Skinoren Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream Reviews

Brand: Skinoren

Skinoren Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream

Not for long term BP users / Sensitive skin

Longtime BP user here, 10+ years. I wanted to try something different so I got a Skinoren prescription from Boots ( UK) online. Used it for about 4-5 weeks. I probably went little balls deep on it ( used too much from the off) but it made my skin so incredibly itchy. I also got a bit of a chemical burn on my cheek near to my nose. It would take about 30-60 minutes before my skin would feel normal. I also couldn't find any info about using a moisturizer in combination with it.... lots of conflicting info everywhere. Didn't really help with acne just irritated my skin. I may give it another go ( using less of it next time) but it's not suitable for long-term use so any benefits will be < 9 months as its recommended to stop use after a year. I've also used differin which gave me a similar experience.

Amazing cream

I have suffered from acne all my life and I am now 52 (female). The only pill that helped was Dianette but sadly they took me off it when I was forty due to the increase in risks of blood clots. My acne returned and I have been trying everything available as usual on the market, I even did a dairy free diet as there are links to dairy and acne, but nothing worked. I recently had a real bad outbreak of cystic acne and after looking to the internet saw the reviews for this cream. I half heartedly bought it thinking it wouldn't work but had to put my review on, I have only been using for two weeks (I have very sensitive skin) and the results are amazing, all my cystic acne, blackheads have gone and my red scars are gradually diminishing and this cream hasn't irritated my skin! I am amazed and hope these results continue, I am soooo happy.

Worth a Go!

This is the 4th week I've been on the cream. At first I didn't see a lot of improvement but now it is beginning to show slowly. It leaves skin feeling really soft and with no irritation for me anyway. Inflamed pimples under the skin are well down after 2 applications. It has slightly faded some hyperpigmentation..however it is said around 6 months are needed to benefit from it. Here's to hoping! 4 stars as I'm awaiting more results as it states.

Hey I had too many small white heads and black heads on my face specially my forehead.. I was prescribed skinoren.. After 1 week of use small ones r diminished but unfortunately there r some big cystic acne coming on my cheeks which r new So I'm confused whether I shud continue or not.. Can someone pls advice.. Is this the normal response

Best treatment I've ever found

I have tried everything for my acne, including two rounds of roaccutane. I've tried supplements, antibiotics, contraceptive pills... you get the picture. Since my acne was now moderate rather than severe, my GP prescribed Skinoren. Within days my acne was nearly clear. I couldn't believe it! And almost as good, the scars are far less red and I feel more confident without makeup than ever before. The only downside is that when I came off it the acne came back after a couple of months and some of the redness in the scars came back too. However I was only on for 3 or 4 months so will try it for longer this time to see if it clears for good. If not I will just stay on it and apparently it's fine for long term use. Try it!

Comments

Miracle Cream! Noticeabe Results After First Application!

All I can say is that this product is amazing. I noticed the marks and active acne calmed down and noticeably faded after the FIRST time I used it. I applied it to the areas affected before I went to sleep and when I woke up, it was like 3 weeks had gone by. The marks were significantly faded and the sore spots had all calmed down. I have only been using this cream for 4 days but the results are better than other creams I have used for weeks. As with all acne creams, you must apply sparingly and I find that gently massaging the cream into each separate blemish reduces the redness of skin that isn't affected by acne. I have not found it to be drying and as my skin is so oily, the chances of any dryness are pretty slim. I am therefore lucky enough to be able to apply Skinoren in the morning AND evening which maximises results. I didn't want to leave the house 5 days ago and now, I am free to do so with my head held up high because of Skinoren.

Comments

The only thing that worked!

Hello, I'm 18 and I've had acne ever since I was 12. It had its ups and downs...mostly downs...and no matter to what dermatologist I went to, they just made it worse with all the products they would prescribe for me. Finally, about a month and a half ago I went to another dermatologist and she prescribed Skinoren for me, Aknicare lotion and a mattifying hydration cream. Honestly, its the first time in years my skin is clear, I get 2 or 3 pimples before my period but thats about it. My whole face was covered with whiteheads, blackheads, small cysts and they wouldn't go away, this is the only thing that helped me. I apply Skinoren once every night and if I stay indoors for the day I'll apply it in the morning too. Definitely apply it at night, because your pores open, meaning that Skinoren is given the opportunity to enter and hit the problem to its core(in a way) and giving you better results. I definitely do recommend this product, however, you should keep in mind that acne takes time to cure so be patient. Hope this helps :)

How long did skinoren take to work ?
Some doctors said 2 months for its results to be seen

Skinoren, purging

I've been applying skinoren for 4 weeks now, once every night. My face to begin with was clear everywhere except for my forehead which is oily and i would breakout once a month, a few whiteheads here and there, with a few closed comedones. Since I've been using skinoren I've been breaking out non stop. I'm hoping that my skin is simply purging. I will give this another few weeks. Hopefully It won't cause damage to my skin.

This is really helpful and I feel the same after 3 weeks of use. could you please advise if you found any improvements after persevering ?

Normal?

