Spironolactone Reviews

Spironolactone
4.21,219 reviews

27 and never experienced an acne treatment like it!

I felt compelled to write a review after relying so heavily on all of the below to make my decision to go on spironolactone. Like many of you, I had taken as much as I can physically deal with in relation to my skin which I have dealt with for around 10 years. Nothing cleared it up. Blood tests for testosterone levels came back normal and hormonal acne was dismissed quite some time ago. Having had a new doctor who suggested that the acne is not because of high testosterone but because of a sensitivity to it I started to research the recommended drug spironolactone and here I am, 4 weeks after starting the drug. Week 1 i started on 25mg per day and was a week of getting to grips with side effects. Slight increase in wanting to wee and increased thirst. Week 2 I woke up with two huge painful cyst spots that took around 4 days to go down. Week 3 saw the cysts go down and a decrease in the rest of the spots on my face. I also upped my dosage to 50mg per day Week 4, I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing. My make up lasted a full 10 hours today which is a miracle for me, I'm usually a greaseball after 5 hours. My skin looks clearer and I'm only seeing the spots that I knew were there, but under the skin, come out. It is no where near perfect and I have a long way to go but this is the first treatment, medical, diet and cosmetic that has made any visable improvement. My dream of walking out the house without make up on seems a little less like a dream now! I really hope it works for anyone reading this. Good luck x

Comments

Should I stick with this med?

Hi all - I'm currently taking spironolactone for my acne (25 mg 2x per day). I'm into the second month and my acne is at its worst. I'm talking about painful, cystic acne along my cheeks and jawline. I've noticed fatigue and an increased appetite. I wondered if any of you experienced these side effects and how long it took to see results. I'm so discouraged and in so much pain. After trying holistic remedies, Accutane, birth control, and antibiotics, I so want this one to work! How long did it take you all to see results? Thanks for the love and support my fellow acne sufferers :)

I'd try a higher dose

Be patient but it definitely works for hormonal acne!

I had moderate to severe cystic acne on my cheeks. It started about 6 months after I had my Mirena inserted. I tried topicals (Aczone, dapsone) and minocycline. Admittedly I wasn’t very patient with this regimen and the dapsone Initial breakout was enough to make me quit using it. I got put on 100mg spironolactone, 50mg twice daily. For months I was frustrated by no results. I kept reading that it took time but I would cry at night and feel so self conscious about the way my skin looked. 5 months in, I started seeing DRAMATIC changes. The acne cleared up significantly but there was still a lot of redness and scarring. From there it only got better. I’m 8 months in, not using any topicals or antibiotics, and my skin is clearer than ever. I do have scarring from the cystic acne and will get lasers if it doesn’t improve in the next 6 months. But I no longer break out and any little bumps on my forehead/ chin have cleared. I never thought I’d be able to not wear foundation (HEAVY) during the day or even out at night until now. I’m so thankful!!!! Please give it a try and be patient if you have hormonal acne. Good luck!

I am 10 weeks into spironolactone. 2 weeks ago ( 8 weeks) My skin cleared up I thought this it, my acne is gone. I was clear for 2 weeks but now I have up in 5 new active cystic acne. I am so fed up, so self-conscious all I think about is my skin. Did you have a similar experience?? Do you think things will get better??

Could anyone answer this? Will this help me?

I am a teen and I have had cystic breakouts on my forehead for about three years now, and just recently I experienced one cystic pimple every now and then on my cheeks. A couple years ago I was prescribed with tretinoin cream and that has helped with my marks and hyperpigmentation but not the actual cysts. I just went to my dermatologist today and she prescribed me with Spironolactone 50mg and I will soon check in with her in about 2 weeks so I can go up to 100mg. Before I start taking it, is there anything I should know about it? I am going into high school and play a lot of sports so I do not want to have to experience any joint or muscle pain. Can Spironolactone help with my cystic breakouts on the forehead?

Cured cystic acne.

Never had acne a day in my life until I became pregnant at 24 and it triggered relentless cystic acne. My breakouts completely ceased within 3 months of the spiro (100 mg), and it looked like entirely different skin completely within 6. I basically consider it a cure. I see people concerned with weight gain, but that’s not something you should anticipate with a potassium sparing diuretic like spironolactone. It will make you thirsty, so stay hydrated, but also mind your electrolytes.

