Solodyn Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Brand: Solodyn

Solodyn Oral Antibiotic

Not sure it's worth the pain

I am a 56 yr old female, I have suffered with acne since the age of 13 and have been on every product known to man including accutane twice, Retin A and a host of others, My dermatologist prescribed SOLODYN 55mg about a week and a half ago. I came down with what I presumed to be a stomach flu 2 days ago, I was extremely dizzy (vertigo) ,upset stomach,and very tired , When I got up this morning to take my daily medication I just happen to read the side effects for the heck of it and Viola! It was everything I was feeling for the past 3 days , Unfortunately my doctor wont be in till Tues because of the holidays but I will cease my medication until then and see if it stops and I'm able to return to work.

Cleared skin

Definitely take it with a snack when you take it because it might upset your stomach if you don't. Other than that, I had no problems with this med! I was on it for quite some time last year and then stopped taking it because I don't like being on anti-biotics for more than 3 months. My skin was fine though, and I like how if I have a flare-up, I can just take a few and my skin improves quickly!

Comments

please answer this question!

I am 13 and have been having acne for about a year. I tried a lot and my doctor just prescribed me solodyn. also onexton in the morning and ziana at night. I have been using this routine for about 10 days. I haven't seen much improvement. but I want to know does this product really work. and should I just give it some time? and if so how much time?

I’m on pretty much the same thing as you! I’m also thirteen! I also take spironolactone and use a retinoid instead of ziana. I’ve been using it for about a month and seen a slow improvement from about 2-3 weeks, so It takes awhile you just need to be patient but if it comes to like 3 months and there’s no improvement talk to ur doc! You should be fine so far though!

Side effects.

Solodyn (Minocycline) side effects. Had a sebaceous cyst removed. After 14 days, was oozing some and doctor couldn't determine if was infected so gave some samples of Solodyn of 80 mg. Infection seemed to go away but was some seeping after I quit early because of other side effects. Didn't clear up any life long acne. When I quit, the acne got worse for about a month. After approximately 3 months, no change. SOLODYN left a greyish discoloration of the skin on my back of around 10 inches in diameter. Tiredness after approx. 5 days but didn't attribute that to the drug until more symptoms started to occurr including tighter tendons and muscles, the feeling moving fast might cause a charly horse in legs, a short headache (almost never get these), a few seconds of ringing in the ears (rare for me),woozy heavy head, chills(indicates fever) that I sweated out in one day, abnormal achy, spent more and more time in bed dragged down, my knees started to get sore (Not Normal at all), and vertigo when I rose from bed that would go away if I sat on the edge of the bed for a moment. Quit the meds 10 days in because it became clear they were deleterious. Started improving immediately but took about a month to feel totally myself again. I also took Probiotics to avoid diarhea which started to happen with this drug but went away afterwards if I took them daily. I kept taking probiotics for at least a month afterward to correct that. Read the paper that came with the bottle regarding side effects. Not just the back of the bottle! Some of my symptoms listed made me wonder how they line up with their side effects list. Capitals are what I experienced in the listed side effects.: -Intestine infection of watery DIARHEA. It kills all the beneficial bacteria which I found out later is a huge part of immunity. -Liver problems-Causes sleepiness & TIREDNESS. -Central nervous system effects-light headedness,dizziness and SPINNING FEELING(vertigo) -Benign intracranial hypertension-high pressure around the brain(,my WOOZY HEAVY HEAD),blurred vision,loss or UNUSUAL HEADACHES. -Auto Immune system-incl. a lupus-like syndrome'-'JOINT PAIN, FEVER,..MALAISE' And then they recommend testing? Just stop taking the stuff'. When I later read it can cause Lupus symptoms, I chastised myself for not reading the side-effects first. Who wants to gamble with your body like that? Then I read this stuff hasn't been evaluated in the treatment of infections. It's meant for inflammatory lesions of non-nodular moderate to severe acne vulgaris. I'm shocked that so many people are on it long term when the instructions say it hasn't been tested for more than two times at 14 days each with the mean age of the population at 20 years. It says 'The mechanism of action of SOLODYN for the treatment of acne is unknown'�, 'Long term animal studies have not been performed to evaluate the carcinogenic potential of minocycline. A structurally related compound, oxytetracycline, was found to produce adrenal and pituitary tumors in rats.'�

Great Success! Worth the Wait

I have been taking this medication daily for just over 2 months now, and I finally have nearly clear skin. I've struggled with cystic acne since I was 13 (now 22) but it was never bad enough to where I just wanted to hide in my room for months until about 2 years ago. I started getting getting more than just cystic acne and it was all over the lower half of my cheeks and sometimes on my chin. I didn't start seeing results until 2 or 3 weeks ago, but it was like it all vanished at once. Today I only have 2 small cysts and the rest of my skin is completely clear (though it's hard to tell due to the massive amount of scarring.) Despite the face that I've also been trying a few topical products alongside this, I'm sure that Solodyn is responsible for most of the success since I've tried almost everything topical under the sun over the last 9 years and have never had results come even close to clear. The other products I've been using are Acanya, Cetaphyl oil control wash and Cetaphyl oil control moisturizer SPF 15, also recently added Aloe straight from the plant.

Comments

Works, but only when I'm using it.

I was prescribed Solodyn 105mg for the second time recently. What I can say is this: it does wonders. My face began to clear up about two days after I began taking the pill. It stops all breakouts for me as well as reduces the redness from pimples dramatically. The only issue is that when I'm off it, I begin breaking out just like before around a few weeks after I stop taking it. The first time I took Solodyn, I was using it for three weeks. I stopped taking it for around a month, and am now back on it after breaking out pretty badly once I was finished the first course. Solodyn works for me very well, but only when I'm taking the pill.

Finally acne free!

I felt the need to register here again cause acne really was troublesome for me. I cannot say that I have tried "everything" before, but I did try a lot of things: differin, acne.org regimen (for more than a year), salicylic acid, peels, dieting, exercising, drinking more water, tea tree oil, even going without make up. None of those helped me of course. I did go to dermatologists, one didn`t even glance at my skin and prescribed me his expensive regimen (which of course never helped me). After that was very skeptical about going to dermatologist again. I though she would put me on Accutane (which I was afraid of), but she prescribed me this paired with topical cream that didn't do a thing to my skin. This saved my skin! I have been on it for a bit more than 2 months and I NEVER get red pimples again! I do have a bit of whitehead action going on on my chin, but it`s getting better with AHA+ glycolic acid thing that I bought here. I am happy with the skin I see in the mirror for the first time on last 1,5 years and I wish everyone the same thing! Hope this thing will work magic on y'all too!

Does it only work for red inflamed acne?

Stay patient and hopeful

I never feel the need to write reviews but after battling acne I feel I need to. I am 20 yrs old and have had clear skin up until I was about 18. Break outs were always mild but this past year my jaw line and cheeks were constantly broken out. Been to three dermatologists and NOTHING worked until my latest derm. She prescribed me solodyn and today marks my 12 week point. I am very impatient and was losing hope because it did not seem to be working. This past week however my skin is noticeably clearer (knock on wood) and breakouts have stopped. Listen to your doctor when she tells you to be patient! I also was prescribed spironolactone about 9 weeks ago so I am sure that is helping as well. Waiting three months for results is nothing compared to never having clear skin, trust me. I cleanse with Cerave and also moisturize with the brand. Still not perfect but I would say I am 85% better. Stick with it everyone, it sucks to hear that things will get worse before they get better but it is true.

Does it work for whiteheads, blackheads and tiny pimples?

Works... But not for me

I've been using Solodyn for about 3 weeks now. My dermatologist has me taking half of a 115mg Tablet once a day along with Aczone and Acanya. It's definitely cleared up most of the inflamed acne but everything else is still present. I think this is because I have extremely oily skin so my pores are constantly being clogged. Before this I was on Doxycyclin for a little while which did absolutely nothing. Then Aczone and Acanya with little improvement. Hence the reason why my doctor threw in Solodyn. If cystic acne is your main problem then this will probably work for you. But personally I'm just waiting on my follow up date so that I can beg for Accutane.

