Spironolactone reviews

4.2/5 - 1175 reviews

Spironolactone

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spiro Week Three 100 MG
Reviewed on August 15, 2017

I know it's too early to review, but I'm 19, I took Accutane in 2014 and stayed clear till 2017. I tried stopping my birth control for two months which was the big culprit. I started again in July. I'm taking 100 MG a day of Spiro and have been since July 21st. It's been about 3 weeks. It's pretty moderate and has gotten much worse on my cheeks and jaw line I since I started. My forehead acne is basically gone by using clindamyacin gel. I am feeling very insecure because it seems worse than when I started. My cheeks have so many deep bumps and scars and redness. I feel like I need to cake on foundation which I haven't had to for a couple years. I feel very sad about this. I could use some positive motivation. When will it start to get better? I know it takes time but it's so depressing to deal with it again.

by Michigan88 on 08/16/2017 19:43
I understand the frustration. But I would encourage you to continue as long as you aren't experiencing any significant side effects. It took 6 months of taking 100mg for me to see results. At 4-5 months I remember feeling defeated, convinced there was no hope of positive results. Stick with it!!
Has anyone experienced an IB?
Reviewed on July 26, 2017

I have only been taking spiron for about 2-3 weeks and I am experiencing a pretty interesting breakout. They are deep underneath the skin & I'm noticing a lot of comedone acne which I didn't have much of before either. Could it be that the medication is purging the skin? Im just wondering if it "gets worse before it gets better" and if anyone with more experience with this medicine can vouch for that.

by prettypinkbows on 08/07/2017 03:04
I started spiro a week ago and I am a experiencing similar outbreak (little-closed comedones and cystic acne coming to the surface). A lot of reviews I've read said an initial breakout should be expected but doesn't always happen. Some people don't see improvements until 3-5 months. We just have to wait it out!
Already seeing improvements after a month
Reviewed on July 25, 2017

My dermatologist started me off with 25mg of the Spironolactone, and this was along the time-frame of me starting my birth control as well (Sprintec). I have PCOS and tend to have painful cystic acne on my jawline and cheeks. I clean my face twice a day, do spot treatments with benzoyl peroxide, or lavender oil. I exfoliate twice a week. I make sure to change out my pillow cases after 2 or 3 days. I feel like Spironolactone kind of boosts the process of clearing your skin. Already I can tell my skin is improving. The pimples I do get are not as painful, and clear up after a couple of days. I am now on 50mg after my 1 month check up. Drinking LOTS of water is imperative!

Soon, I will just need to worry about clearing up my scars. I'm surprised that is coming up sooner that expected! I love this product.

My goal is to not have to wear makeup someday :)

Took about 9 weeks, but worth the wait!
Reviewed on July 22, 2017

I'll start with my acne regimine. I wash my face twice a day with Cetaphil Acne Prone Skin foam wash, followed by Cetaphil Acne Prone Skin moisturizer. At night I take Spironolactone 100mg, and put a pea-sized amount of tretinoin 0.025% on the affected areas. Some mornings I'll use Dermalogica daily microfoliant to exfoliate, if needed. In the mornings I follow the moisturizer with SunBum zinc based facial sunscreen. The Cetaphil moisturizer does have 30spf sunscreen in it, but it does not contain zinc or titanium, which is incredibly important in protecting skin. Sticking to this routine has given me incredible results. I've struggled with adult acne for about a year and a half. It has always been hormonal acne on my jawline, usually cystic, but some whiteheads on my chin as well. It's taken 9 weeks for me to have smooth skin, but it's definitelty worth the wait! Now that the acne is gone I'm going to be working with the dermatologist to deal with the old acne scars, which have noticeably improved as well. I'm very excited to finally have clear skin again, especially before heading back to college at the end of August. Something else that's helped my acne a lot is switching to only drinking water. It's improved both my moods and my skin. I love spironolactone!

Severe Cystic Acne
Reviewed on June 16, 2017

I've been taking spironolactone for almost two weeks now for severe cystic acne, and I'm so happy to say that I think I finally found my solution!!

A bit of background about my skin: I'm an 18 year old female who's had acne (regular acne from age 8-13, and then cystic from age 13-18). My cystic acne is very severe. Even if I don't have a lot of breakouts, the ones I do have are very large and painful. For a while I thought I had my cystic breakouts under control thanks to chemical peels, vitamin c, exfoliating, and trying lots of different skincare products. Though I have definitely managed to reduce breakouts and get rid of regular acne, the cystic acne seemed unstoppable. After a bad experience with my last dermatologist, I decided to give dermatology another try and went to a dermatologist recommended by a family member. I was ready to get on accutane at this point, and thought he'd put me on it right away. He did mention it as a last resort IF spironolactone didn't work.

I've been on 50mg twice a day for almost two weeks now. I was supposed to move my dose up to 50mg morning and 100mg night, but I feel like my body needs more time to adjust to the medication and this dose has already done so much for my skin. I'm used to feeling a new cystic spot forming everyday/every other day, but I only had two cystic breakouts within the first two days of taking it. They were both small, which is a miracle in itself, because like I said I'm used to massive breakouts. They began to go away within 24 hours, along with a lot of inflammation from recent breakouts. My skin is less red and my skin texture is getting softer. It did get really gross for a while but I just stayed patient, chemically exfoliated and moisturized and always wear sunscreen. The only side effects I've exeprienced are most likely from not staying as hydrated as I should. I get a little lightheaded/faint feeling and drowsy sometimes after taking it, but I've also started increasing the amount of sodium I intake.