Works for hormonal acne

I have had mild-moderate acne along my cheeks, jawline, and neck for years. It was controlled to varying degrees depending on my level of stress with topical treatments, but I was looking to make better progress. A friend suggested spironolactone given the distribution of my acne. I was prescribed 100mg daily. I stopped getting frequent whiteheads/cystic acne after the first month (see my album!) but I hyperpigment easily so it has been taking a long time for the dark marks to fade. I now take 100mg every other day and this seems to be maintaining my skin well. I haven't had active acne in months at this point. The only side effect I really noticed was dry mouth in the morning and (possibly) more frequent urination. I'm grateful I gave this a try!

I HAVE FOUND MY SOLUTION

Hello, so I have been using acne.org products for a couple years, loved them, the do help, but it's expensive and time consuming, don't want to buy regular and travel size etc. My mom had deep, deep acne as a kid and still has scars at 53 as we know cystic acne can be genetic My acne is mostly on my chin, cheeks, near mouth, on neck, and back indicating a HORMONAL link. I get deep ones on my neck and cheeks especially I tried to balance my hormones to combat it and eat little dairy to help that as well. I exercise and carry a massive 64 oz water bottle that i go through 2-3 times a day every day. I get 6-10 hours of sleep every night usually around 7. Never sleep with makeup on, always go through my elaborate skin care regimen (mostly acne.org stuff besides cleanser, and also use glossier aha+ solution.) And have little stress in my life that's unman aged, I meditate, have a good attitude, and rarely have to face anything too terrible so that's not it. So I'm doing all the things you're supposed to...... I tried Skin care exposed acne.org many generic drug store products (cetophyl, nutragena, Clearasil, etc.) ACNE LASERS (do not recomend, it actually got worse, and I'm not sure why. I did over 10 treatments I believe because my boyfriend wanted to help me conquer this he paid for it so I'm not certain, but it was very painful, expensive, and ineffeftic sadly.) Trtroin cream and gel Many cycles of antibiotics (doxy) Llysiene DIM (did help a lot but didn't fully clear, best thing I've found besides spironolactone though, but more expensive.) Etc. (We've all tried lots of things, you get it, but I thought it might be relevant for people trying to figure out what they should try first or what might work for them based on our possible similarities) Important part: My roommate had really bad, scattered, cystic acne and one day it really started clearing up I asked what she had been doing and she said her doctor prescribed spironolactone. I asked my doctor to do the same, she was all for it. I take 50 mg The first month was really bad, I broke out REALLY hard. But I had seen all the positive reviews and photos that said this would happen and to stick it out, so I did. Month 2.5 I was so happy with my skin, it's SO SOFT and clear. It's incredible to be able to touch my neck and face without tons of textures. My skin did peel really badly around month 1.5-3 so be prepared. It was annoying, but worth it. MONTH 3 I HAVE ZERO active pimples and some red spots that are still healing (I did kind of keep picking throughout the months but I think I will break that as I have nothing left to pick) My makeup goes on incredilbly, I am so, so, so grateful. I was so close to trying accutane but have been putting it off as a last resort because of the side effects. Now I'm free. I sent my doc a thank you card I'm so happy. Please, if you know anyone with hormonal ance, tell them about it, or try it yourself. With my very basic, terrible insurance it's FREE I don't pay a dime for it which is just yet another amazing perk I have before and after pics that are incredible, but it won't let me post them, so if you want to see e-mail me at b.ksully@hotmail.com and I'd be more than happy to share. I want other people to be able to find their solution too.

Comments

Getting tired of the side effects

I've been taking Spironlactone since January, I started with 50 mg for 2 weeks and then increased to 100 mg. I don't recall having side effects with 50 mg, but I did immediately when I increased my dose. I dropped back down to 50 mg for another 2 weeks due to severe breast pain, arrhythmia, and a very heavy cycle that also started almost 2 weeks early. I've been on 100 mg since mid February. I like my results so far. I noticed a big difference by Mid April. I still break out but they are small and go away quicker. The problem is that I have dizziness and headaches almost everyday. I am way more fatigued than usual. My breast pain comes and goes...usually worst around my cycle. My cycle has started consistently early every month since increasing to 100 mg and its a heavier flow as well. I cramp and have back pain also which is not something I usually experience. I might cramp every 3-4 periods but not every single one. Sometimes my heart feels like it flips and flutters in my chest. I've continued taking the medication as prescribed, convincing myself that its stress or anxiety. But I really feel that its the spironolactone because that's when I began experiencing these symptoms. I don't like that I can't take NSAIDs or magnesium with this medication either. Is anyone else experiencing these side effects? Does it get better with time? I'm giving it 4 starts because it absolutely works, but I took a star off for side effects.