Doxycycline literally did absolutely nothing for me either!

Did absolutely nothing!

I took this medication for about a year after trying many other orals and topicals and my doctor was certain it would clear me up. At first it seemed to help a bit, less noticeable bumps and small break outs. But after a month my skin returned to its normal state. My doctor was convinced that I should stay on the medication and I somehow ended up on it for a year with NO change. One day I decided to stop taking it on my own and honestly my skin improved. At my next appointment my doctor commented on how the medication was finally working and I simply laughed and told her I wasn't even taking it.

Disappointed

I was on solodyn for 6 months. While on this pill my acne got worse before it got better. When my doctor took me off the pill my skin was clear, but two months later its back. Seems like it only works when you're on the pill.

Pretty ineffective

I have severe cystic acne and took Solodyn for about a month. It might have helped decrease some of the pimples, but did very little for the inflammation of my cysts. If your acne is not severe or cystic, it will probably work for you. If it is, you'll probably need something stronger.

Relief... Finally!

I've always suffered from acne ever since puberty. I've never had clear skin until last year when I used honey consistently. About eight months ago I had some health problems and had to stop taking my BCP. Within a few short weeks my clear skin erupted. It got very dry and itchy. For the first time in my life, I had cystic acne. I was in denial and thought I could fix it with natural products because that worked before... but eventually I decided to see a derm. I was first prescribed a low does of 65 mg and spiro. At my six week follow up, my skin was a lot better, but I was still wasn't happy with it. He upped Solodyn to 105 mg and added aczone for the active acne on my face. Its only been two weeks but finally I'm seeing results. I've only had one new pimple since the change and its on the side my neck (easy to cover). I'm glad to finally have relief!

Comments

Works, but not on its own.

Easy to take Few Side Effects Works Cost Must take at the same time daily I've been using Ziana nightly and Acanya in the mornings for about 2 & 1/2 months now. My dermatologist added Solodyn to the mix about 2 & 1/2 weeks ago. I noticed a difference in about 1 week. The ziana and acanya cleared up my forehead but there were still some lingering marks and new pimples appearing around my jawline and chin. The Solodyn helped dry them and reduce the inflammation greatly. I've also noticed that new pimples seem to be less red and smaller. As far as side effects go, I've hardly felt any at all. I take the solodyn on a full stomach around lunch time and I avoid dairy. Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone with moderate acne.

Fantastic!

Works quickly Can make you dizzy Expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it Let me start by saying that I've only been on it for 10 days. Regardless, I'm impressed. I went to my dermatologist last week for a 3 month follow-up, and I had two complaints. 1) I was taking 100 mg of Doxy, which was making me sick, and I wasn't seeing much of a change, and 2) I had terrible contact dermatitis on my eyelids (possibly from one of my topical medications). This was the second time I had contact dermatitis, though it never completely went away the first time. I asked him if he could put me back on minocycline, as I had taken it for years and it worked. He suggested Solodyn. I noticed a difference within 3 days. My old spots are drying up, and my scarring is starting to go away too. But what made me leave this review is I just realized that my contact dermatitis is 100% gone for the first time since before Thanksgiving. I don't know if this has something to do with minocycline being an anti-inflammatory, or what, but I'm thoroughly impressed.

LISTEN TO ME

Reduces redness Gets rid of blemishes Takes time. BE PATIENT don't give up Gets worse before it gets better LISTEN TO ME. I understand everybody reacts to medications differently , but I believe solodyn really works. I've been using it for a little bit more than a month. I'm using solodyn 55mg. It got worse a few times in this first month month, but I dealt with it. It was weird because as soon as I finished my 1 month bottle, I saw a difference in my skin. I have VERY sensitive skin, red, bumpy, inflamed and discolored. Taking this before bed is best so it absorbs better with an empty stomach. BUT besides solodyn I STRONGLY suggest taking turmeric curcumin supplements AND using the turmeric face mask 2-3 times a week. Here's the link for the ingredients of the mask. [link removed] This WORKS. Especially for sensitive skin. It makes your skin extremely soft and smooth and brightens tone! I know you've tried EVERYTHING and so have I ! But I finally found something to control my inflamed irritated skin. I highly recommend solodyn and the turmeric face mask and supplements. Also drink a lot of natural green tea with antioxidants! A cup a day. Let me know how this work!

