Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Ziana

Ziana Clindamycin (1.2%) and Tretinoin (.025%) Gel

See ya later

I started this in September so about 5 months ago. As I was getting the odd spot hear and there and wanted to finally be rid of any spots. It's been horrible, I had a initial breakout but that hasn't stopped. When ever I put this on the next morning I'm so red, with like 4 new spots, and my red marks form older spots look so much more red. I just seen a different dermatologist today and she said come off it. There's less harsh ones she said. I could be reacting to it badly.

Someone please help

I'm 17 years old and have struggled with mild to moderate acne since i was about 12 or 13. It goes in cycles where it will be really bad, then decent, then awful again. I've been applying ziana for probably about a week now. Before i applied it, the right side of my face was almost completely clear, but the left side had a cluster of acne that i couldn't get rid of. Ever since I've applied it my skin has been horribly breaking out more than it ever has before and it' even breaking out on my forehead where I haven't applied it. This new acne makes me extremely insecure to the point of tears. I don't even want to look in a mirror and I'm constantly thinking about it. I've read that I should just stick with it and that it will clear my skin eventually, but honestly right now it's really hard to stay motivated. I'm too a point where I don't want to leave my house to see my friends because i feel like all they'll see are the bumps on my face. Someone please help I don't know if my face is just purging really bad or if i should stop using it.

Works Great But Have to be Patient

I started Ziana in March of 2016. For the first 3-4 months, my skin purged BADLY! But I did NOT quit! I continued treatment. Here I am, March of 2017, and my skin cleared about 85%. I have recently cut out sugar in my diet and started taking vitamins to take care of the rest of the acne left (minimal amount). ONLY use a pea size amount of Ziana before bed everyday. I know the purging is difficult... I understand. But you have to continue for at least 4-6 months as that's when it starts to clear! I will hopefully add photos to my profile soon to show how it helped me :)

Clears skin but makes it SO OILY

I'm a 20 y/o female with mild acne and very occasional cysts only on left cheek. I started using Ziana after Epiduo was way too drying for me. I've been using it for about a month and a half. Ziana is not drying at all, and has definitely helped with some minor spots, but I noticed that throughout the day my skin gets RIDICULOUSLY GREASY. Like unbelievably shiny...makeup looks terrible. I use Ziana before bed, wake up and my face isn't oily at all, but throughout the day it becomes so oily. One of those oil blotting sheets from Clean & Clear is literally transparent after I wipe my face with it. So I've decided to stop using Ziana and instead try Drunk Elephant AHA serum!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

great product! Before trying this I used so many over the counter products, but this left me super clear, I had moderate to severe acne, today I get compliments on my skin almost daily! Try it and it may cause more breakouts in the beginning but its definitely worth the wait. I never write reviews but if this can inspire someone to continue finding a solution to their acne It would leave me feeling more than great. I used to cry daily about it and understand how self torturing it can be. Besides using this product, I also wanted to say I do not eat red meat and try to stay on a strict diet, with no dairy, and gluten free foods. I do eat chicken, fish, etc. I believe this has also impacted my skin greatly. There's hope trust me I know it's annoying but with persistence anything is possible!

Comments

Think I'm getting there...

Okey, so I've only been on Ziana for about 2 weeks, and I kind of feel that my skin is getting better. My skin had a terrible breakout out of nowhere for a little more than one month ago, and it made me extremely frustrated as I've never ever struggled with acne or pimples before. I also take Tetralysal 300 mg (oral antibiotics) twice a day, and I've been taking them for 4 weeks now, but I feel as if Ziana is doing the job here. My main problem is clogged pores and whiteheads, I rarely get big pimples or cystic ones, only tiny red grossers and skin colored bumps. Mainly on my forehead, chin and hairline. I've noticed that Ziana makes my acne a little more red than usual, also my scars have this constant redness. Hopefully, my acne will reduce more the upcoming weeks, can't wait to see the results! Really got my hopes up for this nice little cream. Oh, and yes, it does make your skin very oily! But I can deal with that, as long as my acne says bye bye UPDATE: my oh my this is really hard, I've been experiencing an initial breakout since I started using this cream, and it's non-stop. I wake up every morning with 3-4 new tiny pimples ready to be poped, and my scarring is really red. Like REALLY. My face is more red than skin colored. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME!!!!:( all i want is clear skin like i've always had..... I haven't been out with my friends on a saturday since new years eve because make up makes it look much worse.... I miss my life!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone tell me that this will end sometime soon?! I've been on this cream for around 3 weeks now......