Better than OCP

I have been on 150mg Spironolactone for 6 months. I'm 27 and I have had mild-moderate acne on only my face for my entire adult life, it's very much hormonal and my face/hair has always been oily. Multiple doctors tried to sell me on accutane and I refused for years. I have tried everything you can think of, I'm currently on spironolactone, hormonal birth control pills, and use aczone. . . my skin looks the best it has in years. I also moved from Florida to the PNW and this helped my skin because I spend less time in the sun, sweaty and hot. I mostly am just tired of having elaborate facial routines and ruining my clothes/towels/sheets with acne products/bleaching. I have always drank lots of water, exercise every day, eat pretty good and wear sunscreen every day (I'm incredibly fair skinned). I honestly think this pretty good and I prefer Spironolactone every day to hormonal birth control for helping clear up my skin.

Comments

Spironolactone can take away your dermal (lip) filler on your face! Manufacturer of the pill matters!

So my face cleared in a month on pills manufactured by Activas, but my pharmacy changed the manufacturer to Julibant and my face was horrible for 2 months straight. I didn't put two and two together until two days ago and I picked up refills by the manufacturer Amneal (I think they just bought Activas out) and my face is noticeably clearing up and i feel so much dryness. If you've been taking the pill for 2 months and your face hasn't cleared up pay attention to the manufacturer!! It makes a difference. I keep the dosage as 50mg bcs the side effect on 100mg is so much that it takes away the dermal fillers on my face. My body shrinks, too and my butt got flat.

Do you find 50 clears you up still? I once was on Spironolactone but went it off it cause it was sucking the fat out of my face and making me look old but I was on 100mg. I don’t It also broke me out the first 4 months. I want to try again out of desperation but don’t want my fillers sucked out!

DONT GIVE UP, IT WILL GET BETTER

okay, so this is going to be a fairly long review because i want to give details for anyone feeling discouraged or about to start. I was on birth control for 2 and a half years and i suffered with minor acne prior to going on, like very minimal would get the odd cystic spot but i was in the sun a lot so my spots kept at bay, i went on birth control and my skin cleared up completely, then after 2 and a half years when i was on birth control i started to get minor acne again, so i came off and for a good year my skin was on and off, minor acne, annoying but nothing too crazy! and then all of a sudden BAM it just hit me outta nowhere and i started getting really bad cystic acne all over my chin and they started to move up my face, id get a few on my cheek and a few on my forehead like horrible sore red cystic lumps. and i dont know why i didnt go to the dermo then and there but i tried acupuncture, had an amazing diet already but went all in and tried an alkaline diet and nothing worked. So i went to the dermo and she put me on 100mg of spironolactone a day and told me to apply retin A cream every evening and Zindaclin every morning. First month was horrendous, the retin A cream made my skin purge, i was literally shredding like a snake, so sore and red i cried nearly every day, couldnt wear makeup, didnt leave the house, and the spiro made me exhausted, felt so down and weak and my skin purged so i broke out so badly in cystic spots it was awful. Second month was slow, my spots were at bay, and the side affects lifted after 6 weeks and i felt normal again, but my skin was at a standstill, spots had gone down a hell of a lot and because of the retin a cream my scars started fading and my skin got used to the cream so i stopped shredding hallelujah!! but kept getting the odd breakout and didnt really move. Now i am at the end of my third month and thank god, i have finally only just stopped getting breakouts, my face has cleared up 90% and its happened in the last few weeks really quickly! and the cream has taken the scars away like a dream, i have about 5% of scars left on my face, i feel like a new woman. So girls please stick with it, they say around the 3 month mark youll start seeing a difference, and everyones bodies are different but stick with it because i drove myself mad with reading constant review thinking why isnt my face getting clearer, but one day youll wake up and start noticing a change and itll happen quick!!

