Skin Needling/Rolling Reviews

Skin Needling/Rolling

Good for grade 1 or 2 acne scars

I bought a ninety dollar Micro needling pen on eBay (MyM I believe). The idea behind the micro needling is to use the needles to break up the collagen fibers underneath the scar so they can remodel and fill in. So I continued to use the micro needling pen as i saw some (not much improvement) and figured that I would need a stronger Micro needling device because maybe the needles weren't penetrating the skin the way they should be so then in 2015 I purchased the 'Derminator'� from vaughter wellness (owndoc) and noticed the difference in the design of the system. Again, I saw some minor improvements in my skin with the use of one needle '2.25mm'� setting. After about a year's worth of use, I eventually realized that a lot of the 'improvements'� may have been some temporary swelling so I was a bit disappointed. I would say these treatments are good for a grade 1 or 2 acne scars. (Grade 4 being severe )

use a professional!

I paid $800 for 3 treatments in Canada done by a professional at a plastic surgery & aesthetics clinic and I am very pleased with the results. The procedure I got done is called Dermapen. That being said, I would NEVER attempt to do this treatment myself. So much of the results is dependent on using the right needles and going the right depth for the right amount of time; it requires a professional. I had a consultation with a dermatologist and then a tech at the same clinic did the procedure. I waited one month between treatments and did them in winter to avoid the sun as much as possible. I began to notice modest results after the second treatment but honestly the real results didn't start appearing until about four months after the last treatment and then WOW- I would say my scarring is about 50% better. I think I've enhanced the results by eating well and having a quality skin regimen that includes good exfoliating, moisturizing, and a vitamin C serum to encourage collagen production. Considering how impossible scars are to heal I would highly recommend this treatment.

Hi, do you mind sharing which clinic and practitioner you used? I too live in Canada and am looking for scar treatment. Thanks!
Do you know if the dermapen procedure will help if the scar is raised? It sounds like your scar was deep since you are trying to encourage collagen production. I want to flatten.
Hi Fiona! Was your clinic by chance in Toronto? Can you tell me the name? I am looking for a credible clinic to do this treatment on me. Thank you :)

Derma rolling may not be effective if you select the wrong needle size

I noticed a lot of comments here that I wanted to address... A few comments stated they used a 0.5mm for acne scarring and saw no improvement and most other reviews mentioned how much money they spent on such few treatments. Derma rolling is stimulating collagen growth and it is a slow process, but an effective one. It won't take anywhere below 3 treatments to see results and results vary depending on the needle size. You would need to do it for 3 months or more in order to see significant changes. Also, educating yourself is a huge factor in getting results. 0.25 mm does NOT stimulate collagen growth, but it does increase absorption of products and can be used daily with no damage. 0.50 mm induces collagen production mildly and helps with fine lines and wrinkles and some scarring - light and can be used every 2-3 days. 0.75 - 1.0 mm is the recommended use when it comes to acne scarring. This size is recommended for shallow to deep wrinkles and scars. This size also increases collagen production and it penetrates deeper and requires a longer recovery time. This needle is only recommended to use a few times per month, but I would recommend twice a month. Anything above 1.0 mm is for deep and severe scarring and is something you would consider if you have keloid scars and if so it's highly recommended to seek professional help. Overuse of ANY of the needles can cause more harm than good and poor after care can cause infection and scarring as well. When you expose your skin to open wounds you need to be aware of the chemicals you put on your skin, along with sun damage that can occur if you don't protect it. I would recommend using natural products with less chemicals to avoid irritation during this process. Things I would recommend (even without derma rolling) -Coconut oil is an anti bacterial with plenty of essential vitamins that can help your skin. You can make your own moisturizer by mixing coconut oil with essential oils of your choice. -Vitamin C oil is an added boost to brightening your pigment to lessen the appearance of acne scars. -Tea tree oil is a good option if you have oily skin, active acne, or have an extreme version of sebaceous cysts. Tea tree oil is the first recommended hollistic method for maintaining cystic acne. You can find tea tree oil soap bars with added essential oils for daily use. -Witch hazel is a natural astringent which also balances the PH of your skin, this is good for oily skin and has personally reduced acne by at least 20% -Hyaluronic acid is also effective for acne scarring treatments but I would not recommend it immediately after a treatment. I would only use this after 3-5 days after your treatment if you are using a 0.75 needle or above. Using it immediately after can cause irritation and redness.

