Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Oral Contraceptive Reviews

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Oral Contraceptive

Wanting Some Results (UPDATE: DO NOT USE THIS)

So I've always had pretty average skin, some pimples but nothing major. Then, because of such great reviews, I decided to try a facial and a microdermabrasion at a spa and while that portion was nice, the workers recommended I use a dermalogica skin care kit, but after 2 weeks my face was terrible. So I decided to go the doctor to see what I could do and she recommended me antibiotics, a topical, and birth control to help with acne. So far I'm 3 months & 3 weeks in and my cheeks have broke out way worse (hormonal acne,something I've never had) and my mother keeps begging me to get off it because she thinks it's making it worse, but I keep insisting that it takes time for your body to adjust. Now I'm scared it's not working. My acne is only on my cheeks, something I've never had, and I keep up a simple yet consistent night/morning routine but nothing is working. I've decided to go on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for another 3/4 weeks to see how it goes (making it about 4 months and a week in total) and if it's gets better, I will continue, if not then I'm gonna stop taking it. I know some girls say that it takes up to 6 months to see improvement but I've been waiting for 3 months + just to see some change, so my patience is wearing thin. As for side effects, I've only noticed that I cry much easily than before but that's it. Will update ASAP. UPDATE 6/3/16: I went off the pill about a week after this post because I just couldn't take it anymore. Since then, I've had a very heavy period and I noticed that my hair (eyebrows and body hair) grows much faster and thicker. My skin does seem to be improving ever so slightly , but it's only been 5 days so let's see what the rest of the month holds in store. UPDATE (8/1/26): Ever since I stopped using this pill, most of my acne has cleared, maybe only like two or three pimples remain but the scarring left is so terrible :( When I wash my face I feel how smooth it is but then when I look at it, its so red and even brown in some spots. I look back at old photos of me without makeup and I realize how much better my skin was and it makes so irritated I took this in the first place. Please don't try this if you dont already have severe acne! If you have mild or moderate, it will only make it worse.

1st time on birthcontrol

I started getting lots of acne and have acne scars at the age of 26. I believe it was because I had an IUD. After taking out the IUD and being left with tons of acne and scars that would not go away I finally started ortho tri cyclen. I tried everything under the sun, so why not the birth control. After the very first month my skin cleared up so much. It's been two years and I still get acne around my cycle and have started getting a few zits here and there. I say don't wait to long and give it a shot if you've tried everything else. I may have gained 2-3lbs here and there but not a major deal, nor can I blame it on the birth control.

It stopped working

This birth control really did work for me for the first few years. At some point I guess my body got used the the birth control (per my doctor) and I started breaking out horribly again. The side effects were minimal when I was on it, and if it continued to work then this rating would be a 5 rather than a 3. I do encourage other women to give this birth control a try since it did work for me for about 5 years without any crazy mood swings, but I did experience some weight gain. If you are concerned about weight gain, my weight would fluctuate off and on while I was on this by about 10 pounds, for the most part I would stay right in the middle with a 4-6 pound gain, but around my period or times of high stress it would go up to a 10-12 pound gain. Different birth controls affect each woman differently so I can't say that every woman will experience the weight gain that I did, but I figured I would give you all a heads up.

Comments

More even skin tone, but not cure

My acne struggles started a few years ago. I had pretty severe acne mostly on my cheeks, but also small bumps all over. I tried a different brand first (Minastrin), but it seemed to be making it worse. Some of the other things I have tried are: most drugstore brands, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, liver supplements, oil cleansing, witch hazel, the list goes on. BC was my last option for the most part. I have been on OTC Lo for about 8 months now. The first 2-3 months didn't do much, but starting with the 4th month and beyond, it just got better and better. It has cleared my skin about 90%. I still break out around my period though. But my skin tone is clearer, the bumps have gone away, and the spots I do get are generally smaller and go away faster. Overall, I am a LOT happier with my skin than when I started. It truly has made a difference. My skin looks plumper, feels softer, and does not break out as much with different topicals. I currently take this pill, wash in the AM and PM with CeraVe foaming cleanser (with a konjac sponge at night), moisturize with argan oil in the AM, and use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel on spots at night. I use IT Cosmetics powder foundation (I have gone from heavy foundations and concealers to just a powder foundation!) This simple routine has helped me clear my skin up dramatically. HOWEVER, this will be my last pack. This pill has caused me bloating and persistent depression/anxiety. I realize now that this is just a cover and a blanket cure for my skin. If you think you have hormonal acne, I highly recommend looking into supplements such as DIM, Vitex, Calcium D-Glucarate, and Saw Palmetto. All can help hormonal acne by balancing hormones. I am planning on stopping this pill, and incorporating those supplements! Overall, as an acne treatment I give this a 4/4.5, and as a medication a 3/3.5. If you are struggling and need birth control for contraception as well, give it a shot, but understand the risks and realize it is synthetic hormones (this is making me feel less and less 'natural' every day). However, it can be beneficial. In general, it is not a cure, and only really masks the problem for a short time.