Comments

Caused low white blood cell count

Cleared up acne Caused low white blood cell count This product worked great for me for 2 years. I did not see any negative side effects until I got a routine blood draw. My white blood cell count was so low my doctor suspected Leukemia and recommended a bone marrow test. Thankfully we did our research before proceeding. Solodyn can cause a low white blood cell count and other auto-immune problems (you can find this info on the manufacturer's website). I stopped taking the drug and my count went back to normal!

After you stopped taking the Solodyn, did your acne come back?

Question about Solodyn

clears skin possibly counteracts birth control Solodyn works great for my skin and I take it along with my birth control but there is a possibility that it can counteract my birth control I was wondering on here if anyone has had that experience? I'm not sure if continuing solodyn would be for me if i knew there was an increased possibility of getting pregnant while using this product

Comments

Works fast! Completely cleared my skin within a month No serious side effects Expensive if you don't have very good insurance Solodyn was the very first thing my dermatologist ever prescribed me, and it worked wonders! I saw a huge difference within just 2 weeks, and not a month later my skin was completely clear. I was on it for about 5 months (the best 5 months of my life!) when my insurance switched and no longer covered the cost, so I had to switch to the generic which is Minocycline. After switching to Minocycline, my skin started to breakout again and it got really bad. The worst my skin has ever been. My dermatologist recommended staying on it for at least 3 months to see if it would get any better, but it never did so I went off it completely. A few months later there was a change in my insurance again and I got back on Solodyn, but unfortunately it never did anything as I suspect my system grew immune to it. But the months that it worked were probably some of the best months of my life and I wish there had never been an issue with the insurance so I could have seen how long it would have kept my skin clear. It was a miracle worker while it lasted. :)

Guest Cynthia
Guest Cynthia

None Hives Burning and Itching all over Dizzyness Body Aches My daughter took this medication for 3 weeks. She suddenly broke out in hives. They looked like someone beat her with a belt. They were burning and itchey. She wanted to jump out of her skin. This lasted about 2 weeks. Cannot in good conscience recommend this to anyone.

It's unfortunate that she had an allergic reaction to this medication. It is important for other readers to understand that a select few may have hypersensitivity to the drug class of tetracyclines (just as others may have for sulfa drugs, pencillins, etc). But to others reading this, do realize that this was a reaction and not an adverse effect of the medication.

Works very good Takes time Few break outs early on Expensive Suffered with acne since 14 and it has never gotten better till I was put on Solodyn. Truly a blessing from God! I can now not worry about my acne, and continue life with my new gained confidence.

Guest Jeannie
Guest Jeannie

I am 60 years old and still suffer from large primples, mainly on my chin. I know Solodyn works because I've stopped twice between prescriptions, and the pimples come right back. I keep my face clean and use a topical daily, so I know it's the Solodyn that clears up the problem! None for me At my age, I think Solodyn is the safest for me.

Comments

It DOES Work No serious Side effects It takes time Dry Skin If you're doctor prescribes you solodyn don't give up after one or two weeks. This stuff takes time to work. It has to purge all of the bacteria out of your skin. After about 1-2 months you should start to see results and they are amazing. I was a moderate acne sufferer and started to take this stuff along with retin-a and erithromycin gel about 2 months ago. Face got worse for the first 2-3 weeks but then started to improve dramatically.

Comments

Clears up very fast. Severe headaches Fatigue Dizziness Lost of appetie Itching Tiredness Body Aches and Pain I do not recommed this product to anybody the side effects are terrible! I had to go to the hospital I was running into walls having double vision. I hated it.

Popular Oral