4.21,944 reviews

Spironolactone

Spironolactone Reviews

25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg of Spironolactone.

Calcium sulfate dihydrate, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavor, polydextrose, polyethethylene glycol, povidone, pregelatinized (corn) starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide and triacetin.

Spironolactone can take away your dermal (lip) filler on your face! fish oil worked for me

Spiro worked for me in a month and left me with red marks and i upped the dosage then lowered it back down and it hasn't cleared my face. I started taking fish oil 3 days ago 3000mg daily now my face is completely clear!! I had hormonal cystic acne and fish oil also helped fade my red marks from the purging spiro gave me. I also started using retin-A with fish oil to help with the scars.

I get a lot of fillers in my face because i'm naturally quite thin. I noticed that Spiro made my face look "drained" and flat, almost as if the fillers weren't able to retain the normal amount of water, or that I wasn't retaining the normal amount of water in my face as usual. I had to get fillers more frequently, and lips last me about 3 weeks. It also made my butt flat!!! I had to stop because I love my big butt and wasn't willing to part with it.

week 4 still waiting...

I know that it might be too soon to review but I am so sad. I am 19 and I've always had what I thought was acne prone skin. Looking back my skin used to be perfect and I took it for granted. This all started in December when I decided to stop taking my birth control,about 2 months later all hell broke loose on my face. I went to see my dermatologist as soon as possible and she prescribed me spironolactone 50 mg twice a day. I started taking Spironolactone almost 4 weeks ago and I have not noticed any changes in my skin. My dermatologist says it will take 8 weeks to start showing signs of improvement, but im feeling so discouraged. However, I know that if I stick with Spiro my skin will get better. I have been taking progress pictures and noticed that around 2 weeks after starting Spiro my skin began to break out or "purge". Then around 3 weeks my skin started to clear. I thought I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and my skin was improving, I was SO happy(I was wrong). Within 2 days after the 3 week mark my skin broke out so bad. I am still in the middle of this breakout. Wondering if the "purge" stage comes in waves? Has anyone else had this experience???

Hi Ava, I am writing this because I experienced exactly what you were experiencing, I was on birth control for 2 and a half years and my skin was beautiful but when i came off it i developed acne all over my chin, horrible big cystic acne it was horrendous so i went to the dermo and they prescribed me spiro 100mg a day with retin a cream to put on in the evening to help with marks on my face .. after the first 2 weeks i broke out so badly then it slowly started to get better, then bam after a month my spots kept at bay, then a few weeks later i was still having breakouts .. not as bad as before but lots of pimpled and then on and off for another month .. but i am offically at the 3 months mark and trust me when i say .. it will get better, my skin is now completely spot free apart from a little spot that came up due to the time of the month but thats it! my face is free of cystic acne, only thing i have left is tiny little lumps that arent dormant from my purging stage that i guess will go with time as they were so bad! so please stick with it because i read a million reviews obsessing over my face taking progress photos but its something you have to stick with and over a period of time itll get better, about a month ago i felt like i was at a standstill with my skin but a whole month later and its kickstarted again and really i can see such a dramatic change! dont be discouraged and stick with it!
thank you for responding Lucy, this was so helpful! I am wondering though, did your skin clear before 3 months or at 3 months exactly? I am now at 5 weeks and I feel as though my skin is starting to get worse again. Your message really gave me hope.

PLS DON'T GIVE UP

I've had chronic cystic acne for the past 5 or 6 years. It started on my forehead, then traveled down to my chin/mouth area and then more recently reached it's very worst, covering my cheeks/sides of face/jaw line. I tried to treat it naturally with diet, etc (but was never perfect or very committed). I did one short course of accutane a year ago. It cleared me up but within 2 months of ending it, I broke out terribly and it's lasted for months. I have hypothyroidism and I know that must have started this spiral of hormone imbalances and subsequent bad skin. As a result, I also had high androgens and very low progesterone. I started taking Spironolactone a little over 3 months ago. It is only in the last 2 weeks that it has started working. So, when they say to wait 3 months... they mean it. I was SO discouraged the first 2 1/2 months. My skin was making NO progress. I felt it was getting worse. But I PROMISE it get's better. I had the SAME breakout for 3 months on my face. The blemishes would not budge. They were huge, red, swollen, and sore. And I kept getting more. In the past 2 weeks or so the breakout has cleared up and I have not gotten a single new blemish, despite being in my ovulatory phase which is always the phase I get a terrible break out in. Please keep at it and don't get discouraged! It takes time but it will work. I also advise you to go see an endocrinologist or other dr that specializes in hormones so you can get tested for imbalances or deficiencies.

