Smoothbeam Laser Acne Treatment Reviews

Brand: Smoothbeam

Smoothbeam Laser Acne Treatment

Temporary moderate results

I suffer from cystic acne and have sensitive, but oily skin. After receiving 4 smoothbeam treatments, I didn't notice any results at first. However, after a month or so after my final treatment, once the acne I had started to clear, I experienced a noticeable reduction in new cysts, specifically on my forehead (where I am oiliest). I also suffer from pretty severe hormonal acne along my jawline, which I don't believe the treatments helped much. It has been ~5-6 months since my last laser and I was getting quite oily again in my t-zone and suddenly got a cystic breakout on my forehead (about 2-3 cysts, which is still much less than I would experience prior to laser treatments). I knew that my aesthetician mentioned maintenance treatment after about 6 months, so last week I went in for another smoothbeam treatment. Already, my skin is much less oily and my forehead breakout has cleared up. I want to emphasize that I do not think smoothbeam is a cure-all but it may be a solution for a very specific skin-type and type of acne.

Waste of money!

Before the procedure, I was told that many patients see noticeable results even after the first treatment, but of course, "everyone responds differently." Tried first treatment of Smoothbeam. Absolutely NO improvement whatsoever. Nurse practitioner then says it usually takes 2-3 treatments to see results. Being at the point of being close to desperate about finding a treatment that works, I gave it another shot. After second treatment, still nothing. No visible improvement. I still broke out, old and new scars were still there. Nurse says well, usually it takes 6 treatment to get the results. Well, I wasn't about to roll the dice and pay an additional $250 a pop for something that did absolutely nothing. At least I didn't get any discoloration as some people have unfortunately reported. But it was a total waste of $500 for me. Sadly most dermatologists just try to push treatments to patients. Still searching but I'm now trigger-shy because like most people, I hate wasting money. And I have stopped going to this dermatologist.

Comments

no side effects did not work did 6 treatments hoping it was going to cure my acne. just waisted my money . I did not had any side effects like some of the people have commented on. it just didn't work never made my acne better stayed the same . the only thing it did was made my face less oily . but for $300.00 a treatment I expected more than just giving me a less oily face ..

Comments

so iv only done my first session so far and im loving everything about it, it is my first session so my face isnt completely clear yet i have 2 more sessions to go but i can definitely feel the difference and see the difference. my face looks lighter from the scaring removal and all of my face is alot clearer and the acne is alot lighter and going away and this is only my first treatment that i got 4 days ago and it wasnt painful at all because of the numbing cream. my skin is peeling-ish from the treatment my specialist said that would only be for about a week and its nothing a little lotion fixes right up for now. people who write these bad reviews on it saying they got hyperpigmentation that is only because they did not prep their face before the treatment with the preping cream the give you. if you forget to put that cream on every night you will hyperpigmentate and people who complain about it being so "painful" its not 1 bit... it feels like a baby got a okay pinch on you and as they go more along the face you just get use to it and it feels like nothing and its not long at all.

Comments

None Hyperpigmentation I have East Asian skin, and got the Smooth Beam laser treatment done 8 months ago to help with my mild acne scarring. The procedure was recommended by a dermatologist and performed by a medical nurse who explained the procedure every step of the way. She seemed nice and experienced. I followed aftercare instructions and stayed away from the sun. I did a bit of research and it seemed like a low risk procedure to do at the time. Now I am left with stripes of hyperpigmentation through the sides of my cheeks. In the past 8 months I have spent a lot of money trying to correct this problem with peels, microdermabrasion, Retinol, green light photorejuvination therapy, kojic acid, hydroquinone, and lumixyl. Some of them have helped to slightly lighten the dark lines, but I am still left with the hyperpigmentation. I originally got this procedure done because I wanted to wear less makeup, and now I have to wear more make up and cover the sides of my face with my hair. I feel extremely self-conscious, and cannot just jump into the pool during vacations anymore. I hide under the shade, and have to stay away from the sun at all times, or the lines will get even darker. Please please do not get lasers done on your face. It is just not worth the risk. If I can turn back the clock, I would never put myself in such a situation again. It is much better to be patient and take your time with less invasive methods. Even if the risks are low, it only takes one bad result to change your life forever. I did this to myself, and I have to live with it now.