I've been using Skinoren for over a week and I'm getting acne still...how long does it take? I smear Skinoren all over my face because I have acne in random places all over face. I also have it on my chest, so I've been putting Skinoren there as well. I haven't really notice anything at all as of yet. I'm also taking birth control...I've started both things on May 5th (2015)...fingers crossed for some actual results? I'm 26 and have adult acne....

Not sure about birth control, but oral drugs such as antibiotics and accutane tend to break ppl out before face start to clear up. As for the skinoren, make sure you put moisturizer on after cause azelaic acids peels the skin

Good results

Hello fellow acne sufferers... I like this cream and it would work perfectly if I was more strict with my bed time regime as I cleanse but I don't always use this at night but it definitely makes a difference over night if you use it! I am 40 but younger in spirit, so I think that is why my acne is hanging around and it also started late. I also believe emotional distress, anxiety etc causes a lot of acne. If you saw my spotty face clear up after a massive cry, you would see the proof.

Hi! Was wondering if you knew if it was okay to use makeup over Skinoren after it has dried? I feel so embarrassed to go out in public with no makeup on....
Hi Flipper :) I'm also 40 and have moderate/severe bacne. Man, I thought it would have cleared by now! Also just starting Skinoren. Fingers crossed. Good to know there are others out there. :)
Hey Flipper, could you give us an update? I am 45 and also full of pimples (pre menopause). Hoping this cream will help with the dark marks that are left when the spot has gone ...

Brilliant

I had severe acne for months and I thought it would never go away, I had used every product available and cleaned up my diet etc but nothing worked. Skinorem was the only thing that worked, the first few weeks I had even more severe breakouts but if you can endure this then it is worth it. It took two months for effects to show but if you stick to it it's going to pay off. I now have near flawless skin and have done for the past 6 months or so.

Actual results!

I believe that I have adult acne(I'm 26 and it started a few years ago) caused by very minor rosacea; if you have acne vulgaris and not acne rosacea, this treatment might not work for you. Though I'd say it's still worth a try if nothing else works for you. So far, I have had consistent success with Skinoren(which I bought from an online pharmacy). The instructions are correct when they say that you have to wait between 4-8 weeks for results; for the first month, I suspected that it wasn't working because I was still popping pimples on my forehead like mad. But now it's been almost another month since then and so far I have almost no acne. I no longer have cystic acne and just a few really tiny, almost unnoticeable, whiteheads here and there. I'm very impressed! My skin is usually very sensitive(both salicyclic acid and benzoyl peroxide gave me worse acne along with rashes), yet Skinoren has given me no adverse reactions what so ever. I will say that even though it takes a while for the true results to show up, I did notice within the first week of using it that the texture and feel of my skin improved dramatically. My upper forehead felt much less flaky and got more soft and smooth. I am only disappointed that it hasn't reduced the blackheads or cloggy pores much and my skin still gets more oily than it should. But those things can be remedied in other ways, and it's no big deal if the rest of my acne is cleared! Great product. Now I can finally get back to dating with confidence!

Thank you for your review. I'm 2 weeks into using Skinoren and I'm getting breakouts which are making me doubt it. I'm defo gonna stick it out though. Would be interested to hear if you still use it?

Worked when everything else failed!

I'm 34 years old, suffered with acne all my life. 5 attempts at roaccutane to no avail. Used horrible BP creams that flake your skin. Dermo said I had adult acne and will do so until 40+. I stumbled upon Skinoren and hadn't heard of it before. Tried it, use a good amount on the affected area which is my cheek and chin area (not a spot treatment) morning and night and stick it out for 2 - 3 months like the directions say. This is very important, it took 2 months for me to see an improvement. I'm still using it 3 years later, I buy it in bulk online where I found a good price and I have NO acne anymore. This stuff works, that's all you need to know!

Didn't really do anything

My acne kept on slowly getting worse, which made me hopeful that this was helping in some way, but I think it was just my skin itself that got worse regardless of what was on it. Skinoren didn't really do anything for me at all. Maybe it helped diminish the pimples a little bit after about a month or so, but it worked very very slowly. I used it for two and a half months, didn't renew my prescription. maybe it works if you use it longer, but I feel like a topical treatment should give quicker results. It is gentle, though, so maybe it could be worth a shot for someone with sensitive skin.