Spironolactone is the BOMB

I've been struggling with inflammatory and cystic acne for well over 30 years and have tried every conceivable treatment, including all the topicals, retinoids, oral contraceptives and various antibiotics, and 4 (yes, FOUR) 20-week rounds of Accutane. I would regularly get kenalog shots for the really deep, painful ones. My acne was NO JOKE and was leaving deep scars. Nothing kept my skin consistently clear until spiro. I take 100mg/day now. If I do no topicals at all and just the spiro, I'll get a bunch of small (non-scarring) pimples, but nothing too crazy. But when I add the Acne.org topical regimen to the spiro, my skin stays 100% clear indefinitely. So this is the routine I've been doing for almost 2 years now and it's been life changing!

Spironolactone - Heart palpitations, panic attacks, chest pain, anxiety

I would give this product 0 stars if I could. I have never written a product review in my entire life. I'm a 22 year old, perfectly healthy female. I exercise regularly, I eat a well balanced diet and have suffered from moderate acne for the majority of my teens/early 20s. I am completely mentally stable, I don't do drugs, have great friends / job / self esteem etc. After coming off the pill and roaccutane my acne started to re appear and so my dermatologist reccommended spiro. It worked alright for the first 3 months until I started getting horrible horrible heart palpitations which lead to 10 panic attacks in 2 weeks. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANXIETY OR A PANIC ATTACK IN MY WHOLE LIFE. The worst was when 4 in a row in 2 hours and had to be taken to the emergency room. Everyday for those 2 weeks I was constantly experiencing chest pain and heart palpitations, constantly fighting off another panic attack with deep breathing etc. I had a million theories why it might be happening, but the doctors assured me it wouldn't have been aldactone! Only after my GP and I did some research (I'm a psych student studying psychiobiology), and I went off spiro, did I return completely back to normal. PLEASE NOTE: this drugs HAS NOT been TESTED systematically for ACNE. It is and OFF LABEL DRUG. Be careful what you take, it may not have the same effects, but be goddam careful.

Comments

Spironolactone is the only treatment that worked

I've been taking Spiro for 9 years now and it has been the only thing that has kept my moderate acne away. I never had cystic acne but had many painful pimples and pustules. Prior to Spiro I tried topicals, oral antibiotics, and even Accutane. I tried different things for over a decade and none of it worked. The only acne scars I have, I got while taking Accutane, which made my skin flare up terribly. I was also constantly sick to my stomach the entire month and a half I took Accutane. If you're an adult female and still suffer with acne, please try Spironolactone before resorting to Accutane. The side effects of Spiro are minimal, if any, and it's very effective at combating hormonal acne. I had to ask my dermatologist to prescribe it to me. She didn't believe it would work. Thankfully, she was wrong.

Hello Silver12 how long did it take for Spirronlactone to take effect on your skin

Game Changer for Hormonal Acne

I have tried almost every type of acne treatment there is out there. Spironolactone is the only thing that made a real difference. Not only do I rarely have acne, but when I get a spot it goes away quickly! It's important that your dermatologist starts you off on a low dose. I started with 25 mg. Then went to 25 mg twice a day. Then 50 mg twice a day. You should be drinking a lot of water while on this--I drink like four liters a day. I personally didn't have any side effects besides having to pee a lot--could just be the water though. Also, you will gain weight easily if you have a high intake of potassium. I also take Junel Fe 1.5/3.0 for both birth control and acne/hormonal control. Everyone should know that this will make your birth control less effective, so think about using another form of birth control in addition.

