YAZ Oral Contraceptive Reviews

Brand: YAZ

YAZ Oral Contraceptive

It takes 3-6 months

I have been on Yaz in the past and it really cleared my skin. I was on it for 5 years and had flawless skin by using Acne.org BP once a day and taking the Yaz. I went off of it for a year and my acne came roaring back. Four months ago I started to take it again for PMDD. My skin started to clear within a few weeks, but full clearing took four months. The first time I was on Yaz it took the full six months. I have never experienced much of an initial breakout with it, but everything that was below the surface, eventually did come to the surface and could be removed. The only reason I gave it four stars is that it caused me to have pretty noticeable melasma all over my face. That may just be my body though. I will gladly take some melasma over terrible periods and very bumpy skin.

YAZ SAVED ME

After I went off the pill a few years ago I developed really bad, painful cystic acne all over my jaw and cheeks. It was a constant struggle with tons of products, diet and lifestyle changes, etc but nothing helped. It took about 2 years of this until I realized I had to go back on the pill. I went on another one before Yaz which did not make any difference, and after 5 months started Yaz. It took about 4 months until my skin was completely clear. So be patient and it will work for yoy too. I've seriously never been happier with my skin. As for other "effects" of Yaz, the first couple of months my mood was just volatile and I was a bit irritable and resated to everything but that passed. I now feel stable and rarely get mood swings. Also didn't gain any weight nor did my boobs grow (unfortunately)

GOOD FOR ACNE, BAD FOR EVERYTHING ELSE

I've had cystic acne on my chin appearing like clockwork a week before my period and I would spend the rest of the month attempting to get rid of it, just for it to leave a scar and another one to appear the next month. This gets rid of cystic acne very fast, within a week at the least but if you're still having problems I suggest cutting out dairy for the 2 weeks before your period-- It worked for me and I was amazed. I got changed off of Vestura to Nikki and it still works for my face. However, I have had TERRIBLE mood swings and headaches. Before I realized it was the medicine, I could not go 3 days without crying my eyes out. I'm going to ask my derm to go back to Vestura because I can't go Nikki for much longer, so if you get put on a generic and you notice changes in mood and general feeling, ASK TO BE SWITCHED TO ANOTHER GENERIC. It will save your life.

Give it 3 months

I agree with the last post. Give it three months. I never had skin problems as a teen. My acne journey started when I was 20 and was prescribed the contraceptive pill Levlen. When I was 21, I started taking Diane. My skin cleared up in two weeks and remained flawless for years. When I was 29, I had to go off the pill for 3 months to get some hormone testing done. My acne came back worse than ever. I started using proactive twice daily and after 6 months of taking Diane again, my skin was returned to normal. But then all of sudden after 5 years, two years ago, Diane stopped working for my acne. I started getting big blind pimples on my chin and lower part of my face. My doctor suggested I try zoely. This made my skin oily and I broke out in comedones on my cheeks and big pimples on my forehead. I stayed on Zoely but started taking minocyclin. I took it for 6 months and my skin cleared up. But as soon as I stopped taking the antibiotics, the acne returned. I tried a second course of minocyclin and using a retinoid cream. The antibiotics didn't work this time and neither did the cream. After a year of taking zoely, my skin was oily, I had comedonal acne and very oily hair. My doctor suggested Yaz and I was willing to try anything. So I stared it. I immediately began breaking out in big blind pimples on my cheeks, chin and forehead. Also small, painful bumps along my jawline. The large pimples on my cheeks were horrible. I was constantly reapplying my make up through out the day to try and conceal my blemishes. The pimples would stick around for weeks and have left dark marks on my face. But I noticed that my skin and hair were no longer oily. I've always been a person who has to wash her hair every second day. But now I could go three days without oil. This has never happened before so I stuck with Yaz thinking it was a good sign. Second month, more of the same. Third month, less occurances of pimples on my forehead, less large pimples on my cheeks- mostly small ones that would go away in a day or two, still a few painful bumps along my jawline. Now I'm halfway through the fourth month. No more big pimples, a tiny pimple once in a while on the sides of my face not far from the hairline. No big blind pimples, scarring is fading. Yesterday I went to a music festival and after being in the sun all day I thought the sweat and make up would cause a big break out. I got one little pimple close to my hairline on my left cheek which is gone today. So I would encourage you to wait three months. If you're not seeing any improvement by the fourth month then fair enough, stop taking Yaz. Other things you should know. I still wash my face with proactive products twice a day. I've been doing that for 7 years. I use an oil free moisturiser, foundation, primer and powder. I take hair, skin and nails vitamins everyday. And for the past two months , I've been using the neutrogena LED light therapy mask for ten minutes every night. I understand how acne can impact upon your everyday life. Clear skin is my thing. I look at everyone's skin and compare it to mine. As soon as I wake up every morning, I check for pimples. I get it. I have an autoimmune disease which creates a hormonal imbalance so my doctor has warned me that I may have issues with acne for the rest of my life. I never thought I would be dealing with teenage skin problems at 36!

