Sodium Sulfacetamide Reviews

Sodium Sulfacetamide

Ovace Plus and Differin

I used to have moderate acne about a year ago, then i started using adapalene .1% at night and Ovace in the day. This worked wonders! After a period of dryness for about a week or two, my skin started to clear up. I started this treatment in October, and I was 100% clear by April. I would still get a pimple every once in a while, but my cysts and scars were gone! I definitely reccomend this product!

Klaron, Mexar, Ovace, Ovace Plus, RE 10 Wash, Sulfacetamide skin wash

Loved the above products and have been using them for years. Today I was told by the pharmacy that they have been taken off the market. Did anyone else hear about this and why???

Fantastic

I was taken off of a strong antibiotic for my acne (Solodyn) because it was too dangerous to take for more than a year. I was put on a much weaker and much less efficient antibiotic. My skin started looking the worst it has ever looked, even though I was on Tazorac and Aczone as well. Marks, horrible texture, cysts, dark spots, and breakouts regularly. Finally, I was put on the Sulfacetamide skin wash, and over the course of 6 months, all of those problems have practically vanished. None of the other products helped me as much as this $15 skin wash has. I have found that you HAVE to make sure you exfoliate every once in awhile, or else the product works a lot less. I still use Doxycycline, Tazorac, and Aczone, just because my acne is so severe, but part of me thinks that I might not even need to be on those anymore.

For me, sodium sulfacetamide/sulphur lotion ended a life-long fight against acne!

Fantastic

Amazing

I have had acne for 10 years. I have tried everything in the book (topicals, washes, pills/capsules, masks, even accutane, etc). I was first prescribed sodium salfacetamide about 6 years ago in wash form for my back and noticed it completely cleared it up. I then started using it on my face (which you shouldn't do unless you consult your doctor first) but it cleared up my face very quickly. I have been using the lotion form for about the last 4 years and my skin hasn't been clearer. It is also inexpensive, I get mine for $15 with insurance. I recommend this it everyone with any kind of acne.

it works

my dermatologist prescribed this to me for my cystic acne and rosacea, and I'm so glad she did! within 2 weeks I've noticed that my face wasn't as red and irritated and I haven't had any breakouts!

can you tell me how long it took to see results?
^^^ same, ive been on this for a week now with still reoccuring chin breakouts.. could all be coming to the surface but did you see gradual results from the beginning or results at the 2 wk mark?
^^^same here with the chin breakouts, are there any other products that help with that

Cures my hormonal acne

This lotion plus inositol completely cured my hormonal acne- and i have been on accutane twice. I recommend this stuff to anyone and everyone. My acne is PCOS induced.

How many mg of Inositol are you on??
Are you having to stay on it to keep the results working or did you ween off the medications? I have the same situation; pcos, was given this wash and Bactrim

My opinion of Sodium Sulfacetamide

The following statements are my experiences and my opinions. I was prescribed Sodium Sulfacetamide and later Sulfacetamide with Sulfur lotion. They were respectable treatments. However, over time both diminished in effectiveness. Sulfacetamide with Sulfur lotion was slightly more effective.

Comments

Only thing to actually work

I have had moderate acne for 7 years and the pain and embarrassment constantly plagued me. I now use a sodium sulfacetamide lotion prescribed to me by a dermatologist, and I have been using the product for 5 months. After about three months I had little to no acne and currently my scarring is greatly diminished. I still occasionally get one or two pimples with stress or hormone fluctuations. PLEASE try this out if you struggle with moderate acne I cannot believe the success that I have had with it. My current day and night routine is using a gentle cleanser (Dove, Neutrogena, it doesn't really matter), then the sulfacetamide cream, and then an eye cream. I usually a gentle washcloth for some light exfoliation to lighten acne scars. Please consider this product, I used to have no hope for my skin. Before, I tried salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and tretinoin with no success. This is the only thing that has worked and has left me comfortable with my skin. My life has not magically changed since I got rid of my acne, but it is one less thing to worry about and stress about. I hope others can find success in this product as well. Best of luck to anyone struggling- You are not alone, and you are an important and beautiful person with or without acne.

Comments

Much gentler than benzoyl peroxide

I have been using this for only a week, and I am already seeing dramatic results. Not only does it help to reduce my breakouts, but it has even help to fade my hyperpigmentation a bit. My skin usually gets red and flaky after I put BP on and it usually takes a few weeks to see any tangible results. I think I just might stick with this instead of my usual BP and Retin-A.

do you know where i can buy this in paris?

This stuff works!

I've been using a 9% Sodium Sulfaceramide/ 4% Sulfur face wash for almost 7-8 months now and it has yet to fail me. I don't know how but this stuff works. Supposedly it creates a bad environment for bacteria to grow on your skin. I hate spot treating as I think it is such a hassle getting it off and always leaves weird, dry, random spots wherever I try to spot treat so I like to use face washes for treatment. Right now I have one pimple on my forehead and it is going down! I used to first take off my make up with a Cerave face wash THEN use this face wash in the night but recently I stopped doing that and no problem! I do, however use a Clinique clarifying lotion after this and it does pick up some left over makeup/dirt etc. I think this is great for mild-moderate/persistent acne. It really helps keep your skin clear. It is very gentle and does not irritate my skin at all like benzoyl peroxide. It does have a strong, sulfury smell but the end results are worth it. It is creamy, does not foam or lather up so if you like those it does take a bit adjusting. Overall, I like this stuff a lot and I think it's a huge contribution to my clearer skin. But like everything else, it's not a miracle product and you do need to take care of your skin overall to get the best results!