Thankful

I had severe acne since middle school. I would have acne on my face, back, and chest. Senior year of high school, my acne was so embarrassing that I could never leave the house without makeup because I was so scared of what people would think about me. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed spironolactone 50mg for my skin. I would take one pill in the morning and one at night. I was also prescribed epiduo which is a gel that you rub into your face after you wash it at night. On top of these two medications I would wash my face with benzoyl peroxide 10% with a Clarisonic electric brush. So just a recap I would take my 50mg spironolactone twice a day, wash my face with 10% benzoyl peroxide twice a day, and then rub epiduo gel on my face. Although it took 3 months to see a difference, the wait was worth it. All three of these things have completely cleared up my acne and I feel like I can finally be myself again. I hope this helps.

Dont give up!!!

Started getting acne at age 14/15, tried everything (aczone, doxycycline, tazorac, facials, changing pillow cases, cutting out dairy). Even went on Accutane. It got so bad that I stopped going out, would always try to cover my face when talking to people, etc. Finally I broke down to my dermatologist and she prescribed me spironolactone (50/mg). Two, three, four weeks in I didn't notice any improvement but acne also did not get worse like others have mentioned. Finally after 7 weeks its COMPLETELY CLEAR, after a decade of acne. Heres my regimen : wash face nightly with Cetaphil gentle cleanser, take spironolactone, drink tons and tons of water. I do not have any side effects from the medication that I have noticed. Im still dairy free just because I feel better that way! Short story: don't give up, I wanted to quit after 3 weeks but don't. You will get there!

Comments

Depression new low/suicidal thoughts (TRIGGER WARNING)

I'm 19 years old and have been dealing with acne of all sorts since I was 12. Different things have worked for me at different times for the most part (epiduo at age 12-14, ortho tri cyclen at 15) but since graduating high school about 2 years ago, I've had this acne that I have not been able to get to go away no matter what I try. About a month ago, I went to the dermatologist and ended up being prescribed spironolactone and cefadroxil. The cefadroxil was supposed to be for the period of time that it takes for the spiro to "kick in" but I ended up discontinuing it due to side effects and seeing absolutely no difference in my acne. I was prescribed these because I expressed my concern with taking hormonal birth control considering I had extreme depression while on ortho tri cyclen and when I had an IUD. I also was not ready to go for Accutane (and unfortunately never will be). So, with no warnings from the dermatologist, I was feeling hopeful about the spironolactone. A few days ago, I had an intense dissociative/depressive episode where I had to be physically held back by my boyfriend for 1-2 hours because I was trying to leave his house so I could go to mine and take my life. I did not feel like myself, and certain details from the night seem to be very fuzzy in my memory. All I can seem to remember is seeing an image of a pill bottle (oxycontin) in my mind for at least 20 minutes straight and feeling as though it was calling my name, telling me to come take all of the pills. I also remember I was extremely angry at my boyfriend for trying to stop me, and was trying to push past him as he tried to talk me out of it. I should note that NOTHING like this has EVER happened to me before. I've definitely been in a funk the past month while on this medication, but I wrote it off because I suffer from mild depression anyways. My mom and I were surprised and angered to find that there are a plethora of hits when you search spiro and depression. TL;DR: Spironolactone increased my depression to an extremely dangerous point, and in the mean time didn't even work on my acne. NOT worth it at ALL.

Patience is key

I’ve had acne for over a decade. When I was 19, my skin cleared up and I stopped using acne products altogether. Then I got my nexplanon put in and all hell broke loose on my face. I got the worst acne of my life and even started getting occasional cystic acne (which I had never had before). That’s when I made my first derm appointment and he prescribed me a combination of 100mg spironolactone, aczone, and ovace lotion. I started all three at the same time, so I can’t tell you which caused it, but my face immediately ceased 80% of its oil production. The only side effect was that I noticed that I got light headed a little easier when I stood up, but that’s it. For the first month, I broke out terribly and officially had the worst acne of my life since I had my nexplanon inserted. It wasn’t until I was on spironolactone for about a month and a week that I noticed any changes in my acne. Instead of having 20-30 pimples on my face at all times, I had 4 or 5. I’m still only about a month and a half into this, and I see my acne disappearing more and more each day. I am so happy with the results. My suggestion is to STICK WITH IT because it took a while for it to work for me and much longer for other people. In fact, it seems like it worked unusually fast for me.