Coconut oil is one of the worst things you can put on acne prone skin. Coconut oil is made up of mostly medium chain triglycerides which is the same type of fat p.acne bacteria break sebum down into, which then causes blockages and inflammation.

Have been self-stamping for about a year now

I know there are a lot of negative comments on here stating this method doesn't work, but they've all generally come from people who have done only a few expensive professional treatments. There is only so much new "trauma" that can be done in a single treatment, so results will indeed be minimal if you don't do a lot of them. That's why I feel like it's better to learn how to do it yourself. It definitely takes commitment since it's time-consuming and painful, and you REALLY have to stick with it, but it really can make a difference. In the year I've been doing it, I've noticed my deeper scars have started to flatten out and are getting more shallow. It's important to give your skin enough time in the interim to repair itself, and to also use stuff like vitamin-C serum to promote collagen production and healing. I know I still have a long way to go, but I just picked up a more-expensive automatic needling machine, so I'm hoping in another year I'll see even more significant results.

how is it coming along? and what needling machine and needle length do you use?
Do you know if "self-stamping" will help if the scar is raised? It sounds like your scar was deep since you are trying to encourage collagen production. I want to flatten.

Dermastamping/Rolling

I've been dermastamping for a year now. I use a 1,5 mm dermastamp. My skin is smoother, and my scars have become less deep,and some have vanished. This method is way nicer to your skin than lazer. I use vitamin c (powder mixed with water) and Vaseline based vitamin a cream after every session. I stamp once per month (sometimes less especially now in the summer - not good to be stamped and then getting out in the sun). I started rolling half a year ago (0,5 mm) - painful, but good for preventing wrinkles and rejuvenating my skin. I just bought single needles to try on some ice pick/enlarged pores, and will see how that goes.

Thumbs Down for Genuine Derma Roller

I wanted this to work. I really did. I had 5 treatments (derma roller and derma stamp) with a fully trained esthetician from May 2013 to January 2014. My skin is in better shape now (a bit clearer, softer) but there was no change in my mild scarring. I was disappointed. I still roll at home with a 0.5mm because I think it helps with sloughing off old skin cells and keeping your skin clear. Not worth it for scars IMO though.

Not significant results

you can do at home Don't improve deep scars It seems to improve at first, but for deep acne scars it didn't work for me. And if you do it yourself you have to be really carefull and clean it with alcohol. And if you use the wrong cream it will not be good for your skin.

I'm now trying it just with one needle instead of the derma roller, but I don't know if it will work better.

No visible improvements Painful Downtime due to severe redness Expensive I had one of four sessions of the Dermaroller treatment. Despite being by far the most uncomfortable treatment I have ever had (chemical peels and various laser treatments previously) it did not work for me; In fact I believe it made the scarring worse. This was compounded by the fact that after the first week or two this skin looked fantastic and thought this was a miracle cure. I was to be disappointed and the improvements were short lived, most probably caused by swelling. I have not gone back for further treatments despite the clinic being usually excellent. Before the treatment I got a few spots and did have some redness already in the treated areas so maybe this could have been the issue. I would recommend making sure your skin is 100% acne free before trying this. Also, in person if possible, see the effects of the treatment on someone with a similar skin type.

Comments

Nothing Painful Expensive Not Worth it I had 4 skin needling treatments at a clinic in Sydney. I paid just about $2000 and till this day I see no results. I had red marks on my face from acne and was promised they would disappear with 4 treatments and nothing- didn't even fade. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for anyone wanting to get rid of scars and be sure NOT to undergo the treatment when you have active acne- it just makes it worse.