Comments

- Skin feels tighter - Big reduction in pimples and oil on my face - Pores seem to be smaller - My skin is generally much better than before - Can be a little uncomfortable on the higher settings I have had 3 treatments to date and have tried many different settings. The first time I went I had it on a relatively low setting but the technician did several passes over my entire face. On subsequent visits I have been taking a more intense treatment, it is a little uncomfortable at first but with the anesthetic cream you quickly get used to it and its not much to worry about. I would highly recommend the treatment to anyone who has suffered from acne. It's really helped me a lot. I am 2nd Generation Australian with rather light skin. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I have read several of the posts below and do not really understand where most people are going wrong, I did not experience any redness or down time at all and went straight back to work.

Guest Tim
Guest Tim

Leaves your skin feeling tight and smooth for a little while. Not sure on the long term results as of yet. I go for my 4th treatment in 2 days. A little painful even with numbing cream. $200 per session is a little expensive, but if it works then it will be work every penny. I have had 3 treatments thus far with a month in between each. I go for my 4th in two days. I don't see a difference yet, but I am hoping that it will help with the scars on my cheeks soon. From what I have been able to research, it seems that you don't really see a benefit to scars until a few months after your 4th treatment. I haven't had bad acne for years thanks to accutane when I was in my late teens, but I was left scarred and we all know how they make you feel.

Guest S
Guest S

None caused severe hyperpigmentation I underwent two treatments of smoothbeam and although the first time I did not have any negative reaction, the second time I developed severe swelling and crusting of the skin. Within a week, the swelling subsided however I was left with severe hyperpigmentation. Even after three years of diligent usage of hydroquinone and other bleaching products, my face is still 10% scared by the procedure. I am of Indian origin with medium skintone. The dermatologist seemed quite surprised that I pigmented in this manner. It was truly one of the most difficut phases of my life. Please DO NOT use smoothbeam especially if you pigment easily.

Comments

made my face feel cleaner and smoother my face is completley red i have only got the first treatment done but my face is completley red. its has been 3 weeks sense my first treatment and my face is still completley red. I dont no what to do..... anyone have any ideas?

Guest Ag
Guest Ag

none expensive, do not work, made my skin worst This treatment did not work for me. be careful , make sure you go to the right dermatology. i have black spots on my skin after the treatment and more scars. the doctor did not care at all.

Comments

Clear up active acne andd improve skin texture. Minimal side effects. I have had acne for 15+ years, and have tried numerous treatments including Accutane and other laser treatments, this is the only laser treatment that cleared up my acne.(Accutane worked too, but the side effects are too much). A bit pricey, and you do need to go to a doctor's office to get it done.(I drove 100 mile every 2 weeks for this treatment). Skin will be a bit dry and sensitive after the treatment, but putting on some B5 gel solved the problem in my case. I got some red marks after the treatment, but they faded in 4 to 5 days. I do get a flare of break out right after the treatment,but then my skin get cleared up. It takes several treatment to see results, so be patient. It does work! Result will show gradually. I just finished my 4th treatment, and my skin cleared up almost completely.(only 1 zit left, I used to have at least 20 zits in average). I will post another review when I finish my 6th treatment.

Guest Valerie
Guest Valerie

So I have had pretty bad acne and this treatment was a lifesaver. It helped my acne and scarring and prevents new outbreaks.I get numbing cream and then the treatment is almost painfree. I get my treatments at LASERKLINIC ([link removed]). The service/treatments/staff the best. I get numbing cream and then the treatment is almost painfree. Proven effective treatment for acne and acne scars and prevention of new acne!