Comments

great with doxycycline but really awful side effects

I was originally prescribed 25mg once a day for a month, had a really bad IB a day before my period during that month but has since cleared up. I'm up to 50mg once a day now (second month in) and although i'd say 70% of my acne cleared up, the side effects SUCK. I've gotten my period 3 times already this past month month and a half (every 2 weeks), and the medicine tastes SOO BAD!! It leaves such a bad after taste in your mouth ugh... but it's so worth it. You also need to get bloodwork done every 2-3 months or so which kinda sucks. I'm also on 100mg of doxycycline once a day and that didn't clear up my acne alone but with spiro I feel like this combo truly is amazing for hormonal and cystic acne. Just be prepared to stock up on pads! I also started getting a weird feeling in my lower back down to my knee caps (sort of like a tingling feeling or the pain you get after working out without properly stretching?) and I was wondering if anyone else has similar pains?

life changing!!

Before I started taking this medication, I had severe cystic acne for 6 years. I would stay home from school because I felt ugly and I was in constant pain. 3 months after I started taking spironolactone, my entire life changed. My skin has been clear ever since. I've been taking this medicine for 2 years now, and it's helped me tremendously. If you want to take it, get ready to drink lots of water!

Horrible Anxiety

I read several great reviews on here about Spiro and was convinced it was the answer to my hormonal acne problems. After a month I didn't see much of a difference but didn't feel any negative side effects either so I asked to double my dosage to 50 mg a day. Within 5 days I started having chest pains and terrible anxiety. I had a full blown anxiety attack and even after going back down to 25 mg a day the anxiety didn't go away and my skin continued to break out. I've been on it for two and a half months and have decided to quit due to emotional health. I even had to go on anxiety meds. I'd rather go back on birth control than continue with this. If you have emotional reactions to this, don't let your doctor try to convince you it's not from the Spiro, it very well might be and you should discontinue right away.

Comments

Back to the drawing board

This drug is primarily for high blood pressure, I took it for a few months and it worked fine for my acne then after maybe 8 months it just stopped working, I didn't really have any side effects from it but a year later I am now taking it for high blood pressure.

I’m about 30 years old and this drug makes me feel 70

The WORST medical decision I ever made. After the first two months of the “initial break out“ that only some doctors warn you about, I decided I couldn’t take the other side effects. It was after getting off of the drug, however, that creates my biggest concern/complaint/warning for you. For the first time in my life, my hairline started to recede, and I developed more facial hair. I know it seems counterintuitive, but I asked my dermatologist about it, and he said it could be an effect of this drug. If you use this medicine, I strongly encourage you to read the potential side effects before you start the regimen. Especially considering that I was only on it for a couple of months and had such a negative response even after getting off of the drug, I feel it is necessary to warn other people.

starting to give up?

Ive been using it for almost a month and my skin has never broken out this bad, I talked to my derm and they said it gets worse before it gets better but i dont know if i can take it anymore. Im fine with breaking out when starting a medication because i usually do but with this one my face, chest and shoulders are just covered with small itchy pimples. Before this my skin was extremely oily but now its really itchy, dry and flaky and i dont know if i should keep using it or not.

Comments

READ THIS NOW!! IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE AND SKIN!