I’m on spiro right now and your review has given me hope, thank you!
What kind of skincare routine did you do while using Spiro?
I am so glad your skin has cleared! I am on month 2 of spiro and haven't seen much improvement at all:( I began taking an antibiotic (minocycline) today to help keep my break outs at bay until the spiro really kicks in. im so scared the minocycline will cause another initial breakout, I can't fathom the thought of my skin getting any worse. Thank you for posting this review, im going to give spiro another month or 2 and hope it'll start clearing my skin too
I am so glad it has Marina, honestly i know it is hard but you have to persevere! I was told to just stick to Cetaphil morning and night and thats exactly what i have stuck to! which is ideal because i was spending a fortune on skin care products that didnt actually work! cetaphil is so gentle so it has worked perfectly for me! and AVA persevere!!! at month 2 i was still disheartened but one day it just started getting better, i am 4 months into spiro and my skin is so clear .. honestly havent had a breakout for over a month now officially! and i am at my time of the month, i would say it really has taken up until now to work 110% so persevere girlies as you have got this far, dont give up! a little tip too .. i have stopped using foundation on my face every day because apparently it has oil in it that can slow down the process .. now i use bare minerals tinted moisturiser every day and again i have had no spots! Still working on getting rid of some of the dark marks on my face due to the initial breakout but im getting there!! using ketrel for this!
Did anyone get side effects of peeing really bad and had to come off :( like me

Great!

I have been off this site for awhile since my acne went away. However, I thought it was important to let others know my journey. I only had mild to moderate acne since a teenager up to my adult years. There's was constantly always at least one on my face. During the past few years, I was on yaz birth control and that pretty much helped kept everything under control. I decided to not be on it anymore and that's when my face exploded. I started to have tons of bumps everywhere 4 months after stopping bc. I was horrified. I thought it was just stress, but it was more than that. Everything started to creep up in March and by May I had cystic spot everyday. It was so bad that I kept my head down when talking to people. Then by the second month I decided to go back on bc. As bc took long to start kicking in, I went to a dermatologist and she prescribed me spiro two times a day for 100mg a day. It took at least 3 months to see results. Now it has been 7 months and have zero acne. I know how hard it is but please stick with it. Also, be cautious with your diet. I quit eating dairy and sugar all together. I believe this played a huge factor as well. Feel free to ask any questions!

week 4 still waiting...

I know that it might be too soon to review but I am so sad. I am 19 and I've always had what I thought was acne prone skin. Looking back my skin used to be perfect and I took it for granted. This all started in December when I decided to stop taking my birth control,about 2 months later all hell broke loose on my face. I went to see my dermatologist as soon as possible and she prescribed me spironolactone 50 mg twice a day. I started taking Spironolactone almost 4 weeks ago and I have not noticed any changes in my skin. My dermatologist says it will take 8 weeks to start showing signs of improvement, but im feeling so discouraged. However, I know that if I stick with Spiro my skin will get better. I have been taking progress pictures and noticed that around 2 weeks after starting Spiro my skin began to break out or "purge". Then around 3 weeks my skin started to clear. I thought I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and my skin was improving, I was SO happy(I was wrong). Within 2 days after the 3 week mark my skin broke out so bad. I am still in the middle of this breakout. Wondering if the "purge" stage comes in waves? Has anyone else had this experience???

Hi Ava, I am writing this because I experienced exactly what you were experiencing, I was on birth control for 2 and a half years and my skin was beautiful but when i came off it i developed acne all over my chin, horrible big cystic acne it was horrendous so i went to the dermo and they prescribed me spiro 100mg a day with retin a cream to put on in the evening to help with marks on my face .. after the first 2 weeks i broke out so badly then it slowly started to get better, then bam after a month my spots kept at bay, then a few weeks later i was still having breakouts .. not as bad as before but lots of pimpled and then on and off for another month .. but i am offically at the 3 months mark and trust me when i say .. it will get better, my skin is now completely spot free apart from a little spot that came up due to the time of the month but thats it! my face is free of cystic acne, only thing i have left is tiny little lumps that arent dormant from my purging stage that i guess will go with time as they were so bad! so please stick with it because i read a million reviews obsessing over my face taking progress photos but its something you have to stick with and over a period of time itll get better, about a month ago i felt like i was at a standstill with my skin but a whole month later and its kickstarted again and really i can see such a dramatic change! dont be discouraged and stick with it!
thank you for responding Lucy, this was so helpful! I am wondering though, did your skin clear before 3 months or at 3 months exactly? I am now at 5 weeks and I feel as though my skin is starting to get worse again. Your message really gave me hope.
Hi Ava, at 3 months mark, at the 2 months mark i was still struggling with breakouts and feeling frustrated! but between 2 and a half months and 3 i just started to notice a difference! and i am at the 4 month mark and i have had no spots for exactly 1 month! so stick with it girl trust me it will be worth it! i was getting disheartened at your point, but everyones reviews kept me going and i am so glad i stuck with it!