Guest Lisa
Guest Lisa

Works but you have to be patient-usually after the 3rd fourth treatment you start breaking out less You have to be fine with being a little sensitive for a week after treatment--maybe a blister or two but so worth it. It's not cheap but it works for my non inflammatory acne

User127609

Significantly improves rolling acne scars and other types of acne scars, gentle to the skin, no recovery time Depending on skin type you may have some red pigmentation after but goes away after a couple days. I use smoothbeam for my acne scars, ive been having treatments since last march. My acne scarring was pretty moderate but now i have seen about 60% improvement. I know this works which is a relief and i continue to have treatments until im satisfied with my skin. I would recommend this. Im not sure how it is for acne...but for scars it definitely works. Ive had about 13 treatments. Also, it takes 6 months from your first treatment until you see results so you have to be patient.

Guest Den
Guest Den

5% improvement from the first treament. Nothing negative to say about it so far because Ive only had one treatment. I will post a final review after all my treatments are done, but here is what I can say for now: I reall thought my face was going to be red after the first treament but no, no redness whatsoever. I did have minor swelling though, but that disappeared after 3 hours. I did see a minor improvement right after the treatment and I cant wait until Im done with all treatments.

Guest NA
Guest NA

It did clear up my breakouts, but who knows what it will do in a couple months from now. Told me the redness would only be a couple hours after treatment.Its been 3 days & Im BEYOND red,burnt&bruised.I called them today,& they want to see me as soon as I get out of work.I cant believe I worked for the past 3 days looking like this!!! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who doesn't have severe acne because their face may turn out like mine. All of this redness, bruising, burntness......I don't even know if it's going to go away. It looks the same as when the treatment was finished, except much worse. Hopefully they will figure out something for my face tonight.

Guest Rene
Guest Rene

I am a 50 year old person with adult acne. After about 4 treatments, I started seeing results. By the sixth treatment I was not getting breakout. It is a bit painful, but well worth it. I have moved to Montgomery, AL and can not find anyone that has the lazer. I am very bummed out and would sell the lazer myself if I knew who to get a hold of to be a sales person. They need to get on board down here in the South.

Guest Maria
Guest Maria

Clear beautiful skin with no long term side effects Diminshed lines and wrinkles Not covered under my medical insurance but an eligible expense under a FSA or Medical Saving Account with letter of medical necessity from your doctor Cost ($300.00/treatment) Pain and swelling , increasing as intensity is increased. Can cause hyperpigmentation on darker skin tones - I am a fair skinned blonde so I haven't experienced that side effect I LOVE this treatment! I am 46 years old & had severe acne as long as I can remember. I went to an old school derm that had me on various antibiotics for around 5 years with mixed results - one would stop working & then it was on to the next. I finally changed doctor. I started with Accutane, but I only got thru 50% of the treatment & had to stop due to severe dry eyes. My doctor then suggested Smoothbeam. I have had 6 treatments so far & have not had a breakout in months! The first treatment was a walk in the park - used a mild numbing cream & didn't feel anything - no big deal I thought. However, as the strength was increased I experienced increased redness & swelling. The tech ices my face during the treatment & I now ice it for a day or 2. Yes, it's extremely painful - I am now using superstrength numbing cream.But I am off medication for the 1st time in years and my skin has never ever been better. I will continue this on a maintenance basis - every 3 mths.

Guest Molly Girl
Guest Molly Girl

After 5 sessions of of Smoothbeam (immediately followed by V-Beam) laser my face was totally clear! I only needed minimal skin care to keep it looking great. I had clear skin for 2 years. Very expensive (about $350 per session for full face), can be painful, I couldn't go anywhere the rest of the day after having a treatment because of redness (which was gone the next day). It's not permanent (lasts about 1-2 years). I'm 30, and while I had acne as a teenager it didn't get very bad until my mid 20s. This was the first treatment I had that really worked (after trying many treatments, prescriptions, etc.). I went to the Baylaser Clinic in Toronto. The doctor who administered treatment told me it wasn't permanent, and I'd need maintenance treatments about every 1.5 yrs. In the last 2 months (2 years after the last session) my acne has returned full force. I've started another round of treatments with the same doctor and laser clinic. I've recently realized that my acne is a symptom of an underlying hormonal disorder (with which I'm in the process of being diagnosed - possibly PCOS). So while I'm treating the acne again with the laser treatment, I will also be actively trying to get to the root cause and treating that. So, if you can afford this treatment I do recommend it. You must stick with it for all the sessions. Find a clinic that has a medical doctor administer the treatment.

