Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15 Reviews

Brand: Purpose

Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15

Good for young skin

I used this for years and really loved it. But as I got older, I realized that the sunscreen wasn't the best for strong sun exposure and that my skin needed a lot more moisturizer on a daily basis. So I swapped it out for 2 separate products, a straight up sunscreen (no built in moisutizer) and then a separate moisturizer. I feel like that combo really works for me. But this was great for when I was young and on a serious budget.

Works great for me

I have been using Purpose face moisturizer since I was a teen and my dermatologist recommended it for my skin type. I have never had a problem with it in all these years, approx. 20, with any changes in formula and all. It never breaks me out (which was the whole "purpose" of using it back then) nor does it feel greasy to me but I have more combination skin than dry. Fragrance and dye free is a plus. I have tried some of the touted anti-aging lotions for fine lines etc. but think I will just stick with Purpose. Those others did not make a marked difference nor did they feel good on my skin.

Average

I picked this up one day without every hearing of the brand before. I was excited to use it, because it was my first moisturizer that wasn't loaded with fragrance and chemicals, and I had high hopes for how it would work on my skin. I will agree with a previous reviewer, if you're medicated (with anything, really, in my experience) this may not be the best option for you. It did burn my face like crazy once I started using topical treatments prescribed to me or any OTC spot treatments, etc. However, before I started using those things, it was pretty great. It's heavier, and I do remember it making my face a bit oily/greasy. I think for someone with dry skin like me, it would be good to use before applying makeup so that there isn't any flaking, but I don't think that I ever wore this out on a naked face, because it looked just like I had applied an actual sunscreen to my face. I think it would be great for the winter or for people who have very, very dry skin. (however, if your skin is raw it's gonna burn like hell so I would stick to something like Cerave) IMHO, I agree with another reviewer that said that if you don't need the SPF, you should pass on this product. While it works, there are better options out there for the same (or lower) price.

Comments

Great winter moisturizer Relatively Lightweight Doesn't clog pores (for me, however it has comedogenic ingredients such as Glyceral Stearate) Absobrs Very Quickly Controls Flakes Can not be used with benzoyl peroxide Smells like sunscreen Too Greasy for people with oily skin I would recommend this product to people with combination skin that are looking for an adequate moisturizer to use during the winter. However, DO NOT use this if you medicate acne with benzoyl peroxide. It burns like mad, and makes my face red. It works fine with most Retinols, however.

Comments

Fragrance free, oil free, noncomedogenic, SPF 15, moisturizes well, not too heavy, convenient pump, gentle I have dry skin, but I don't like moisturizers that feel heavy on my skin. Purpose's Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion absorbs quickly, but hydrates my skin well enough so I don't get flaky. It makes my skin INCREDIBLY smooth. I've never broken out from it, either. Even though it's fragrance free (meaning there is no added fragrance), it does have a scent that is reminiscent of sunblock.

Comments

none new sunscreen ingredient, greasy I, like others, are very upset that J&J changed this formula. I cannot use it now, as the new sunscreen and formula make my face extremely greasy and caused little bumps to appear on around my frown lines, nose, and cheeks. After 2 hrs. of wearing this stuff, I literally wanted to take a washcloth and scrub my face at work. It felt so heavy, cakey, and sticky. After I started noticing the pimples, I quit using it.

Guest KayLynn
Guest KayLynn

None anymore. NOT good for sensitive skin anymore. Causes breakouts and burning since they added the ingredient oxybenzone. My dermatologist recommended this product for me when I was about 15 years old. I'm 39 now. It's been the most perfect lotion for my extra sensitive skin for all those years, until now. For some reason, they decided to change the ingredients and add oxybenzone. Now if I use it, I get hundreds of small bumps all over my forehead and my whole face burns and turns red. I've been trying to find a new product to use for the last 6 months or so, but I can't find one as good as Purpose used to be. Absolutely devastated.

Comments

Nice to have an SPF Quality Ingredients Unneccesary for night time Sub-par moisturizing action I'm a guy who needs quite a bit of moisturizer after showering and/or applying treatment. While this product did an adequate job, I need a product which allows me to put on a liberal amount without looking oily. If you don't need the SPF, pass on this product.

