this face wash too but there are better things.
I love Alba Botanica as well! They have a pineapple gel facial cleanser/line and a coconut milk collection. I LOVE milk cleansers. They also have a seaweed collection which was AMAZING. The moisturizer leaves you GLOWING.

Great

Should not use it during winter seasons because it dries out the skin. When weather is hot though, My skin becomes oilier. Nevertheless, It helps my skin redness and small red bumps. I tried using it as medication for huge inflammations/cysts by putting it with a q-tip and leave it for a while after steaming a face and it works quite well

Green but not Great

Not a fantastic product. Does nothing for inflamed acne at all. Didint really see any improvements after a 2 month use. Discontinued for something else. It does, however, smell nice, and the green tea element is good, however green tea by its self is a much better option :)

Acne begins to form deep below the skin's surface as much as three months before it erupts. You need to give any product at least 4 months to judge the results.

Good cleanser

Smells awesome clears pimples very well cleans away dirt and makeup easily does not clear black heads doesn't affect pore size around nose allergic to the tea part... My mom bought a Saint Ives care package for me in my first year of university, and the green tea cleanser was in the package. I was a little skeptic about trying it out - I'm allergic to green tea! - but I found that with daily use, I broke out less and less. It does absolutely NOTHING for my blackheads however, and I find that my face gets really warm and red after I use it, but it may just be my skin reacting to the tea.

Comments

- Foams easily - Non-comedogenic - Glycerin is 3rd ingredient on list, which is great news - Smells amazing to me, but I'm not sensitive to perfumes - Second ingredient is Sodium Laureth Sulfate. If you're following the regimen (like I am), this isn't great news. I found that it never bothered me. I was in a different city visiting family, and the only facial cleanser at their house was this one. I decided to give it a quick try and loved the results. I'm about to try it again with the regimen this time around.

Comments

worked first two days . skin was soo soft then stared to burn my face , i fricking hate it , i started to peel . and its been a week and my face is still irritated and stings DO NOT BUY . it f**ks ur face UP

Guest Brianna
Guest Brianna

smells nice good packaging lathers pretty well made these weird bumps on my forehead made me break out like i never had before harsh See, I had used St.Ives products before and loved them. So the other day at Target I had to get some more and they were out so i got the green tea cleanser (which I had never used). The next day i woke up, and had these weird bumps that were weird on my face and more pimples, My face was also turned slightly red! The bottle said it was supposed to clear redness and my face was never red then turned red! I am never EVER buying this product again!!!!!!!!!

Comments

It's cheap Smells nice lathers up It didn't clear up my acne Made my face oilyer Caused my face to be a bit worse had to keep using it It wasn't the best product for me. It worked for a while than i started to get more small bumps. Then when i didn't use it for one night i grew like 5 bumps.

Guest C
Guest C

Has sacylic acid in it Green Tea suppose to help your skin as well -Never improved my skin at all -Made me break out even more on my forehead It never improved my skin at all and made it worst on my forehead for me. But i kept using is as well using witch hazel afterwords. I wish it helped me clear my pimples just never did. Probably need a Bp with it as well to do the trick I bet.

Guest Anny
Guest Anny

Smells great Cheap Made skin produce more oil Dried out areas of my skin This cleanser did clear up my breakouts but not as well as I would have liked it to. I didn't find that it irritated my skin but it kind of made the skin around my nostrils dry out. Also it made my skin produce more oil than normal, which then caused me to have tiny almost invisible little bumps all over my face, and although they were invisible they were annoying.

Comments

-Smells Nice -Nice refreshing feeling -Lathers well -Clears breakout with weeks -Doesn't really reduce redness -Packaging is pretty bad (if thats a con) -Dries the skin out -Can cause flaking This product is great! The cleanser lathers very well and it smells really great (: After you wash this product off, your skin will feel very refreshed. You can fix the dryness of the skin with a good moisturizer as well. Overall a great product with some fixable problems

Guest Kylie
Guest Kylie

-Cleanses well -smells great (not chemically) -prevents breakouts -helps breakouts -evens skintone -not over drying -NONE i use this everyday along with the st. ives scrub...and my skin looks great. they work well together...with the ponds moisturizer. WONDERFULLLLL

Comments

Dryed out my face skin felt tight and uncomfortable didnt really notice much of a difference using this. my skin wasnt bad to begin with but right now my skin is breaking out more than ever! I'm going to quit using this product and try neutragena rapid clear. i hear good things!

Comments

Leaves skin feeling clean Removes makeup Reduces redness & breakouts None This product was the only thing that cleared up my severe cystic acne caused by a PDT treatment. I use the green tea scrub morning and night and most of my acne has gone away. My skin is extremely oily with some dry patches and this helped exfoliate my dry skin and keep it less oily. I absolutely love it.

Comments

feels kinda good works for a little bit and then wrecks your face. when i first started using this product my face felt fantastic and the tea ingredient made me feel like i was using a more natural cleanser. The first week was great i was very happy with my face and then slowly after a week later i started seeing little bumps all over my face. I am extremely disappointed with this product and will not use it again. im going back to oxy. its wayyy better.

Comments

Great smell Dried out skin I so wanted this product to work. St. Ives has great products. I got this and tried it for a couple weeks and didn't see any difference. I'm sure this is great for those with less troubled skin. But it smells good...that's all I can say for this product.

Comments

-smells great! -Removes make-up -clears breakouts - great for oily skin types None yet I used this product for about a year. Before I had very light acne on my face which helped control that problem. Then I moved to max clarity which was a BIG MISTAKE! bc it worsened my acne causing it to be persistent and took awhile to clear up due to the benzoyl peroxide being so dry on my skin...I am now using the st Ives naturally clear again and its actually starting to work on my skin like it use to. I've always loved st Ives products....one of the best OTC I highly recommend.

Guest Melissa
Guest Melissa

Helped redness and swelling a little bit. Did not really help my breakouts, was drying to my skin. Might be good for those with very oily skin, but not drier sensitive skin. I DO, however, like the Green Tea Scrub, but I mix it with a creamier moisturizing cleanser so it's not as harsh. That seems to work well.

Guest Mel
Guest Mel

removes makeup, cleans well, not too drying once your skin gets used to it can be drying until your skin gets used to it ans super expensive if your order from overseas! I ordered this online and the shipping was $80!! when i first started using this product it was quite drying and made my skin peel but now i have been using it morning and night with the Green Tea Scrub (only at night) and followed by BP and Dan's AHA (only at night)and it is great and the dryness has gone. I would recommend this however if you are in Australia don't order it online look for a similar product that is available here.

Popular Liquid