Guest Rich
Guest Rich

It really works!!! Maybe not for everyone but it did for me. Redness for a couple of days. But nothing to bad you can't handle. Like a mild sunburn. Alot of peoples are saying it doesnt works. But it does, there is many brands out there. Some vary from $35 to $150, the result you get is what you paid for. I used this product for a week on my acne scar. Rolling gently in differnt pattern, then applying collegen cream. My scar were atleast 20% better, and that in less than a week!!!. The brand i use was scentia dermaroller, it took less than a week to get here from the UK. Try it, it alot safer than laser or chemical peel. And no downtime.

Spammer again. Promoting 'scentia'.
Guest Jessica
Guest Jessica

For me there are no pros They say there is no social downtime but I had psychical downtime because it doesn't work (for me) Dermaroller doesn't work well on acne scars, I've done it, three treatments at a specialist, it cost to many for the result. I think my scars are minimum 10% better.. I've paid 1150 euro.

Guest bethanne70
Guest bethanne70

I bought a derma roller to use at home. .5mm. I use it 3-5 times a week. W/in 2 months my rosacea is under control, acne scarring is fading, fine lines are almost GONE, large pores are almost invisible. Tried Fraxel, nothing compares to roller. Sensitive skin may notice a temporary wind burn look and feel to the skin. Usually subsides within an hour. Results are not immediate, but when they do happen it's AMAZING! Totally worth the time and $. I love the derma roller!!! I won't be without one. People tell me all the time now that I look 27, 28 - I'm 40. Buy the smallest one to start. Seems that the longer needles cause more side effects. You'll achieve the same results with the shorter needles, although it may take a little more time. Great prices here: [link removed]>Shipping is fast, too.

Guest gigi
Guest gigi

Distorts scar healing process.. Helped a little in some areas though... Scabbing, discoloration, I believe made scars worse or impeded healing. I intentionally left part of my scar un-needled to gauge results. The un-neddled side has healed more even and more smoothly than the needled side. Try saline injections, much much more effective and less dangerous.

Comments

Supposedly cheap if you do it yourself. You get temporary improvement for 1-2 weeks after each procedure. Overhyped procedure, total waste of money. May risk infection or scarring if you do it yourself. If you have a doc do it, the cost is similar to fraxels but results are abysmal. I tried this for 3 sessions for my moderate/deep/severe scarring and it made 0 difference a year later (and I could swear it made some of my scars worse). For a week or so after each session, it made my skin appeared better due to microswelling, then all subsided later to the point even the doc can't tell the difference with the very pictures he took. Don't buy into the hype, I'm down $1500 with nothing to show for - those peddling this will tell you every excuse in the book except that it isn't an effective method. Most professionals will shun this, just talk to plenty of them and they will tell you how ineffective this is for moderate/deep scars.

Guest nadia
Guest nadia

it works results take a while, but in some cases instantly, and infortunately in my case extremely painful as the legal anesthesia they were allowed to use on my face wasn't strong enough I think its deffinately worth it to give it a shot. It deffinately reduced my acnes scars and the color of the acne scars too. It's better than other methods such as acid peels and laser because with these treatments our face becomes sensitive to the sun, but with skin needling it doesnt. My acne has also reduced! although I dont know if its because of the skin needling or the stieva-a cream im using. The bonus that comes with the skin needling is that it gets rid of wrinkles (although I dont need that since I dont have any)

Guest Britain Gregory
Guest Britain Gregory

Plumps up the depressed areas of tissue, Makes you look younger, gives you self confidence. You are red (cat like scratches) for a few days. If you go to someone that has not taken a clinical class on Skin and Facial Needling you could possibly be overworked and have irreparable damage. I would highly remommend this treatment, but only by a professional technician. My technician has been doing Skin and Facial Needling for over 16 years. You need a person that knows the depth of insertion for each type of scar and exactly which method of application is appropriate. My first needling procedure was in Feb. 2006, and I have had a few more since. The first 2 were 4 weeks apart, but now I have it every 3-4 months to maintain my desired results.

Popular Medical