PLS DON'T GIVE UP

I've had chronic cystic acne for the past 5 or 6 years. It started on my forehead, then traveled down to my chin/mouth area and then more recently reached it's very worst, covering my cheeks/sides of face/jaw line. I tried to treat it naturally with diet, etc (but was never perfect or very committed). I did one short course of accutane a year ago. It cleared me up but within 2 months of ending it, I broke out terribly and it's lasted for months. I have hypothyroidism and I know that must have started this spiral of hormone imbalances and subsequent bad skin. As a result, I also had high androgens and very low progesterone. I started taking Spironolactone a little over 3 months ago. It is only in the last 2 weeks that it has started working. So, when they say to wait 3 months... they mean it. I was SO discouraged the first 2 1/2 months. My skin was making NO progress. I felt it was getting worse. But I PROMISE it get's better. I had the SAME breakout for 3 months on my face. The blemishes would not budge. They were huge, red, swollen, and sore. And I kept getting more. In the past 2 weeks or so the breakout has cleared up and I have not gotten a single new blemish, despite being in my ovulatory phase which is always the phase I get a terrible break out in. Please keep at it and don't get discouraged! It takes time but it will work. I also advise you to go see an endocrinologist or other dr that specializes in hormones so you can get tested for imbalances or deficiencies.

Spironolactone is the BOMB

I've been struggling with inflammatory and cystic acne for well over 30 years and have tried every conceivable treatment, including all the topicals, retinoids, oral contraceptives and various antibiotics, and 4 (yes, FOUR) 20-week rounds of Accutane. I would regularly get kenalog shots for the really deep, painful ones. My acne was NO JOKE and was leaving deep scars. Nothing kept my skin consistently clear until spiro. I take 100mg/day now. If I do no topicals at all and just the spiro, I'll get a bunch of small (non-scarring) pimples, but nothing too crazy. But when I add the Acne.org topical regimen to the spiro, my skin stays 100% clear indefinitely. So this is the routine I've been doing for almost 2 years now and it's been life changing!

Spironolactone - Heart palpitations, panic attacks, chest pain, anxiety

I would give this product 0 stars if I could. I have never written a product review in my entire life. I'm a 22 year old, perfectly healthy female. I exercise regularly, I eat a well balanced diet and have suffered from moderate acne for the majority of my teens/early 20s. I am completely mentally stable, I don't do drugs, have great friends / job / self esteem etc. After coming off the pill and roaccutane my acne started to re appear and so my dermatologist reccommended spiro. It worked alright for the first 3 months until I started getting horrible horrible heart palpitations which lead to 10 panic attacks in 2 weeks. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANXIETY OR A PANIC ATTACK IN MY WHOLE LIFE. The worst was when 4 in a row in 2 hours and had to be taken to the emergency room. Everyday for those 2 weeks I was constantly experiencing chest pain and heart palpitations, constantly fighting off another panic attack with deep breathing etc. I had a million theories why it might be happening, but the doctors assured me it wouldn't have been aldactone! Only after my GP and I did some research (I'm a psych student studying psychiobiology), and I went off spiro, did I return completely back to normal. PLEASE NOTE: this drugs HAS NOT been TESTED systematically for ACNE. It is and OFF LABEL DRUG. Be careful what you take, it may not have the same effects, but be goddam careful.

Hi love, what dosage of spiro were you taking?

Spironolactone is the only treatment that worked

I've been taking Spiro for 9 years now and it has been the only thing that has kept my moderate acne away. I never had cystic acne but had many painful pimples and pustules. Prior to Spiro I tried topicals, oral antibiotics, and even Accutane. I tried different things for over a decade and none of it worked. The only acne scars I have, I got while taking Accutane, which made my skin flare up terribly. I was also constantly sick to my stomach the entire month and a half I took Accutane. If you're an adult female and still suffer with acne, please try Spironolactone before resorting to Accutane. The side effects of Spiro are minimal, if any, and it's very effective at combating hormonal acne. I had to ask my dermatologist to prescribe it to me. She didn't believe it would work. Thankfully, she was wrong.

Hello Silver12 how long did it take for Spirronlactone to take effect on your skin

Game Changer for Hormonal Acne

I have tried almost every type of acne treatment there is out there. Spironolactone is the only thing that made a real difference. Not only do I rarely have acne, but when I get a spot it goes away quickly! It's important that your dermatologist starts you off on a low dose. I started with 25 mg. Then went to 25 mg twice a day. Then 50 mg twice a day. You should be drinking a lot of water while on this--I drink like four liters a day. I personally didn't have any side effects besides having to pee a lot--could just be the water though. Also, you will gain weight easily if you have a high intake of potassium. I also take Junel Fe 1.5/3.0 for both birth control and acne/hormonal control. Everyone should know that this will make your birth control less effective, so think about using another form of birth control in addition.