Has it gotten any better? I've been on it for about 4-5 weeks and my face is worse. It's red and burning, and my makeup also doesn't look good..
I've been on this for about 5 months, and I'm coming off. Still breaking out! If I don't use this for a week my skin starts looking good and normal skin colour, then I'll use this say Sunday night and Jesus Monday morning I'm so red with about 4 new little red spots. It's too irratating for me, I just can't get used to it for some reason.

I think it's working!

My acne is mostly under control with yaz but around my mouth still breaks out sometimes with painful cysts. So I am trying ziana. The first week I used it every day and even with lotion my face was soooo dry and I had three super painful cysts develop. I think I overdid it big time so I took a break and just applied lotion for a few days to let my skin rehydrate and now I'm going to try using it just twice a week and work my way up ( I read about other people having very good results with this). Luckily my cysts are mostly healed and the rest of my skin is looking really hydrated/fresh. I have clogged pores all around my mouth and I think the ziana is starting to unclog them .. In a couple spots the clog has come to the surface and basically falls out when I wash. The cysts may have just been purging some deeper stuff but I hope it's over now! Good luck everyone! P.S. I wash my face in the shower with head and shoulders shampoo, let my face dry, apply ziana, then apply lotion once the ziana dries. I was waiting longer in between the ziana and lotion but then I got so peely that I couldn't stand it. The lotion doesn't seem to alter the effects of ziana as far as treating pimples so for me it is better to just apply the lotion immediately after. UPDATE: I wash my face with neutrogena body wash (salacylic acid 2%) at night to get my makeup off, wait for my face to dry and then apply ziana every other night. On the nights i don't apply ziana i wash my face with neutrogena body wash, then apply cerave SA lotion and go to bed. In the morniing i just rinse with water. Face has been great so far. Keep up the good fight! (also i am on mononessa birth control, gerneric of ortho cyclen but that has never gotten me this clear)

Don't use saylicylic acid with this product, and try to find a FACE wash. Don't use body wash or shampoo. I highly recommend soap and glory face soap and clarity wash for getting makeup off

No real help...

I am 33 years old and just had an onset of adult cystic acne about 2 years ago. I have been using this topical medication for approx. 3 months and I have seen no change in my skin. I did like that I was not affected with harsh red, itchy skin like some other medications have done to me. This gel, however, does make my skin incredibly oily in the morning even though I use the recommended pea size amount. My doctor has decided the only thing that will help is a prescription for isotretinoin so this Ziana med just wasn't strong enough for me.

Finally makeup free!

I am 25 years old and have always had acne. At age 12 I started proactive and that was able to keep my acne to a minimum but still I was never completely clear. My acne was never horrible, but I always had 1-3 active zits along my chin/ jawline (sometimes cystic) and a few on my temples and forehead. After I got new insurance that didn't require a refer to go to a derm I finally decided to see one. He prescribed me Aczone in the am and Ziana in the pm. I was very cautious at first--I started using a gentle cleanser and bought cereve pm moisturizer since I had read reviews that my skin would get extremely dry. The first couple nights my skin got a bit red and itchy from Ziana but after night 3 that totally stopped. I also didn't find that it made my skin sticky or oily at ALL. However the cerave pm moisturizer DID, so after about 2 weeks I discontinued use of that and did not need a night moisturizer. There was a purging stage---weeks 2-4 I saw an increase in active acne in my hot spots (chin and jawline) with 2 cystic zits. But even though I had about 4-5 active zits, they would disappear quickly before others would pop up. Of course any purge is going to suck but i promise if you stick to it you will be so happy. It took about a month for everything to totally clear up, and now I am 2 months in and my face has been PERFECT. I have not seen even one zit for an entire month. My face is so clear that I don't need any makeup at all. My hyper pigmentation from past acne is slowly fading but that will require a bit more time. I am so happy with the results of these 2 products! Also, just FYI I do not have sensitive skin so all of that redness/dryness/pealing/ sun sensitivity did not happen to me at all. If anything my skin is actually perfectly hydrated since the proactive was drying out certain spots, now those are gone!