Give it a full 3 months

These reviews helped me a lot so I thought I'd share my experience. I had severe hormonal acne + pustules all over my face, specifically on my cheeks and jawline, when I got prescribed yaz. The first month was absolutely terrible and I broke out all over my forehead, back and chest... I was literally scared to leave the house. In the second month, it was just as bad but new pimples weren't surfacing as often. Month 3: up until the 3rd week I had small pimples on my face and everywhere else had cleared up (nothing as bad as month 1) but it wasn't till I completely finished my 3rd pack that my face cleared up. I'm now in the middle of month 4 and my face is completely clear!!!! I can go out in public without makeup and finally feel confident, which was NOT the case 3 months ago. Also, I have experienced no side effects except nausea during the first 2 weeks of starting the pill and bigger boobs :)

Saved my face!!

I am 18 and I suffered from cystic acne for a long time, which left scars on my face. I tried antibiotics for years and a different type of birth control (Microgestin Fe), which didn't help much (if at all). My doctor switched me to Yaz. I just finished my third pack and my face is spotless. It began working almost immediately. By the middle of month 2, my face had almost cleared up completely. I get a few small breakout spots while on the placebo pills, but I NEVER get any cysts. I have a few mood swings on the placebo pills and my boobs are swollen and a little bit sore all the time. I have grown two cup sizes, but I have had no weight gain other than that (which I am fine with haha) and no other serious side effects. I would definitely recommend Yaz for acne.

Hi..m please let me know. I'm 21 years old and I'm a virgin i want to tale birth control pills I'm scared if i take bith control pills i might have side effects.

Slowly working

Thought I'd post my experience with yaz! I started yaz 3 months ago.. I'll be starting my 4th pack in about a week! When I started yaz i was having very mild breakouts on my back as well as a new inflamed pimple on my face about every 4 days or so and theyd take a couple days to go away with the odd cystic pimple every couple months or so! I should also mention that about 95% of my breakouts are around my mouth and chin area! Month 1: my pimples here were about the same with no change really! Month 2: End of month 1 and beginning of month 2 were horrible for me!! all my pimples cleared around my mouth and Id say for the entire month 2 I had maybe 6 cystic pimples on my left cheek.. no where else just my left cheek which I never get pimples there thats how I knew it was from the Yaz. As well as this, my back broke out in at least 20-30 pimples and I'm still dealing with the aftermath of that! Month 3: Month 3 I was still breaking out on my back moderately! I was clear for about 2 weeks now I notice that I am getting a couple more pimples again, so I'm praying that in a couple more months the body acne will be gone for good! As for my face, I havent gotten a cystic pimple in 28 days hooray! And maybe one or two little pimples that have gone away in about 2 days.. although I actually still have the bump on my face from the cystic pimple that was from 28 days ago.. So I'm hoping that goes away soon or I'll have to go to the derm and get an injection I guess! Will update again at the end of month 4 :)

Comments

HORRIBLE BREAKOUT WHEN YOU STOP TAKING IT.

