Subcision Reviews

Subcision

Subcision for boxcar scarring...meh.

I've had two treatments for boxcar scarring. Diferrent doctors, different techniques. The first PS used a nokor needle followed by Juvederm the day of (which leaked out) and Restalyne a month later. I had tons of bruising and swelling and heard the popping sounds (from the scar bands 'breaking') but saw no improvement after the swelling subsided. The filler didn't even make a difference. The second PS used the needle from the filler and then injected Perlane. Very little bruising and swelling. No pain...froze my face with an ice pack vs. local injection. Despite being very happy for the first week or so, I don't see much improvement as of right now. It's only been a month so I suppose you could argue that result are still to come but as of right now, I'm not impressed. You'd think the filler would have done most of the heavy lifting anyway...and still only about 10% better. This might not be the best treatment for boxcars.

Subscion

Shallower scars Not as noticeable scars More self confidence 2 days down time. With bandage on I'm having excellent results and glad I did it. I was so scared and waited 1 year to make sure I needed this treatment. I researched on acne.org and found dr. Mamalak and dr Hansen in austin Texas!!!!iExcellent doctors , reduced the anxiety I was having and did an excellent job. Will post pictures so far if I can figure out how. It has now been 3 weeks and I'm still happy with the results. I know the collagen is still growing and is getting better and I'm more able to cover with makeup. I was surprised that it didn't hurt more I was mildly uncomfortable for about 2 days then I took off bandage and washed with nutogena extra mild liquid soap and covered with aquaphor . The brusing lasted about 7 - 10 days but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't go out. Sanova dermatology is the best I've found in austin Texas. I highly recommend these dermatologists as they know what their doing and are very honest with you. I had rolling scar. And 3 big acne scars done at once. It has been 1 month now and the results are so good. I will give it 6 months and then decide if I need anything more.

Follow up and pictures, please?
Can you please tell me the name if your doctor who performed this? Congratulations on the improvement!! I'm praying for the same.

Works amazingly well on rolling and dented scars. Does not work on boxcar scars. I have a couple of dented rolling scars from acne and boxcar scars from chicken pox. I had just one subcision on both these scars. Rolling scars responded really well. I'd say about 80% improvement. Don't expect to see the results immediately. It takes time for the skin to level up. Give it about 2 months time to work. Downtime is 2-3 days. For working folks, you could return to work on Monday if you have the procedure on Friday. There are several positive and negative reviews about subcision in this forum which are posted under a week after the procedure. Anything under a month is too early. Scars could look better or worse during this period due to swelling. Boxcar scars, IMO, showed 0% improvement. But I'm still giving this procedure 5 rating as I was fully aware that boxcar scars wouldn't respond. The $700 that I paid included consultation fee from an earlier visit and excision of ice pick scars. This combo was way cheaper than the price my doctor quoted for lasers ($3K+).

Hi, would you mind to pm me the name of the doctor? Desperately need help. Blueblueplanet@[link removed]
Can you please provide your doctor's name? thanks
Can you please give me the name of the doctor who performed this? Congratulations on your great improvement!!!!

I seems to have lifted the depressed scar. Not painful and only took about 15 minutes. Some mild bruising and swelling. I had this done late in the afternoon and was able to easily cover with make up and go to work the next day I'm giving this a 4 even though it's only been 6 days. The swelling is gone and it does seem to have lifted the depressed scar. My doctor only wanted to do one to see how well it would work. Also, she did not charge for this one, so I have no idea how much she will charge to have this procedure for other scars.

Comments

Works very well on some scars. I got over 50% improvement for some of the scars. Can be combined with laser or filler for additional improvement. Works best on rolling scars that do not flatten when stretched. I highly recommend this treatment if you have rolling scars. Long downtime (7-10 days) Possible lumpy area at treatment spot (though rare) Does not work on ice picks Doctors tend to miss some scars so make sure you point them all out or mark them with a pen before Overall it is a great scar treatment for rolling scars. It is not perfect though but I think this is the best treatment for rolling scars at the moment. Make sure you do your homework on it and find an experienced doctor. The price I paid if for the entire face. If you have the downtime, money and rolling scars, I highly recommend it.