Finally:]

I am 22 years old and have been dealing with pretty much every kind of acne for years. I have tried everything you can buy in the store and nothing really worked (I read that a lot of drugstore acne products put stuff in that makes you break out so you keep buying their products). When my face is broken out, I don't want to leave the house and I am constantly thinking about my skin to where I feel absolutely depressed about it. So I saw a dermatologist and he put me on clindamycin (probably not great spelling) lotion in the day, adapalene cream at night, and doxycyline for a month to help with the initial breakouts they sometimes cause. It worked fantastic for me for like a year and a half and then my skin randomly started breaking out again really bad. I went back to see my dermatologist and he put me on a bunch of stuff that didn't work and I was dealing with even worse skin for a long time without solution. He finally put me on ziana a month ago for the nighttime, onexton for the day, and ampicillin tablets. Since I was trying to avoid accutane (which was my next option), he also recommended that I change my birth control to one that helps acne so I switched to yaz immediately. The first week was pretty bad because the onexton hurt (it burned, itched, made my face red) and the ziana made my face flakey and dry when I woke up in the morning. My doctor told me that these products can take up to 4 months to be effective and that they oftentimes make your skin a lot worse before it can get better (it has to bring up all the acne and bacteria up to the surface to get rid of it which takes time). I broke out pretty badly the first week and the beginning of the second, on top of that my face was flakey so I couldn't really wear makeup and I was just bummed (even though I knew that's how some of these treatments work and it's probably a sign that it's working). I've had a few side effects that were not unbearable and also went away as my body and skin got used to the medications. I was expecting that I would have to deal with it for months. Honestly, with the exception of accutane, I have been on every pill and and cream there is. By the end of week two and miraculously it was crystal clear. I never thought i would ever be someone to not wear makeup, and I have been (even on dates! That is how clear it is). It's still a little dry, but I started using a really gentle moisturizer (4 dollar ponds) with both the ziana & onexton and also using a lot less of the product. When I first got the onexton, I put a lot on because I wanted to make sure it "really worked" and that was such a mistake because it was VERY painful. I have been using a pea sized amount with moisturizer of both and it works better that way. When I was having my initial breakout, I would desperately read these reviews to have hope and I made a pact with god that if my acne clears up, I will share my experience to help others who are going through the horrible issues acne causes. My advice: don't use too much, don't exfoliate (ziana is an exfoliant and that's why there is flakey skin at first. It also makes your skin super thin so you can't pick and have to be very gentle), be careful in the sun, avoid any other harsh products, and hang in there! You might have an initial breakout, you might not. Either way, it depends on the person when your skin clears up and if you give up before 4 months, you could miss out on a chance to see the progress, my breakout was so bad that I wanted to stop and I read these encouraging posts and figured that I was going to have acne either way (if I was off the medicine or if I was on it) so I might as well suffer through breakouts while I'm treating it and it's worked for me. If you give up before a few months, you haven't even let the medicine do it's job yet and there isn't a single acne perscription that says if can get rid of your acne before 4 months (otherwise I would have tried it). Don't believe me? Ask your doctor. Don't give up, bug your doctor and ask a million questions. As soon as one didn't work, I got another, and kept going until I got something that works for me. I hope everyone finds what they're looking for and hangs in there :]

Comments

Doesn't do a thing for me

18 Female, have had acne all my life but it was always a few zits, nothing too bad. In the past few months I broke out a lot due to stress. Ok so my dermatologist prescribed this to me and advised me to use it before going to bed. It's been a month since I have been using it and honestly it hasn't done anything good for me. But overall Ziana just gets sticky and annoying to sleep with, and I have to wash my pillow case very often because of this. Ziana also makes your skin extremely oily, if you wear makeup you can't use this product because your face will be so shiny. Makes me feel gross! In the 2nd week I broke out A LOT, and I had to go back to one of my old regime's of salicylic acid 2% for a few days and I got cleared up (My skin is too dry for constant salicylic acid). I am going to ask my dermatologist to give me something else because this product is just a very water based gel that is not strong enough for me.