I started taking Yaz when I was 18 strictly for contraception purposes. I never really had acne before I started taking the pill, maybe a few pimples here and there but nothing like what I'm experiencing now. I took the pill for 5 years and the only real side effect I had was it completely eliminated my sex drive. I didn't realize this until I got off of it 8 months ago, and my libido came back full force. My body's making up for lost time I'd imagine hahah. While I was on it, my skin was pretty much immaculate so that was nice... Plus I never got pregnant so it served it's purpose. After being on it for 5 years I think my body got used to it. I started spotting in between periods, or having periods that lasted for 20-30 days.. NOT FUN. My boyfriend and I decided that after 5 years of artificial hormones, my body needed a break so I stopped taking them. My skin was okay for 2 months, it just got increasingly oily until around the 3 month mark and then BAM. ACNE. LOTS OF IT. MORE THAN I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. On my cheeks too, which I've never experienced before. 8 months later and I'm still trying to tame this beast, unfortunately it seems to be getting worse. I now have acne on my cheeks (primarily the right side), jaw, and chin. I've tried everything from oil cleansing to antibiotics. Moral of the story is... Yaz works wonderfully for some people while they're on it. But if you ever decide to go off of it you better buckle up, because it seems to be a long ride back to clear skin. I'm praying this pill hasn't caused irreversible damage to my hormones because it's already caused some scarring on my skin. Beware. The the risks do not (in my opinion) outweigh the benefits long term. If my 18 year old self had known what would happen, I would have chosen another route of birth control.

I had almost the identical experience. Tried alysena after the initial severe breakout, and it helped but I'm still constantly broken out. Started Yaz again today, and am now considering Accutane as a permanent solution. Good luck to anyone with a similar situation :)

Something that finally worked

My daughter started having an oily complexion when she was 10 years old. Soon after pimples & redness on her forehead began. We tried every cleanser, cheap, expensive, natural, homemade & only seemed to intensify the acne. I began reading everything I could on the Internet. Cleansers dry out the skin which can actually make the skin produce more oil which in turn produces clogged pores & acne. She then just washed her face with warm water, splashed on face with clean hands about ten times & gently pat dry with clean towel, twice daily or when skin looked too oily. Also important to wash your pillow case every few days until oil is under control. Doctor prescribed different ointments which only dried & burned the skin after only a few days. I then read milk thistle can help so off to the naturopath. She prescribed milk thistle for 3 months. This product actually caused more acne to form down the sides of her face. The naturopath recommended to keep taking it as it's cleansing the liver & toxins. That was a mistake and acne got worse. Stopped taking milk thistle after 4 months. We tried no milk products, eliminating certain foods, increasing certain foods, nothing worked. Her period began when she turned twelve. I knew the acne was hormonal. Acne was on her back, forehead & a few scattered around the rest of her face. By the age of twelve she was very discouraged, self esteem lowering & didn't like what she saw in the mirror. I then took her to the doctor in May & asked for a prescription of birth control Diana 35 or Yaz as they were supposed to be the best for controlling acne & to be referred to a dermatologist. It would take 6 months to get into see a dermatologist. My niece was on a low dose birth control which did nothing for the acne. The doctor prescribed Yaz as it is not as strong as Diana 35. I was concerned about blood clots but the doctor reassured us and said you have more of a chance of getting a blood clot while pregnant then on birth control. She began Yaz at the beginning of May. Appointment for dermatologist was November 30. After a few months my husband and I noticed the oily complexion was improving. She still had break outs but no more than before & used spot treatment to dry them out after washing with warm water & concealer to cover the redness and a mineral powder called Pur with a clean brush to even out the skin tone. Important to wash the brush once a week until oil is under control then monthly or so. Always apply on clean skin. Around 4-5 months the break outs were slowly getting less & oil production. My daughter didn't notice, she just wanted all the pimples to be gone. At 5-6 months she would have the occasional pimple and a couple more around her period. By the 6-7 month her skin looks incredible & no breakouts at all!!! She has been on Yaz for 7 months and couldn't be happier. We went to the dermatologist appointment yesterday and he said to keep doing what your doing because it's working. I asked of it's safe to be on Yaz. He said all medications have risks & you can't let what you hear on the news scare you because it's usually from other underlying issues. I asked if she should be using a cleanser and he said don't waste your money. He also mentioned that sometimes the birth control down the road could stop working for acne breakouts. Next step would be Accutane which would stop the acne all together. He said you want to deal with the acne before too many scars form if you continually have breakouts. Slight scaring will heel on its own with time. You have to be on birth control already to take Accutane. I hope this post helps some girls out there that are suffering from acne. Six to seven months seems like forever but the end result is fantastic & you will see improvement at the 4-5 month, just be patient. Also we asked for Yaz not generic pill which I heard can make a difference. Also want to mention it took a 3-4 months for her mood swings to even out & her body to adjust to the hormones from birth control so again, it will get better. Good luck!