Comments

Works great for me. Acne struggler for 16 years.

I've had acne since I was 10 years old and now I am 26. It made me very self conscious and embarrassed all throughout school. I've tried everything from topical creams prescribed by dermatologists, proactive (for a few years), proactive knock-offs and Murad but nothing kept the acne away. It was a constant and exhausting battle. I have oily skin and ,by genetics, large pores. So the combo of the two was just a recipe for disaster. The type of acne I had were mainly white heads and sometimes cystic acne. I decided to try Ortho Tricyclen Lo last year and the first 2-3 months was just awful. My skin dried out, my chin was flaky and my chin and jawline were covered in pimples. My skin was worse than before but I heard about the first few months of the purging stage so I decided to ride it out. By the 3rd or 4th month my skin did start to improve. At that time I had also invested in a clarisonic mia and I think the combination of the two improved my skin dramatically. My skin is back to being oily but I don't break out like crazy anymore aside from the 1 or 2 pimples I get during my period. I am now on my 7th month of the pill and I have clear skin. The last time I had clear skin was 16 years ago. Wow. I don't know how long I will be on the pill for but whenever I decide to go off of it I hope my skin doesn't freak out and resort back to massive breakouts.

Crossing my fingers

I'm 15 and have been struggling with acne for three years, trying anything to get rid of it. I have horrible cysitc acne all along my chin and sides of my face with regular pimples that pop up everywhere else. Along with that I have many deep pimples on my back and neck. I began with drugstore remedies with no results. I took many prescriptions of Doxycycline and Metrocycline before realizing that I was actually terribly allergic to them, breaking out in rashes along my neck and having swollen eyelids. It was a nightmare. I turned to Proactive for quite a few months but it didn't work, it only relieved my acne for the first two or three months before I gave up. With yet another trip to the dermatologist, they prompted me to try accutane. However, I read that large booklet of information they gave me and realized that it's side effects could seriously harm me, more so because I'm female. After turning accutane down they recommended birth control. I preyed that my acne was a result of imbalanced hormones and gave it a shot with Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Today I am two weeks away from starting my third month but I hardly see results. I have more cysts on my chin and side of my face but I was warned that it may get worse before getting better, like most medicines. I don't want to give up on BC and truthfully, I don't know if I can handle having acne like this. I am depressed about how I look and how much energy I have to have to appear normal. I wake up an hour or so earlier than anyone I know to cover my acne, and even then it's still noticeable. It affects my interaction with others and focus during school because I'm too hung up on "my acne is horrible people probably thing I'm gross". Summer time is hard too because I can't enjoy going to a public pool and I try not to wear makeup. I've sadly come to the decision that if this doesn't work then I'll turn to accutane, my last resort. But some of these reviews give me hope. After the three months mark I should see more improvements. It's hard to imagine having a clear face after taking my acne day to day for three years. So please, please, please work Ortho Tri-Cyclen!

I have a 15 year old daughter who is about to try ortho try-clen lo for the first time for her severe cystic acne. Thank you for sharing your review. May I ask if you are still on it and has it started helping?

working so far

I've been on trip cyclen lo for about 2 months now going onto my third month in about 2 weeks, but i do see a difference in my acne scars they have faded a lot recently but the only problem is I've been breaking out a lot on my chin and forehead (more my chin) i just really hope by the end of the third month everything will get better and everything will clear up

Did nothing for acne

This is a low estrogen pill. The benefit of that is that it generally has very few side effects. I had no side effects. However, I took this pill for two whole years and it resulted in 0 improvement in my acne. I learned after the fact that low estrogen pills do not usually help with acne. Also, it is extremely costly for a birth control, as there is no generic. Though I would recommend it as a form of birth control, I would not recommend it in the treatment of acne.

Cystic Acne Completely Gone After 5 Months

I had been on this pill for most of my adult life, and had gone off of it at age 26. Six months or so after I stopped taking it, I began to get the worst acne of my life. I was getting 3 or more deep painful pimples, as well as many, many clogged pores and many smaller pimples. I had been off the pill at other times, and had never had that much of an issue, all though I did get acne. As a side note, I strongly suspect the reason I was getting acne worse than ever, was a combination of being off birth control AND drinking a lot of caffeine. But that is another story. I really did not want to go back on BC pills, so I worked hard to clean up my diet. I do want to say that that made a BIG difference, but I was still getting 1 or 2 deeper pimples, not as deep but still not right on the surface. It would happen if I ate ANYthing that I should not have been eating, so I figured that unless I wanted to live like a monk, I should go back on BC pills. So I went to the doc and asked for a prescription. She explained that the acne should be better by 3 months. At 3 months, it was much better, but I was still getting some. I just want to tell anyone who is on this pill now, that after 3 months, it just gets better and better. It has now been a little over 5 months, and my acne is completely gone. Well, at this time I have 3 tiny ones, but those don't even count because they are not visible to the eye. Just very tiny surface bumps from sweating in the Texas heat. I am sad to have to be on the pill, but so happy to not have to worry about acne at all anymore. Also, I do have some scaring. Nothing too bad, but I have some enlarged pores and one small pockmark type scar that I am not sure will completely heal. I want to mention this because when they first appeared, the scars were MUCH worse and I really thought I was going to be badly scarred. I am happy to report that they have gotten so much smaller and shallower, and really are barely noticeable now unless you get right up to my face. Plus I think they will get even better. So, if you had a similar case of acne, keep your head up!