Love!

I'm a female in my mid 20s who has mild acne. I received Ziana from my dermatologist a month or so ago, switching from Finacea, which wasn't doing much for me. It has helped the acne around my mouth and chin so much. I have only had ONE pimple, compared to three or four a month, since using Ziana. That was when I first started using it. I also did not go through the 'purge' my dermatologist warned me about. I use it once each night and put it on after my moisturizer. I also moisturize in the morning. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my 'scars' or pinkish reddish brown spots leftover from previous acne, but hope to. I have also been receiving monthly facials lately, which I think has also helped a lot. I can't wait to continue to use Ziana and see how much more it improves my skin in the future!

Nope

I was given this treatment by my dermatologist about 5-6 months ago, and was told that it would for sure make me break out in the beginning, but that that would just be a "purge" and that my skin would clear up. I read mixed reviews, many saying that you just had to wait it out. I have, and still not satisfied. I can't see any significant improvement, and I'm not surprised, as the product doesn't even feel like it's working. Maybe my skin is just tough. When I applied this product the clear gel went on smoothly, but I had no tingling sensation or anything, and usually I look for that as a sign of disinfection. This product feels like absolutely nothing on facial skin, and I haven't been seeing results. Not to mention the INSANE price. :c

Not for me

My background: One to two zits in high school, nothing ever serious. Started college and I started getting this huge cysts around my chin and on my cheeks (definitely hormonal acne). Ziana showed really great results for me within the first two weeks and my skin was super soft! After that HUGE cysts came up everywhere. I've never be so self conscious in my entire life, I avoided contact and never went out on the weekend. As a college student, my skin should be the least of my worries, but it started to take over my life. My derm said that the cream would bring everything to the surface and I would see results around 3 months. Well, month 3 came around and my skin was the worst it's ever been. I stopped using Ziana and my skin looked better just after ONE day. (Not clear obviously, but the size in my zits went way down) I'm sure this is the miracle drug for some people, but it's just not for me.

Comments

Really does work! just give it some time

I was prescribed Ziana when I was 16 (now I am 21) I had mild to moderate acne and has tried everything under the moon to get rid of it, prescriptions and drug stores. When I started using Ziana when I was 16 I don't remember having any bad purge period, it kept my black heads to a minimum and I would only get occasional pimples. For a short period of time when I was 20 I did not have insurance so when I ran out of Ziana I was SOL. After a few months of being off Ziana I noticed my black heads coming back EVERYWHERE! When I finally got my insurance back again a couple of months ago I decided to go to the dermatologist to get another prescription for ZIana. After using it for a couple of weeks I experience a REALLY BAD purge. I am talking like 10-15 cysts on my face. Every time I got rid of one another 2 would pop up. This occurred because the Ziana was bringing up all of my blackheads to the surface that I had acquired when I was off the Ziana. I am now on my 4th week back on Ziana and I am almost 100% clear!! The number one thing to keep in mind about this product is to BE PATIENT and to not get too worked up over the purge period. It is also important to use the right face wash and lotion. I use CeraVe foaming wash and cetaphil lotion. Hope this helps!

Comments

Amazing, just be patient!

I was prescribed biacna by my dermatologist after i've been on bactrim for 2 weeks and it was smoot sailing after that. as soon as the bactrim kicked in all I had to worry about was the part where my skin gets used to the gel. it took about 2-3 weeks of experimenting on how frequent i should use the biacna(ziana) but after that i used it every night and the redness and the peeling has all subsided. I have stopped taking bactrim for a week now and still no horrible breakouts because of this gel. it is amazing. I hope it continues to show progress because I love my skin now. It is not perfect and have hyperpigmentation but i am getting there. i never really write reviews but this stuff is the real deal. be patient!!!