Comments

Very mixed feelings about it

Originally I was prescribed Diane 35 by my dermatologist, but I decided to go with Yaz eventually because it has a lower dose of estrogen as well as a shorter 4-day period. Now I have been on Yaz for around 6 months already. While I don't really regret choosing it over Diane 35, I have to say that I do have very mixed feelings about the results that I am getting. First of all, here are the pros and cons of Yaz for me. Pros: - No weight gain at all - Sex drive remaining there - Gradually lighter period - Increased breast size - Reduction in oil production of skin Cons: - Increased anxiety level - Increased irritability - Mood swings - Breakthrough bleeding - Cystic Acne remaining there I didn't really get an initial breakout from Yaz. For the first few months I did notice some strange things happening to my skin. For example, during the 2nd month for about a week my skin went from super oily to super dry with zero oil production. But very quickly it went back to normal. Yaz has really helped me greatly in reducing the oil production of my skin. Prior to taking it, I couldn't get by one or two hours without looking like a complete oil slick. But now the oiliness of my skin is very normal and in acceptable level, even though I still consider myself having oily and acne prone skin. However, Yaz has so far failed to clear me up. Somewhere from the middle of the 4th month I have started to break out more and now I have been breaking out really badly in cystic acne. I am not certain whether the sudden onset of cystic acne is directly caused by Yaz or other factors though. Emotionally it has been a roller coaster for me in the past few months. Although I don't think Yaz is to be blamed alone for all my anxiety / irritability / depression, I do believe that it plays a part in affecting my moodiness more or less. And I really think that anyone with a family history of anxiety or depression issue should be very very cautious with hormonal treatment. Anyway I am going to stick with Yaz for another 3 months maybe, just to see if my cystic acne will improve or get worse. If it gets really out of control or doesn't have any improvement after that, maybe I will consider switching to another brand, maybe Diane 35, who knows!

**UPDATE on 02/2017- I'm changing my rating to 1 star**

*** 02/2017-- I'm leaving my original review from July 2016 at the bottom. I went off Yaz in September 2016, and that time it was for good. I never had any mood problems while taking Yaz, but when I stopped taking it I developed full-blown Panic Disorder. I'm talking about panic attacks everyday, and the constant feeling like something bad was about to happen. My heart rate was a constant 110-120 beats per minute. My life was hell for 3 months until December when it started to go away. DO NOT go on this medication, it SUCKS. I almost had to drop out of my last semester of nursing school because of it.*** July 2016- I do not have PCOS, but I have elevated DHEA-S (twice the normal limit) and slighty elevated Cortisol. I went on Yaz after Ortho Tri Cyclen and 50mg Spironolactone stopped working for me. I've had no bad side effects or adverse reactions. It cleared 95% of my breakouts. I also have a history of migraines with aura. I only had 2 of these migrianes, and they were 5 years before I started Yaz. I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because when I tried to go off it, I had the WORST break out imaginable. I quickly went back on again.

Yaz saved my skin!