Comments

works for first months, not in long run

Skinoren cream. Used it for months and cleared a lot of my skin, after some month treatment (for weeks). After using it few months more it just stopped working and acne came back, and the skin was really terrible, did not stopped using it, but nothing did work anymore. I started taking accutane(took it 6 months) got clear for months but after stopped using it, acne came back almost the next day,, and I was still alive and did not had any side effects, "thanks god!":D. Doctor described again new medicine, that did not work at all.(don't go to the doctor). "Products that irritate your skin and cause more acne". My skin was sometimes really clear, did not know why, but now I realized that i was using a product with BP and should not have stopped using it(it was a exposed skincare kit, the daily serum(it's too expensive)). Now my skin is clear thanks to BP only, and I will use it daily, works now almost a year, I have pretty good skin. !!!!About the BP miracle (I had acne over 10 years, now my skin has scars) -- I have noticed more better results than BP clean solutions, I recommend Dr. Wolf , Acne fug (it's was the only thing with BP in my country, and now I can not stop using it!!!), Acne fug is 5% BP and has alcohol and some other clearing skin agents(it's stored something like 2-7 decrees) (the paper recommends it for hormonal acne (hormons cause acne etc), the acne that other products can't fight), I use it once a day and works much better than any BP solution so far (It can't get any better, so I stay at this product. If I will not use acnefug for several days(without showering etc) the acne comes back, some pimple or pimples appear, but if using this product they disappear after 2-3 days completely), no flakiness or anything(BP makes skin look a bit lifeless). Only once a day!!!!(I shower once a day!)(it's quite effective so please not use that often) I also use moisturizer with lipids and after that my skin is not try and feels good.

Skinoren initial breakout

Hi, I've just started using skinoren a little over 1week, however the IB I'm experiencing is horrendous :(.. My acne has quadrupled!!.... Is this normal?... Please help

hello, could you advise how things turned out as i am suffering the same after a few weeks use.

skinoren works for me!

slow but effective prevents redness and reduces breakouts very itchy at first time I am 40 yrs old. My skin is not flawless but always been good enough to the point that im satisfied. I have few blemishes and pores but can fix them with a little bit of foundation or face powder. I wasnt been an acne prone person but 5 months ago, I started noticing some big pimples with puss and really hurts when I do my night facial regime. I didnt pay attention so much b/c I thought it will pass. But day after day after day my breakout is getting worse and so I started to be worried. I was scared that Im developing rosacea. Last month I went to see my dermatologist for a consultation and she confirmed that im having acne and not rosacea so I was a bit relieved. She prescribed me skinoren and dalacin 10mg. Been using skinoren and dalacin for 20 days now and im happy with the results. My face is clearing up and smoother. Skinoren works for me but apparently it has different effects to others.

Fingers crossed its working

I am 47 years old and have suffered with acne since my teens. I myself have tried every cream, facewash etc but then came across Skinoren by accident. I ordered some from Amazon and have been using it for about 4 weeks. I have had no breakouts at all since I started it. Usually my chin area has at least 2 massive painful spots but since I started using the cream I have had one tiny spot in 4 weeks. May just be coincidental but I am going to keep on with it in hope....

skinoren experience

... force my face to breakout often worsen my condition didnt do anything for red marks worst treatment i have, i had 1 pimple in a week then i started using skinoren and i have 1 new pimple per day!!! i used it for month then i gave up and after two weeks i still have new pimple everyday, i dont know whats wrong... even cyst i have which i never had before, it may help someone but my opinion hands off! and yeaa... didnt help with red marks after 1 mont a bit!

Guest Lee
Guest Lee

It works! No side affects Reasonably priced (in NZ) Could do with a bigger tube? I'm a 32 year old male. Suffered from acne since early teens. Derma said I would have adult acne into my 40's. Tried roaccutane when I was younger, antibiotics, BP cream, Salicylilc acid etc. and nothing worked. I don't know how I didn't know about Azelaic Acid but I'm so glad I do now! - Been using for 3 months and my skin is clearer than it has ever been and there are NO side effects to this cream. No flaky skin, no sensitive skin, no sun sensitive skin just clear skin! Use it twice a day after cleansing with a mild cleanser like cetaphil. Apply generously to the entire affected area, this isn't a spot treatment. I rub in over chin and cheeks area. A 30g tube lasts me about 3 weeks. NOTE! - Give this treatment a chance. It takes at least 4 weeks to start working but after that you will notice a continual improvement. Good luck! There is hope! :)

Guest Julie
Guest Julie

Quick results! Really works! Makes skin itch and tingle when applied I've suffered with acne most of my adult life. When I was 29 my acne was so severe I was prescribed roaccuntane for six months which gave amazing results! My skin remained clear for about 5 years afterwards, bar the occasional spot. Since then my skin has got worse, but not to the extent it was when I was 29, but enough for me to go see my doctor. Im 38 now and Over the past 4 yesrs I've tried pretty much most all the over the counter acne treatments and prescription creams and antibiotics from my doctor, but none worked. Until last week when i returned to the docs again, she prescribed skinoren cream along with doxycycline tabs and the results are really noticeable! My skin looks clearer, feels smoother, and it reduced the couple of cystic spots after two days! It has also improved the look of my old red acne scarring! I recommend this cream to anyone with moderate acne.its fab!

Guest Matt
Guest Matt

-Really helps reduce pimple size -Doesn't make skin red like benzoyl products -Works with sensitive skin -Doesn't dry out skin -Helps conceal redness -Has neutral smell -Need prescription in the UK This cream really works for me. I have tried many kinds of topical treatment, but I always go back to Skinoren when I need to fix a spot. I also use it together with other products sometimes, but just this cream alone can make my spots disappear in about 2-3 days. It is gentle on the skin and a tube lasts me a very long time.

Popular Topical