Hi all, Let me start from the very beginning - I used to have good skin, only a few spots here and there, but being 16 I was very fussy and self conscious and wanted perfect skin. I went to the doctors and they put me on dianette (a strong birth control pill) which made my skin beautiful but also made me VERY fat. I stayed on for about 6 months and not being able to tolerate the weight, I came off and ended up getting the worst acne of my life. I tried to treat it naturally but nothing was working, so after a year of bad acne I went on the Yasmin pill, and started low dose spirinolactone too (this being self medicated as my doc would not prescribe it.) this combo worked perfectly, and my skin was as clear as ever and I never ever got any breakout no matter what I ate or what skin products I did or didn't use. After a few years on this combo, and suspecting Yasmin for causing my hair loss and flat, emotionless state and spironolactone for bad side effects, I weaned myself off of both meds and used Angus castus and Spearmint capsules and tea to balance my hormones and skin. This worked ok and my skin did well for about 2 years, and I managed to lose all the weight, however this dramatic weight loss triggered another breakout which kept getting worse and worse. I tried for 6 months to increase spearmint etc tried all different skin products but nothing was helping, in fact everything I did or used seemed to make my skin even WORSE. I had enough and started to self medicate spironolactone again, starting July 11th 2017 at a dose of 50mg. I slowly increased my dosage to 150 mg, and throughout this stage my skin was at it's worse ever, as you all probably know by now, it definitely gets a lot worse before it gets any better. My skin started to improve around the 3 months mark, by which this stage I had increased my dosage to 150mg in the morning (before 3pm is more effective as this is when androgens are at their highest) WITH food, and 50mg at night time with a snack. Taking it with food is very important. I also did a hell of a lot of research and at 200 mg the side effects were quite severe but it was the dosage that worked best for my skin, so I kept reading up on different things to alleviate this. What I found is that LICORICE ROOT (I take the Swanson Licorice root capsules - 2 with my 150mg morning dosage) works synergistically with spironolactone as Licorice root increase blood pressure and lowers potassium - where as spiro decreases blood pressure and increases potassium. So taking the Licorice root with the spironolactone ensures a good balance where blood pressure is not lowered so much, and potassium levels are not increased so much, every thing is balanced perfectly and it reduces the side effects to ZERO for me. I went from taking 200 mg and having bad heacahes, bad dizziness, non stop pissing, palpitations, to being able to take my dosage with none of those side effects and feeling great and healthy with CLEAR skin all by adding LICORICE ROOT to my regime. Try it! Ps it has now been just over 4 months of being on 200mg with the Licorice and my skin is 95% clear, I maybe get one tiny spot every week that you can't see only feel, I only have marks left from the old acne and even that is fading from doing lactic acid peels and using oils. I am positive my skin will be 100% clear and free of marks very soon, and imagine I went from getting 3-4 new cystic acne every day. Try it!!

Comments

amazing drug to try after trying everything else

I had very mild acne through high school and college (which I regret not appreciating at the time haha), but soon after graduating from university I decided to stop other meds (ADHD, depresssion), and the combination of that with finally getting some breathing room after 8 years of very intense schooling, probably released a bunch of toxins and caused my hormones to go into haywire. I tried antibiotics, Accutane, all the creams, facials. Nothing worked as well as spironolactone. I started on 100mg/day, but was really dehydrated, then went down to 75mg. After a year and a half of that dose, I went down to 50mg and am comfortable with this dosage. I and still get an occasional pimple but it will clear up in a day or so, whereas when I wasn't on spirono, I couldn't know when it would go away. However, I feel like I'm dependent on the medicine. I hope to, in the next year or so, go to 37.5 then 25, and eventually go off of it altogether, but I am anxious about the difficulty of that. Also, if you are hoping to get pregnant, you have to be off of this for at least a month before you can safely conceive. So if that is an immediate desire, I would stay away from this drug. If you don't want kids, I totally recommend it. It has redeemed my self esteem, but I'm unsure what the long term effects are. I do have occasional cramps and my periods are sometimes irregular, and I drink a ton of water, but my skin looks amazing. (I also use Rodan & Fields unblemish line, which helped me reduce to 50mg, with Oil of Olay Regenerist, as well as a prescription retinoid). I also think it might aggravate depression in some people, particularly with alcohol. So I would recommend reducing or remove alcohol altogether. In conclusion, I would say try everything else-with regards to foods, sugar intake, etc. before starting this, especially if you are hoping to become pregnant. But if that isn't a desire for you, I would try this incredible medicine. And if you do, be patient. It will work. But continue to listen to your body. *~~*~~*