I've struggled with Acne since I was 14. I'm now 24 and have tried everything- face washes, creams, facials, antibiotics, other birth controls, Accutane x 2. Nothing worked. I'd been on Ortho-Tricyclin for 6 years previously which helped clear up my acne for the most part but when I turned 22, my acne started reappearing and getting worse on my cheeks- which was never a problem area I ever had. I went off birth control completely for 8 months, hoping my hormones would balance themselves out- WRONG. My acne got much, much worse. After talking with my doctor, he prescribed YAZ. The first month and a half my acne worsened which dampened my spirits but after the 2nd pack, my skin has cleared up immensely. Hang in there and let YAZ work it's magic. Sure there are some downsides of taking birth control but to me, clear skin is totally worth it!

Comments

Ok-ish, but once you get off...

I took Yaz for 6 months(from april 2015 to august 2015) after my gynecologist recommended it as a treatment for my PCOS. Initially, she told me to only take it for 4 months, but my left ovary still had 5-6 cysts and took it for another 2 months. Yaz did a great job for my ovaries in these 6 months, I got rid of all those cysts(and still cysts-free now), but for my hormonal acne, it was terrible the first 2-3 months. I literally didn't get out of the house for days, I developed big, painful pimples all over my face, like never before; my appetite was over the roof(I gained 2kg in 6 months, mostly water retention I think, because I was constantly fighting my emotional binge-eating feeling lol). After these horrible 2 months, my face slooowly started to be somehow "normal" again, and in my last 2 months I only had a few blackheads on my nose. Once I got off, my acne slowly came back and by november-december, my face was full of little monsters again(no cystic, painful pimples though, but a lot of whiteheads and blackheads). I think Yaz works as long as you stay on it, but you can't really take it forever :) Now I'm on metformin and spironolactone for almost 2 weeks as a treatment for PCOS and insulin resistance. Hope this one works, as now I am treating the cause of all my problems(bloody hormones!!!), not the effect.

My YAZ Experience

I went on YAZ when I was a sophomore in high school in the hopes of it clearing my mild to moderate acne that I had had since 6th grade. It took a couple months to actually help my skin. It never made it worse, but it took a while (probably a year or so) to completely clear my skin. I was so excited I finally had clear skin! I had no problems with it until fall 2015 (my sophomore year of college). I started having migraines that were unbearable, so my doctor wanted to switch me to Aviane because it has a lower estrogen dose. I did a lot of research and read horror stories about people's skin on Aviane so I decided not to take it. Ultimately, I quit brith control all together hoping that I had grown out of my acne and boy was I wrong. I stopped taking YAZ in the middle of October and my skin was okay for a few months. I was taking vitamins and eating clean hoping it would help. Now it's January and my skin is the worse it has ever been. Horrible acne all over my cheeks, forehead, and chin/jaw area. It is so bad that I've decided to go back on birth control. I'm afraid to go back on YAZ because of the migraines and moodiness, so my doctor is having me try Sprintec (generic for Ortho Cylen) to see if it will clear my skin without the horrible migraines. I'm on my third week and my skin only seems to be getting worse, but I'm still hopeful! Overall, I would not recommend YAZ unless it is your absolute last resort for acne. And beware of going off the pill. I know everyone reacts differently to the hormones but for me personally going off YAZ has wrecked my skin. I'm giving it 3 stars because it really does help clear acne, but with that you'll have to be on the pill for the rest of your life if you want to keep your clear skin.

Comments

Miracle for me, but cannot go off

I'm 31 and have battled acne for 16 years. I have literally tried everything except selling my soul to Satan to rid myself of the cystic acne I get around my chin, cheeks, and jawline. Two Accutane courses, antibiotics, topicals, Spiro, supplements, peels, lasers.... I had tried BCP's in my late teens/early twenties but I don't remember seeing the results I have now. I've been on Yaz for 6 months now. I started clearing up within the first 2 weeks. I now have the clearest skin I have ever had. The problem is when I stop taking it, even for the period days (white sugar pill) I will break out. After researching I have found that I can just continue on the pink pills and have a period every 2-3 months, which is what I've been doing now. I will still breakout when I go off- but I finally have control over when that will happen. I gave this 5 stars- it is not perfect but it has given me control again! My skin finally has a chance to heal from the scaring. I also haven't had any serious side effects.

