Mircette Oral Contraceptive Reviews

Brand: Mircette

Mircette Oral Contraceptive

Saved My Sanity

No acne feminizing effects some side effects but still bearable can cause insulin resistance I've been on Mircette nonstop for 15 years to control my very severe cystic acne with excellent results. I had painful cysts all over my face covering every inch except for my eyelids. I couldn't smile because it was so painful. By the sixth month of starting Mircette, my skin was 98% clear. I keep receiving compliments on how beautiful my skin is. I don't use any special acne topical treatments or cleansers. I definitely think the root of my acne is hormonal. I had a boyish stick figure type of body. I did not develop hips or breasts until I started this pill. I gained weight in the right places. Standing at 5'5" I went from 95lbs at age 18 to 118lbs today at age 35. My child-like face went through feminizing changes which men found attractive. Side effects? A bit depressed, a bit tired, a little out of breath climbing up stairs, no libido, but these problems are nothing compared to the torture I went through with severe acne. Recent blood tests show normal liver functions, but very high triglycerides and LDL, high inflammation, low testosterone. I read birth control pills can spike inflammation. But I think I inherited metabolic syndrome. My mother has diabetes and all her adult life she always had oily skin with huge pores. I can no longer take Mircette because it's now causing me hypoglycemia and insomnia, problems which I've never had before. Birth control pills can cause insulin resistance which poses a high risk for diabetes. Mircette was really a good friend to me all these years but now I must look for a different answer.

Guest Tazzy
Guest Tazzy

This birth control seems to be a little more effective than the tri-spintec i was on but my previously clear skin is breaking out and i have gone up 2 cup sizes which is quite annoying, although so far it is better than the last set of pills i was on maybe i need to adjust.

Guest Jen
Guest Jen

Shorter/lighter period (4-5 days), less moodiness, no weight gain, no acne issues (but don't have a history of it) Low sex drive, vaginal dryness I've been on Mircette for over 4 years. I have tried multiple birth control pills including the generic form of Mircette (had a terrible experience on the generic). I love Mircette because my periods usually only last about 4 days and are extremely light. I also feel since there are no true "sugar pills" with Mircette it keeps my mood more consistent. I would definitely recommend this birth control, but what everyone needs to remember one pill doesn't work the same in everyone....hence all the conflicting reviews and numerous options for birth control. I choose to pay the branded price ($25 for me) because as you all know once you have had a bad experience with one birth control and you finally find the one that works for you IT'S WORTH IT!

Guest gabby
Guest gabby

absolutly none at all! the entire pill! I was on the pill for two months and it did absolutly nothing to help me, It actually cause me to get blood clots in my lungs and put me in the hospitol, It didn't clear any acne and it caused me extreme stomachpain. I gained weight while taking this pill. NeVER NEVER take this pill!

Guest Lesley
Guest Lesley

No weight gain, no water retention, normal appetite, keeps acne under control, very light periods, keeps moodiness to a minimum. Some spotting after sex week before placebo pills, reduced libido, vaginal dryness, very expensive for brand (tried generic Kariva and hated it), breast soreness, possible slight gastrointestinal irregularity. I have used Mircette for 5 years and love it! I got hooked after having no success with Yasmin (intense appetite) or with Orthotricyclen Lo (appetite, moodiness). I am a thin person from a thin family and I am very sensitive to the slightest hormone supplementation. With Mircette, the breast tenderness around the time of my period is inconvenient, and I feel like my libido isn't what it should be for my age of 29 years old. The vaginal dryness is manageable and my husband is very accommodating. I stopped Mircette 4 months ago to try Lutera, another ultra-low dose birth control, because it is only $15/month and seemed like it would be similar to Mircette. Although the severe acne side effect was unbearable and increasingly unmanageable (mainly jawline acne). I have gone back to Mircette and will stay put despite the fact that it is difficult to get and not covered by my Aetna PPO insurance. If you have to be on birth control and are very sensitive to the hormones, then this seems to be as good as it gets.

Comments

None. At all. If I could give it a negative five rating, I would. - Worst breakout I have ever had in my life almost immediately after going on it to treat moderate acne. - Immediate unfixable hunger, and subsequent weight gain. - Gastro-intenstinal issues & heartburn...? I am 20 years old and have been experiencing some bad acne. More moderate than anything. I used to be on Yaz in high school for my acne then (which was similar but less severe), which cleared my skin completely for about a year. However, it did cause me to gain 28 pounds, which on a petite person is quite a bit of weight. After a year of taking it, I went off Yaz, and my acne didn't return. I had clear, pretty skin for about another full year. When it started up again I went back to the doctor, who decided it was a great idea to put me on a pill with a different hormone balance than Yaz. I currently just stopped taking the generic brand 'Kariva', more commonly known as Mircette. I have been on this pill for a week and a half exactly. I scoured the internet looking for some kind of hope that this initial breakout stage would only last a little while, and it would get better now because it couldn't get any worse. After finding nothing, I decided last night to stop taking the pill. I currently have the worst breakout I have ever had in my life. I have tried many different things for acne, just like everyone else here, I'm sure. But I am breaking out all over my face, every kind of acne. In places I don't normally break out. Cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, nodules. You name it. I have severe Dermatillomania and my skin looks so bad now. For the first few days it seemed to have gotten a bit clearer to it's credit. But it just kept going downhill after that, and rapidly. In addition to the lovely acne symptoms, I started being hungry all the time again, and I could already feel myself starting to put on weight again. My GI tract has not been at all normal or in any way regular since beginning this dreadful pill, which doesn't seem to help the acne either. If you've read this far and are considering taking this pill, save your money and your time. It is a poison to your body, your mind, and it only makes everything wors