TRUST ME AND READ THE WHOLE THING

I'm a 21 year old female that is caucasian and has fair skin that is extremely sensitive. Although my skin is sensitive, I struggle with oily acne prone skin. A couple of years ago I was given Bactrim at a pretty high dose to try and combat my acne. It worked! almost a week in, the acne was gone and the scars were disappearing. It was seriously an acne miracle. Although, every time I went off of the medication my acne returned with a fight. My derm didnt want me to be on bactrim forever since it is a pretty intense drug and isnt meant for forever use. Finally, I asked my dermatologist for me to try spironolactone. I have PCOS and knew my acne must be related to hormones. It was deep and cystic and never was a simple pimple or two. The first week (50 mg) my acne was the same. The second week (50 mg) my acne got worse. During this time I was still taking a pretty high dose of bactrim to get me through the initial breakout phase. After a month the initial breakout started to end and my skin returned back to its normal self (cystic acne like normal) I then upped my dose to 100 mg. My skin then had another initial breakout but wasn't nearly as bad as before. At about 2 months is when I saw some improvement in my skin. Anytime before that my skin was the same if not worse. My skin at this time was softer and my pores were smaller. I started to decrease my bactrim dose and to my surprise I wasnt breaking out as much as I would have before if I had lowered my bactrim dose. Before, my skin would breakout if I went even a day without taking my bactrim medication. At three months my skin improved even more. It was softer and i wasnt getting deep cystic acne but moreso regular pimples like anyone else. At four months my skin was getting softer, firmer, and less oily while having no cystic breakouts and no antibiotic medication. The first couple of months were rough but trust me, you just have to wait! It gets better. My skin is NOT perfect. but its 90 percent better than before.

Not a fan...so far

I tried Spironolactone back in 2014 when my doctor recommended it. She felt I had hormonal acne, and I believe we had tried antibiotics, creams and other topicals in the past. When I was in my early 20s I was on accutane which was amazing except for the fact my hair thinned out a great deal, and there was a lot of shedding and a little bit of dryness (the corners of my lips would crack). Anyways fast forward to now I decided to give Spironolactone another try because I had been doing peels, and doxycycline with some results but I do not like to be on antibiotics because I feel like they interfere with my sleep pattern. Mind you I had been on antibiotics in the past before I tried Accutane. So I think I have almost been on this again for a month but I restarted it on November 11th (I had some pills left over from last time), and I let my doctor know I would like to retry it again. She prescribed 50 mg tabs to be taken once daily, and gave me 3 months worth. At this point I don't think I will make the month mark if I continue to display the clinical signs I have. For the last 3 days I have had hives/red welts all over my body. Saturday they were just on my back where my sports bra made contact, and lower lumbar region, on Sunday I had welts I believe it was on my chest and neck, and on my back, Monday I had them appear on my tummy area, but specifically around my arm pits, and flank area. I noticed getting itchy after yoga last night. I usually start getting a rash, and hives and welts when I am relaxing and about to go to sleep. I am a veterinarian so I know why the drug is used so I figure I get a weird reaction due to a drop in blood pressure. Anyway, this happened the last time I tried Spironolactone 3 years ago. What activated the itchy reaction was eating spicy food. Another weird side effect when I first began this medication is I had a lot of acid reflux. I believe it was because I was not taking it with food all the time. I am taking it with food this time, and I no longer have an urgency to burp. That is the best way to describe that side effect from a few years ago. I know a few days ago over the weekend I had some spicy chicken. Well that seemed to activate things again, and I believe that is why I get hives, and welts all over my body while on this medication. Most people will say don't eat spicy food. I have not eaten any spicy food since Sunday. So when I had a reaction this afternoon just sitting and reading I was very surprised. Today I only took a 1/2 tab of the 50 mg tab. I know it takes awhile for the drug to clear from your system. At this point I am thinking about either alternating days, or stopping all together again. The itching is very uncomfortable, and in order to stop it I have to take an anti-histamine, and apply soothing topicals (hylatopica + vanos ointment). What I would prefer is something natural to cure my natural acne. I have taken dramatic steps to change my diet in the last few months. I eat a small amount of dairy (just cheese), drink cashew milk, and I use almond yogurt. I also try to eat a whole food diet with fruits and veggies. My biggest enemy is soda probably which I love. I am considering replacing soda with juicing because I used my mom's over thanksgiving and absolutely loved it. I did recently see that someone on here recommended using apple cider vinegar as a toner, and because I prefer a natural remedy I am currently trying that to see what results I get. I am so tired of these cystic breakouts on the side of my face, and chin. They take so long to go away and then when they do they leave really bad scars that take forever to fade. Would I recommend spironolactone? not if you have a sensitive system like mine. I don't think they tested it enough to be honest. My dermatologist said she has not had any patients have a similar reaction to mine.