I've spent so long looking for something that would get me clear and I think I finally found it. I know it's early to review spironolactone, but I really feel like it started to work right away for me. I was expecting it to take a few months but I'm already seeing results. I will most likely move my dose up to 50mg morning and 100mg night to maximize my results, but for now I am very satisfied with 50mg.

CAME BACK TO UPDATE!

Sorry this is going to be long and sappy but if you're a female and struggle with cystic acne, spiro could change your life.

I've dealt with really severe cystic acne for around five years now. I don't even need to explain how horrible it is; if you have cystic acne you know how life ruining it can be. I've been on 100mg spiro morning and night for a little less than a month now. I didn't think it would work at all, and after reading reviews I thought even if it did I wouldn't see results until at least six months after taking it. I started seeing results within the first two weeks. I still can't believe how much it's changed my life though?? I never thought I'd get this clear. I was used to having 5+ severe cysts all the time, and I have none right now. NONE!! Not only that, but my skin looks so much healthier too. I thought even if I did manage to get clear that I'd have more scarring or discoloration or texture issues or something but no. My skin is looking better and better everyday. I love trying out new skincare products and having fun with a little bit of makeup here and there. For the first summer in my teenage life I actually want to go out into the sunlight and have fun this summer instead of hiding my face 24/7. Kind of an unexpected result of having clear skin is that I feel more feminine. I've always been insecure about my femininity and spiro unexpectedly gave that security back to me. I go in to my dermatologist later this month for a checkup and I'm so excited to see him and thank him for prescribing spiro to me because it's changed my entire life. And this is only the beginning. I know the longer you're on spiro, the better the results get. I'm so happy spiro worked for me and I'm ready to go live my life and not be self conscious of my skin anymore. I'd definitely urge any females dealing with cystic acne to try spiro BEFORE accutane. Accutane was my last option and I'm so relieved I don't have to take it.

MUST HAVE FOR HORMONAL ACNE
Reviewed on July 4, 2017

I've only been taking Spiro for 6 months now, but I am loving the results! I started with 50mg, then my doctor bumped me up to 100mg. The side effects were too much for me at 100mg, so I'm now back at 50mg. After about 5 months, I couldn't remember the last time I had a pimple. I love everything it's done for my hormonal acne, oily skin, and oily hair. Unfortunately, I really notice the side effects. Once I started taking it on a full stomach at lunch, most/all the issues went away. I am just now starting to worry about its effects with Alcohol. I decided to go down to 25mg and see if that would help while drinking, but after 4 days I've started to break out again, so back at 50mg!

My saving grace!!
Reviewed on June 30, 2017

29 y.o. Female with moderate acne since 12 years old. I have tried every over- the- counter creams/ lotions/ gels, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, zinc, homeopathic remedies, antibiotics, proactiv, birth control, retin-a gel, etc. I did not see improvement except with oral antibiotics which are not good to use long terms so I hated that I was even on them for extended periods when I was younger. Finally after some research I discovered spironolactone. I discussed this with my doctor and she prescribed 100 mg/ day. I started out on 50 mg/day 8 months ago and after tolerating it fine jumped up to 100 mg/day. I did not notice any negative side effects, although I will say that I was also on birth control which can help keep women's periods regular when taking spironolactone. I did not notice significant results until about 1-2 months ago. So it has take over 6 months to see results but wow are they there!! I have gone over a month now with clear skin, something that hasn't happened since I was 12 years old. I went from having to wear foundation/make up 24/7 to going out in public with no make up! Any females struggling with acne please give spironolactone a try. And if you don't see results (I saw little before 6 months) stick with it! If you would've told me at 4/5 months that things were gonna improve I wouldn't have believed it. Because I'd felt like if it was going to work it would've already. But at about 6 months it's like a switch flipped and my skin cleared. Stick with it ladies!!

It works!
Reviewed on June 28, 2017

Hello there!

I've had acne since 19 and now 33, i tried everything : amoxicillin , doxycycline, accutane. For the past 5 years was under control with an ocassional cyst every month. 2 years ago i started spinoro and results were great, after a month no cyst at all, ocassionally every 3 months a huge one. What i noticed if you dont stay hydrated can damage your skin avoiding to heal it and can look aged. I had to stop 6 months ago because caused my pain on my Stomach. So right now big cyst almost everyday. I was for 2 years only on 25mg.

Does anybody stopped it and then taking it again? I hope it will work as before!! Because i have like 4 or 5 cysts all over the face one on my cheek 2 around the mouth and 2 on my chin! So painfull!!!

Treating hormonal acne
Reviewed on June 19, 2017

I had moderate acne for many years. My dosage (Aldactone): 50 mg twice a day after a meal. I didn't have any side effects but after two years I stopped taking it because it was too expensive. Also, my periods became irregular and then absent.

Miracle
Reviewed on May 31, 2017

I'm 36, have had cystic acne since 14 (usually under control via various means, sometimes out of control). It is a very mysterious and shape-shifting disease. Since the age of 29, I was religiously using benzoyl peroxide face wash as the "insulin" to my "diabetes", but moving to a new climate, and being older, I simply could not handle the chemical anymore. My dermatologist offered me Spiro and I'm the last person to take anything extra - I'm vegan and straightedge, but the acne was ruining my life. (This can show it is not a dietary induced cystic acne: I eat a ton of plants and mostly organic). This drug worked within one week. Now, I'm just dealing with acne scars and rebuilding my self-esteem. I also use the acne.org jojoba moisturizer and straight jojoba oil on my face at night