Comments

Works like any other sulfur product.. but can be very over-drying

Works like any other sulfur product Expensive Very drying I would recommend you just use a less irritating over the counter sulfur product.. you will achieve similar results without the expensive price and hassle of getting a doctor to give it to you.

Comments

- cleared any bumps that did not seem to come to a head within about 2/3 days! - saw a difference after the end of the first week, small pimples had dried and would flake off - goes on smooth, a little goes a long way - pimples will come up then go away and stay away! - getting my skin clear ... will continue to update - red marks are fading quicker! - acne gets worse before it gets better; for mine, pimples came to a head (looked worse) but they are going away. - if you dont have insurance, can be pricey. I tried Clearasil, Neutrogena facewashes, soap free, oil free, Aveeno Foam cleanser, etc. Nothing worked - acne never went away, just got worse. My pimples either come to a head right away, are small and can be picked off, or are biggish bumps that stay under the skin for ages! All of them leave a red scar no matter what... and on top of that I am a picker. Awful habit, need to break it. This product works by killing the bacteria on the skin that causes acne. I find this a lot better than oral meds, unless you have hormonal acne. This heals any of the "correctly" popped pimples by helping them come to a scab overnight! For the ones I pick at, the skin just gets damaged and it takes longer to heal. Right now, my derm has put me on this stuff, minocycline 100 mg daily, and veltin gel. I think this combo works wonders if you have a similar condition to me. i have VERY SENSITIVE skin. cannot use anything harsh. I use the veltin at night, put aveeno daily moisture lotion after, go to bed, wake up, wash face, put on this stuff! then sunscreen and im out. No makeup. I am seeing major improvements already. Skin is becoming more evenly toned, less scarring. Wish the best of luck to all of you. I love this product so far, and I will keep you posted after about 3 more weeks. :) BTW - I am 17, in high school getting ready to go to college, wearing no makeup really helps your skin improve!

Guest Carrie
Guest Carrie

-Cleared my cysts in just a couple days -evens out my complexion -inexpensive -keeps my face clear! -not oily or drying, goes on smooth -smell- i normally dont wear it when im out unless i need a spot treatment -bottle says expires in 90 days once mixed and almost on the dot my face will break out again and ill still have half the bottle left -two or three times i got a bad batch that was completely useless, but next bottle worked fine I tried so many things from otc products to washes to oral antibiotics and prescription creams. This is the only thing that has ever worked for my acne cysts! On the rare occassion i have a minor breakout, applying this during the day (i usually inly wear at night) takes away the red and shiney more than any makeup ive tried. Great stuff and inexpensive with my insurance.

Comments

It works!! Inexpensive A little smelly, but worth it! I have had bad acne for a long time and tried so many things! Even after going to a dermatologist nothing seemed to work until I got prescribed this. My skin became totally clear! I had the foam, and just put it on before going to sleep. If I got a new breakout, it would almost clear it up over night. I recently ran out and started breaking out again. I tried some OTC products, but thankfully got this prescription renewed. It keeps me hopeful for clear skin!

Comments

haven't seen any pro's yet. i am using the lotion, not the wash or cream. it is runny and it doesn't rub in. it looks chalky on skin. it smells very bad. it's expensive if you don't have insurance. take oral antibiotics, maybe try the wash, but the lotion is no good.

Guest Ally
Guest Ally

Completely stopped me from getting cysts on forehead, small bit of dryness in beginning but after a week didn't even need to use moisturizer. Made skin tone look smooth. Chin, mouth and jaw line area never stopped breaking out. Did nothing for blackheads and if you aren't careful when applying, there will be very obvious white smudges left that appear in an hour or so! I realllly wanted this topical to work, I was so hopeful after reading the reviews here and this was my last resort before accutane. At first, I combined this with Bactrim DS and my skin looked good, I had no breakouts! But after getting allergic to bactrim and having to continue Klaron on its own, I just never stopped breaking out. My forehead was muchhh better, no more of those painful cysts but my chin, which is my biggest problem area, would get at least one new zit every single morning. It was so depressing and made me not want to leave the house. However, I loved that it wasn't drying and thankfully it didn't make me break out in places that I didn't break out in before i.e. my cheeks. Everyone knows it's scary trying a new product but this seems to be a rather gentle product and it can make your skin tone look smoother so I'd say go for it just to see how it turns out for you! I tried it for 5 weeks and since my breakouts are getting worse, I just can't continue it any more. I'm really hoping I can get on accutane, there just aren't many more options left and acne is like fighting this invisible enemy that you can't control no matter what! Agh!

Guest Kim
Guest Kim

-inexpensive with insurance -easy to use -went well under makeup -did nothing for my acne I have moderate acne mainly pustules and papules with some blackheads. This did nothing for me acne at all after using it for about 2-3 months.

Comments

Cleared my skin in a couple of weeks. My skin before was red, bumpy and easily flared after taking oral antibiotics for a couple of years and felt completely hopeless. I'm so glad that I realized about this product from my dermatologist. Works great!! none Really try this product. It doesn't give harmful side effects and does not irritate the skin at all.

Popular Topical