Guest vimogo
Guest vimogo

hi i would to talk to Cristina Nicolau, New Jersey pliss add me vimogo1@[link removed] i have a few questions ta ask you thanks i hpe you reply

Guest Cristina Nicolau
Guest Cristina Nicolau

Completely cleared up my acne scars, and reduced breakouts for about a year. Acne came back. After trying a variety of topical acne medications, as well as oral antibiotics, I decided to try smoothbeam since my acne kept coming back. I had many scars all over my cheeks due to the type of acne I had (cysts, and nodules). After 5 treatments at 333.00 a session my scars COMPLETELY went away and my breakouts were reduced to maybe one zit around the time of my period. After about a year acne free, and only using topical treatments to try and maintain the results, I decided to stop using the topical treatments. My acne came back and I had to do another 4 sessions of smoothbeam. I went on oral contraceptives which controlled the hormonal cause of acne, and topical treatments to control the bacteria. The acne is under control now, but I still get some breakouts. I am going to try a new treatment called ISOLAZ to see if I can control the breakouts. Bottom line, I would definintely recommend this for acne scars, not so much to control acne breakouts.

Comments

smoother skin (temporarily) covered by insurance effectively treated acne while getting treatments redness and swelling 1-3 days after (only 2 of 4 treatments) Once laser treatments were stopped, acne returned The sunbeam/vbeam worked great while being treated (aside from the inconveniences of taking off of work, etc). However, my dermatologist was able to get my insurance to cover the laser treatment by writing a letter stating that I had tried numerous accutane treatments and they were not effective.. In the year since I finished my 4 treatments and my skin atarted to break out again a month or two after my last treatment. Ironically, I actaully then ended up going back on accutane because that has longer lasting results and less side effects (at least for me) than the laser did. If you can get your insurance to pay for the treatments I would recommend them, but if you have to pay for it I would probably say its not worth it, unless you have unlimited funding or something. IMO it seems like this is for maintenance rather than treatment.

Guest kipster
Guest kipster

I had moderate acne before laser with levulan. After 1st treatment face exploded with cystic acne! Did 2nd treatment got even worse. Doctor says I have sensitive skin!! Now they say accutane is my only recourse. Do not do it! Painful, expensive at $700 per treatment (insurance does not cover this procedure) but worse my skin looks terrible

Guest Blake
Guest Blake

Skin feels really smooth. Still getting oily skin which causes my breakouts. I am 23 years old and have had moderate acne since I was 15 years old. I mainly breakout around the chin, neck line where I shave, forehead, and corner of nose (t-zone areas) because my skin produces way too much oil. I am planning to do 3 smoothbeam treatments at $250 piece six weeks apart. I have had one treatment so far at a medium setting with multiple passes. I did not experience any pain during my first treatment ( it actually felt pretty cool). My skin is looking better, however, I am still one oily son of a b**ch, and I constantly have to use those oil absorbing pads or else my face shines like a star. I thought this was suppose to reduce oil (which is the main reason I got the treatment). Hopefully, after a couple of months and treatments I will start to notice the oil reducing. I am looking forward to my 2nd and 3rd treatments as I think my skin will only get better. I hope this works!!! I will post a couple of weeks after my 2nd treatment.

Guest Danny
Guest Danny

It works it really does Use RetinA as well and you should be golden It takes repeated treatment and it costs an average of 600 per session So it can get expensive I would recommend this treatment to all, especially if you have tried other methods with little to any results. The laser heats up the skin beneath the surface resulting in killing of bacteria and shrinking of oil glands. I could really see in the future that the laser treatment will replace the once convential methods of treating acne. Convential methods may or may not work but they certainly will not deal with scarring and the red marks, wheras smoothbeam corrects these problems as well. My only wish was they had this technology 15 years ago when I was in highschool. My advice... If you are someone that is sufferring or if you have kids that are suffering, get them the treatment. It is expensive, but it could really change their life. Hopefully one day insurance will cover this miracle treatment.

Popular Laser