Comments

give it time, and couple it with an oral treatment

This is not a miracle gel, but I don't really think any of them are if you really suffer from chronic or severe acne. I have had the worst time getting Tretinoin gels to work for me-- I am the first to say that I think they are more trouble than they are worth, and it's very hard to get past the "initial breakout", which is truly terrible. I found though that in this combination, the Clindamycin helped pimples heal faster and prevented them from getting yucky and more inflamed. I coupled Ziana with Spironolactone because I suffer from hormonal cysts, large pores, and oily skin. I started seeing results from this combination after about 6 weeks. I think that a lot of these gels need time, and they need to be paired with an oral treatment to be really effective. I don't really think there is one stop shopping with acne treatment.

Comments

Bad

3 week initial breakout. Made pores look huge. Worst part was the greasy look on skin. Could not get the shiny look to go away even after washing it. Didn't feel like it was working. Only positive was that it didn't dry out my skin like everything else. Going back to benzaclin. This is garbage.

Amazing!

When I was around 18 my skin became extremely sensitive and I got a lot of white heads and small pimples daily. It wasn't so bad but it was just all over my cheeks and easily coverable but I could never leave the house without makeup. I went through that for about two years and finally decided to go to the dermatologist. She prescribed me Ziana and I started using every other day before I went to bed for the first three weeks and then after that every night. The first month or so it calmed my existing white heads but I noticed a few new ones. It wasn't as bad as many others have experienced but I did get pimples (bigger ones than when I wasn't on the medication) but they would go away quickly. I also noticed they scarred darker than my acne in the past. I also noticed by face burned a bit when I washed it or when I went to the gym and sweat because the medication does make it sensitive for the first couple of months. I also did experience some minor flaking and peeling. I've now been using it for about 6 months and I've never seen my face so clear! It cleared up all the marks, and I haven't got any acne for the last month. The only annoying part is that around my chin it still flakes a bit (but that can be fixed easily with lotion) and my t-zone is a little oily (which was never the case before). But in my opinion those things can be fixed so easily and I love my skin now. I would definitely recommend this for anyone!! I have mild-medium acne and It definitely worked wonders for me.

Anyone Suffering Should Try This

Clears acne quickly Fades scars and evens skin tone Prevents future breakouts Dries skin if too much is used First of all, for those uninterested in reading further, I'll say Ziana works wonders for those who need drastic help!! I am one of those "I've used EVERYTHING and nothing has helped" people, and this does the trick! :) I am a 27 year old female. Dealt with acne since 6th grade. 6th-8th grade - mild. 8th grade-now - severe. Pin-pointing major breakout times was useless. Tried several topical creams/ointments. None did the trick until Ziana. User of product since December 3, 2013. Dermotologists prescribed: Differin Gel- made my mild acne get out of control. Painful pimples led to scarring. Pro-Activ- Please stay away from this product unless you don't want your acne to heal. If you have sensitive skin, which most acne prone people have, Benzoyl Peroxide can agitate your skin causing burning, itching, peeling, swelling, and redness while discoloring your pillow case and clothes. I have bleach spots on the collar of the shirts I'd wear to bed while using this. This product will hurt your skin rather than heal it. My current dermatologist said it is one of the worst popular products out there. The celebrity endorsements frustrate me! At 19-20, my current dermatologist figured out the main problem; hormones. Oral medications have helped balance and I noticed a major difference when I didn't take them for a few years. Consistently since I was 20, I've taken birth control and used Neutrogena® Oil-Free Acne Stress Control® face wash and spot treatment. My skin would go from manageable, annoying pimples and uneven skin tone to painful, long lasting breakouts, and back to manageable pimples. A few months ago, my skin was at its worst. I visited my dermatologist again. She prescribed me Spironolactone (previously prescribed and used) and Ampicillin which help heal from inside out and Ziana for topical. I honestly noticed after the first night of using Ziana, my skin was calming down. Pimples that came up the start day were almost gone the following morning. I would say after a few weeks, my skin had changed dramatically and since the first use, I have had maybe 2 or 3 pimples in almost 4 months! Also, the old scars I've had for over 12 years are fading and my skin tone is now even. No longer do I have blotchy, bumpy skin and makeup caked white heads that surfaced and bled at any moment! Advice: follow the instructions. Less is more! Only use this at night don't go overboard, or it WILL dry out your skin. Every night I wash my face, use a very light layer of Ziana, and use twice daily moisturizer. The best part, I didn't have to change my face wash and spend extra money, and I save money in the future by applying less make-up each day. For the first time since high school, I feel good when I'm not wearing make-up! In no way am I make-up free, but women who have had acne problems understand the feeling when you can finally, confidently walk outside without any on.