YAZ Journey

Hello, this is my first time writing any review online but I figured it would be interesting to track my progress on my Yaz journey for clearer skin. I have suffered from acne (more than mild but not the most severe of cases), cheek, jaw, and chin ACNE. My acne began when I was in 6th grade, 11years old. I am now 21 and just ready to freaking live life! My life, happiness, lack of friendships/relationships have TOTALLY relied on my acne. Earlier this year I finally acknowledged the fact that I do in fact suffer from depression due to the effects of my acne. I have tried EVERYTHING!! OTC everything, benzoyl, salicylic acid, neutral washes, organic/natural washes, not using product at all, zinc, evening primrose, omega oils etc etc and I give these products months to work. I have a very healthy diet and exercise multiple times a week, my family calls me a health nut. In August of this year I decided that I was no longer responsible for my acne meaning I realized that my acne was beyond my control, there was something internally wrong. So I started YAZ in August 23 2015. I was put on for acne, oral contraceptive, and to help my heavy flow and cramps. -Month 1: started breaking out mildly on my forehead. Before Yaz, my forehead had been relatively clear, the only clear place on my face. Also my mood seemed to improve, maybe because I have hope that Yaz will help my acne. Periods are sooo much easier to deal with. -At 6weeks: Large acne on left side of cheek, but not too much. Don't know whether to blame BC or its just how its always been. Breast seem to be sore and possibly growing. They kind of hurt sometimes if I don't wear a bra. When the acne is popped they seem to smooth out quicker than before BC. I'll keep this post updated! Hopefully I'll have a success story. -3rd month completed: My skin is really smoothing out! There are finally more clear patches than acne patches for the first time in a while. I still break out, especially before my period (a few jawline breakouts). My temples have been a bit problematic, but I realize when I drink my 3 liters of water a day my temples/face stays clear. Overall I am dealing with scarring. I have also started using the Burt's Bees diaper rash (zinc 40%) and that has been more effective than benzoyl/salicylic acid. I'll see yal next month!

Comments

A long road but worth it!

As someone who suffered from acne since 13 (I am 29 now) I've always utilized these reviews and now that I've finally found something that works- I have to share my experience. Most of my acne has always been in the chin area- moderate with severe cysts at times. I tried everything- every antibiotic, accutane, every topical. It wasn't until I started getting ovarian cysts that my doc wanted to put me on YAZ as it could regulate my cycle and help my frustrating adult acne. I am taking name brand YAZ, not generic. I can't say that months 1-5 were easy but I am SO SO glad I stuck it out. Now my skin is better than it has been in my ENTIRE life. Month 1 Side Effects - Emotional unbalance, there were a few weeks that I felt like a crazy person. High anxiety, feeling like there was always something wrong. Some light muscle soreness which went away after a few days and never returned. This was my first time ever taking BC. Skin- OK. Better than previous months but not drastically different. Month 2 Side Effects- Ocular migraine (my first ever). Awful experience!! Skin- AWFUL. Started breaking out more than I have since my early 20's. Mostly around jawline'huge, deep, cystic pimples. Month 3/4 Side Effects- Still breaking out a lot, same as previous month. Month 5 Skin- Acne finally starting to get a tiny bit better. Getting less and less cystic acne in chin area but starting to get a TON of tiny pimples on neck and under jawline. Also getting a lot of these tiny pimples/whiteheads on forehead/cheeks (where I never get acne). Month 6 Skin- Haven't gotten hormonal acne in a month!! Acne on neck/lower jawline starting to disappear. Month 7 Skin- Wow! So happy I did't quit. My skin looks better than it ever has. Everyday it seems to get clearer and healthier looking. Still some trace amount of surface acne on neck but becoming less of an issue each month. To recap, it wasn't until month 6 until I started noticing any real changes I could for sure attribute to YAZ. Everyone who says after 3-4 months it should work'everyone is different! Hold out and see because the pay off is great.