Very helpful! Thank you. I have been on this brand for 2 months now and notice a difference in the presence of acne on my face. Most of the pimples are gone, just have to worry about the scars disappearing. I will be patient. Thanks again 4 the great advice :)

Amazing!!!

I have use Yaz for over five years it did control my acne for a while however last year I started to get horrible cystic acne all over my face. After much suffering I finally decided to switch to a different kind so I began using ortho tri cyclen low. I expected to have the worse brake out of my life but it has been 2 weeks and my skin is so much better than before. I don't have oily skin anymore and finally no new more cystic acne coming out. I have never recommend anything but this pills are truly working for me

no mood swings

or weight gain! I like this one. I went from diane 35 to this so my acne was under control but after over a year on it my skin is starting up again. hopefully this and acne.org can make it go away!

Working so far

Works quick cleared my skin (not completely yet) If missed dose, I break out the next morning I have not finished my first month quite yet, but I do see a difference. I have had acne since the fourth grade and it has been embarrassing. It was always on the lower half of my face. Of course my friends and my boyfriend have always said it isn't that bad, but without the help of makeup it truly was a disaster. My skin on my chin area is completely destroyed, I can barley feel it when I touch it. This pill has truly worked fast and has regulated my periods as well. I have been on many antibiotics prescribed by a dermatologist, and I was a afraid of accutane so I tried this instead. I am glad I did.

Comments

Acne completely gone after!

No acne or bacne! no babies! fewer cramps! spotting remembering to take it at the same time every day Even though I had suffered from facial acne for over ten years, I recently started to get horrible bacne for the first time in my life. I changed every single shampoo, body wash, detergent, etc trying to pinpoint the cause, but finally, after a year of trying to figure it out, it finally dawned on me. My acne might be hormonal. After doing a lot of research on which birth control would be best for acne, I made an appointment at Planned Parenthood. When I got there, I told them my problem and they handed me a year's supply of birth control for free. After taking it for about three months, my face and back COMPLETELY CLEARED. My skin hasn't looked this good since I was on accutane! Before getting on Ortho, I would have at least ten zits on my face at a time. Now, I have maybe one small one. I haven't had a zit on my back since this medicine kicked in. I'm so happy. If you are able to take birth control, it's worth a shot!

Do you find that your skin is very dry now, though. I'm 30 and hate the acne, but don't want to look like I'm going through menopause with extremely dry skin
Just to clarify, this is the ortho tri cyclen lo you are on ? Or just the regular ortho tri cyclen?

Highly recommend!!!

Gets rid of hormonal acne Periods are not heavy Lost weight Remembering to take the pill everyday None None I've had my tubes tied for 12 years but decided to try this pill because I was tired of Adult acne and tried everything to get rid of it. I am writing to tell you that for the first time in my life I am not only acne free but finally can be out in public without wearing makeup!!! It's unbelievable how much this pill has changed my life after suffering from embarrassing acne since 12 years old. It takes about two to three months and your face will break out but then will be amazingly clear. It's so worth it. It's almost been a year for me and it still works. I hope that I inspire others to try it.

Thanks for the info! I just started taking this...looking forward to the results :)
Started taking two weeks ago and seem to be breaking out??? Will that go away?
Guest katie
Guest katie

Not a total cure, but definitely helps to clear hormonal acne and control oil. Horrible breakouts, hair loss when stopped. I feel stuck on this pill. I've taken accutane, which worked temporarily but my acne gradually creeped back. Desogen did nothing to help my skin, so I switched to Ortho Lo. This pill helped to clear my skin - I still got the occasional zit, but I was virtually clear about 5 months in. I decided to go off the Pill to give my body a break. BIG mistake... acne came back horribly, hair was falling out in clumps. Went back on the pill, and now 3.5 months in my skin is better but not nearly as good as it was before I went off.

Comments

Clears Skin You have to pass three months to get the full potential of this pill or any birth control pill. You have to be on time with taking the pills and not missing any for this to work properly. I have tried other birth controls pills but this worked best for the acne situation. It does take three months to see its full qualities though and if u mess up a pill, its like starting those three months over from that day. First month or two u probably will have cystic acne especially on ur chin and it can be worse then u ever had. After three months I have literally no acne. I have suffered for years so im in love with this medication. It makes ur period come on the same day each month and it does become lighter and less painful after three months.

Comments

Clears skin possible weight gain I have tried numerous treatments and this by far is the only thing that kept my acne under control. I suffer from hormonal acne so if thats your issue birth control is your best trick

Popular Oral