Hopeful

I'm a 35-year-old female and never had acne before in my life. Even during my teenage years, I stayed completely clear while all my friends suffered from puberty acne. Having said this, my life changed drastically beginning of 2017. My derm and obgyn came to the conclusion that I have late-onset adult acne caused by hormonal imbalance. My cheeks, jawline, chin, back, and mouth are covered in painful cysts, blackheads, and whiteheads. Every morning, I wake up to at least 8 or 10 new cysts and zits. My life has completely turned upside down. I can't think of anything other than my face and how disgusting I look. My self-esteem is pretty much non-existent. On October 3rd, I started to take Spiro 50mg for a week, then after a week 100mg, and after the second week 150mg as my derm instructed. I also was prescribed doxycycline 100mg together with the Spiro and a topical Finacea 15% foam. It has been over a month now and I have yet to see any improvement. I still wake up to a dozen new zits and my face seems to be breaking out worse than before. The topical and the doxycycline haven't shown any improvement either. Yesterday, I saw my derm and he said that I should have seen some type of improvement by now and that my acne should not have gotten worse. This comment worried and confused me a bit, since I have been reading on the internet and on here that Spiro takes a while to kick in and that some women have an initial breakout (the whole spiel of it has to get worse before it gets better). Then my derm suggested I stop taking all of the medication and go on Accutane. Now, I made my research on Accutane and it is not something I want to try, especially since my acne is caused by hormones. Accutane would not cure my hormonal imbalance, and so after Accutane eventually my hormonal acne would return. I told him this but he was very persistent about the Accutane. I told him that I would like to continue with the Spiro since I'm not experiencing any side-effects. He then switched the antibiotics to minocycline and prescribed me tretinoin and clindamycin, which I started taking yesterday. Here are my questions for you: Has anyone of you been resistant to Spiro? How bad was your initial breakout? How long did it take to see results? Does the improvement come in steps (from cysts to small zits)? I really want this to work for me!

Go on accutane. It doesn't matter if its hormonal acne, because what the drug does is permanently change the oil production of your skin which causes all acne. I'm one of the first groups ho took it in the 80s and I haven't regretted it in nearly 40 years.
You should read up on something called Estroblock. Heard it’s really helpful for adult severe acne. Let me know if you have any luck!
Hi HasiE82, I was just wondering what you decided to do with the Spiro? Have you continued taking it or did you stop? If so has your skin improved at all? I am also in my 30’s and have adult acne and have been on Spiro since mid-November and I am up to 100 mg which I’ve been on for a month now. I’ve seen very very minor improvements but I still wake up with new zits almost every day. It’s so so frustrating and so embarrassing. I’m a mom of 4 boys and I just can’t believe I’m dealing with this right now in my life. I have read countless reviews from women saying to stick it out because it can take up to 6 months to see results. That feels like a lifetime when we’re in the moment.... I do not believe Accutane is the answer either because it doesn’t not give lasting results most times. But I guess after Spiro it could be our only option.
weid(wo)man, sorry for responding so late but I just saw your comment on my post. Yes, I'm still on spiro. March 3rd will mark 4 months for me. This is what I can tell you: the wait is worth it! I had a terrible initial breakout around month 1 and my acne was worse than ever. To be honest, I didn't have as many cysts, whiteheads, and blackheads until I started my treatment with Spiro. In my case, my acne got worse before it got better. I would have 4 to 5 cysts and every day! And it seemed as if the spiro wasn't working at all. Everything changed for me at the 2 months mark. I stopped having cysts all together and would only get whiteheads (although it was still around 6 or 8 of time at a time, better than having cysts that take forever to heal). Once I hit the 2 months mark, with every day my face got better and I would get fewer whiteheads too. Now, I'm completely free of any spots on my face (knock on wood). My face is much smoother and the only thing I'm waiting for is for the hyperpigmentations to fade. I'm also using tretinoin 0.25% every night and that has been a gamechanger. I have absolutely no blackheads. They are literally all gone (my face used to be covered in them). All in all, I'm so happy with the results and am so glad that I stuck it out. I know how hard it is, trust me. However, these are my experiences and every person is going to respond differently to spiro. I hope it will work for you too. Best of luck and hang in there!