Power through

Ok like most of you I never write reviews. I have always had moderate acne and usually severe around my periods. My obgyn suggested Yaz because of lower hormone levels whatever I'm not really sure..... All I know is I was not prescribed Yaz for acne! And omg I got the surprise of a lifetime when my face broke out so bad with horrible cystic acne all over my chin and jaw line....... I had 9 yes 9 cystic zits at once!!!! I got a new one everyday! So I read everyone's posts about waiting until the third month and it's no joke... I literally just started 3rd pack and like magic over night my growths dried up and are healing now?! The rest of My skin looks amazing it was just that one area. Anyways I'm posting this to tell you the products I used to at least keep them at bay and to keep yourself from crying every time you look in the mirror cause that's what I did.... And it seemed to speed up the process So I always use Clinique 3step program twice a day acne solutions I used a powerful clay mask mixed with Apple cider vinegar at night Papaya enzyme scrub 3x a week When I'd pop the zits I used a antiseptic cream to kill any bacteria but don't leave it on cause it's oily Baking soda with water to decrease their size 2x a day Aloe right after wards just 100% aloe but same rinse it off after ten minutes up and up 10 benzoyl peroxide clearing cream stuff And finally obey your body radiance peel 3x a week followed by their daily moisturizer I don't care if you think this is a lot of products when your face looked as disgusting as mine did you would understand.... Also we all have different skin so my skin can handle lots of products start slow and ease into each one. Another thing that helped was I never wore makeup over them as gross as it is they need to breathe and they looked worse with makeup anyways Good luck!!

Great as combination with topical cream for women in 20s

I didn't start getting acne until a year ago. I could totally tell there was a change in my hormones. I started to slowly get acne worse and worse. My doctor first tried epiduo and an antibiotic. The epiduo worked great for my comedonal but nothing was stopping my cystic acne! Antibiotics don't work for hormonal acne, you must have something for your hormones. After two months of YAZ and Epiduo my skin looks so much better!!! I have started only using powder make. Before I would not let anyone see me with out liquid and powder. I cant wait until I can feel comfortable make up free! Combination is key!

My Acne is gone, thanks to Yaz and epiduo! Two months of use and I am finally able to not wear any make up. I barely even use epiduo now. I am now working on smoothing out the scars. I am so glad I finally went to the derm. I wish I would have went sooner!

Helped my skin

I am hesitant to give it 4 stars because I think it might be becoming less effective in helping my acne. I am 19 years old and I have suffered with acne since middle school and I haven't actually tried to get rid of it until I graduated high school. My skin is very oily and I get blackheads and white heads in my T-zone. The first 2-4 weeks my acne definitely got worse but it started clearing up after about the 3 month mark and all was well for another 3-4 months. My acne never fully went away but it was significantly better, and now it's slowly starting to get worse again :( I do think it is a good pill because I think back to before I took it and oh my goodness my face was MUCH worse.