Guest Michelle
Guest Michelle

Loved it. Easy to start and no side effects at all. Was on Mircette for over 10 years then starting using generic because it was cheaper. Because I was on it for so long and the generic is known to cause breakthrough bleeding, I developed bleeding after having sex. Because of the bleeding afte sex, I changed bc to Loestrin 24 Fe. I had no other side effects on this pill except weight gain and low sex drive. I gained over 40 lbs on this pill and can't stand to look at myself in a mirror. No matter what I do I can't lose the weight and keep gaining. I've had everything checked out, bloodwork, sleep study, etc... but I think it's the pill. My matabolism is very low too. I am switching back to Mircette - the name brand (no generics) next month. I am hoping I found the cause of the weight gain and I will start to lose the weight that I should have not gained. I can't be on a high level birth control otherwise I get very mooddy and Mircette never did that to me in all the years I was taking it. I didn't want to go off of it but had to because of the bleeding. I hope the bleeding doesn't come back since my body had a break from Mircette for about a year now.

Comments

I used to have cramps for week straight when I got on Mircette I only have cramps the first day of my period. Period is alot lighter and less days. Also no weight gain what so ever and no scares! I believe this is a great birth control pill being that it is a low dosage. I cannot agree on the sex drives but then everyone is different. This pill has worked perfectly for me! I have been taking it for 3 years and shorter and lighter periods but you still have a normal cycle, no acne, no weight gain... It worked for me just very expensive (you pay for what you get)

Guest Angela
Guest Angela

Cleared skin , no weight gain, no moodiness. no cramps ! Loved the packaging NONE I have taken this birth control birth on a contiunous basis , no periods what so ever for 10 years. I loved it !! My hormones were always level and no cramps , no spotting. Nice skin. I never had any problems :)

Guest Duda
Guest Duda

NONE. PLEASE, NEEEEEVEEERR TAKE THIS BC! I am serious, you have no idea how depressed I was, NO SEX DRIVE, moodiness, I would get home and not even bother saying hi to my husband. It was HORRIBLE. DONT TAKE IT!!!!

Guest Dee
Guest Dee

I can't say there are any pro's all BC works the same with me I still have 7 day periods, still have cramps...I guess the only great thing is the clear skin and I'm not pregnant! LOW LOW LOW NON EXISITENT SEX DRIVE I don't know I'm pissed cause I stopped taking it for a month and my sex drive came back with a vengence. THANKYOU!!! but I don't know if I want the BC back now.

Guest princess
Guest princess

lighter periods && no pain during periods lower sex drive it kinda helped mi acne but it's still there.. it lowers the amount of sex you want and at first you might get a lot of nausea!! i have maintained mi weigh.

Guest Nina
Guest Nina

Definitely clearer skin. But most importantly I felt I had more energy which resulted in weight loss. They only disadvantage is that my insurance doesn't cover it, so it's expensive. Also not many doctors carry this brand in their office. So no luck getting any free. (lol) I must admit every birth control pill I ever started, I had to give up due to side effects, causing me to try too many different types. I was given Mircette when I changed doctors, and she advised that many insurances do not cover it. But once I started using Mircette I was hooked. At first there's slight nausea, but that passes. What I loved was how beautiful my skin looked after 3 months. I also lost all my baby weight, going from 127 to 109 (I'm petite). I couldn't believe it, I had so much energy. But definitely be ready to have NO sex life (you just dont want it!) A few months ago as I was trying to cut expenses, my doctor advised on the generic version. It was horrible, whatever you do dont go there, it's not worth it, believe me, the side effects & the odor, NO! And that is why I'm back on Mircette, I dont care how much it costs. But ladies it's very important that you keep in mind that every body is different, and you cant base your decisions on other's experience.

Guest Jessica K.
Guest Jessica K.

Very light almost non-existent periods. Clear skin! Very dry skin, HORRIBLE mood, period never came when it was suppose to, absolutely NO sex drive at all!!! I was on Mircette for 7 months. During the first two months I had horrible migraines. Then my mood started to change, I had severe anxiety, and an almost violent attitude, which is NOT like me, I'm one of the most laid back people you have ever met. I thought maybe I was having issues with my thyroid that the pills were either giving me too much horomones or not enough, but thyroid checked out just fine. Also, I would take my pill every evening at 10:00 pm, I was never even 10 mins late taking it, and I never got my period when I was suppose to. I'd end up starting my period during the last two days of the week due. I skipped one pill during my 28days and had a period for 8 days. I've been off of the pills now for 2 weeks, and I feel great!!! I will NEVER AGAIN take Mircette.