Heaven sent, life changing, miracle acne drug

This drug takes a while to have an impact. I kid you not, I read literally every review left on this site for spiro while waiting for what others referred to as heaven sent results. And I am so glad I stuck it out. My skin was really clear until around 17 and then it slowly got bad. It was deep, cystic, inflamed, and I had the terrible habit of picking combined with anxiety. I hated my face and I have many deep scars from picking at acne. Nothing really worked for the deep stuff but I did eventually find a routine that worked well for surface acne. Then I got pregnant at 30 and my skin completely cleared. I glowed, it was unbelievable how much of an impact clear skin had on my self worth. I joked I would have had kids a decade earlier if I knew it would give me clear skin! I nursed for almost two years and by the end of it was starting to have more breakouts when I got pregnant again. My skin went back to amazing and again there was a slow reemergence of acne but this time I went to the dermatologist as I was insured for the first time in my life. I then was using Aczone twice a day because I was nursing and told when I stopped we could try oral medications. The medication helped with the surface acne but the deep stuff was slowly returning and when I weaned I started taking Spiro. I started at 25mg twice a day for 2.5 months. I lost a few pounds of water weight, looked a bit leaner, and had to pee quite often as well as drink more fluids. I had a few moments of light headed ness, and had heavy breakouts around the second to fourth week and consistently broke out. My husband said “why bother� quite often when it wasn’t working after a month which was super discouraging. I kept reading all the reviews on this site every night and took my pills regularly. Eventually the acne got worse as the surface kind returned. After 2.5 months I went back desperate for a higher dose. The dermatologist switched me to a topical clindamyacin (sp?) and increased the dose to 50mg twice a day. I had a heavier breakout after increasing disease but after about a month the surface acne had cleared and the deeper stuff was coming less often. After two months my skin was back to its glowing pregnancy state! Now I may get a blemish here or there before my period but it is small and quickly healed and gone. I’m so grateful my doctor recommended it to me, as I had never heard of it prior. Spiro has changed my life dramatically. No more hiding because I can’t face the public, and I hardly ever use my makeup any more. I wish I found this before I ruined my skin with scars. It is cheap and heaven sent! My best advice is to start with a low dose, slowly increase and STICK IT OUT!

Hi Labboro, Thank you for your review. It gives me hope. I am also in my 30’s and had beautiful skin while I was pregnant with my 4 boys but each time after I was done nursing my skin went nuts and my acne gets horrible. I have been on Spiro since mid-November and am up to 100 mg for a mont now. I’m not seeing a huge improvement. I still wake up every day with new zits. I know it takes time but I am hoping by February I’ll see some kind of drastic improvement because that will mark 2 months I’ve been on 100 mg. Is your skin still clear? Do you use any topicals along with it? Thanks in advance!

Worked great - at first

Long time hormonal cystic acne sufferer, got bad in my early 30s - tried to avoid oral meds and anything with a systemic effect, but it got so bad I got desperate. Prescribed by my Derm initially at a higher dose, I think 75mg. Slowly but surely my skin improved, and the course of the next year I was titrating down from 75, then 50, then 25 - then tried breaking the 25 in half to 12.5mg doses (hoping to get off it altogether) and nope, the cysts were back. Even at 25mg it has never been perfect, just "good enough". But when I went back up to 50, I for a high potassium lab back, so Derm now won't let me go higher than 25. After about 4 years at 25mg, my acne has been getting progressively worse again... so, IMO Spironolactone was part of the fix, but obviously (unfortunately) not the whole story...

Ineffective, after 5 months of use

I had an awful breakout a year ago and had cystic acne all over my jawline and neck area. I tried this product to help clear my hormonal cystic acne and found it to be ineffective in treating this type of acne. I used it daily for 5 months, and it did nothing to help my acne. I was still breaking out and using the toilet all the time. I have used only natural remedies for the past 3 months after trying medications and topical treatments from the doctor that didn't work and my cystic acne has now completely cleared up. I have linked my video with before and after pictures that explains exactly what I did to clear my skin so if you are interested, please click the link in the 'About Me' section of my profile.