Finally

I am 22 years old and have been dealing with pretty much every kind of acne for years. I have tried everything you can buy in the store and nothing really worked (I read that a lot of drugstore acne products put stuff in that makes you break out so you keep buying their products). When my face is broken out, I don't want to leave the house and I am constantly thinking about my skin to where I feel absolutely depressed about it. So I saw a dermatologist and he put me on clindamycin (probably not great spelling) lotion in the day, adapalene cream at night, and doxycyline for a month to help with the initial breakouts they sometimes cause. It worked fantastic for me for like a year and a half and then my skin randomly started breaking out again really bad. I went back to see my dermatologist and he put me on a bunch of stuff that didn't work and I was dealing with even worse skin for a long time without solution. He finally put me on ziana a month ago for the nighttime, onexton for the day, and ampicillin tablets. Since I was trying to avoid accutane (which was my next option), he also recommended that I change my birth control to one that helps acne so I switched to yaz immediately. The first week was pretty bad because the onexton hurt (it burned, itched, made my face red) and the ziana made my face flakey and dry when I woke up in the morning. My doctor told me that these products can take up to 4 months to be effective and that they oftentimes make your skin a lot worse before it can get better (it has to bring up all the acne and bacteria up to the surface to get rid of it which takes time). I broke out pretty badly the first week and the beginning of the second, on top of that my face was flakey so I couldn't really wear makeup and I was just bummed (even though I knew that's how some of these treatments work and it's probably a sign that it's working). I've had a few side effects that were not unbearable and also went away as my body and skin got used to the medications. I was expecting that I would have to deal with it for months. Honestly, with the exception of accutane, I have been on every pill and and cream there is. By the end of week two and miraculously it was crystal clear. I never thought i would ever be someone to not wear makeup, and I have been (even on dates! That is how clear it is). It's still a little dry, but I started using a really gentle moisturizer (4 dollar ponds) with both the ziana & onexton and also using a lot less of the product. When I first got the onexton, I put a lot on because I wanted to make sure it "really worked" and that was such a mistake because it was VERY painful. I have been using a pea sized amount with moisturizer of both and it works better that way. When I was having my initial breakout, I would desperately read these reviews to have hope and I made a pact with god that if my acne clears up, I will share my experience to help others who are going through the horrible issues acne causes. My advice: don't use too much, don't exfoliate (ziana is an exfoliant and that's why there is flakey skin at first. It also makes your skin super thin so you can't pick and have to be very gentle), be careful in the sun, avoid any other harsh products, and hang in there! You might have an initial breakout, you might not. Either way, it depends on the person when your skin clears up and if you give up before 4 months, you could miss out on a chance to see the progress, my breakout was so bad that I wanted to stop and I read these encouraging posts and figured that I was going to have acne either way (if I was off the medicine or if I was on it) so I might as well suffer through breakouts while I'm treating it and it's worked for me. If you give up before a few months, you haven't even let the medicine do it's job yet and there isn't a single acne perscription that says if can get rid of your acne before 4 months (otherwise I would have tried it). Don't believe me? Ask your doctor. Don't give up, bug your doctor and ask a million questions. As soon as one didn't work, I got another, and kept going until I got something that works for me. I hope everyone finds what they're looking for and hangs in there :]

As you sound like you know what Yaz is like I need some advice please. I have my formal next week and I have Yaz to take but would it be ideal to wait until the week after formal as I don't want any worse breakouts??

started a week ago

for some reason i have been struggling with acne for years to the point where i feel im just disgusting. I've started taking the pill breaking out a bit but it gets worse before it gets better as i have heard. i hope this works because i have given up

Comments

Works. But difficult to go off

I've been on Yaz for 4 1/2 years and it really does work -- totally eliminated body acne and my face is pretty good, not perfect, but nothing that can't be remedied with a few applications of benzoyl peroxide. I tried going off it though, and I was so greasy and acne started showing up in bizarre places. I'm back on it now but hoping I'll outgrow my acne by the time I actually want to get pregnant? Maybe I'll have other things to worry about at that point?

NOT worth it

I initially went on Yaz after trying a few other birth controls to help control my ovarian cysts. Yaz is the only bc that doesn't make me nauseous, gain weight, or emotional which is great! Downside: HORRIBLE acne. I am 22 years old and I have never had acne this bad. I'm talking 6-7 cysts at a time, black heads, whiteheads, pustules, hyper-pigmentation and scars. The first 3 months were hell on earth. I went to my derm and got on Solodyn, retinol and BP. My acne only kept getting worse. Now it has been 3 months and it's starting to calm down. The only reason I stayed on it is because my doctor said I will really throw my hormones out of whack if I go off so soon. I will do 6 months more and then slowly get off it. My skin is getting better. It's really true what they say about the 3 month mark, like magic it started to disappear. I ordered The Regimen, I drink green tea and I take 60mg of zinc every day. If you take Yaz you NEEEEEEEEED to take zinc supplements. They have really helped. Overall, I do not recommend going on Yaz and I will be getting an IUD soon!

Popular Oral