Guest Denise
Guest Denise

Long-lasting container, Gentle, Effective, Lightweight, SPF No SPF-free version available My face hates moisturizers because they feel greasey and heavy. This one does not. It's light, absorbs fairly well, and it doesn't take much for me to get the job done. I've had the same bottle for years. My only complaint is there is no non-SPF version for night-wear. I think SPF-free might be gentler, too.

Guest Mary
Guest Mary

spf, lightweight, does not clog pores I had severe acne in middle school once I hit puberty. I've been using this along w/ Cetaphil & Clinique products. Now I'm Acne Free for over 8 years. Yay!

Comments

- Recommended by my dermatologist. - Light feeling. - Does clog pores and oil free. - Has SPF - Doesn't irritate my skin even with new formula - Slight sunscreen smell when first applied but seems to diminish after. I have very sensitive skin and prone to acne. A lot the other moisturizers and cleansers with the SA and BP make my acne worse so I looked into this lotion along with the cleanser by the same line. I actually used this lotion years ago for a few months when my dermatologist gave me a few free samples. I'm not sure when they changed the formula but I'm assuming that the samples were the old formula and absolutely loved it but never could find it until recently. After I bought it i read some of these reviews on the formula change and was a little hesitant about using it but gave it a shot anyways. I've been using it for a week or so now and I personally haven't experience any of the irritations some of the others acquired from the new formula. It works just as I remembered it to and absolutely love it. I guess I'm just a lucky ones. My suggestion is that if you're a little iffy on buying this, go to you're dermatologist and see if they have any free samples. This way you can try it without paying the $10 or so it costs.

Guest Unknown
Guest Unknown

very lightweight but relieves dry skin great for acne prone skin doesn't clog pores doesn't leave a greasy feel I'm not a big fan of the sunscreen smell, but it could be worse. I have used a few different kinds of moisturizers, including cetaphil, but this is my favorite so far. It does say dermatologist recommended, & there must be a reason for that. I started using Retin-A b/c I've struggled with acne for about 6 years now, and since it is very drying on the skin, I needed a good moisturizer. I read reviews on this site and was a little skeptical, but results have been very good. Seems like my acne scars are going away, too. Love it!

Guest KJ
Guest KJ

- Recommended by my dermatologist - Daily use of SPF has kept my face young - Not oily and doesn't clog pores - Very gentle and non-irritating - Never causes me breakouts - Faint pleasant smell - No ads or gimicks - One bottle lasts a long time - My skin never feels dry - Good value - Once my store stopped carrying it so I had to order it from the pharmacist - Not the cheapest on the market I first started breaking out when I was 11 years old. My mom took me to a dermatologist because she didn't want me to have acne scars like she does. Dr. Hogan is a genius and I have been seeing him ever since, and I'm about to be 31! When I first went to see him he told me, among other things, to use Purpose moisturizing lotion. I have been using it two or three times a day ever since. I believe that two decades of use should be a testimony to how great this product is. It has definitely been a key part of fending off those dreaded pimples.

Guest girlie318
Guest girlie318

At this point I don't have any pros This lotion was working for me up until some time last year when I began to break out. I had no idea what was breaking me out until I read all of these reviews. I can't believe they would change an ingredient that so many people are allergic to. I have had itchy rashes on my face and very large itchy eczema patches on my neck for a while now. It's a horrible horrible lotion. DON'T get this product. If you have sensitive skin like me and many on here it can harm you more than help u. My face was burning and itching and still is at the moment. I am about to call the company and file a complaint. Once again BUYER BEWARE of this lotion.

Guest Anna
Guest Anna

Does Not break me out, has SPF, makes me have a "glow", and very affordable! I have none! Finally I have found a moisturizer that I can stick with. This product does not break me out ( and my face is very sensitive to different lotions). I Wash first with the Purpose Gentle Face wash and then use this lotion and my face feels great! It gives my face that "glow"! Applying the lotion and then applying my powder makeup gives me that dewy Matte look... I love it!!

Guest Rachel
Guest Rachel

-Doesn't make face sticky -Absorbs well -Contains sunscreen -Reduces redness -Moisturizes fantastically -Makes skin kind of oily -Doesn't help get rid of pimples This is a great moisturizer for dry skin. By far the best i've tried yet, definately. It slightly reduces redness and gets rid of dry, flaky patches. I love it! The only thing is - it makes my skin oily. Nothing an oil pad can't fix though. (:

Popular With SPF