Thankful

I had severe acne since middle school. I would have acne on my face, back, and chest. Senior year of high school, my acne was so embarrassing that I could never leave the house without makeup because I was so scared of what people would think about me. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed spironolactone 50mg for my skin. I would take one pill in the morning and one at night. I was also prescribed epiduo which is a gel that you rub into your face after you wash it at night. On top of these two medications I would wash my face with benzoyl peroxide 10% with a Clarisonic electric brush. So just a recap I would take my 50mg spironolactone twice a day, wash my face with 10% benzoyl peroxide twice a day, and then rub epiduo gel on my face. Although it took 3 months to see a difference, the wait was worth it. All three of these things have completely cleared up my acne and I feel like I can finally be myself again. I hope this helps.

Dont give up!!!

Started getting acne at age 14/15, tried everything (aczone, doxycycline, tazorac, facials, changing pillow cases, cutting out dairy). Even went on Accutane. It got so bad that I stopped going out, would always try to cover my face when talking to people, etc. Finally I broke down to my dermatologist and she prescribed me spironolactone (50/mg). Two, three, four weeks in I didn't notice any improvement but acne also did not get worse like others have mentioned. Finally after 7 weeks its COMPLETELY CLEAR, after a decade of acne. Heres my regimen : wash face nightly with Cetaphil gentle cleanser, take spironolactone, drink tons and tons of water. I do not have any side effects from the medication that I have noticed. Im still dairy free just because I feel better that way! Short story: don't give up, I wanted to quit after 3 weeks but don't. You will get there!

Comments

Depression new low/suicidal thoughts (TRIGGER WARNING)

I'm 19 years old and have been dealing with acne of all sorts since I was 12. Different things have worked for me at different times for the most part (epiduo at age 12-14, ortho tri cyclen at 15) but since graduating high school about 2 years ago, I've had this acne that I have not been able to get to go away no matter what I try. About a month ago, I went to the dermatologist and ended up being prescribed spironolactone and cefadroxil. The cefadroxil was supposed to be for the period of time that it takes for the spiro to "kick in" but I ended up discontinuing it due to side effects and seeing absolutely no difference in my acne. I was prescribed these because I expressed my concern with taking hormonal birth control considering I had extreme depression while on ortho tri cyclen and when I had an IUD. I also was not ready to go for Accutane (and unfortunately never will be). So, with no warnings from the dermatologist, I was feeling hopeful about the spironolactone. A few days ago, I had an intense dissociative/depressive episode where I had to be physically held back by my boyfriend for 1-2 hours because I was trying to leave his house so I could go to mine and take my life. I did not feel like myself, and certain details from the night seem to be very fuzzy in my memory. All I can seem to remember is seeing an image of a pill bottle (oxycontin) in my mind for at least 20 minutes straight and feeling as though it was calling my name, telling me to come take all of the pills. I also remember I was extremely angry at my boyfriend for trying to stop me, and was trying to push past him as he tried to talk me out of it. I should note that NOTHING like this has EVER happened to me before. I've definitely been in a funk the past month while on this medication, but I wrote it off because I suffer from mild depression anyways. My mom and I were surprised and angered to find that there are a plethora of hits when you search spiro and depression. TL;DR: Spironolactone increased my depression to an extremely dangerous point, and in the mean time didn't even work on my acne. NOT worth it at ALL.

Patience is key

I've had acne for over a decade. When I was 19, my skin cleared up and I stopped using acne products altogether. Then I got my nexplanon put in and all hell broke loose on my face. I got the worst acne of my life and even started getting occasional cystic acne (which I had never had before). That's when I made my first derm appointment and he prescribed me a combination of 100mg spironolactone, aczone, and ovace lotion. I started all three at the same time, so I can't tell you which caused it, but my face immediately ceased 80% of its oil production. The only side effect was that I noticed that I got light headed a little easier when I stood up, but that's it. For the first month, I broke out terribly and officially had the worst acne of my life since I had my nexplanon inserted. It wasn't until I was on spironolactone for about a month and a week that I noticed any changes in my acne. Instead of having 20-30 pimples on my face at all times, I had 4 or 5. I'm still only about a month and a half into this, and I see my acne disappearing more and more each day. I am so happy with the results. My suggestion is to STICK WITH IT because it took a while for it to work for me and much longer for other people. In fact, it seems like it worked unusually fast for me.

Popular Oral