Guest Katie
Guest Katie

Clears up acne immediately. Decreased hair loss. Eyelashes became super long and thick! Prevents pregnancy. Severe migraine headaches. Depression. Zero libido. Side affects were unbearable and I had to discontinue use after three months. I later read that this pill should not be prescribed to women with a history of migraine. Moderate to severe acne returned after I stopped taking it. I will now be trying Spironolactone because it has fewer side affects.

Guest Blaze
Guest Blaze

controls acne nicely, I had barely any breakouts while on this pill, however it wont just clear it up, you should use an antibiotic with it to clear up your existing acne first. causes bloating, I had a couple of headaches on it the first month. Also LOWERS you sex drive like no other pill. This is a good pill, except for the bloating and lack of sex drive. It's very helpful for women with horomonal acne :)

Guest Officionada
Guest Officionada

No pimples, periods on cue like clockwork, no cramps!, no moodiness - aka no PMS, I had no blood-spotting at all, my libido was definitely higher, went from 140lbs to my ever lowest 125lbs and I am 5'7". I was under my ideal weight. Reminding myself to take the pill everyday. I have to say, the first month of taking this pill; you will have bloating, headache, and nausea. The 5th week all the hormones stabilized and I was pimples free and cramp free for 2 years. Mircette was perfect for me and I honestly have no complaints what-so-ever. I took it for 2 years, and my skin was at its smoothest! I can't believe for the first time since I was a teenager that I didn't have those whiteheads, those underneath the skin acne, etc...I stopped because I was tired of reminding myself to take a pill. I just needed a break. But with this break came the consequences. It has been a year since I stopped taking it and my acne is back and my ridiculous-cold sweat-ovary cramps are back. So within a month or two I am going back to Mircette. There's one thing that is different with my Mircette intake, I didn't take the placebo pills. I only took the three rows of white pills and only those. If you want to go that route, make sure you okay it with your physician first. I was a stickler when it came down to having my period every month cause I didn't mind cramp free-4 day-very light bleeding-periods. Plus, I am not a smoker and I am only a wine soci

Guest Stephanie
Guest Stephanie

Small pill, not pregnant, predictable period, reduced cramps. Some spotting, no clearing of acne, little weight gain. I don't mind taking this stuff, but my insurance company sent me the generic version (kariva). I refuse to even try Kariva because of the other reviews I've read. Things such as severe weight gain, sever mood swings and depression, loss of apetite and loss of hair. I like Mircette though. I used to have terrible cramps, but not I'm cramp free. =] I wish it'd help with acne though, but maybe it just needs more time. I haven't seen my face clear up any or get worse at all.

Guest Lauren
Guest Lauren

I'm not pregnant Very low libido, dryness, spotting I don't get it. I took this pill for 5 days and stopped because it screwed my body up so bad within the first week. Literally the first day I started taking it, my period completely vanished and then a couple days later I started spotting and never stopped. Maybe one day i'll find a good birth control pill

Guest Kirsten
Guest Kirsten

Semi-lighter periods. Affordable. Low libido and dryness. Minor breakouts, when before taking I had clear skin. Spotting between periods. Switched from NuvaRing to Mircette because of affordibility. More cons than pros. Main issues are low libido and spotting, which adds to the libido issue. :( Ordered 3 months at a time, so will have to stick it out until I get a new prescription.

Guest Jessi
Guest Jessi

It clears up acne a bit. Made my periods very regular and light! No sex drive. Takes a while for acne clearing power to come in. When first starting-I got anxiety and stomach upset. Goes away. I want to have a sexy more than the moderate clearing affects. I'm looking to switch.

Guest Julie
Guest Julie

Not pregnant, some weight loss, loss of appetite, predictable period and PMS.. PMS has significantly improved. I notice my emotional outbursts went from like a 10 to a 3-4. Can't wear my contacts anymore, discomfort started while taking Mircette;About the sex drive, I want it but I am too tired, have not noticed any lube issues.First two weeks got sick to stomach if I did not take it on time or if I took it to early. Mircette has a 4/5 rating with me. For the fluctuating times I taking it and forgetting to take it until late at night I have done ok. I am on my second pack,last week and look forward to to my Wednesday period. My husband is happier with my moods. I usually break out around period time, but of course thats because the dose is lower and you have 2 placebo days. During the active pills every thing is golden.

Guest Ashley
Guest Ashley

It's easy to use and frangrance free... Eat more, hasn't helped with acne, NO LIBIDO!! MOODINESS! I started taking Mircette in April. Everyone has noticed a mood change including me. I don't have a lot of acne and this didn't really help with it. I don't even want to think about sex... EVER! and that my friends, is the exact opposite of what i used to be like. :) i would say if you're already moody and don't want to have sex.. use it.

Popular Oral