Guest Jacqui
Guest Jacqui

I had fantastic results from the subcision combined with the fraxel laser treatment. It hurt a little bit. I was mentally prepared, having read a lot about it and wanting the procedure done badly enough, but I could see a teenage-me having trouble with it. I have wanted to have my scars removed since I was 13 and waited until now (23) till my acne mostly went away. I had a variety of ice-pick, boxcar, and rolling scars as well as enlarged pores. I did a lot of research and found the right doctor for me online - his website is [link removed]. He predicted a 45-75% increase and was very honest about what I could expect. I tried not to get my hopes too high, but after the first subcision/fraxel/tca cross I was delighted. I've had 1 TCA Cross, 2 Subcision, and 3 Fraxel. I have been done with subcision now for about two months and have 1 Fraxel treatment left. The price I listed as what I paid is just for one subcision treatment.

ive had subcision , in India , one session costs Rs.2000 i.e around $28 usd ,LOL .even one laser treatment costs $28-30 n works just fine :D
Jacqui, can you please provide the name of your doctor? thanks
Guest d
Guest d

made one of my rolling scars better, and made general area smoother next to my larger rolling scar i have a line-like depression that was not there before So subcision did help my skin but I have a line-like depression scar that was not there before...It has been 3 months since procedure and skin is maybe 30 % better...but the new line scar pretty much makes me think that cancels out the improvement. Doctor did say it would take a few times to get maximum results and mentioned lasering down the area afterwards but we didn't do it first time. So i have to go for another round of subcision or geta dermal graft to correct line. The doctor was skilled but I don't think itw as completely his fault that the line happened to I can't hate on the procedure. Just get your expectations down up front.

Comments

It definitely helped one scar a lot (so far--assuming it doesn't go down ;-). But the other scars have been more stubborn. But I am optimistic. Requires having it done more than once; Is expensive ($700 each time); So far (knock on wood), I don't think this has worsened any of my scars. I just had my 3rd round of subcision performed today. I see more scars than my derms seem to (want to) see (or treat!), and I do wish they would treat all of my scars, not just the most glaringly obvious. But the derm said to me today, "I can't treat something I can't see." I understand that, but it does depend on the lighting, and the uniform florescent doctors' offices' lights don't hit the face at that awful angle that brings out all the scars on the sides of the face. So, if you can find a caring, experienced, patient dermatologist who is willing to spend time on and with you, who doesn't think you're being nit-picky when in fact you are the patient who is paying hundreds of dollars for the treatment, then I would recommend seeing that doctor. I have been to supposedly the "best", but since one gentleman pushed injections and the other treated all of my scars in less than 2 minutes flat, I think it's hard to know who to go to. I am making the rounds.

Guest Liz
Guest Liz

was cheap, but probably will cost more to fix caused atrophy to the area treated, and purple marks has been 4 months since my treatment I have rolling acne scars and what looks like tiny white heads that wont pop just on my chin area- i went to DR Rullan after reading about him here and other sites- he injected a small amount of cortisone to a pimple and subsized- two sides of my chin also put acid in a large pore on my nose (sorry i cant think of correct terms for procedures) he burned some of the white head type things with a hot needle thing and then lasered the whole area- for a few weeks i was hopefully and it seemed like the acid worked, but then i developed a scar nodule where subscison was done- he injected that with saline along with more of the white head type bumps which seemed to work for a week- its now 4 months later and it looks worse then when i originally went in- purple marks more white bumps, hard lump on one side where subscision was done sunken in where cortisone was injected- also sinking at the top and bottom of the subscision area- looks like a dog bite now not sure what to do next

Guest Anonymous
Guest Anonymous

my scars are practically gone. I paid $850 for the treatment. I believe this can be done a lot cheaper. Doctor said it would be about 4 days downtime. I believe you need at least 6-7 days. Thur I had first subcision followed by fraxel laser. After reading the internet for 3 weeks straight, I decided to do the procedure. I was a little nervous, because I have literally tried everything. When I say everything, I have really tried it all...microdermabrasion (about 12-25), pixel laser (about 7-8), Yag laser (had about 10-15 shots in my face), the palomar laser (about 5-6). I have tried it all and spent a lot of money doing it. I remember one dermatologist telling me as long as it took you to get these scars, it will probably take that long to remove them. Well, he was right and wrong. Everyone who is trying to get rid of acne scars, please believe me when I tell you that no laser will work unless you raise the scar. Unless you have very superficial scarring, laser will be a WASTE of money. Day 4, I have on makeup, because of the fraxel procedure. I can already see an improvement. I may opt for another round of both, but I am leaning towards palomar laser on

you didn't mention anything about subcision
Guest Kristen
Guest Kristen

Works well with an experience physician and multiple treatments. Meant to be used on individual scars as first step before fillers or laser/dermabrasion. Bruising & swelling, but can mostly be covered with makeup. It's worth trying to improve your larger/more noticable scars.