Hello ! Thanks for the review! I still had acne on differin so my dermatologist switched me to Ziana. I haven't noticed any improvement after 6 weeks. Did it take awhile before you were acne free? You mentioned you noticed a difference the first night. Did it keep getting better or did you breakout the first few weeks on Ziana?
Hi! I noticed after the first night that my existing acne was calming down and healing rather than worsening. I had maybe 2 or 3 blemishes that would pop up randomly, but they were smaller and would go away after a day. Nothing uncontrollable. I'd say after a month or so is when I realized my face was acne free. It actually shocked me because it was an after thought rather than something I was having to worry about daily. So yes, a couple pimples after the first few weeks, but nothing comparable to what I had. Almost a year after I was prescribed Ziana, I can tell you that I still do not have issues. My dermatologist took me off Ampicillin in September, and I had one small chin zit but that went away after about 3 days. I think it was just my body adjusting. Thanks for the questions! Hope it starts to work better for you if you're still using it. It may be worth it to ask your dermatologist about the two oral medications I mentioned. They work really well to speed up the healing and regulate your hormones.

1 month on Ziana

Spreads easily Not irritating Fades hyper pigmentation Skin purging Drying Background info: I'm a 25yr old male, combination skin and have dealt with acne since I was a teenager. Recently, I had a very bad flare up and went to a dermatologist who prescribed Ziana at night and Acanya as a spot treatment. I have been on Ziana for over 1 month now and so far it has been a positive experience. 3 weeks of purging and then it starts to clear. However, even though it's clearing I am still getting zits in bad areas. It's much better than it was though. Try not to pop any pimples while on this. It takes awhile for the pigmentation to fade. Use a good moisturizer after you apply the ziana at night. Overall, I'd recommend this and will update after 6 weeks.

I have had the same experience. I have been on Ziana for 6 weeks. I keep getting new whiteheads on my chin. Are you still on it? When were you consistently clear?

Ziana helps 10% of the time

It's expensive if you don't have insurance It doesn't really help to clear my hormonal breakouts After trying every over the counter topical and a variety of topical's prescribed by my dermatologist, they decided to put me on ziana. I have light to moderate acne and it is very hormonal. The ziana helps maybe a little, but not very much. I get chemical peels. Laser treatments, I use the Emergency spot treatment, I'm on an oral antibiotic and yet I still continue to have breakouts. I have exhausted all my options and have decided to try birth control(mircette). I feel like out of all the things I do to help my breakouts the ziana only helps 10%.

Ziana thumbs down.

None. Made my skin way worse Made my skin oily Makeup didn't look right anymore I was breaking out a little bit while on Differin so the dermatologist recommended I try out Ziana. What a bad idea! Three weeks non stop of breakouts! And Ziana breakouts leave reddish/brown spots on the skin. After 3 weeks of suffering, I gave up. Now I'm back on Differin and my skin is slowly clearing up. What a nightmare. Also - Ziana made my skin oily and when I wore makeup it would 'sit' on top of my skin. I would not recommend.

Omg I'm on Ziana right now and have been for like 3 months. I've noticed that my skin is more oily..my make up isn't looking right... And I've gotten bigger pores! After reading this I'm calling my dermatologist tomorrow!!! I never really thought of it being the Ziana. How is your skin now did it get better like with your make up and oiliness? Uhhh I hate acne!

Popular Topical