Guest Subcision and TCA Cross Done
Guest Subcision and TCA Cross Done

Very cost-effective and little down time expected. Subcision appears to make the most sense to me for the rolling scars that I have. The doctor goes right to the source of the problem and fixes it. TCA appears to be ideal for ice pick scars. Like most acne scar treatments, one treatment probably will not suffice. I had subcision and the TCA Cross Method performed on my rolling and ice pick scars today by my dermatologist. After doing a lot of research on the internet, I decided that these two treatments were the best ones for my type of scarring. I found a terrific dermatologist five minutes from my home who was very gracious and understanding and explained everything very thoroughly to me.

Guest Adi
Guest Adi

Immediate improvement ! week minimum downtime. A very effective option if you have depressed scars oversmall areas. The only discomfort was the injections used to numb the areas that were to be 'subscisioned',and possibly the sound of the connecting tissues being cut, since you know its your own face but can't see or feel a thing! I'm very fair, so the blue marks on my face looked as if I'd been bashed in a street fight, but it took just 3 days to subside. I didn't need any of the painkillers that the doc gave me. The swelling took atleast 4 days to reduce. Now its been 9 days since the surgeru, and only the injection/needle puncture marks are very slightly visible, which infact look like old acne scars. The ice pick scars have gone totally, and I heard that the whole treated area looks even better after a month. Definetely worth it, if you have a good doctor.

What is the name of your doctor? thanks
Guest steve60610
Guest steve60610

healed fairly quickly, no downtime. some discomfort during the injections to numb your face before the procedure. Cost. I have only had one so far and am due to go back for the second treatment next week. My doctor thought I would need 3-4. It looked much smoother right away but now that it has healed from the first treatment I only see a slight improvement. I would like to combine these with a laser resurfacing, but on reading the laser treatment reviews on another page I am more confused than ever. I had been reading about Fraxel and how it was currently considered the most effective treatment for acne scars, it shocked me to read so many bad reviews.

Guest anwarguy
Guest anwarguy

actually works bloody I went ahead and purchased 100 nokor needles and have been doing my own subcision. This is serious stuff. Dificult positions and bloody etc. I can tell it works but I think best left to a surgeon.

Guest K.G
Guest K.G

Surgiwire and Wire Scalpel are two products used to perform subcision. from what I've read, complications can range from hypo/hyperpigmentation, scaring (reduced with new procedures) and bruising that can range from 1-4 weeks. Keep in mind everyone reacts differently. I've had a hard time finding Doctors that perform said procedure. ASK QUESTIONS! Make sure your physician is qualified and experienced. Also...I would avoid fat transfers. There isn't any controlling how much fat takes..or where. I had fat transfer done years ago...and the dr. truely made things worse. Although, it's not noticeable to anyone but me...it's bothersome. Fat CANNOT be removed for fear of causing facial paralysis. Just factors to keep in mind. Subcision appears to work on rolling scars and deep wrinkles. Google the brands given above, and they'll show you how operation is performed. Possible to use fillers after tx. To avoid the flesh to reattach with depression. Fillers absorb over time. The Dr. I found, performs the procedure at $700 base, and $100 per extra area performed. I will have more information once I see the physician that performs the operation. That's in about 4 days. Good Luck

Guest Ken
Guest Ken

Effective for boxscar Open-wound for a few days but fade quickly It doesn't hurt although it left some mark for a few days. Very effective and I would say my scar improved at least 60%. Highly recommneded.

Comments

Improves shallow, rolling scars a lot, esp paired with a laser treatment soon after. The marks left from it take a while to fade (at least on asian skin). They look like acne in the beginning and then take as long as acne to fade. (hyperpigmentation) Overall, a good treatment. Just expect to look like you have acne again for a while afterwards.

Guest spotty
Guest spotty

regain confidence none I have been performing subcision myself to 2 depressed rolling scars on my forehead and nose. I have done the procedure about 4 times now, and each time there has been an improvement..to the extent that the one on my nose is not now noiticeable with makeup. It was a case of trial and error, I dont think I was doing it right the first couple of times, as I didnt hear the'clicking' sound that you are supposed to hear. I would recommend this procedure absolutely.

Popular Medical